• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS orders female genital mutilation in Mosul for ages between 11 and 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

I rage that ANYONE thinks this shit is right. Even if it's one person regardless of their reasons - from religion to medical quackery.

Also, just because it isn't supported in someone's holy book doesn't mean that some people won't find a way to distort it anyways. And until I see the faith as a whole fight back, denounce, and hold accountable with the same vigor as the people who use it for evil against others - they're just as complicit. Wagging your finger at someone and saying that's not very *insert religion* of them/they're not true *insert religion here* isn't enough. These people are psychotic.
ISIS orders FMG in a muslim-populated country that doesn't practice it.
Muslims in the country suffer from it
Muslims in the country are complicit because they are Muslims and Muslims (as a whole) around the world didn't denounce it.

Gotcha!

ISIS has done enough proven horrendous things. FGM wouldn't even be in the top 5 of terrible atrocities they've caused, and that's saying something.
Yep, the saddest part if anything.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
ISIS has done enough proven horrendous things. FGM wouldn't even be in the top 5 of terrible atrocities they've caused, and that's saying something.

Exactly, don't forget half of the shit the UN reports is fabricated. The UN has and will always be an extension of Western hidden agenda, ie nation wrecking and resource stealing. An institution where certain parts of it should not even exist.

ISIS needs to be removed from the face of the earth, but certain accusations against them should come with real prove and not fabricated bullshit by the western media everyone takes as the truth. I'm sure Saddam is still hording an atomic bomb ready to unleash upon humanity.
UN is looking into it, they might have chomped on the bit of a hoax.
The story quickly began to go viral, racking up hundreds of shares on social media. Soon thereafter, however, journalists with contacts in Iraq began reporting that the story didn’t hold up. “My contacts in #Mosul have NOT heard that ‘Islamic State’ ordered FGM for all females in their city,” Jenan Moussa, a reporter with Al Anan TV tweet out. “Iraqi contacts say #Mosul story is fake,” echoed freelance writer Shaista Aziz, adding: “Iraqi contact on #FGM story: “ISIS are responsible for many horrors, this story is fake and plays to western audience emotions.’”

NPR’s Cairo bureau chief also claimed that the story was false, tweeting “#UN statement that #ISIS issued fatwa calling 4 FGM 4 girls is false residents of Mosul say including a doctor, journalist and tribal leader.” Not long after a version of a document in Arabic, bearing the black logo that ISIS has adopted, began circulating on Twitter. The document, those who shared it said, is a hoax and the basis for the United Nations’ claim.

As one analyst who looked at the document told the Independent, the issuing of such an edict would be a huge shift for ISIS, which has held territory in Syria for months without demanding that FGM take place. The practice tends to be based more on culture, Shiraz Maher, a Senior Fellow at King’s College London, said and “not something jihadists have ever really taken up” or “spoken about.” ThinkProgress reached out to the United Nations for comment on the discrepancy, but did not receive a response as of press time.

The traction that this story seemed to quickly gain is easy to understand given ISIS’ previous actions in the territory it controls. Along with reports of civilian executions, massacring Shiites, and enforcing a strict adherence to their interpretation of Islamic law, ISIS has even resurrected the practice of crucifixion in Syria. But for now it appears that female cutting is one atrocity that ISIS has yet to order.
http://thinkprogress.org/world/2014...t-ordering-female-genital-mutilation-in-iraq/

To be clear I think circumsion of any kind is bad. If you are all grown up and want to, well. I'll think your insane but whatever. But these guy? On another level. Fuck these guys, they can go cut their own penis, assholes.

Edit: If its fake. Well hopefully it is. Damn.

Kurdel

Banned
I can't believe these savages have support in the region and in the world.

edit: Thank god, thank you for posting Speculawyer!

ISIS orders FMG in a muslim-populated country that doesn't practice it.
Muslims in the country suffer from it
Muslims in the country are complicit because they are Muslims and Muslims (as a whole) around the world didn't denounce it.
Gotcha!
So if you're suffering from something, you shouldn't gather and fight up against it.

Gotcha.

Suen

So if you're suffering from something, you shouldn't gather and fight up against it.

Gotcha.
No. I'm saying that if you are suffering from a crime you have no fucking obligation in denouncing anything to not seem complicit in its support when your state of condition pretty much tells your stance on the matter. The fact that you are essentially saying that victims of a crime should denounce the crime to not be complicit in supporting the act is fucking disgusting. But continue using the victims to lump people in one category so you can stroke your own ego.

Bigfoot

I don't know why forced circumcision (yes, males included) still exists these days. No parent or ruling body should have the right to alter a baby or child without their consent. It's barbaric.

No. I'm saying that if you are suffering from a crime you have no fucking obligation in denouncing anything to not seem complicit in its support when your state of condition pretty much tells your stance on the matter. The fact that you are essentially saying that victims of a crime should denounce the crime to not be complicit in supporting the act is fucking disgusting. But continue using the victims to lump people in one category so you can stroke your own ego.
But I'm not singling out victims. I see what you're saying. Yes, I can agree that if you're going through it, it does not mean not saying something means you condone it. I can be an asshole but I'm not that much of one. At the same time, with as long as this has been going on, when is the community going to draw the line and say enough is enough with the radicalism - this isn't how we want to be known? This includes everyone in the faith.

I guess I just get frustrated trying to wrap my head round this. People get hurt on all sides. I hear some claiming peace but I only see people suffering as they keep their heads down under what are human rights violations. Meanwhile, it seems like the people who are getting to power are fucking batshit about their views on how people should be treated - especially those that don't agree with them. I want more people to stand up but I also know that's just going to lead to more hurt with the possibility of it never getting better.

Anyways, I'm done. Fuck people treating other people like shit for stupid reasons.

studyguy

So this is false?

If it is some propaganda being lobbed against ISIS then whoever was behind it did a damn good job of making sure the word got out. It's an appalling statement to make all things considered though, so it isn't surprising either that this spread like wildfire. Anyway I'm against any type of forced mutilation at any age.

FStop7

Banned
Honestly, it didn't make sense. It's not a practice that the type of extremists who comprise ISIS' leadership would espouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom