• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s way past time for the corporate bootlicking to stop

squarealex

fe9.jpg
Can say same thing for people "No Steam, No Buy" boys

There is a group of unhinged PS fans who have been having a prolonged meltdown about PC ports for like 4 years. This controversy is all tied up in that. I saw a post here in the original thread about the shitstorm suggesting that Sony did this on purpose to give them an excuse to exit from the PC market. It’s getting absurd.
Yeah I always see these posters in the Sony PC threads, it's crazy. Literal cult behaviour.

Hudo

I'm still upset they made me create an account and install a client to play my physical copy of Half Life 2.
I am with you on that. Do I use Steam? Yeah. Because it's the least worst out of all the DRM clients. Do I use GoG as well, when feasible? Yes. Doesn't mean I love Steam or GoG. Doesn't mean I wasn't fucking annoyed that I had to install Steam in order to play Half-Life 2. In fact I was so annoyed that there were days when I wasn't feeling opening Steam just to play the game. Also doesn't mean that I am agreeing to every bullshit Valve want to try/make on it in the future.

You can use a product and/or service of a company without pledging eternal loyalty and basing your whole identity around that company. And without feeling obligated to use anything else the company has to offer. The world is not black & white. And you shouldn't feel obligated to suck off a company and absolve them of any wrongdoing just because you like one or two things by them. They don't give a shit about you. You shouldn't give a shit about them either.

Back in my active WoW days, I hated plenty of the shit that Blizzard were doing with the game. Was even part of the people who were bitching about it in the official forums from time to time (back when these were a thing).

I fail to understand why there are quite a few people on this forum who apparently feel personally attacked when someone calls a company out for their shit. Other way around works as well, btw: I fucking hate EA but I do quite like what they did with the Command & Conquer Remastered collection some years ago. That was a great remaster of two legendary games. EA can still eat a dick, tho.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Missing the forest for the trees.
Not at all. Denouncing company tribalism by declaring "love" for a company.

If people really want to move away from tribalism, they ought to demand one fixed system with support from all publishers, using one general account for all games.

Otherwise, it's all still tribalism.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The amount of "Sony didn't do anything wrong/out of line, it's the people in those 177 countries that made a mistake!" Posts was insane.
Yep. It was exactly like with Adam Orth’s extraordinary “Why would I live there?” fuckup. Except that one was on the Xbox side.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
FunkMiller FunkMiller we might disagree on Zack Snyder and his DC run but I 100% respect your opinion because you are not a mindless troll. Also other than Snyder I agree with a lot of things with you on many threads and indeed the recent bootlicking has been crazy honestly.

So cheers 🥂 and let's hope you see the magnificence of Zack's DC run one day 🤣😘

Would love to see it happen, but it won't.

I think there's something in human nature that leads to this kind of tribal behavior. Some people express it when defending their political party of choice, others when it comes to sports and their favorite team and, others, their gaming platform of choice.

Hell, there's even people that will look down on your for having an Android phone instead of a fucking iPhone. :goog_relieved:
There absolutely is it's called tribalism as well as in-group and out-group. The reason why is because 99% of our evolution happened in small hunter gatherer tribes so our bodies evolved to maximize success in said tribes. Basically our bodies are wired for PvE where P is your tribe and E is everything else (particularly important because for the majority of our evolutionary history we never met others other than our tribal group since travel was slow on foot and our ancestors were separated by massive distances due to migration).

So we hardcore "simp" for our tribe/in-group as well as tolerate their mistakes and bullshit but don't express anywhere as much sympathy or interest in everything else (the outgroup). Examples of ingroup individuals are your brother/sister, mother or father, cousins, girlfriend/boyfriend, best friend, extended family, regular friends etc. You "simp" for your mom or sister far more than you would say some random class mate, there's a hierarchy to it (dictated by genetics, i.e your sister shares your genome so her success is your success biologically) but at the end of the day there's also a line drawn and that line is where your in-group ends and an out-group begins.

CGNoire

That's because Gamers are mostly Addicts.

Eventually we're gonna have to have a real Long and Hard conversation around here about the Parallels between Gaming and Drug Addiction.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I think overreactions also need to stop.

Had Sony required this from launch, and also supported other countries, would this even be an issue?

How many players actually lived in those affected countries?

Sony was dumb to roll it out the way they did but there’s much more important things to worry about than this insignificant shit
Sony's handling of this situation was hilariously bad.

The thing is, PSN was listed as a requirement on the Steam listing for the game right from the beginning. If this was truly that important to Sony, they should have made an announcement at the beginning that they were temporarily suspending that requirement, and it would come back as soon as the game was stable. When that time arrived, they should have given people at least a month to figure it out and also made sure people in regions without PSN wouldn't be fucked.

OuterLimits

Well, I already agreed with you earlier on that. Wish they were still were making games for sure.

But lets not pretend they do nothing for the gaming space, when they have the most user-friendly storefront on the market (imo).

This is true. I wish Sony would use some of the insane cash they make from PS+(especially after their recent huge price increase) to actually improve PSN. It is so archaic in numerous aspects.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
People, especially gamers are entitled babies now.

Congratulations. You have exactly the attitude they’ve manipulated you into having over the course of many years.

Social proofing is a very effective and easy way to program a consumer. And current social proofing is entirely geared towards creating conflicts between groups of consumers, to ensure brand loyalty.

They LOVE IT when you‘re critical of your fellow gamers. It’s exactly what they’re after, and exactly the point I was making at the top of this thread.

They’ve persuaded you that consumers complaining about poor service is a bad thing. That lets them get away with so much more!

Last edited:

gatti-man

This is just some crybaby nonsense. People are allowed to make a product and put rules around its use. Sorry they wanted a name and email from you seriously. All it does is teach Sony to not do day and date stuff for PC. This idea that corporations are soul less evil entities is wrong. They are people with goals and ideas of how they want their product used.

It’s funny you think they are just after money. I mean yeah that’s how businesses exist. Do you expect to be paid when you work? How do you think that magic happens exactly?

Broken games? Dude if games were priced like they were when games were full
Featured they’d be $150 a piece by now. Wake up. Gaming has never been better. Period.

The people who make these kinds of threads and don’t understand what I’m saying are usually young people who haven’t experienced what I’m talking about or lifetime poors. Yall are salty you don’t have it big and over react to things bc it gives you an adversary in life that doesn’t exist. Like a boogeyman.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Congratulations. You have exactly the attitude they’ve manipulated you into having over the course of many years.

Social proofing is a very effective and easy way to program a consumer. And current social proofing is entirely geared towards creating conflicts between groups of consumers, to ensure brand loyalty.

They LOVE IT when you‘re critical of your fellow gamers. It’s exactly what they’re after, and exactly the point I was making at the top of this thread.

They’ve persuaded you that consumers complaining about poor service is a bad thing. That lets them get away with so much more!
If you think Sony is trying to social engineer people by getting an email and name for a psn login I mean wow. You desperately need to touch grass and go outside. Work for a real company. Attend some meetings. Move up. There is no man behind the curtain your take is entirely absurd.

gatti-man

And people are allowed to change their stance on the product if they disagree with the rules.
Sure. That’s why people got refunds. The end. I mean it’s hella silly and childish to refund a game over an email and name that doesn’t even have to be real but you do you.

Only real reason is if you didn’t pay attention to the requirements at launch, bought it then realized you’d be locked out. It’s a game. Get a refund and move on. Be an adult.

Topher

Gold Member
Sure. That’s why people got refunds. The end. I mean it’s hella silly and childish to refund a game over an email and name that doesn’t even have to be real but you do you.

Only real reason is if you didn’t pay attention to the requirements at launch, bought it then realized you’d be locked out. It’s a game. Get a refund and move on. Be an adult.

Nothing "childish" about requesting a refund. Especially for those in countries where PSN doesn't exist and were going to be blocked from playing the game. Think you are oversimplifying this a bit.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
That was more than 20 years ago, even then they've done only good to me, their lows tend to be kinda flat anyway compared to other companies, god bless private ownership

It was mostly a joke to show some parallels to the situation. I do seem to recall a lot of backlash about Steam when HL2 launched. Times sure have changed.

Nothing "childish" about requesting a refund.

You are refunding a game. Games are toys. Toys are for children. King me.

checkmate-chess.gif

Last edited:

feynoob

This is just some crybaby nonsense. People are allowed to make a product and put rules around its use. Sorry they wanted a name and email from you seriously. All it does is teach Sony to not do day and date stuff for PC. This idea that corporations are soul less evil entities is wrong. They are people with goals and ideas of how they want their product used.

It’s funny you think they are just after money. I mean yeah that’s how businesses exist. Do you expect to be paid when you work? How do you think that magic happens exactly?

Featured they’d be $150 a piece by now. Wake up. Gaming has never been better. Period.

The people who make these kinds of threads and don’t understand what I’m saying are usually young people who haven’t experienced what I’m talking about or lifetime poors. Yall are salty you don’t have it big and over react to things bc it gives you an adversary in life that doesn’t exist. Like a boogeyman.

fe9.jpg

Fredrik

This is why I have zero faith as we move (or are forced) towards a cloud gaming future.

If people think things are bad now they haven't seen anything yet. Per minute tarrifs incoming and you'll have people leaping to defend it because "fun".

Excited Real Housewives GIF
Yeah people are in for a rude awakening within a decade if they think things are going to be better for gamers and consumers. I usually get spammed with laugh reactions whenever I talk about what I think will happen, I don’t think people are blind to where things are going so I always see it like this:
Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

Enjoy what we have now while we have it. We’ll soon have more launchers, with exclusives, and streaming only titles, ads, pay to unlock more of the game, online only requirements, games running from servers, etc.

feynoob

Nothing "childish" about requesting a refund. Especially for those in countries where PSN doesn't exist and were going to be blocked from playing the game. Think you are oversimplifying this a bit.
He is the type of guy that supports day 1 cyberpunk 2077.

Doczu

All of you knob polishers should sit down, shut the fuck up and look at the PCMR for once cause if you had half the 'tegridy when Sony put multiplayer behind a paywall we would still game for free with optional shit plans for game hoarders.

Buggy Loop

1a9.gif

Is this the winner of the most cringe post on GAF 2024?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Honestly; people just care way too much about the most insignificant bullshit.

I can't believe this whole ordeal was such a huge deal across the web.
Yes and the gentleman that made the thread even is worth it about it. Meanwhile you go outside of this stupid internet and nobody gives a damn. I saw some people just want to overreact and talk about their little thing as if our lives depend on it. And never even seen such an old reaction over such a petty thing and then something about boot licking I think some people literally have it the wrong way and overthink things. There are things to get worked up over and this isn't one of them. That was certainly the overreaction and they'll give you a bombing it's all pretty stupid and Petty

Mortisfacio

Anyone that supports any day Cyberpunk 2077 is no friend of mine.

My favorite part about CyberPunk was not knowing it was a "Bad game" until I finished it and went to gaming forums/subreddits. I beat the whole thing (PC) with only 3 bugs. 2 physics (floating car and the ending sequence had a nomad glitch through my car) and 1 quest bug (a side gig I needed to loot a container, but I already did and didn't get credit). Then I saw how bad it was on last gen consoles.

feynoob

Yes and the gentleman that made the thread even is worth it about it. Meanwhile you go outside of this stupid internet and nobody gives a damn. I saw some people just want to overreact and talk about their little thing as if our lives depend on it. And never even seen such an old reaction over such a petty thing and then something about boot licking I think some people literally have it the wrong way and overthink things. There are things to get worked up over and this isn't one of them. That was certainly the overreaction and they'll give you a bombing it's all pretty stupid and Petty
Dude, people spend their hard working money on these games. What the hell do you want them do?

bender

What time is it?
My favorite part about CyberPunk was not knowing it was a "Bad game" until I finished it and went to gaming forums/subreddits. I beat the whole thing (PC) with only 3 bugs. 2 physics (floating car and the ending sequence had a nomad glitch through my car) and 1 quest bug (a side gig I needed to loot a container, but I already did and didn't get credit). Then I saw how bad it was on last gen consoles.

Sony ended up pulling from PSN. I guess this is a full circle moment with Helldivers 2.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you think Sony is trying to social engineer people by getting an email and name for a psn login I mean wow. You desperately need to touch grass and go outside. Work for a real company. Attend some meetings. Move up. There is no man behind the curtain your take is entirely absurd.

Oh man. If you had any idea of the people I’ve had to work for, and in what capacity, you’d realise that this post is so much more cringeworthy even than it appears 😂

If you genuinely think millions aren’t spent on the psychology of marketing by businesses every week, then you‘re definitely the one with no experience of the corporate world.

Last edited:

feynoob

Oh man. If you had any idea of the people I’ve had to work for, and in what capacity, you’d realise that this post is so much more cringeworthy even than it appears 😂

If you genuinely think millions aren’t spent on the psychology of marketing by businesses every week, then you‘re definitely the one with no experience of the corporate world.
Companies hire physiological professional in order to get people addicted to gaming. That is how bad it is.

SHA

It's the domain of amateurs, same thing with kids, don't you like them? , they're energetic, it doesn't matter the context or the cause as long as they keep kicking.

ProtoByte

Using the HD2 situation as a thunderhead for this topic is weird.
Sorry, I just don't think it mattered that much. Sony clearly rolled this out incorrectly - that is, not from the start; but the response was an overreaction. That said, they capitulated. Whoopty.

I don't think it's worthy of much respect or that PC gamers are more stauch defenders of consumer friendliness or whatever. While they whine about sign-ins, they let MTX, battle passes, live service and early access nonsense go scot free. And I know which has a bigger and worse effect on the industry.

SHA

They don’t care about you. None of them do. They just want your money. You owe them no allegiance. You owe them nothing. Don’t be manipulated by people encouraging you to side with one corporation over another. You’re falling for some very basic marketing psychology. You’re a mark. And not a smart one.
What's wrong with being a monster like them? stop playing the innocent, life isn't fair, don't bite objectively, use your head instead, cause it's a 100 times more dangerous than your hands and it could go way up as wild as you could ever imagine.

I'm at a spot in my gaming life where it no longer makes sense to cling to name brands and instead just like the good stuff they give me and ignore everything else as opposed to hating them for not catering to what I like. I think the only players who still do that are single-system owners who feel threatened when companies go against their wishes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Maybe so, but you cannot deny there sometimes are reasons to be critical of our fellow gamers

Our shared enjoyment of videogames doesn't mean we are all the same in terms of outlook and life experience! So us all disagreeing on things is perfectly expected and normal.

Just because people disagree with you it doesn't make them "controlled opposition". C'mon man, not all of us care about the same things equally strongly or even judge things based on the same parameters.

Personally I'm sick and tired of causes, sides, and collectives. Can't we all just have our own cranky opinions?

Top Bottom