• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I... think I got my MBA? Submitted all my paperwork along with my thesis and got asked if I was attending graduation.

Hmm.

Just got my doctorate in medicine this past Saturday. Will start residency in about a month.

Congrats! Are you looking into a specific specialty at this point?

As for me - I just passed my Ph.D. final defense! I need to make some modifications to my dissertation and then deposit by July 15th for August graduation. Tomorrow, the post-doc applications roll out. Also, my current fellowship runs through December, so if I don't have a position by July 15th, I can hold onto my dissertation and graduate in December instead. I don't want to have to wait that long, but I'm happy I have some buffer... just in case.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

As for me - I just passed my Ph.D. final defense! I need to make some modifications to my dissertation and then deposit by July 15th for August graduation. Tomorrow, the post-doc applications roll out. Also, my current fellowship runs through December, so if I don't have a position by July 15th, I can hold onto my dissertation and graduate in December instead. I don't want to have to wait that long, but I'm happy I have some buffer... just in case.

Congrats Soka!

I'm now ~3 months into my first post-MSc job and still only barely know what I'm doing as ~25% Lab Manager, 75% Research Technician.

Congrats Soka!

I'm now ~3 months into my first post-MSc job and still only barely know what I'm doing as ~25% Lab Manager, 75% Research Technician.

I feel like managing a lab and working as a technician is a cool job as long as you work with cool people, but cruddy if you work with jerks. I hope you're working with cool people!

And thanks. I just defended this afternoon but haven't had time to celebrate; I had a webinar to present and just now finished that. My wife orders pizza and I'm gonna head home shortly to intercept that. Then tomorrow I think I'll spend an hour or two catching up on house chores before starting work anew as a post-defense person.

Itachi87

I'll be starting Family Medicine residency in July. Congrats to you as well.

Diancecht

Studying a Master of Arts degree on digital media and I am finally done with my modules. Now I am going to have to write my master's by practice project in three months. I am a bit stressed but I am confident in the project I have chosen.

Hello guys; Computer Science Ph.D. reporting in. I graduated over a year ago, and have been working on getting some papers published. Last week I finally got published in a respectable journal, after trying for 5 years. Man, it’s hard. Anyway, my current research field involves computer vision on custom developed hardware. Anyone working on these topics?

Synless

3 weeks left until I graduate with my MBA. God damn long ride it has been, I can't wait to be done with it all.

I want to get an MBA in marketing and I will need to take the GMAT. The thing is that I have not taken any math since I was in college a few years ago. Do any of you have any advice to tackle this first step?

Have people who have gone for an MBA thought it was worth it? It seems all the good schools are beating each other for most expensive in the world.

Hell yeah. Was worth every penny and then a lot more. Only thing I wish is that I would have done it earlier. Also wish I would have added 1 more year to get the JD/MBA combo.

But you don't need to go to a "good" school unless you want to get into Wall Street or something.

I got mine from a state school with an ROI of about 8 years. Unless you go to Booth, Wharton, Stanford or Harvard it doesn't really matter where the MBA comes from in the real world.

I want to get an MBA in marketing and I will need to take the GMAT. The thing is that I have not taken any math since I was in college a few years ago. Do any of you have any advice to tackle this first step?

Math is fairly basic on the GMAT. It's just more tricky if anything. Pick up a review book (the official books are good) and do practice problems and tests.

I got mine from a state school with an ROI of about 8 years. Unless you go to Booth, Wharton, Stanford or Harvard it doesn't really matter where the MBA comes from in the real world.

I don't agree with this. Top 20/30 schools mean something. And it depends on what you are focusing in. Some schools specialize and have connections with very specific industries.

An MBA at Minnesota State University is absolutely not the same thing as an MBA from Northwestern.

I don't agree with this. Top 20/30 schools mean something. And it depends on what you are focusing in. Some schools specialize and have connections with very specific industries.

An MBA at Minnesota State University is absolutely not the same thing as an MBA from Northwestern.

The four schools listed weren't exclusive of all other schools. There are top tier business schools and then everyone else. If you're not in the top tier, then it doesn't really matter where you go.

If ROI is a concern, and you're not particularly interested in one very specific field (like getting onto Wall Street, like I mention) then it doesn't really matter. If you're just working marketing for CPG and you live in California for example, getting an MBA from an expensive private school like Pepperdine or Claremont isn't better than going to a public school like UC Riverside or San Jose State.

But I would say that the biggest part of where you get your MBA is the networking opportunities that come with it. If you want to work in a certain field, go to a school where that is common. It makes meeting people easier, and it's all about who you know.

Sure. And I only think of Pepperdine because I wish I could have gone there lol. But my broke grad school ass couldn't swing it at the time.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The four schools listed weren't exclusive of all other schools. There are top tier business schools and then everyone else. If you're not in the top tier, then it doesn't really matter where you go.

If ROI is a concern, and you're not particularly interested in one very specific field (like getting onto Wall Street, like I mention) then it doesn't really matter. If you're just working marketing for CPG and you live in California for example, getting an MBA from an expensive private school like Pepperdine or Claremont isn't better than going to a public school like UC Riverside or San Jose State.

Weirdly, every time I pop into this thread Pepperdine (where I got my MBA) gets mentioned. I didn't think it was a big enough school for people to know about it.

But I would say that the biggest part of where you get your MBA is the networking opportunities that come with it. If you want to work in a certain field, go to a school where that is common. It makes meeting people easier, and it's all about who you know.

SMattera

But you don't need to go to a "good" school unless you want to get into Wall Street or something.

Obviously this isn't true: Just look at the employment reports.

Schools ranked in the 10-30 range send people to much better companies (where they get paid much more) than schools in the 40-60 range. Moreover, there's a heavy geographic component. Once you get outside of say, the top 15 programs, the region where you go to school is very likely to be where you find work. There's self-selection at play, to an extent, but the employers that target those schools are usually regional employers.

MBA programs vary quite drastically in the outcomes they offer, frankly. Before considering one, get the employment report and read it carefully. Find the list of the companies that provide the most internships to students that attend that school, etc.

Obviously this isn't true: Just look at the employment reports.

Schools ranked in the 10-30 range send people to much better companies (where they get paid much more) than schools in the 40-60 range. Moreover, there's a heavy geographic component. Once you get outside of say, the top 15 programs, the region where you go to school is very likely to be where you find work. There's self-selection at play, to an extent, but the employers that target those schools are usually regional employers.

MBA programs vary quite drastically in the outcomes they offer, frankly. Before considering one, get the employment report and read it carefully. Find the list of the companies that provide the most internships to students that attend that school, etc.

The ONLY point I was trying to make to the guy was that if he was concerned about the cost of an MBA program was that it wasn't absolutely necessary to go to a high cost school unless he was looking at getting into one of the top programs.

Further, an MBA from a high cost private school outside of the elite does not guarantee any success that cannot be achieved with an MBA from an other lower cost program.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Sure. And I only think of Pepperdine because I wish I could have gone there lol. But my broke grad school ass couldn't swing it at the time.

It's a beautiful campus for sure, but I wouldn't say that you missed out on too much.

Frankly, the school isn't managed all that well, and they're squandering any opportunity they have to make the school great. If they wanted, they could have specialized in Social, Environmental and Ethical Responsibility, but they let the champion of the program get away because it's a lot easier to get Chinese millionaires to send their kids there.

I don't know, it's a fine program with a lot of good professors and good people, but I was in student government and saw how hard those good professors had to fight against the administration to make the school better.

There's a new dean though, so maybe things will change.

SMattera

The ONLY point I was trying to make to the guy was that if he was concerned about the cost of an MBA program was that it wasn't absolutely necessary to go to a high cost school unless he was looking at getting into one of the top programs.

Sure, but your characterization of "there's elite schools and then there's everyone else" is wrong.

Cost should be secondary to outcome. If the school you're considering doesn't offer the outcome that you want, cost is irrelevant.

Say you want to work in the entertainment industry and live in LA. You apply to USC and UCLA. USC offers to comp half your tuition; UCLA gives you nothing. In that instance, USC may be the better choice, given that it's in line with your goals, and less expensive. But if you wanted to work in Silicon Valley, UCLA becomes the better choice regardless of the price difference.

Figure out what you want to do with your MBA. Find schools that align with that and apply to them. Then assess cost.

Further, an MBA from a high cost private school outside of the elite does not guarantee any success that cannot be achieved with an MBA from an other lower cost program.

At least within the top 40, the price difference between public and private MBAs is not significant. All are roughly $100k. If you happen to live within the state, you can get some help, but it's not nearly as much as undergrad. For example, the difference between Michigan resident and out-of state tuition pricing is about $10k -- $100k vs $110k. There are a few notable exceptions, such as Texas Austin and UNC. If you live in those states, you should lean heavily towards those programs. But this just underscores my point that you can't paint with a broad brush and you should really spend some time researching various programs.

Sure, but Step 1 is deciding whether or not to go. Cost both in actual dollars spent or debt acquired, along with opportunity cost, is a major hurdle.

Once that decision is made, then Step 2 is determining what type of MBA one would want, Step 3 is deciding which programs are a fit, Step 4 etc etc.

I was just trying to help the person address Step 1. If cost is a huge barrier, don't worry. There are programs that aren't necessarily high cost that could help that person achieve their goals. A Pepperdine MBA costs $106k. An MBA from San Jose State is $26k for residents and $39k for non-residents. A Wharton MBA costs $170k. Those are some big differences. And someone shouldn't be discouraged from getting an MBA because they can't afford a six figure program or don't want to take on that kind of student loan debt.

I'm not trying to pick a school for the poster, or rank top 30 programs, or say USC drools UCLA rules. Just that it's okay to not go to a super expensive program if that's going to make or break the decision to go after an MBA. My goodness.

SMattera

Sure, but Step 1 is deciding whether or not to go. Cost both in actual dollars spent or debt acquired, along with opportunity cost, is a major hurdle.

Once that decision is made, then Step 2 is determining what type of MBA one would want, Step 3 is deciding which programs are a fit, Step 4 etc etc.

I was just trying to help the person address Step 1. If cost is a huge barrier, don't worry. There are programs that aren't necessarily high cost that could help that person achieve their goals. A Pepperdine MBA costs $106k. An MBA from San Jose State is $26k for residents and $39k for non-residents. A Wharton MBA costs $170k. Those are some big differences. And someone shouldn't be discouraged from getting an MBA because they can't afford a six figure program or don't want to take on that kind of student loan debt.

I'm not trying to pick a school for the poster, or rank top 30 programs, or say USC drools UCLA rules. Just that it's okay to not go to a super expensive program if that's going to make or break the decision to go after an MBA. My goodness.

But the assumptions behind your calculation are flawed.

You gave the example of Wharton. Yes, you may have to take on $200k of debt to get a Wharton MBA. But with that degree, you can land a job starting at $150k/year and make many times more than that over the course of your career. The career options of a Wharton MBA are, on average, going to be much better than the career options of an MBA from San Jose State. Even paying Wharton's hefty tuition, you'd probably be much better off financially in the long-run.

On the other hand, there are inexpensive MBA programs from no-name schools that cost $20k-$30k. But they aren't even worth that.

The price of an MBA is only relevant in the context of what it offers.

The price of an MBA is only relevant in the context of what it offers.

But it doesn't offer anything. An average doesn't guarantee someone getting that degree anything. It's still up to the individual to do the work, get the interviews, land the job and then succeed at it.

It's flawed thinking to assume that just because one attends a certain school that they are guaranteed some return from it. Perhaps the average is higher at the upper tier schools because the level of talent entering the school is better and not just the result of the name of the school on the diploma?

If someone wants to attend a big name school and pay a lot of money to get that MBA, they are certainly entitled to feel superior to all the low-level state school scum. Doesn't mean the state school scum can't out work, out think and perform better with greater return than someone who overpays so they can brag about their big name school piece of paper.

On the other hand, there are inexpensive MBA programs from no-name schools that cost $20k-$30k. But they aren't even worth that.

And this is just ridiculous. As someone with almost 20 years in industry now, hiring and working with people from all sizes of schools, the name of the school from which the MBA came had absolutely no bearing on the talent or aptitude of the person holding the degree. I've worked with idiots that came from Columbia and some of the smartest people I've ever worked with from schools like CS Northridge.

alvmew

Finally get to join this thread - finished my undergrad last month, and am starting law school at UCLA this August. Hello, everyone. :)

SMattera

But it doesn't offer anything. An average doesn't guarantee someone getting that degree anything. It's still up to the individual to do the work, get the interviews, land the job and then succeed at it.

It's flawed thinking to assume that just because one attends a certain school that they are guaranteed some return from it.

If someone wants to attend a big name school and pay a lot of money to get that MBA, they are certainly entitled to feel superior to all the low-level state school scum. Doesn't mean the state school scum can't out work, out think and perform better with greater return than someone who overpays so they can brag about their big name school piece of paper.

Averages are useful in that they paint an accurate picture of the outcomes a would-be student can expect. Yes, you can be a Special Little Snowflake and do much better, but I don't think you should invest tens of thousands of dollars in the hopes that it works out that way. Odds are, it won't.

This isn't about bragging about the school you went to, inflating your ego, making yourself feel superior, or "state school scum." (lol wut) It's simply math, and real world dollars and cents.

Berkeley Haas MBA. Cost of tuition: $112k (non-resident). Average base salary: $123k/yr with an average signing bonus of $28k. 62% of students go into tech or consulting. Top employers include Google, Adobe, Deloitte, McKinsey, Goldman Sachs.

Michigan State Broad MBA. Cost of tuition: $90k (non-resident). Average base salary: $100k/r with an average signing bonus of $15k. Over half of students go into supply chain. Top employers include General Motors, Cummins, Mars, Intel, Amazon.

There are cheap schools that are worth the money, and cheap schools that aren't. There are expensive schools that are worth the money, and expensive schools that aren't. MBA programs vary quite a bit, and you should start by defining your aspirations before you look into the cost of attendance.

And this is just ridiculous. As someone with almost 20 years in industry now, hiring and working with people from all sizes of schools, the name of the school from which the MBA came had absolutely no bearing on the talent or aptitude of the person holding the degree. I've worked with idiots that came from Columbia and some of the smartest people I've ever worked with from schools like CS Northridge.

You're strawmanning my argument. I never said or even implied that the reputation of your MBA was commensurate with your professional ability.

But it's simply a fact that, if you go to a school like Columbia, recruiters from companies like Goldman Sachs, BCG, Microsoft, etc. are going to come to campus and want to talk to you. If you go to an online school, or some school that no one has ever heard of, you are not going to get those same opportunities.

And of course, I'm only talking about your first post-MBA job. After years and years of experience, no one cares. But if you go to Michigan State for your MBA and get your first job working at an auto supplier, your career trajectory is going to be different from someone that went to Cornell and joined an investment bank.

Kwhit10

Has anyone else done the MBA route while working and how has that worked out (employer pays tuition)?

I already have my PhD chemistry and can't really stop working to get an MBA while taking on debt while being the sole provider of my family.

SMattera

Has anyone else done the MBA route while working and how has that worked out (employer pays tuition)?

I already have my PhD chemistry and can't really stop working to get an MBA while taking on debt while being the sole provider of my family.

When I was visiting schools, I met people who had spouses and 4 kids and were doing full-time programs. Maybe part-time is the best option for you, but don't think it's your only option.

There are cheap schools that are worth the money, and cheap schools that aren't. There are expensive schools that are worth the money, and expensive schools that aren't. MBA programs vary quite a bit, and you should start by defining your aspirations before you look into the cost of attendance.

So we're making the same point, that the high costs of some of the most expensive programs shouldn't deter someone from finding lower cost alternatives that can also provide an excellent education.

But it's simply a fact that, if you go to a school like Columbia, recruiters from companies like Goldman Sachs, BCG, Microsoft, etc. are going to come to campus and want to talk to you. If you go to an online school, or some school that no one has ever heard of, you are not going to get those same opportunities.

And of course, I'm only talking about your first post-MBA job. After years and years of experience, no one cares. But if you go to Michigan State for your MBA and get your first job working at an auto supplier, your career trajectory is going to be different from someone that went to Cornell and joined an investment bank.

Statements I agree with, but a counter argument to a point I was never making. The only thing I said is that lower cost alternatives exist outside of the top tier of very expensive schools.

My friend finally got it out of me what my shifty great score.

His immediate response was "did you not study?"

Which stung, a lot.because I did.

SMattera

Statements I agree with, but a counter argument to a point I was never making. The only thing I said is that lower cost alternatives exist outside of the top tier of very expensive schools.

Actually, what you wrote was:

Unless you go to Booth, Wharton, Stanford or Harvard it doesn't really matter where the MBA comes from in the real world.

Which as I said, is demonstrably untrue. I don't want to keep going in circles repeating myself. Again, just read the employment reports. Different schools send different people to different industries at different rates, where they earn different salaries and work in different geographic locations. The MBA is a very general degree, but paradoxically, different schools have very different track records in terms of where their graduates end up.

Do you want to do banking in New York City? Don't get your MBA from USC. Do you want to work in Silicon Valley? Don't get your MBA from Ohio State. Want to work for Warner Bros? Do go to USC. Want to work for Procter & Gamble? Do go to OSU. etc.

If you're considering an MBA, you should ask questions like:
1. What part of the country do I want to live in post-graduation?
2. What industry do I want to work in?
3. What sort of companies would I want to work for?
4. What sort of job would I want to have?
5. What sort of programs are likely to accept me?

Once you answer those questions, then you can start comparing costs. It's like if someone said, "I need a laptop. Do I really need to spend $2,000?" For most people, the answer would be no. But the more important question is -- What are you trying to do with that laptop? Are you trying to run Doom 2016 on maxed out settings? Then yes, you probably do need a $2,000 laptop. Are you just trying to watch Netflix? Then you can get by with a $300 Chromebook. The more relevant question is not really the dollar cost but what you want the degree for.

Just got an email that a decision had been made on my application.

I shouldn't have checked it at work. Rejected. I feel sick. Legitimately sick.

hxa155

I graduated with a low GPA of 2.67 with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. So what are my chances of getting accepted into a decent M.S. program, assuming I apply after getting 3-4 years of experience and I get great GRE scores?

Is there anything else I can do in order to improve my chances?

Thanks.

It's probably going to be tough but I think some things that might help is having an article published in a prominent journal and being able to clearly articulate why your GPA may have been below 3.0. Experience should definitely help though.

Synless

Finishing up my MBA (HR Management) next week. Going to have a 3.5 GPA when it's all said and done (not that anyone cares). Feeling good, but not so good as I am unsure how much it's going to help me with my career.

hxa155

It's probably going to be tough but I think some things that might help is having an article published in a prominent journal and being able to clearly articulate why your GPA may have been below 3.0. Experience should definitely help though.

I see. What if I took a couple of grad-level courses online and ace those? You think those might help? >.<

Thanks again.

I see. What if I took a couple of grad-level courses online and ace those? You think those might help? >.<

Thanks again.

It can't hurt. Was your lower GPA waited towards the early part of your undergrad? If you did poorly during just a year or just early on that might help. I would also suggest getting very familiar with the work of specific professors you might want to work with and find a way to discuss it in your applications.

hxa155

It can't hurt. Was your lower GPA waited towards the early part of your undergrad? If you did poorly during just a year or just early on that might help. I would also suggest getting very familiar with the work of specific professors you might want to work with and find a way to discuss it in your applications.

I did ok during the first two years, but then some thing happened and my GPA took a dive after that. I almost got kicked out of the school because I did very poorly. It went like this:

But it has always been my dream to do research and become a professor. But with grades like that, I guess it's an uphill battle for me lol.

I did ok during the first two years, but then some thing happened and my GPA took a dive after that. I almost got kicked out of the school because I did very poorly. It went like this:

But it has always been my dream to do research and become a professor. But with grades like that, I guess it's an uphill battle for me lol.

The good thing is that there's a noticeable trend there. It looks like you did well, something happened and then you got your life in order towards the end. If you can link it to a major life-event and provide them with the incentive to take you in you might be able to work with it. If this is something you're committed to, getting some graduate credits, getting published, and being knowledgeable of the research topic of potential advisors are all things that can help you. Having real life experience might also be helpful but it depends on the professor and how (im)practical his/her research is.

tokkun

I graduated with a low GPA of 2.67 with a B.S. in Chemical Engineering. So what are my chances of getting accepted into a decent M.S. program, assuming I apply after getting 3-4 years of experience and I get great GRE scores?

Is there anything else I can do in order to improve my chances?

Thanks.

Apply to lower-tier MS programs as well. If that is all you can get into, do your MS there, then try to transfer to a better program for you PhD. If your dream is to be a professor, you'll need a PhD.

It's a risky and arduous path, though, so I would definitely take a couple years to work in industry to think about whether you really want to be a professor at a research institution. I think that's a common goal for people to set their sights on because professors are such an omnipresent authority figure and role model for people who have spent most of their life in school. You may develop a different perspective with more experience outside of that environment.

Hypron

What kind of cool places have you guys visited when going to conferences?

I just got back from my first overseas conference two days ago. It was located in Arlington, VA (in a hotel right next to the Potomac river, going to Washington DC was super easy). It was pretty fun and interesting (I got to meet some people working on similar topics to mine, and even got a couple of contacts).

That also gave me an excuse/opportunity to visit DC (which was a great city to visit, a pretty massive change compared to Auckland. Everything was expensive as fuck though). It was also my first time in the US (or on the American continent for that matter), so it was pretty interesting seeing the differences compared to the places where I lived before.

People didn't clap when my plane landed, though, which I found fairly disappointing. You lied to me, GAF D:

On another note, I'm sitting my provisional year review tomorrow morning (gotta finish those presentation slides). Wish me luck haha

I just got back from my first overseas conference two days ago. It was located in Arlington, VA (in a hotel right next to the Potomac river, going to Washington DC was super easy). It was pretty fun and interesting (I got to meet some people working on similar topics to mine, and even got a couple of contacts).

That also gave me an excuse/opportunity to visit DC (which was a great city to visit, a pretty massive change compared to Auckland. Everything was expensive as fuck though). It was also my first time in the US (or on the American continent for that matter), so it was pretty interesting seeing the differences compared to the places where I lived before.

People didn't clap when my plane landed, though, which I found fairly disappointing. You lied to me, GAF D:

On another note, I'm sitting my provisional year review tomorrow morning (gotta finish those presentation slides). Wish me luck haha

DC, montreal, and miami just for me. If my next abstract is accepted then paris in october

Sabre

During my four years of PhD studies I've been to:

Rome
Istanbul
Brussels
Atlanta
Dublin
Brisbane
Paris
Athens
Barcelona
Hamburg

And I'll have one more in Anaheim before I graduate in Sept. Traveling is definitely one of the best aspects of this career, especially when there's usually a chance for a day or two of leisure during the trips.

During my Ph.D. I've only gone to Vancouver, Washington D.C., and Philadelphia. All really cool places, but not nearly as impressive as some of your lists.

My advisor was cheap as fuck so the only time the whole lab got to go to conference was when it was within driving distance. Otherwise, he only sent post-docs, himself and maybe one or two students. The most interesting place I got to go to was Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom