• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked everything, but I will get comments back after my defence next month and then have a week to implement corrections.

Man, the formatting requirements by my department and then my college were a headache. They had some crazy rule they implemented just this year about using footnotes - had to re-organize a ton of my dissertation. I hope your experience is better than mine!

cappie88

got my MA in media studies a couple of months ago and in november I'll start the doctorate focusing on game studies and digital storytelling

Man, the formatting requirements by my department and then my college were a headache. They had some crazy rule they implemented just this year about using footnotes - had to re-organize a ton of my dissertation. I hope your experience is better than mine!

I assume you're writing it in latex? I would've died if I had to do it any other way.

I visited my faculty's wind tunnel lab two days ago and might get to play in it with drones for my research. It's quite exciting haha

Congrats :D

Thanks!

Reeks

I'm currently in graduate school for engineering but my heart is simply not in it. I entered because I'm good at it and graduate school felt like the right thing but just not enjoying it much at all.

But yeah, have a bachelors and working on a Ph.D, masters as a fallback I guess.

In most programs, if you pass your oral qualifying exams, you technically have a masters if you don't end up finishing your PhD. Every day I'm temped to jump ship and just take the masters.

I assume you're writing it in latex? I would've died if I had to do it any other way.

Microsoft Word - I didn't even have footnotes in there originally, but the requirements changed to require footnotes at the beginning of each chapter. As it turns out, Microsoft Word is a piece of shit when you try to include unique footnotes randomly throughout a document.

Microsoft Word - I didn't even have footnotes in there originally, but the requirements changed to require footnotes at the beginning of each chapter. As it turns out, Microsoft Word is a piece of shit when you try to include unique footnotes randomly throughout a document.

Ahh, that is brutal. I can't stand Word for anything but the simplest of documents. I hope you don't have too much trouble.

So I have to write my first lit review and I am again questioning why the hell I am pursuing my masters. Ugh.

Just finishing mine up and preparing to defend. What is your discipline and topic? Been working on mine for quite a while through various iterations so I might be able to give you some helpful tips.

Submitted my PhD thesis! Finally I can catch up on sleep. :p

Congrats!!!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I've been working at my post-MSc job for 5 months now, started out at the bottom of the salary range for my university job-bracket. Which was admittedly not too great, but I liked the job and hey, gotta start somewhere post-graduation.

Last week my prof got a 7-year/3Mio-$ grant Canada Foundation Grant so I got a raise to the top of the salary range for my bracket with no risk of us running out of money anytime soon.

SCORE.

Reeks

Master's for free is not bad.

Nothing is for free.. it's more of a consolation prize. I've worked myself to the brink of a breakdown. I've aged so much over the last 4 years. I haven't done anything this week because my body and brain are fried. If I wasn't so damn close, I'd definitely quit.

Levyne

Banned
In most programs, if you pass your oral qualifying exams, you technically have a masters if you don't end up finishing your PhD. Every day I'm temped to jump ship and just take the masters.

Lol, I wasn't expecting an old post of mine to be quoted.

I ended up with a Ph.D, I have the degree, though the strength of my resume is not so great since I did not manage to get any publications. I found a decent paying job though and I am out of school with no debt, so it could have been worse.

So I've been working at my post-MSc job for 5 months now, started out at the bottom of the salary range for my university job-bracket. Which was admittedly not too great, but I liked the job and hey, gotta start somewhere post-graduation.

Last week my prof got a 7-year/3Mio-$ grant Canada Foundation Grant so I got a raise to the top of the salary range for my bracket with no risk of us running out of money anytime soon.

SCORE.

Nice. Are you at UBC/SFU? I did my undergrad at UVic and we're currently in Ontario, hoping to move back west soon.

Well, I started applying about a month ago to post-doc positions. Applied to about 7 labs. Two had no funding, two didn't reply, and three offered me interviews. Of those three, as of today, all three have offered me a post-doc position.

Anyone have any advice for negotiating final details (salary etc.)? I received a "formal offer" in the form of an email, but we'll discuss all the details and go over paper work in a day or two. I think I'm prepared for it all, but just looking for any extra advice. It'll be at a ~top 15 med school in the US, so my expectation is that they should pay me roughly the NIH minimum for a 0-year post-doc... or, should pay me the new $47,000+ number to align with the new Department of Labor standards. Besides salary and some things regarding travel (vacation and conference-wise), I don't think I have much I need/want to negotiate based on what I've been told so far.

Well, I started applying about a month ago to post-doc positions. Applied to about 7 labs. Two had no funding, two didn't reply, and three offered me interviews. Of those three, as of today, all three have offered me a post-doc position.

Anyone have any advice for negotiating final details (salary etc.)? I received a "formal offer" in the form of an email, but we'll discuss all the details and go over paper work in a day or two. I think I'm prepared for it all, but just looking for any extra advice. It'll be at a ~top 15 med school in the US, so my expectation is that they should pay me roughly the NIH minimum for a 0-year post-doc... or, should pay me the new $47,000+ number to align with the new Department of Labor standards. Besides salary and some things regarding travel (vacation and conference-wise), I don't think I have much I need/want to negotiate based on what I've been told so far.

Congrats!

Duress

Im thinking of getting a masters in library digital archiving. Im not sure if itll get me a job, but it sounds like something id like to do. Any one have any knowledge about this?

Tedesco!

Just finishing mine up and preparing to defend. What is your discipline and topic? Been working on mine for quite a while through various iterations so I might be able to give you some helpful tips.

I am writing about why the state of Kansas needs a unifying policy regarding social media use by law enforcement employees. It's a real page turner. I received my peer reviews regarding my first draft of my lit review, and now I am in the process of re-writing the whole thing.

wbsmcs

Does anyone here have experience/knowledge about Masters of Engineering programs? I'm currently studying mechanical engineering with a minor in biomedical engineering and have one year to go. After that I was thinking of doing an MEng in biomedical engineering because my advisors have said it would help give me a leg up and prepare me for industry work which is ultimately my goal. I'm not too inclined towards doing a MASc as I don't have too much interest in research/academia, and basically wondering if I would be hindering myself by choosing an MEng over MASc.

I graduated my MBA program. I have a Master's now. I need to get an internship somewhere to fulfill the final requirement, but other than that... huh.

I have a lot of time on my hands, no classwork. I feel kind of hollow, cause now I have nothing to do. And I miss seeing my classmates everyday lol.

Time to enter the real world again!

I'm an incoming graduate student. Tomorrow, I'm gonna be sitting in a meeting with a professor about a research assistantship (one I really want). They reached out to me first, saying I would be well-suited for this research. I'm really nervous as to what to expect. Should I prepare as I would do for a job interview?

Good luck, Fireblend!

I'm an incoming graduate student. Tomorrow, I'm gonna be sitting in a meeting with a professor about a research assistantship (one I really want). They reached out to me first, saying I would be well-suited for this research. I'm really nervous as to what to expect. Should I prepare as I would do for a job interview?

If you want to join their lab, read up on their research a bit. I doubt they'll ask you technical details, but they might ask "what do you know about my lab?" or "why do you want to join my lab?"

Don't panic, but spend a little bit of time considering why the lab is interesting to you.

Jeels

So I have always been consistent in terms of having a one page resume when applying to jobs, and it's gone well (although I struggle to be concise sometimes).

However, I have heard inconsistent things when it comes to applying for graduate school. Several of the online resources I have looked at say two pages is okay for grad school, since you are likely padding it out with leadership, activities, etc (and research/publications for those who are more academically minded). I personally have a small section for education, internships, work experience, skills (programming skills, etc), and leadership/community service.

So my question is, is two pages okay as I start my grad school applications, or do I need to do some heavy condensing now to get it back down to one page.

Also, any opinions on an objective? I never put an objective for jobs, but once again, some online resources say to do so. It seems so redundant to write "applying to get into x program at y school" when thats implied by me applying. lol

Smiley90

So I have always been consistent in terms of having a one page resume when applying to jobs, and it's gone well (although I struggle to be concise sometimes).

However, I have heard inconsistent things when it comes to applying for graduate school. Several of the online resources I have looked at say two pages is okay for grad school, since you are likely padding it out with leadership, activities, etc (and research/publications for those who are more academically minded). I personally have a small section for education, internships, work experience, skills (programming skills, etc), and leadership/community service.

So my question is, is two pages okay as I start my grad school applications, or do I need to do some heavy condensing now to get it back down to one page.

Also, any opinions on an objective? I never put an objective for jobs, but once again, some online resources say to do so. It seems so redundant to write "applying to get into x program at y school" when thats implied by me applying. lol

I'd argue 1 page is WAY too short for a grad school application, but that might just be me. I struggle to keep my resume at 2 pages but that's the limit I've set myself for now.

So yeah, 2 pages is perfectly fine.

And I don't use "Objective" in mine

Yeah, academic CVs can be many pages, so a two-page resume should not be a problem. I mean, maybe if you're in a very industry-focused program, but even then I doubt it.

Objective seems superfluous since you're probably writing essays/statements in the applications anyway.

Mii

Banned
Update!

- Wrapped up my final semester of business school and threw in a trip literally around the world at the same time
- Passed the final level of the CFA exam
- Started at a bulge bracket investment bank and finished my broker-dealer license exams

I have no more exams to take. I'm officially done. I'm going to miss the care-free b-school lifestyle. Back to the real world.

gazele

Banned
Soo...has anyone thought about (or done) a data science bootcamp?

I'm seriously considering it as I'm really unsure about doing a post-doc

It definitely seems like a "fad" but also seems to be a job that's most similar to what a PHD does in terms of dealing with large datasets and coming up with hypotheses and such and then being able to present those results

It would also be nice to actually make some money after getting a PHD

Mexen

I got my IT degree this year. Hopefully, I plan on getting my MSC soon but I was thinking of getting certs instead, y'know (CISCO, MCSE)? Any recommendations or advice?

It definitely seems like a "fad" but also seems to be a job that's most similar to what a PHD does in terms of dealing with large datasets and coming up with hypotheses and such and then being able to present those results

I probably will within the next year or two. I got my PhD recently and my job relates to big data and is fantastic. There's a ton of stability in my company too which is great.

When are you planning to graduate? Do you have a lot of programming experience?

gazele

Banned
I probably will within the next year or two. I got my PhD recently and my job relates to big data and is fantastic. There's a ton of stability in my company too which is great.

When are you planning to graduate? Do you have a lot of programming experience?

I'm writing my dissertation now and hoping to graduate by December and attend a January bootcamp

I'd say my programming experience is...okay, I know Python pretty well and in the next 6 months I'm going to try and learn as much as I can, especially machine learning

Smiley90

I'm writing my dissertation now and hoping to graduate by December and attend a January bootcamp

I'd say my programming experience is...okay, I know Python pretty well and in the next 6 months I'm going to try and learn as much as I can, especially machine learning

If you're looking for a postdoc I can probably hit you up with a connection. We're always looking for neuroscience postdocs, esp with programming experience - we do a lot of modeling.

Neoweee

If you have a PhD in a technical field, there is absolutely no reason to do a Data Science Bootcamp, unless it is the ultra-exclusive gravy train ones that dump into a large tech company. You can easily do your own studying to get to a hire-able level.

Data Science isn't a fad. It is a good, well-paying, highly-secure career with tons of job location flexibility.

There are not a ton of jobs you can get with a PHD in neuroscience, especially over 50k

What type of neuroscience? What market? 50k is pathetically low for a PhD data scientist.

If you have a PhD in a technical field, there is absolutely no reason to do a Data Science Bootcamp, unless it is the ultra-exclusive gravy train ones that dump into a large tech company. You can easily do your own studying to get to a hire-able level.

I'd like to add that if you get hired your company will most likely pay for anything like this if it's relevant. As a PhD, you can probably learn most of what's offered in this sort of thing on your own and get this sort of thing done after being hired.

gazele

Banned
If you're looking for a postdoc I can probably hit you up with a connection. We're always looking for neuroscience postdocs, esp with programming experience - we do a lot of modeling.

Thanks for the offer, I'm definitely leaning more towards getting out of academia though

Data Science isn't a fad. It is a good, well-paying, highly-secure career with tons of job location flexibility.

What type of neuroscience? What market? 50k is pathetically low for a PhD data scientist.

Obviously I'd like to do a "gravy train" one like insight or the data incubator which are more exclusive, have ties to big companies, are free etc.

I guess part of me wants to do a bootcamp just to make sure I know all that I need to since it hasn't been a part of my PHD necessarily, I've done lots of MOOC like coursera and Udemy and other online things like learning SQL and python

When I say "fad" I mean that it is currently the Number 1 job on glass door, tons of articles as well as the possibility of software in the future being able to do some of the things data scientists do right now, of course I believe it will be a good job long term also

I do a lot of human neuroimaging, which probably isn't the best area of neuroscience for trying to get a job outside of academia, computational I think would be best

I'd like to add that if you get hired your company will most likely pay for anything like this if it's relevant. As a PhD, you can probably learn most of what's offered in this sort of thing on your own and get this sort of thing done after being hired.

That's a really good point, and I'll definitely look into that

Beach

Need some advice if possible...

I just got an acceptance to UCI's MBA program. While super excited I don't know if I should go with it or not.

Some background info, I graduated last June with a Civil Engineering Degree and have been working at a firm in Irvine for the past year+ that I enjoy. While an MBA won't necessarily help me in my short term goals at this company it ties in to what I want to go in the future.

I took a blind shot at applying to UCI but somehow I got in and now I'm stuck. I would love to go but its the money that's killer. $98k commitment for a 23 year old is pretty big especially when it doesn't really apply directly to my field.

Anyone was or in a similar situation?

Smiley90

Thanks for the offer, I'm definitely leaning more towards getting out of academia though

Obviously I'd like to do a "gravy train" one like insight or the data incubator which are more exclusive, have ties to big companies, are free etc.

I guess part of me wants to do a bootcamp just to make sure I know all that I need to since it hasn't been a part of my PHD necessarily, I've done lots of MOOC like coursera and Udemy and other online things like learning SQL and python

When I say "fad" I mean that it is currently the Number 1 job on glass door, tons of articles as well as the possibility of software in the future being able to do some of the things data scientists do right now, of course I believe it will be a good job long term also

I do a lot of human neuroimaging, which probably isn't the best area of neuroscience for trying to get a job outside of academia, computational I think would be best

That's a really good point, and I'll definitely look into that

are you going to SFN?

I went from CS undergrad right to MBA. Overall helped me get technical BA role in fintech which has gone swimmingly for me for the last 6 years.

Slo

Start an online Masters in CompSci in a few short days after being out of school for the past 14 years. Excited but nervous as hell.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Start an online Masters in CompSci in a few short days after being out of school for the past 14 years. Excited but nervous as hell.

I would love to hear about your online learning experience. Does it requires proctored tests?

Slo

I would love to hear about your online learning experience. Does it requires proctored tests?

Yes it does, which I find sort of annoying because I have to pay a proctoring service the day of the test. I mean, I get it, but its a double psychological nut shot to have to enter a credit card number to take an exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom