• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this game collection worth $35,000? (eBay)

Certainly not worth it. As someone else mentioned: 3,500 on a good day. The fact that he turned down a 25,000 dollar offer blows my mind.

Edit: I'm a pretty big enthusiast of collecting games, especially rare ones to actually play in their original form. I love displaying my games and finding "big box versions" of some of the more recent ones (Like the limited edition prinny PSP boxes, Atelier Rorona boxes, etc.). They take up a fair amount of space, but I like having them and I love the little extras therein.

It's just ancillary to the rest of the hobby to me. Went with the girlfriend just this weekend to do some scouring of gamestops for PSP games that may still be hanging around because with the Vita out now, some of the prices are coming down. Going to grab things before they become hard finds.

This goes far beyond games; I would say 95% of everything everyone owns period is junk that they could do without with only minor adaptations and loss of quality of life.
Most definitely. There was a period in time recently where I moved into a new apartment and lived without most of my unmoved stuff for a few months and it was incredibly refreshing and eye-opening.

SmokyDave

This goes far beyond games; I would say 95% of everything everyone owns period is junk that they could do without with only minor adaptations and loss of quality of life.

You're not kidding. Since then I've been a lot more ruthless with ornaments, old books, CD collection etc..

It's just that the games were concentrated in one room that was dedicated to storing and displaying games. That was an egregious example of pointless hoarding so it was the first to go.

It's been about 5 years now and I only regret selling my Sega Multi-Mega and my Super Wildcard DX2.

NateDrake

Depends on what rare games he has. His list of notables is pretty crappy though. Sealed metroid prime series? I can probably still buy that somewhere.

I was actually going through old games myself this week to organise them a bit. Lots of nostalgia, especially the gold NES Zelda cartridge. Sadly I threw away the box :/

About the 25k comment, that's most likely the guy himself.

Sells for $150 on Amazon. It was discontinued very quickly after it released.

Coxy

lol not even close, I have almost every rare console RPG ever and still wouldnt think it was worth a fraction of that

SOME-MIST

dunno why, but I laughed out loud when I saw cross edge in his collection. I wouldn't pay $5 to own that game again.. it's actually the only game I've ever returned/sold back this generation.

and no panzer dragoon saga? that's probably the most important game in the saturn library and a pretty big fail in my eyes..not that I have the money to even consider buying the collection.

anyways, my guess would be that it's worth 5 grand.

Scotch

That's only true because of the internet, though. You used to need stuff to entertain yourself.

dunno why, but I laughed out loud when I saw cross edge in his collection. I wouldn't pay $5 to own that game again.. it's actually the only game I've ever returned/sold back this generation.

and no panzer dragoon saga? that's probably the most important game in the saturn library and a pretty big fail in my eyes..not that I have the money to even consider buying the collection.

anyways, my guess would be that it's worth 5 grand.

Unless I missed it somewhere among the pictures, I do not see a copy of the first Lunar either. I see he has the PSX Eternal Blue edition but I don't see the first one on Sega CD or PSX.

bjork

You're not wrong at all, it's just a matter of people learning how to let go of things. A lot of people can't or won't.

Shion

I don't understand selling giant game collections all at once. It seems like most people who would be interested in such a thing probably already has a large amount of the games in that collection.

That's an excellent point.

Arcteryx

I think he was silly not to accept the 25k offer.

His collection isn't all that large, nor does he have that many "rare" titles. Silly silly

I...I almost wonder if he's doing it to show off his games collection...

The amount of photos....the absurd price....almost reminds me of what some people have done in MMORPG's in the past when they want to show off they had something really cool. They'd put it up on the auction house for a price no one would ever possibly pay.

Raoh

There was an article a few years back of a record collector that had millions of vinyl, had a cooled storage room paying a high electricity bill and all. Worth millions.

Couldn't sell it for even a few hundred thousand thanks to most of the collection being on mp3 on the net.

outside of a few prints that were discontinued and dj's/producers wanted, the collection was just not moving.

Collecting now a days is a fools errand unless its just for personal appreciation.

SOME-MIST

Unless I missed it somewhere among the pictures, I do not see a copy of the first Lunar either. I see he has the PSX Eternal Blue edition but I don't see the first one on Sega CD or PSX.

It just seems that the collection lacks consistency. Not that it matters..but you would think for that asking price that it wouldn't be a bunch of random games with a few real nice finds. The only thing that impresses me about that collection is the boxed/complete SNES games. It makes me wish I would have taken good care of my games like that when I was younger.

RotBot

The seller probably made the 25k offer himself with a dummy account to make it look like someone else thinks it's worth that much.

Ricker

Of course not especially since I don't see stuff like Panzer Dragoon Saga and all the Shining Force III on Saturn for example...

EDIT: beaten on some of the games missing lol

that guy has stolen games

if you go to the CAG thread on this someone says he stole a couple games from him in a trade.

lol i even got matched up with the guy in a trade, hes been banned from CAG though, same username as his ebay name

he's an idiot for not taking the 25 k

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'll put it like this:

If that "collection" goes for over $25,000 USD, I'm putting all of my games up the very next day.

Neo Geo AES, 16 bit stuff, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, N64, and Gamecube.

It. All. Goes. That is a significant chunk of a house or car payment, or could go towards my kid's education.

Cheska

This guy actually used to post on CAG a lot before he got banned because he always acted like a pompous jerk. In fact, it doesn't surprise me one bit that he has such a high asking price on this collection.

Edit: beaten :p

I don't see a single prototype in that list and "sealed Infinite Space" as a highlight doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that there's anything truly rare in there that could be worth a couple thousand. and he would still need several of these to bump the price up to $35k-- like several copies of Bubble Bath Babes. All the stuff he listed are mass produced games that are just in high demand or had a relatively low print run. Sealed DS/PS3/360/Wii/PSP games can't be worth a whole lot...the most rare one in the bunch might be a couple hundred, tops (Monopoly/Boggle/Yahtzee/Battleship DS? Demon's Souls LE?) Gonna go with "no"

McCloud?

I don't know about the others, but the only CIB copy of Clay Fighters Sculptor's Cut I've ever seen was marked at $550. Still, $35k is...optimistic.

Seik

Banned
I have way more games than that and I wouldn't dare to price the whole thing 35K$!

At first you could guess that the high price is there to compensate for the research or whatever, but no, it's just fucking overpriced!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This guy actually used to post on CAG a lot before he got banned because he always acted like a pompous jerk. In fact, it doesn't surprise me one bit that he has such a high asking price on this collection.

Edit: beaten :p

He threw around huge sums of money trying to purchase every rare game that he could in CAG's buy/sell/trade forum back in the day, so I suppose he's desperate not to take a loss after overpaying for pretty much everything. That collection isn't worth anywhere near 35k.

Eteric Rice

Speaking of video game collections...

Does anyone know of a website or program where I can keep track of all of the games I own? I'm starting to get doubles and stuff because I keep forgetting what I own. lol

I'll put it like this:

If that "collection" goes for over $25,000 USD, I'm putting all of my games up the very next day.

Neo Geo AES, 16 bit stuff, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, N64, and Gamecube.

It. All. Goes. That is a significant chunk of a house or car payment, or could go towards my kid's education.

My feelings exactly. My collection has way more expensive / rare games, and if his collection actually goes for 35K, I will sell it all immediately. I love having a big nerdy gameroom, but I love having financial security for my family even more.

TheExodu5

Banned
As someone that sold a larger collection than that (although much less 'prestigious'), clutter. I just sat and looked around my games room one day and realised that 95% of the stuff in there was 'useless'. I mean, I owned it and I could look at it and stuff, but ultimately I was mostly playing the same current-gen games as everyone else. Having so much 'stuff' (even sexy stuff) just became a burden.

I think it might be the reason that I'm nearly 100% digital distribution nowadays. I never want to own that much 'clutter' again.

I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping all these old games that I'm just never replaying. My collection just takes up space.

It's a good thing the majority of my games are on Steam.

sakipon

If I had a large collection I would probably list it for a inordinately high amount of money, too. If you get it, then awesome, you've now got way more than it's worth. If you don't, you've still got your games. It's win/win.

This is pretty much what I'd do if I ever got in serious debt. I'd put up my most prized collections for sale for a notably high price and meanwhile try to gather money selling other things at throwaway prices. If the best items go, it'd hurt but then there'd be all the money for consolation.

You know when someone is grasping for straws when infinite space is on your notable list.

Was still $50 new on amazon the last time I checked.

NinjaBoiX

Why so many duplicates? Gears triple pack, ToV, Demons Souls, inFamous. Most are still in the wrapper too.

Strange.

Zwei

You know when someone is grasping for straws when infinite space is on your notable list.

Was still $50 new on amazon the last time I checked.

And Infinite Space is even cheaper when imported from the UK, if you can believe that. :|
(the DS is region-free)

Top Bottom