• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is traveling to Japan dangerous due to radiation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9M__yYbsZ4&t=597s

Great Video educating people on both HOW radiation works but also how these reactors work

There is outdated information on the Role of Solar and Wind power and the future of Thorium LFTRs is an economic uncertainty but there is a treasure trove of education information in this documentary

Skip to 50 minutes in for a great explanation of what actually happened at Fukushima

Nezumi

Don't go, I'm planning my next trip (this would make the fourth since 2011) and I wouldn't want to meet people like you on my travels.

GCX

The radiation can come handy in some cases. The organizers of this year's Eurovision song contest in Ukraine for instance are saving a ton of money on stage lightning because everyone there glows in the dark.

Don't worry OP, the moment you land in Japan you'll be given the option of choosing 1 out out of 3 starter Pokémon(region depends on the day you visit) to help fend off all the other mutated creatures in Japan.

mike6467

Radiation isn't magic. It seems like people hear the term and think they're dealing with some voodoo specter who's going to read their thoughts and hide under their bed. It's science, it's empirically possible to establish the safety of everything you're asking about, and it's been done. If you don't trust that, then that's a whole different issue.

Of course you're responsible for your families safety. Odds are, unless you hide in your house all day and don't use electronic devices, you put yourself in exponentially greater danger a hundred times a day then you would be by visiting Japan. Hell, the plane trip over isn't 100% safe? Why would you take that chance?

So yeah, if this is the hill you choose to die on in that regard then go for it, but you're making that decision in the face of overwhelming evidence that you're wrong.

I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would dare question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

Like I doubt if I were asking if it was safe to visit whatever country Chernobyl is in, I'd be getting the same heated responses here.

Btw I just looked it up, and the Japan accident is on par with the Chernobyl incident. They're both the highest nuclear disaster rating possible:

Is this a troll post? The logic used could just as well be used argue that you should only drink Coke because water intoxication exists. You could link to everything you can find about water intoxication and insist you're right. That's a crazy argument to make in the first place, and the conclusion doesn't even logically follow, right? Yeah, that's what you're doing here.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I traveled to Japan once and radiations turned me into a high school girl that is fighting the evil dimensional beings when I'm not caught up in some high school love triangle ever since

not worth it, dude, trust me

hi there!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I don't understand why people are taking this so personally. Like they're personally offended that someone would dare question the safety of Japan. Is it just because it's Japan?

Like I doubt if I were asking if it was safe to visit whatever country Chernobyl is in, I'd be getting the same heated responses here.

Btw I just looked it up, and the Japan accident is on par with the Chernobyl incident. They're both the highest nuclear disaster rating possible:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...s_and_incidents#Nuclear_power_plant_accidents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Level_7:_Major_accident
This is disgusting. "Whatever country Chernobyl is in"? Couldn't even bother a 1 second Google search, but you sure can form an opinion on the effects of nuclear radiation in Japan post-Fukushima.
This has got to be a joke.

And yes, people live and visit the Ukraine every single day, people even visit the goddamn Nuclear Reactor and still manage to live to tell the tale.

If you spent even looking one second at the nuclear accidents you would see that while Chernobyl cost thousands of lives, no single person has died because of the Fukushima accident. How are these even comparable?

You also have so far refused to answer how you cope with the in-flight radiation you're exposed to on a plane flight?

People are angry at you because instead of learning, after you've asked your question, YOU DOUBLE DOWN AND BASK IN YOUR IGNORANCE. Nothing is more disgusting than seeing someone glorify their own obliviousness

Mendrox

Hey, relax a little, OP might have some kind of OCD anxiety disorder or something, even if something seems rational and safe to you, that might not be the case to him. There's no need to call him stupid.

Edit: Ok yeah, he is being really obnoxious with his answers.

Yes he is stupid. OCD about risk of death and he wants to fly? And he sprrads bullshit about a beautiful and perfectly fine country which is safer than his own. He has to be called out for this ignorant shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucle...s_and_incidents#Nuclear_power_plant_accidents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Nuclear_Event_Scale#Level_7:_Major_accident

You digust me. Whatever country Chernobyl...what is wrong with you? How can you post something like that?

Ratrat

Im Japanese, and yes this thread is disgusting and pathetic.

Theonik

It's not too bad. Just don't forget to pack your hazmat suit and can rations.

e: Tbh Ukraine's tourism board* should be using S.T.A.L.K.E.R. as part of its brand.
*Do they have one?

SalvaPot

Radioactive-Man-Goggles.gif

This guy is clearly trolling; he gave it away with the "whatever country Chernobyl is in" line. Stop giving him serious responses folks, and if we're lucky, he'll get thread posting privileges revoked.

The sun is an enormous Nuclear reactor spewing massive amounts a radiation at our planet continuously

dont go outside unless you want cancer

if only our bodies has some sort of mechanism to protect us from cellular damage

zer0das

Banned
Radiation isn't magic.

Of course you're responsible for your families safety. Odds are, unless you hide in your house all day and don't use electronic devices, you put yourself in exponentially greater danger a hundred times a day then you would be by visiting Japan. Hell, the plane trip over isn't 100% safe? Why would you take that chance?

Well you're treating it like magic, because you don't seem to understand the difference between ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation. Or you're just blatantly misusing the word exponentially.

Well you're treating it like magic, because you don't seem to understand the difference between ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation.

There is also an intensity rating for acute radiation

The same elements we fear cause cancer can also be harnessed in controlled forms to fight cancer lol

When you want to discuss what is and isnt dangerous you have to be very specific

Javier23

Banned
You would, dumbass. Anyone here including myself who's from Ukraine or Belarus or has been there would be able to tell you you wouldn't grow an extra pair of limbs after some time in Kiev or Minsk, their capital cities. Most unfortunately it also wouldn't help you grow a brain.

Go to Tokyo and have the time of your life. Live a bit. It's a very safe country. I can show you my last few x-rays. Was there years ago and I'm still growing older a year at a time. Luck will be a bigger factor in you getting cancer than a couple of weeks spent in Japan.

marrec

Banned
Yes you shouldn't come here.
The days are mess up. I watch Unprofessional Fridays in Saturday Morning

Wow is that because of the radiation poisoning?

That's crazy, Korey pls stay away for your own safety. You should probably avoid watching Anime as well who knows how much radiation exposure that's giving you.

2MF

Odds are, unless you hide in your house all day and don't use electronic devices, you put yourself in exponentially greater danger a hundred times a day then you would be by visiting Japan.

What do electronic devices have to do with it? In the same post you debunked FUD against Japan and encouraged FUD about electronic devices.

Electronic devices do not generally emit ionizing radiation (which is what "radiation" refers to in this context).

Note that strictly speaking, all visible light is radiation too. But it's not ionizing radiation like UV light (which is the one that causes cancer).

Javier23

Banned
My partner is a Chernobyl kid. Wait til I dickslap you, see if your face melts off, you dumbass.

She's perfectly fine, and so will you be. Get your stupid ass to Tokyo.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Good thing you looked it up. Otherwise you might've sounded like an idiot.

Fou-Lu

I am a Physicist that specializes in radiation. I could tell the OP that he is misinformed and that he is in no danger from radiation in traveling to Japan, but he will either ignore my post or complain about how I won't accept his opinion.

I am just very glad to see that no one else in this thread is taking in his bullshit. I can still feel some hope for you GAF.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know what's worse...

a) OP's staggering ignorance about how radiation works
b) That he wants to go to Japan for a fucking Disney park (really? REALLY?)
c) That he proudly mentions his ignorance about where Chernobyl is
d) That he compares Fukashima to Chernobyl when the levels of radiation were not the same
e) That he doesn't even know that despite that Chernobyl is still safe to visit and people do visit all the time
f) That his method for risk assessment is the most ludicrous ever
g) That he's "100% not going now" and refuses to even listen to the overwhelming evidence that he's wrong

(That took more bullet points than I thought, too.)

Glad to see there isn't a defense force for OP's ignorance and utter lack of critical thinking (yet), at least...

because you're acting like and sounding like an idiot with posts like these.

Bulzeeb

I dont think so, but if some weird creature appears out of nowhere asking for help, is it wise to refuse unless you want to get involved in some weird shit

Top Bottom