• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this game collection worth $35,000? (eBay)

5amshift

Banned
Man, what?

I need to sell my stuff.

I just don't like ebay anymore. Selling off hundreds of different games would be a pain. I'm also scared off by the stories of folks being burned by buyers who say they didn't get the merchandise that you sold them, and then your Paypal account is on lockdown, and you're out both the money and merch.

This is what happened to a few of my friends.
Depending on what you have, a lot of us at GAF may be interested.

Reallink

I'd say it's worth about $5-10k at the most.

He has a ton of Xbox 360, PSP, PS3, PS2, PS1, Gamecube, GBA/GBC games which individually are only worth $10-30 each.

Most of those Saturn and Sega CD games are only worth about the same.

The boxed SNES games are worth maybe $50-100 each (for the rare RPGs).

Snatcher for Sega CD I've seen for $100-200 on ebay.

Not sure about Earthbound but can't be more than that.

Suikoden 2 is $150 maybe?

It's a nice collection but he needs to pull his head out of his ass, contact the guy who offered $25k and beg him to accept.

A complete US Earthbound with the box, guide, inserts, and everything else in very good condition seemed to have a going rate of upwards of $500 last I checked. Still a drop in the bucket towards $35,000, but it really surprised me it was worth so much.

shandy706

I just sold my sealed copy of Mass Effect LCE for over $500..so I'm sure a huge amount of cash can be had for the right selection of games.

Duxxy3

A complete US Earthbound with the box, guide, inserts, and everything else in very good condition seemed to have a going rate of upwards of $500 last I checked. Still a drop in the bucket towards $35,000, but it really surprised me it was worth so much.

Holy shit. Probably shouldn't have sold mine back in the 90's then.

MisterHero

99% of that money would have been for a Gold Nintendo World Championships Cartridge

which he probably didn't have

Based solely on what's in the OP, his most valuable games seem to be in the $100-200 range, while some of the less valuable ones aren't really worth anything ($5-10). He doesn't seem to have 175 titles in the $200 range, or 350 in the $100 range. So I'd guess that $35k is a bit steep.

That being said, if it sells, it sells!

Edit: 686 games, so he'd have to average $51 a game to hit $35k.

And most of those current gen titles sell for less than 20 even new... I'd say if more of those SNES titles were sealed (especially Chrono Trigger) he'd be well on his way but still wouldn't reach 35k.

Someone asked about his reasons, I'd say 35k is around the price of a decent sports car, so it's obvious he tried bringing a lady over to see his video game collection, and she turned him down so now he is trying to impress her with a sports car. When men give up their toys there's always a woman involved. (but personally I find women who love those toys instead)

Man, what?

I need to sell my stuff.

I just don't like ebay anymore. Selling off hundreds of different games would be a pain. I'm also scared off by the stories of folks being burned by buyers who say they didn't get the merchandise that you sold them, and then your Paypal account is on lockdown, and you're out both the money and merch.

Yeah, I absolutely can not deal with eBay anymore. Between the ridiculous seller fees and all of the scammers, every experience I've had selling on that site has been a nightmare lately. I'd love to start selling off my collectibles, but I refuse to deal with them anymore. Are there any other good alternatives these days?

Mahonay

Banned
Fuck no. Unless it involves a bunch of arcade cabinets no video game collection is going to be worth $35,000.
99% of that money would have been for a Gold Nintendo World Championships Cartridge

which he probably didn't have
Exactly what I was thinking.

G0523

He should be lucky he got OFFERS for $25,000. While the collection is mighty impressive, it definitely isn't worth five figures. I'm sure he's taking the PlayStation glass case into account as well.

Mahonay

Banned
He should be lucky he got OFFERS for $25,000. While the collection is mighty impressive, it definitely isn't worth five figures. I'm sure he's taking the PlayStation glass case into account as well.
I'll be surprised if he gets another offer even over $10,000. What a fucking idiot.

test_account

XP-39C²
Guy is a greedy idiot. No way is that remotely worth 35K. If I wanted this stuff cluttering my house I would bid maybe max $1500. No way is it worth much more than $3000. Suggested value from a seller is such bullshit. Everybody knows this stuff isn't worth much apart from maybe a couple truly rare retro games. You're pretty much going to have to take a substantial loss when selling a collection in bulk. idiot probably overpaid for all of this. could probably hit up yard sales and local pawn shops and get most of these games for spare change.
It is definitely worth more than $3000. He has 686 complete (maybe some expeptions) games. For $3000, that would be less than $5 for each, and he has many $100+ games. I have no idea how much it is worth in total though, but it is worth more than $3000 at least :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nothing too rare, so no: Not really.

Besides, his PS3 collection can mostly be gotten easily used outside of the "NOT OPENED" factor.

Mahonay

Banned
It is definitely worth more than $3000. He has 686 complete (maybe some expeptions) games. For $3000, that would be less than $5 for each, and he has many $100+ games. I have no idea how much it is worth in total though, but it is worth more than $3000 at least :)
Sure it's probably actually worth well over $3,000 all together but there aren't many people who are going to see the value in that. Who's really going to spend even over $5,000 on a collection of old video games? Just doesn't seem like something a sane person would do. People who collect rare video games pick and choose what they want to add to their collection. Usually then you're only spending between $30 and $80 if you look hard enough. That's a lot easier to swallow than just throwing a few Gs down on a bunch of classic/rare video games. At least that's what I do.

The person who's going to seriously think about spending $10,000+ on a video game collection is a person who sees $10,000 as just pocket change. No normal person is going to buy this for the kind of money he's looking for.

Ricker

It is somewhere around $10.000, not much more.

Yep...10,000 is still pretty good,maybe 15 max...like someone said,he probably didn't get offered 25k,he says that to try and get 35,then maybe he will drop it to 25k to get it hehe...

Zwei

What a fucking idiot.

That seems to be the consensus so far
free-happy-smileys-839.gif

(._.)

Banned

You're probably right and if he was selling individually he could probably make more.

When selling collections like videos games though especially in ridiculous bulk other collectors are usually very stubborn in paying individual prices for each game. Realistically the only person that would will to buy all of this at once would be a collector. You would have to be absolutely crazy to pay 35K for that. Would be severally overpaying.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You're probably right and if he was selling individually he could probably make more.

When selling collections like videos games though especially in ridiculous bulk other collectors are usually very stubborn in paying individual prices for each game. Realistically the only person that would will to buy all of this at once would be a collector. You would have to be absolutely crazy to pay 35K for that. Would be severally overpaying.
Personally, I end up buying games in lots sometimes to get a specific game (or games) I'm looking for cheaper than the cost of that game. I've done alright like this a few times. Other times, it's had me ending up with tons of duplicates or other stuff I have zero interest in.

I dunno, I wish it were feasible to run across good, random finds these days. It doesn't happen enough.

D.Lo

I hope he gets nothing and regrets missing out on that 25k offer.

But ebay (re)teaches you that people are idiots. I put a guitar on there at $500 and $750 buy-it-now and the same clown who bid minimum bid 5 mins after I listed (which removes the BIN option in Ebay AU) ended up winning anyway and paying $950. If he'd done 10 minutes of research he'd see $750 was a good price and should just have bought it then.

Peagles

I hope he gets nothing and regrets missing out on that 25k offer.

But ebay (re)teaches you that people are idiots. I put a guitar on there at $500 and $750 buy-it-now and the same clown who bid minimum bid 5 mins after I listed (which removes the BIN option in Ebay AU) ended up winning anyway and paying $950. If he'd done 10 minutes of research he'd see $750 was a good price and should just have bought it then.

Haha yeh people do that on our NZ site all the time (TradeMe). It's annoying though cos I'll see some cheap arse ask for a Buy Now on something, and the seller will put one up (at a reasonable price) and I'll go to hit Buy Now but the same cheap arse has already put in a bid to get rid of the Buy Now. God knows why... And it always ends up selling for more than double the reasonable Buy Now that was put up. Some people eh?

test_account

XP-39C²

For sure, selling all this in a bulk will indeed limit the price.

Wow, he's not even close to $35K on that collection. It's just quantity over quality, and being such, I don't see how anyone in their right mind would bite on that price. Also, pfft, I probably have as many 360 games as that guy is selling in his multi-platform collection.

I wish Infinite Space was that cheap, I don't think I have ever saw it drop below 40 bucks and I missed my chance then.
In Europe it is...
its like 5-10 euro on amazon.de, so yeah... not sure if hes serious.
American version isn't European version. It may be the same game...

Its like a less extreme version of Sonic 1 Master System where European version is worthless and American version (only difference is like a sticker on the box as master System was region free) is like $400.

Don't try to logic in game collections.

This collection looks almost exactly like my collection would if I had never sold any game in my entire life. It just does not seem special to me at all.

Kafel

Banned
Hello gaming age forum,

I'm completely new to video games and I have 35k at the bank. Is this a good package to start ?

Top Bottom