• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there/should there be any shame in playing games on the easiest difficulty?

I was thinking about this today... back in the day a lot of the time, instead of even playing on normal/regular, I decided to just play the game on easy basically I guess because I wasn't looking for a challenge; I just wanted to play the game, and see the story unfold. Later on with certain games I decided to play on harder difficulties but nowadays it's mostly to unlock trophies. But as for playing games mostly on easy difficulty, should there be any shame in doing so? It is up to everyone to play the game how they feel of course, but...still. Wanna hear your thoughts.

Macstorm

No. I play games on whatever difficulty level makes the game to most fun. If I'm dying over and there's no mitigation for those deaths other than a game over screen, you better bet I'm dropping it down.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-5.jpg

Beyond that, no.

senahorse

Of course not, it's your time, your money, and enjoyment is subjective, do whatever pleases you and don't worry about what other people may or may not think.

vareon

Why should there be? People play games for different reasons, and if there's an easy difficulty option they may enjoy more, play it.

Eh, some genres just aren't your forte. That's the way I see it.

I spent hours trying to make my way through Catherine's medium difficulty only to keep failing. If you're just in a game for the storyline or pleasant experience, sometimes an easy difficulty makes all the difference.

Why does shame even come into the equation? Games are played for fun. If you are having fun it doesn't matter what difficulty you're playing on. Play on easy if you find the game too hard; play on hard if you find the game too easy. I mostly play games on normal, but I don't understand the obsession with skill that gamers have. It's just goddamn video games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If you're not playing for a challenge, you shouldn't care if the game jabs fun at you a little. Just roll with it.

kagamin

Hell no, I wouldn't play shoot em ups if I couldn't play on the lowest difficulty, accessibility is important (even though I pretty much only play RPGs on their hardest difficulties).

Pinky

Banned
Nope. You're playing for yourself and your own enjoyment. If playing on easy allows you to enjoy a game, then that's what you do. If others don't like it, then tough shit for them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No. There is no wrong way to play a game, just play however you like.

I actually disagree with this. There are wrong ways to play games, but it shouldn't matter as long as you're having fun. The second you try to criticize a game without knowing how to properly play it, however, you've lost credibility.

Basically, don't review a game you can only play on Easy.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-5.jpg

Beyond that, no.

lol...I was expecting to see this. I have a cousin that wont play it on easy just because of the pic.

I play all my games on Normal first then move on to the higher difficulties. I never play on Easy unless Normal is just hard for the sake of being hard. G.I Joe...I had to play on Easy... Normal became too frustrating.

Zareka

Yeah you scrubs, get on my level or go home.

No, play what you want. The only thing that matters is that you're having fun.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
No shame, but they should be called out if they post a review of the game afterward and call the game too easy.

If you played The Last of Us on anything other than hard with listen mode off you should be ashamed and don't deserve to play the game.

No, of course not. You should be able to play a game on whatever difficulty you personally find enjoyable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! ^_^

Ashtar

Yes, I started mgs 3 on easy Bc I just wanted to experience the story but I felt so lame I had to restart.

Dropping the difficulty to easy basically means you've thrown in the towel, I'm not the greatest gamer but I'll be gosh darned if I willingly admit to being a scrub

Wensih

Nope.

And as someone who views games as art, I think it's unfortunate that games are one of the only artistic mediums that put up a physical barrier to experiencing everything offered while at the same time appreciating that difficulty and high level play is part of the interactive art experience.

Of course not. Video games are entertainment, intended to be enjoyed. There is no shame in enjoying a game differently than somebody else.

I play on normal or medium or whatever the default difficulty is and then go down to easy later but, you shouldn't feel any shame for playing on Easy first.

L33T

Banned
You should only feel shame if you drop a game you can't beat on the easiest difficulty, besides that, you shouldn't.

finley83

Banned
Until I was about 16 or so I played every game I could with cheats. I never really wanted to be challenged and had loads of fun blasting through Doom, Duke3d etc without having to worry about being terrible at the game.

Also, cheating in Civilization 2 was the best. Ruling the world with nukes and jets in the stone age was awesome.

So, in short, no - no shame at all.

I don't think there should be any real shame attached to it, but have noticed a few reviews going "this game is just way too easy!!" and ignoring like 5 difficulty levels above the piss-easy "normal" they picked. Yeah, I get they pick vanilla settings and base off that, but there's some games that have much easier normal difficulties to ease players into the much more difficult ones.

That's really the only instance where I think people playing games on easier difficulties is problematic.

Mat-triX

Should there be any honor/respect for playing games on Hard (or the Hardest difficulty)?

It really comes down to level of enjoyment. For many Action/Shooter games, I play on Hard. For Horror or Role Playing games I play on Normal. For a genre that I have little experience in (RTS) i'd play on Easy.

There shouldn't be pride/shame attached to the individual's convenience, much like seeing a movie in IMAX or at home on a small screen; It's the same product.

Platy

Nope.

Some of my most fun times was using beginner on rock band/guitar hero and singing alternate lyrics and/or weird al versions of the songs

Gsnap

The thing is, developers put multiple difficulty modes in for a reason. They want you to get through the game regardless of your skill level.

That said, I appreciate it when a game has no difficulty levels at all, and it just is what it is. Easy or difficult.

Nah. Play games however you want. Options are rarely a bad thing.
With that being said...I do silently judge when I hear about people playing games one easy, just being honest. Unless you're a parent with hardly any time for gaming, and you just want to relax and get through the story...

Phu

Banned
Eh, some genres just aren't your forte. That's the way I see it.

I spent hours trying to make my way through Catherine's medium difficulty only to keep failing. If you're just in a game for the storyline or pleasant experience, sometimes an easy difficulty makes all the difference.

I made this switch in Catherine just the other day and I'm enjoying it much more with less pressure on the climbing segments.

There should be no shame in playing games on the easiest difficulty. Having someone enjoy a game on its easiest difficulty sounds like better option than them getting frustrated and stressed out over a harder difficulty.

That said, I do have to shake my head at people who cruise through the easiest difficulty of a game and then complain about being bored in their review.

Top Bottom