• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Zelda: Spirit Tracks really coming this Dec. 07? The least hyped zelda in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RANDOM OPINION DUMP

the ice dungeon in LTTP was really hard

THIS HAS BEEN A RANDOM OPINION DUMP

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think my VC save is stuck on the Ice Dungeon in LTTP. I've blitzed that damn game from heaven to hell for over a decade, and I'm stuck on some shitty Ice Dungeon that I could waltz through blindfolded when I was younger? WTF?

Now I'm stuck on the 2nd dungeon in Link's Awakening. I need a key to open a door and I can't find it.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Rez said:
RANDOM OPINION DUMP

Two can play at this game.

RANDOM OPINION DUMP

Heavy Mole in Kirby's Adventure is the least memberable boss

THIS HAS BEEN A RANDOM OPINION DUMP[/QUOTE]

Windmill

Banned
Time and time again, people who've never played OOT back in the day but go back now and try to play it rarely seem to "get" what all of us who played in then "got". Though I can safely say its my favourite Zelda and favourite game of all time, lets face it, its not that great of a game now by todays standards. In fact, a lot of N64 games haven't aged very well. I only just started getting into FPS, and I tried to go and play Golden eye. Needless to say, it was pretty shitty compared to COD4. Laughable, actually.

speedpop

I've never even had the thought to go back to GoldenEye. It was great back then, I wasted many hours playing it with my siblings, but to think that I would load it up again now and enjoy it makes me shudder.

AniHawk

speedpop said:
I've never even had the thought to go back to GoldenEye. It was great back then, I wasted many hours playing it with my siblings, but to think that I would load it up again now and enjoy it makes me shudder.

It kinda surprised me so many were bummed out it wasn't getting an XBLA update. PD64 is happening instead, so that's awesome since it's so much better in every way.

Windmill

Banned
markot said:
Dungeons are my least favourite part of Zelda games.

!
They used to be my least favourite part too. That is, until Twilight Princess. Not only was every new area a dungeon anyway (I get to go to
Gruedo Valley?
Sweet! Wait, what? FUCK! This is just another dungeon!.... oh look, I get to
a sky city?
HELL YEAH! Wait, what...? FUCK! ANOTHER DUNGEON!!!) anywhere that didn't happen to be a dungeon felt so dead and lifeless. The dungeons were actually a lot of fun, even if thats all the game consisted of.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
The Ocarina folks have a little more sanity on their side. They're just living in the past. OoT once was the best ever, and TP has surpassed it. FFVII was never the best RPG by any stretch of the imagination.

Bah, at the very least I still like OoT's music better. Lo-fi midi and all. :mad:

Windmill

Banned
markot said:
I just generally like the stuff between dungeons more then the actual dungeons.

But I still like em.
Yeah I agree with you on that, that is the most fun generally. What I especially liked was Majoras Mask, there was a TON of stuff to do. I liked only having 4 major dungeons. Even Ocarina of Time jumped on that bandwagon to an extent. As a kid, I was freaked out of the goblin guys guarding the forest temple, so I messed around for hours out of it doing whatever I could to procrastinate. I ended up getting epona, and beating Gruedo Valley with just my hookshot. The freedom to do whatever you wanted was awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
speedpop said:
I think my VC save is stuck on the Ice Dungeon in LTTP. I've blitzed that damn game from heaven to hell for over a decade, and I'm stuck on some shitty Ice Dungeon that I could waltz through blindfolded when I was younger? WTF?

Now I'm stuck on the 2nd dungeon in Link's Awakening. I need a key to open a door and I can't find it.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

Heh, same thing happened to me when I downloaded LttP from VC and now I'm stuck on the Swamp Dungeon. I think it's because I stopped partway through, now I have this key I don't know where it goes to.

speedpop

Andrex said:
Heh, same thing happened to me when I downloaded LttP from VC and now I'm stuck on the Swamp Dungeon. I think it's because I stopped partway through, now I have this key I don't know where it goes to.
I think that's why I wanted to go through the full series again.. just for old times sake, possibly relive my childhood somewhat, and to redo the problems I created in LTTP. Problem was my first choice of game in Link's Awakening dealt me with a big morale blow in the guise of a single misplaced key.

AniHawk

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You know what this thread needs? More crazed TheGrayGhost ramblings.
wrjfgy.jpg

SCReuter

Windmill said:
They used to be my least favourite part too. That is, until Twilight Princess. Not only was every new area a dungeon anyway (I get to go to
Gruedo Valley?
Sweet! Wait, what? FUCK! This is just another dungeon!.... oh look, I get to
a sky city?
HELL YEAH! Wait, what...? FUCK! ANOTHER DUNGEON!!!) anywhere that didn't happen to be a dungeon felt so dead and lifeless. The dungeons were actually a lot of fun, even if thats all the game consisted of.

Again, I remember Twilight Princess offering a good deal of content between each dungeon.

Stuff like herding goats, navigating through the sewers of Hyrule Castle, sneaking through villages, scaling rooftops, blowing up some poor sap's storage house, sumo wrestling, wrangling Epona, jousting, leaping off a fiery bridge, flying up a cavern StarFox-style, unfreezing Zora's Domain, battling a mini-boss in the center of Lake Hylia, leading a convoy back to Kakariko Village, river rafting, boar riding, taking down Bokoblins in a good ol' fashion spaghetti western shootout, fishing, snowboarding against a Yeti, and so on. Then there are the numerous mini-quests the player can go on to discover all the treasure chests.

legend166

Vercingetorix said:
The magic robots are paramount.

In general, I want the old Nintendo back, one where the creative attention is directed toward things like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, etc, and away from Nintendogs, Pikmin, Wii Music, etc.

Sure, it won't happen, but that's what I'd like to see. Until that (never) happens, I'll just be playing 360 and PC games.

I know this post is about 3 days old now, and I don't even know if we are still discussing this, but I couldn't let this slip through the cracks.

I mean really.

Really.

hatchx

Banned
AniHawk said:
It kinda surprised me so many were bummed out it wasn't getting an XBLA update. PD64 is happening instead, so that's awesome since it's so much better in every way.

With better framerate and online too. GOTY

darkwings

Banned
Anihawk said:
The Ocarina folks have a little more sanity on their side. They're just living in the past. OoT once was the best ever, and TP has surpassed it.

TP surpassed OoT in terms of graphics(duh), and that's about it. Everything else, no.

Firestorm said:
Banned because he wouldn't stop being a delusional, topic-derailing, crazy-person.

All praise Jesus.

He drowned in the blue ocean.
:lol

If I had to listen to him about how New Super Mario Bros. was a much better Mario game than Galaxy one more time...

TP surpassed OoT in terms of graphics(duh), and that's about it. Everything else, no.

Oh that's a load of horse shit.

darkwings

Banned
AniHawk said:
At the very least, the level design in TP is a lot more original.

Is it? the world is bigger, but it is not much more interesting.

In terms of towns:

Kakariko in TP = brown muddy mess
Castletown = poor camera angles, horrible loading times
Zora village or whatever = Small and uninteresting

TP had the least interesting towns ever in a Zelda game imo.

Oh that's a load of horse shit.

That's a great argument. Come up with the things that you think TP does better than OoT (except for graphics)

watkinzez

Rez said:
RANDOM OPINION DUMP

Just finished that one last night. Goddamn sprinting ice demons that take away like ten hearts.

darkwings said:

In terms of towns:

Kakariko in TP = brown muddy mess
Castletown = poor camera angles, horrible loading times
Zora village or whatever = Small and uninteresting

TP had the least interesting towns ever in a Zelda game imo.

That's a great argument. Come up with the things that you think TP does better than OoT (except for graphics)

Kakariko in OoT = green, blurry mess

I'm sorry, I'd make arguments with you if your arguments weren't completely devoid of merit.

Windmill

Banned
The towns at the time of OOT were huge and alive and exciting. At the time, nothing compared. Those of us that go back and replay the game has nostaglia, because we feel like we felt when we played the game then.

But by Twilight Princess, Nintendo had gotten behind. Twilight Princess, all of the areas were small, uninteresting and dead by current standards. It is true too, areas in it were even smaller than the N64 version. Zoras Fountain was SMALLER and had even less to do (not that OOT had much to do either).

Twilight Princess just failed to live up to the worlds we had come to expect. It was a really dead game. Thats the best way I can describe it. Dead.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
GrotesqueBeauty said:
You know what this thread needs? More crazed postmodernist fanfiction.
Fixed.
They'd make us appreciate more the story Nintendo is cooking for the next games.

AniHawk

darkwings said:

No, there's a lot more to find in TP's overworld. In addition to secret areas where you find heart pieces, there's a mini ice dungeon and a mini fire dungeon and two underground caverns in addition to the cave of trials (I forgot what it's called).

And when I say level design, I mostly refer to the dungeons.

darkwings

Banned
AniHawk said:
No, there's a lot more to find in TP's overworld. In addition to secret areas where you find heart pieces, there's a mini ice dungeon and a mini fire dungeon and two underground caverns in addition to the cave of trials (I forgot what it's called).

And when I say level design, I mostly refer to the dungeons.

The dungeons in TP are mostly great, but so are the dungeons in OoT. Forest temple, fire tempel, spirit temple are all amazing. I am not so sure that the dungeons in TP surpass those in OoT. I really liked the Snow Mansion and Arbiters ground in TP, but overall I still prefer OoT.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Rez said:
RANDOM OPINION DUMP

ha, weird, i was just playing this dungeon last night and was stuck in the last five minutes of the dungeon for a good forty-five.

okay, we all agree that MM is the best 3D Zelda game and LA is the best 2D Zelda game.

and we all agree that this is still the worst post:

Mana Sin said:
How about LoZ : Modern World? (Legend of Zelda: Scales of Destiny?)

It would take place in a semi-modern world where a hot shot politician is quickly gaining control of his country and has his eyes set on further domination. Our Link is a young adult who is interested in law, but dreams one night of the evil that is Ganon. He awakes screaming in pain as the symbol of the triforce is burned into his hand. He will not follow the same path of the usual Link, as he will be far more cold and calculating in his action. There'll be no princess begging him to take up a sword to save the world; He'll be doing this because Ganon is threatening his own personal wealth and influence with his actions.

One thing leads to another and Link begins traveling this enormous world searching for shards of the triforce of courage in hopes of dispelling the curse of influence Ganondorf (Known as G.G. Rudo. [Ganon Gurudo, though it's never said in full.]) is using to take political control of the world.

- Zelda and Link meet somewhere in some 3rd world country and fight over a piece of triforce until they decide to join forces; Zelda is a hot spy chick from some foreign government.

- The master sword is smelted into bullets for the final 'battle'. The assassination of Ganon. This is done because there is a little known allergy that Ganon has that is triggered by a strange substance the sword seems to be made of.

- Normal bullets wouldn't work because he has the worlds greatest medics on hand (Twinrova).

- Dungeons can range from a simple ruin filled with strange animals that you must kill because they are feral and vicious(Link uses a gun, obv) , to something akin to a mission from a stealth game where Link must sneak past guards and cameras to reach a containment vault holding the triforce shard.

- One shard must be bought from a strange zealous collector of 'fine artifacts', so you need to go around the large world doing various side quests to bulk up your bank account.

- Link will be hunted by hitmen after he is seen leaving a museum with the first triforce shard, those of which Ganon also lusts after.

This sounds bad, doesn't it? =/
I'm picturing link coming from a wealthy family, so he flies on private jets during his adventure, and might even have his own 'Q' designing new guns and other gadgets to be used during times where a gun is not the best item to use. Every idea I post ends up sounding like fan fiction -.- I really need to start writing a book to get this nonsense out of my head.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EmCeeGramr said:
My Metal Gear Zelda 4: Links of the G.G.Rudos post was worse. Or at least I hope so.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
though i tend to try and avoid ranking zelda games at all (as i said, it doesn't seem to matter much inside the context of playing them, as once i'm "in the shit" i enjoy them all pretty equally), if forced to do so i wouldn't put LA or MM as my top picks, or even in my top three really. it should be said that it took me the longest to play these two, though--i even finished ADVENTURE OF LINK before i played them. i really think so many around here underestimate the importance of context: i was ten or eleven, i think, when i played LTTP, and it was this incredible massive leap over the nes game i loved that expounded on the great ideas there, so of course it's going to still evoke those sort of emotions in me. same for OCARINA.

then again, that idea will prompt several people to jump in with a contrary entry about how they just played MM last year and it's still the best, but whatever. i don't think you can separate your personal experience and situation from the game itself, much as some would like to pretend to.

EmCeeGramr said:
okay, we all agree that MM is the best 3D Zelda game and LA is the best 2D Zelda game.

Ah, so it looks like we are at a consensus then. Wind Waker is the best 3D Zelda and LTTP is the best 2D Zelda. Good thing we put this silly trifle behind us.

EmCeeGramr said:

Wtf was that post about a modern zelda about? Wow.....

beelzebozo said:
though i tend to try and avoid ranking zelda games at all (as i said, it doesn't seem to matter much inside the context of playing them, as once i'm "in the shit" i enjoy them all pretty equally), if forced to do so i wouldn't put LA or MM as my top picks, or even in my top three really. it should be said that it took me the longest to play these two, though--i even finished ADVENTURE OF LINK before i played them. i really think so many around here underestimate the importance of context: i was ten or eleven, i think, when i played LTTP, and it was this incredible massive leap over the nes game i loved that expounded on the great ideas there, so of course it's going to still evoke those sort of emotions in me. same for OCARINA.

then again, that idea will prompt several people to jump in with a contrary entry about how they just played MM last year and it's still the best, but whatever. i don't think you can separate your personal experience and situation from the game itself, much as some would like to pretend to.

Agreed. That's why I say OoT is my favorite game. For 2D, LA is my favorite because of the memories I had when I first played it. I don't think anyone else knows the feeling of leaving their copy of LA in Germany and begging their Aunt to post it to the United States to continue playing it.

I think it's too hard to rank the games for me. The only ranking I can provide is that I felt like Phantom Hourglass was the worst of the series; still great, just not as good as the rest.

The most recent Zelda game I did replay was LTTP on Virtual Console a couple months ago and I still think it's an incredible game. The only, and I mean only, fault I can think of is that Moldorm is an annoying boss fight.

Mana Sin

Well, you gotta admit that seeing Ganon in a pinstripe suit would be interesting? You're just trying to stifle my creativity :'(

I remember coming across a site where people would make their own Zelda games in the form of NES or GBA zelda games. It was an interesting idea, but seemed a little silly and buggy. The one I played for a bit was called something like 'Hero of Destiny'. I'm pretty sure this stuff is old as dirt though.

Here's another idea. Hylean Exosuit Z. Link is a pilot of the powerful Exosuit Z, a mobile suit designed in the image of popular legends. It's mostly green with a large beam sword that glows gray and a pointed head that ends in a slant. He is charged with protecting the Empress Zelda from space pirates and rebels.

The head of the rebel fleet, Duke Ganon, had stolen the special prototype Exosuit Trinity. This Exosuit is crafted in the image of the goddesses of the Empress' home world, and has the golden crest of her family shiny on the breastplate. His goal is to capture Exosuit Z and kidnap the princess to further his goal of taking over the galaxy.

Is this as bad as Modern Zelda? I thought if you loved that idea ever so much, you would adore the idea of a futuristic Zelda

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
forever; now let's never speak of it again

EmCeeGramr, you'll find no argument there :lol

Out of curiosity, why do people keep having these crazy suggestions for Zelda games? Obviously you'll get crazy suggestions on an internet forum no matter what.

But why Zelda?

If you want Nintendo to make some kind of weird modern day setting political drama or whatever, why the hell shouldn't be an original IP? Why does it have to involve the triforce and Hyrule and whatnot?

Nintendo didn't just give Mario a sword, put him in a medieval fantasy setting and call it "The Legend of Mario." They made a new IP, because it was obviously the right thing to do.

They didn't put Link or Mario into an Arwing and call it StarZelda. I don't see why so many Nintendo fans seem to think they should never make an original IP ever again.

AniHawk said:

Your blasphemy is regrettable but expected. Perfect Dark is great, but it most certainly isn't Goldeneye 007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom