• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

The interview with the directer a couple weeks back talked about the classic monsters and It's shapeshifting. Quote from the article:

Don’t expect Pennywise to take the form of any pop culture icons. Instead, they wanted Pennywise to take on the form of “less tangible, more internal fears”.

Very excited for this movie. Besides the first teaser and that picture from empire, I haven't watched anything.

Plus I barely remember the miniseries so I'm basically going in blind here.

I never go see horror movies in theaters so this is new for me.

F!ReW!Re

The IT mini-series stinks.

I rewatched it like a year ago and apart from Tim Curry cheesing it up and seeming to have a good time, the rest kinda sucks.
I think the only thing that properly gave me goosebumps (but that also happened when I read the book) is when the girl can hear voices coming from the drainage pipes/sink.
That always creeps me out for some reason.

It's like the scene was ripped from the page...

Not really. Not that that's a bad thing. But, there is a pretty big difference in the dialogue (notably not introducing himself as Bob Gray). And Pennywise is holding a bunch of different colored balloons in the book. No big deal, but, it's not really ripped from the pages. Granted, the clip seems edited down, presumably for the length of the preview. So, who knows how the dialogue will actually go. I do miss the "very wise indeed!" line.

jonezer4

Early in the book, at the part where
Eddie gets his head ripped off by the Creature from the Black Lagoon

Since this version is set in the 80s, I wonder
what/if forms they'll have in the movie. Will they just be generic creatures and forms, or stuff like Exorcist's Regan, Cujo, things from Poltergeist, etc.

Spoilers from Fukunaga's script:

I remember in early interviews the filmmakers stated they were going to focus solely on the clown and indeed, that's all I remember being in Fukunaga's script. Obviously there was some rewrites after he left, but the fact that he still got a credit makes me think they didn't stray too far.

Not really. Not that that's a bad thing. But, there is a pretty big difference in the dialogue (notably not introducing himself as Bob Gray). And Pennywise is holding a bunch of different colored balloons in the book. No big deal, but, it's not really ripped from the pages. Granted, the clip seems edited down, presumably for the length of the preview. So, who knows how the dialogue will actually go. I do miss the "very wise indeed!" line.
I don't think anyone is expecting a literal line-for-line adaptation. I mean in the sense of it being exactly how I imagined it as I read that part in the book (like a month ago). It's perfect, they even got the dialogue and those other details right

I remember in early interviews the filmmakers stated they were going to focus solely on the clown and indeed, that's all I remember being in Fukunaga's script. Obviously there was some rewrites after he left, but the fact that he still got a credit makes me think they didn't stray too far.

I can't remember what the source was for the recent set of interviews with the Muschietti's, but actually they mentioned that one of the biggest changes from the Fukunaga script was re-introducing the shapeshifting element of It.

While there were things I didn't care for in Fukunaga's script, the only thing I absolutely LOVED...
was that the fire at the Black Spot and the Silver Dollar massacre were included as scenes to be filmed.

HiiiLife

Off topic but how did people react when they found out Heath was gonna be Joker? Or when images started surfacing?

Can't help but imagine the backlash and doubt would be similar to Tim Curry / Jack Nicholson.

That preview was awesome.

While there were things I didn't care for in Fukunaga's script, the only thing I absolutely LOVED...
was that the fire at the Black Spot and the Silver Dollar massacre were included as scenes to be filmed.
I am guessing one will be included in this version too, based on the trailer. At minimum, we see
all the burnt hands of victims trying to get out of a shut door/building. I am guessing that is the Black Spot.

A gracious soul shared the clip with me. I was really hoping they took out Georgie thunking his head like a moron. As for Pennywise...well...that was a weird scene. He had some deliveries I thought were awful, and others I really liked. Bounced back-and-forth a few times in the scene. I'm excited to see this either way next month.

In regards to the Black Spot, etc., info from a recent interview with the Muschiettis stated that
while the history of It and Derry will be alluded to during this movie, don't expect any screen time for the Black Spot Massacre, IT's arrival on earth, etc. This is still stuff they want to explore in the future, though. In particular, they mentioned that the Black Spot Massacre would make a great opening for the 2nd film.

We were talking about that specific comparison earlier in the thread.

And I'm feeling like just based off this clip alone, we're absolutely in Ledger territory here.
I was really iffy on the look in those first promo pics and in the first trailer/teaser

But based on the TV spots, the recent pictures, and now that clip...this is Pennywise.

Top Bottom