• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your avatar a bunch of crappy text? The thread to fix that lives again!

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
HUELEN10 said:
24cslf8.png

152>150. I'd help you, but I suck at gifs, sorry. :(

The filesize when saved is actually LARGER than when viewed in the browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_size

Boogat

Good thing I saw this thread because I think mine was originally 125x125. Resized it and I hope it's ok now. Let me know if it's not.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Boogat said:
Good thing I saw this thread because I think mine was originally 125x125. Resized it and I hope it's ok now. Let me know if it's not.

It scales down to 90x90... might be better to go ahead and resize it to 90x90.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ It isn't because when you add it to gaf, it gets exploded to 90px width wise, which makes it higher than 120px.

Maybe there should be a "Make Me An Avatar" thread once and for all...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

see....ugh, that's what I get for trying to be cool and under the limits. kinda seems like a forum problem though but hey I aint one to argue lol.
I just saw this thread today :(

oh well, guess I gotta live with my new avatar :(

Ecrofirt

g35twinturbo said:
I'm sorry but I am confused!

my avatar was this

http://pl.tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=fVoSkrnCCyeHYbPkCBKXP4h4l5k2TGxc

http://s4.tinypic.com/282q3x1.jpg

isn't this the right size or am I missing something?

The forum auto-resizes images so that they're 90 pixels wide and automatically scales the image height appropriately as well.

Your avatar was 85x120. Scaled up, that's 90x127.

The math works like this:
ScalePercentage = 90 / AvatarWidth
AvatarHeight = ScalePercentage * AvatarHeight

So for you:
ScalePercentage = 90 / 85 = 1.06

And thus, you were over the limit.

I hate doing this, but I want to see if anyone can make this into Avatar size?

Structural.gif

I don't know if it can be done without it looking extremely distorted. I don't have PS or any programs on my laptop; Ironically I asked my friend who's a Graphics Arts major with CS4 and she couldn't do it.

Devil Theory said:
I hate doing this, but I want to see if anyone can make this into Avatar size?

Structural.gif

Had to compress it waaaay down, in rough form it was over 5 mb's. But it still looks pretty cool. I can also slow the animation down a little bit, but I think it looks pretty good like this.

Also, if you do use it, please rehost the image.

noah111

Still Alive
Very awesome that the avatars are a temporary thing, never seen that before. :lol

PS. Just wondering, but why do some people save still images as .gifs? Wouldn't that degrade the quality for no reason? :\

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Sentry said:
Very awesome that the avatars are a temporary thing, never seen that before. :lol

PS. Just wondering, but why do some people save still images as .gifs? Wouldn't that degrade the quality for no reason? :\

Animated images have to be GIFs. JPEGs won't animate.

Orangepeel said:
500 internal server errors beat me to the punch heh

Heh. I got a 500 too, but it still posted through. ^_^

DidntKnowJack said:
Yeah, sorry about the blurriness, my photo editing tools are pretty limited.

edit: Nice job, oneeightzero.

Thanks. ^_^

I was gonna say, I'm not sure it needed fixing.

But in case you wanted it resized anyway, here ya go.
hajime-no-ippo.gif

Just rehost if you decide to use it. But again, yours gets scaled by GAF anyways, so not sure you have to.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
DidntKnowJack said:
I was gonna say, I'm not sure it needed fixing.

But in case you wanted it resized anyway, here ya go.
hajime-no-ippo.gif

Just rehost if you decide to use it. But again, yours gets scaled by GAF anyways, so not sure you have to.

Does look more awesome this way. ^_^

Clipper

Sentry said:
I know, I said still images.. PS, would this avatar be alright?;

zlypap.gif

Thinking of eventually switching to it.
Yes it would be fine, as is Jirotrom's (I'm not a mod, but the rules are very clear).

And on your comment about GIFs, I have no clue what you mean. GIF is a lossless compression method, like PNG. JPG, on the other hand, is lossy and does change the image slightly in order to achieve compression. GIF does have a limited colour palette, but most images don't have that many colours.

Shamrock

Banned
My Real name is Nick the Bruiser, I'm only 29 and I"m not in charge here. But by God if I were in charge I would just fix the website so you couldn't exceed the maximum Avatar settings.

Now if you consider the Scientific Properties of my proposal which we will call "proposition Avatar crack down". Perhaps I will change the name, last time I propositioned someone it got me caught up in a clever little scheme of treachery and deceit by my local police department. To my credit though I did think the cop was a hooker.

So why allow the avatars to even pass through the security checkpoints? See with technology breakthroughs of this current generation we can stop this atrocity before it starts. That's right I'm talking about the roots. We cut the roots and the tree stops growing.

And the World will be a better place.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Shamrock said:
My Real name is Nick the Bruiser, I'm only 29 and I"m not in charge here. But by God if I were in charge I would just fix the website so you couldn't exceed the maximum Avatar settings.

Now if you consider the Scientific Properties of my proposal which we will call "proposition Avatar crack down". Perhaps I will change the name, last time I propositioned someone it got me caught up in a clever little scheme of treachery and deceit by my local police department. To my credit though I did think the cop was a hooker.

So why allow the avatars to even pass through the security checkpoints? See with technology breakthroughs of this current generation we can stop this atrocity before it starts. That's right I'm talking about the roots. We cut the roots and the tree stops growing.

And the World will be a better place.

This is the first time I'm doing this. So be certain to tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

Wat?

Red Scarlet

If it's the same one you had, then no, it will be 90 by 12x, which was about 127 when I changed it. Make it 90 across, that was the issue with yours (and probably 95% of them); the resize to 90 makes them more than 120 vertically.

Top Bottom