• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel faces mounting Palestinian anger over holy site metal detectors

Kolx

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu considered removing on Thursday metal detectors at a Jerusalem holy site after their installation following a deadly attack last week stirred up Palestinian protests and threats of escalation.

There have been nightly confrontations between Palestinians hurling rocks and Israeli police using stun grenades in Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem since the devices were placed on Sunday at entrances to the Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary compound.

Tensions were high ahead of Friday prayers when thousands of Muslims usually flock to al-Aqsa mosque, Islam's third holiest shrine, in the compound above Judaism's sacred Western Wall.

Palestinian factions vowed it would be a "day of rage" and confrontation with Israeli forces, which put five army regiments on standby to reinforce troops in the occupied West Bank.

Muslim religious authorities say the metal detectors violate a delicate agreement on worship and security arrangements at the Jerusalem site and have urged Palestinians not to pass through. Prayers have been held near an entrance to the complex.

Netanyahu held security consultations over the issue on his return to Israel from visits to France and Hungary. Israeli Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan said Netanyahu was expected to decide on a course of action during the evening meeting.

Far-right members of Netanyahu's government have publicly urged him to keep the devices in place at the flashpoint site. But Israeli media reports said security chiefs were divided over the issue amid concerns about wider Palestinian unrest in East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

"The prime minister is considering whether to change this decision, and that's his prerogative," Erdan said on Army Radio. He described the equipment as a legitimate security measure.

On July 14, three Arab-Israeli gunmen shot dead two Israeli policemen outside the Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary complex in one of the most serious attacks in the area for years. The assailants were killed by security forces. Israel briefly closed the compound, holy to Jews as the site of biblical temples, and installed the metal detectors which it said were commonplace at religious sites worldwide.

Israel considers all of Jerusalem its capital, a claim that is not recognized internationally.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-turkey-idUSKBN1A5116

That seems like a very unreasonable reaction to metal detectors after the murder of those two officers.

I mean it seems like the natural response to take after something like that. Like how after a school shooting a school may have metal detectors set up for a time.

I mean it seems like the logical thing to do after what happened... by that i mean adding the metal detectors.

Also this part:

Israel considers all of Jerusalem its capital, a claim that is not recognized internationally.

I do not know why it was added, it is not like Israel cares what the international community thinks since the international community will not do anything about Israel actions...

Slime

Banned
That seems like a very unreasonable reaction to metal detectors after the murder of those two officers.

I mean it seems like the natural response to take after something like that. Like how after a school shooting a school may have metal detectors set up for a time.

But it's like their third holiest site, dude. That's, like, really holy.

Leopold

I mean it seems like the logical thing to do after what happened... by that i mean adding the metal detectors.

Also this part:

I do not know why it was added, it is not like Israel cares what the international community thinks since the international community will not do anything about Israel actions...

After terrorists murdered police officers and tried to use the Temple Mount status quo in order to hide...yeah, adding metal detectors was completely justified. Complaining is imbecile.

Ushay

"Palestinians hurling rocks and Israeli police using stun grenades"

Pretty much sums up the one sided conflict taking place there. Regardless of the Israelis do, they will never suffer any consequences. They can and will continue their systematic elimination of Muslims in the region.

Makes me wonder if Palestinians had the same kind of funding and resources the Israelis receive from the rest of the world.. it speaks volumes about how much the Muslim world cares about them.

You are not looking at the bigger picture here. Go ahead and compare the Palestinian fatalities to Israeli, the news last week was a propaganda piece with far greater emphasis than it deserves, a product of the Israeli media machine. Soldiers/Officers (who stand on the front line doing their duty) do NOT equate to innocent civilians.

jelly

Can't say I'm against the metal detectors. Keep people safe. Maybe putting them elsewhere as well so it's not pointing the finger so to speak.

Slythe

Two cops were killed in broad daylight in perhaps the most contentious religious location in the world. I understand the desire on Israel's part to up the security measures till things calm down.

Is it set up in such a way that it prevents people from entering? I don't really get the issue with metal detectors in an area just after a terrorist attack either.

ZiZ

It isn't about the metal detectors. This recent escalation started before the metal detectors were installed. Palestinians are angry because the Israelis closed the mosque for a while and are now policing who gets to pray.

What this is about is that Palestinians are subjugated and oppressed by the Israelis and have no say in their own lives. Parroting a line about metal detectors being okay is basically lying by omission (or being completely clueless).

Kinyou

What this is about is that Palestinians are subjugated and oppressed by the Israelis and have no say in their own lives. Parroting a line about metal detectors being okay is basically lying by omission (or being completely clueless).
To just consider every decision by the Israel goverment as oppressive would imo be a mistake. Going by the information in the article metal detectors seem like a good idea. You can agree with that while disapproving of Israels larger policies.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Translation: Muslim fanatics going nuts over metal detectors looks bad and hurts the anti-Israel narrative. Therefore, they don't REALLY care about metal detectors--they're just being oppressed and this is how they express it.

ZiZ

To just consider every decision by the Israel goverment as oppressive would imo be a mistake. Going by the information in the article metal detectors seem like a good idea. You can agree with that while disapproving of Israels larger policies.

You're falling into the same trap. These clashes began before the metal detectors were installed.

It's like if you wound someone, which makes them furious. Then you rub salt in their wound and write an article about how they hate salt.

The key is Palestinians having no say in their own lives. That's one of the most important root problems of the entire conflict.

If it such a problem for Israeli police why not let Palestinian security operate it? Oh yeah that would be giving some worth to Palestinian lives, can't do that....

Dude Abides

Banned
Translation: Muslim fanatics going nuts over metal detectors looks bad and hurts the anti-Israel narrative. Therefore, they don't REALLY care about metal detectors--they're just being oppressed and this is how they express it.

Translation: Fakestinians have no rights an Israeli is bound to respect.

Jag

The Mosque is so sensitive that any change in the status quo is an excuse to incite the mob.

Holy sites all over the world have substantially increased security these days.

Leopold

It's not Israel's place to put regulations on a Palestinian mosque.

The entrances are in Israeli territory and the agreement with Jordan made sure that would not change. Terrorists used the Temple Mount as a way to flee the police after killing two officers. Comply with rules and things will be fine.

Maztorre

The entrances are in Israeli territory and the agreement with Jordan made sure that would not change. Terrorists used the Temple Mount as a way to flee the police after killing two officers. Comply with rules and things will be fine.

Oh good, since we're going to start enforcing territorial rules than Israel will cease it's illegal settlement program, yes?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Translation: Fakestinians have no rights an Israeli is bound to respect.
I don't know about "no rights", but true, I don't think the right to not have to go through a metal detector before praying at a particularly dangerous site is all that important.

zeroOman

There is 3 dead right now.... thing are get heated.

DFQ_SOGW0AAdr-5.jpg

pic of the dead body.

DFQ7jj8WsAAyh-W.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I don't see how the metal detectors are unreasonable at all. I understand the broader context and everything, but really this is not where it's really prudent to fight about.

I don't see how the metal detectors are unreasonable at all. I understand the broader context and everything, but really this is not where it's really prudent to fight about.

If you understand the broader context, why are you so concerned about the nature of the straw that breaks the camel's back?

rudger

I really have to stop reading threads about Israel on this forum. Way too many people have a simplistic and frankly naive understanding of the situation and then lash out at anybody who doesn't agree with them. It's tiring. And I don't even like Israel all that much.

Leopold

Oh good, since we're going to start enforcing territorial rules than Israel will cease it's illegal settlement program, yes?

You're just attempting to middle two issues together. The Temple Mount status and the Waqf admin are discussed by the Jordan Israel Agreement of 1994. Israel gives them autonomy, not sovereignty, at the site. Security is supposed to be done by Israel.

Don't use it as a terrorist hideout and it will be fine as it was. Israeli govt has no interest in changing the status or claiming the place. This is reckless and irresponsible propaganda.

Most of the protests were due to inflammatory speeches and incitement by the Mufti.

rrvv

Well is symbolize that Israel is in control of the holy site. Is like putting your country flag in indispute land.

TDLink

The absolute level of anti-Israel sentiment on GAF is ridiculous.

It's a very murky issue and one side is definitely not all right or all wrong. Absolutely nothing justifies murdering some officers standing around doing their jobs.

Terrorists are Terrorists, call a spade a spade.

TDLink

You do realize the irony of your post, right? In the US every single Muslim has been called a terrorist at leas once in their lives (I'm not even exaggerating).

I'm not saying call Muslims terrorists at all. Don't put words in my mouth. I am saying call Terrorists Terrorists. These guys came in guns blazing to kill people. And they did.

People in this topic are trying to justify their actions for various reasons, and they're not justifiable.

I'm not saying call Muslims terrorists at all. Don't put words in my mouth. I am saying call Terrorists Terrorists. These guys came in guns blazing to kill people. And they did.

Yes, but the term terrorist is just thrown around. For example who are you calling terrorists in your post?

EDIT: In case you don't get a chance to reply I'll get to my point. You'll say that people who killed police officers are terrorists (which is hard to disagree with), but are those Israel police officers who kill protesters terrorists?

The absolute level of anti-Israel sentiment on GAF is ridiculous.

It's a very murky issue and one side is definitely not all right or all wrong. Absolutely nothing justifies murdering some officers standing around doing their jobs.

Terrorists are Terrorists, call a spade a spade.
this isn't about the terrorists at this points it's about the israeli army shooting down protesters/rioters.

The people in this video:

Who came in and killed those officers and started a shootout?

EDIT: In case you don't get a chance to reply I'll get to my point. You'll say that people who killed police officers are terrorists (which is hard to disagree with), but are those Israel police officers who kill protesters terrorists?

If it such a problem for Israeli police why not let Palestinian security operate it? Oh yeah that would be giving some worth to Palestinian lives, can't do that....

Yeah and it certainly wouldn't be security risk as I'm sure Palestinian security would never be tempted to turn blind eye to people smuggling weapons.

TDLink

I of course don't advocate for anyone being killed at all. I don't want my post to be misconstrued.

Having said that, there's a big difference between Riot Police at a protest/riot killing a few people by accident (which happens in many western countries, including America) and people coming in, unprovoked by physical action, to kill random police officers (or whoever). It doesn't help of course that the Riot Police incident in this situation is a direct response to those random officers being killed in the first place. That doesn't justify it, but obvious the blue wall exists in many countries, not just the US and only furthers to complicate the issue.

A terrorist to you, a freedom fighter to others.

Even if you want to take the stance that the Palestinians are basically rebels fighting an empire or whatever (which frankly is really mis-characterizing the situation), killing random police officers doesn't accomplish any sort of goal. It only aggravates tensions and incites more violence. A random guy doing his job is not the Israeli Government. No "freedom" is going to be gained by this.

I can't believe you are in any way defending someone getting gunned down like that.

I don't have any solutions, but the ones proposed by so called moderate people always end with the ones in power consolidating power and the ones without power getting worse off.

I of course don't advocate for anyone being killed at all. I don't want my post to be misconstrued.

Having said that, there's a big difference between Riot Police at a protest/riot killing a few people by accident (which happens in many western countries, including America) and people coming in, unprovoked by physical action, to kill random police officers (or whoever). It doesn't help of course that the Riot Police incident in this situation is a direct response to those random officers being killed in the first place. That doesn't justify it, but obvious the blue wall exists in many countries, not just the US and only furthers to complicate the issue.

You do realize that those are not "random police officers" to them. They consider them an enemy. As far as Palestinians are concerned they are an occupying force. Not that I necessarily agree with them, but that's why there's a conflict.

Top Bottom