• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian site has (unofficial) hands-on with Android 4.4 Kitkat and Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Edit:

Original link. Translated text below.

Credit goes to:

Exclusive Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat Impresisons

Get ready to click your translation button.

How anticipate in our previous exclusive, we came into possession of even more images on the Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat , however, that this time will show how the user interface of the new version of Android . Before we begin, we would like to reiterate once again the concept has already been stated in the previous article, namely that the build currently on board the 5 Nexus (Nexus 4, 2013) is not definitive and, therefore, at the time of deployment of something may change.

We start the aesthetics of the smartphone, which unfortunately we can show only a picture is not very detailed and well understand why. The design of the device is confirmed to be that of previous rumor, so slightly more "square" , but with the back rubber. Confirmed speaker for calls up in the middle.

Lockscreen Android 4.4 KitKat

Now we move on to something more interesting, and that is the lockscreen . From here you can already see the first news that Google will introduce the new version of Android, starting from the top of the screen. As we see, not only are the white icons in the notification bar , but the same notification bar is transparent and nuanced on black only towards the end.

Moving on to the screen lockscreen itself, we note that there is something different than before. While the center circle for the release remained the same, there has been the introduction of the camera icon in the lower right corner , as you can see from the image. Selecting the icon and dragging it to the left will launch the Camera application. The latter, however, may also be launched simply carrying out a swype to the left from the lock screen screen, as is done by Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. The following image shows what we just said.

Launcher

Another important innovation for the new launcher of Android. As we can see, the icon for the App Drawer (application drawer) is now no longer the white border outside but a transparent fill . In addition, there is no longer the horizontal line that is instead of Android 4.0 ICS that divides the quick launch applications from the rest of the elements of the homescreen. In the picture you see below, there are only two quick-start applications (Phone and Camera), and it can be seen especially that of the Phone icon present much more in style "flat." As we see, also, is not only the notification bar to be transparent but also the navigation bar , that is the one that contains the navigation buttons located on the bottom of the system (very in style Moto X).

From the image would seem to be 6 homescreen , but please note that there would be no fixed number of homescreen. When you first start should there be few, not 5 as usual we are accustomed, while the other should be added by hand with the placement of new widgets or applications . In practice, to create a new homescreen, select a widget or an application icon and drag along the edges of the device.

App Drawer (application drawer)

Profoundly modified the application drawer, or the App Drawer to use a more specific language. We no longer have the black background while I browse the application but a kind of transparency very pleasant. The icons are of larger size than the current ones and everything is on full display. For we can do the words "Applications" and "Widget" , while it remains unchanged flip through the effect of "cards" of the app drawer, just as right now. Note, also, that on the Nexus 5 (Nexus 4 2013) the grid of icons of the app drawer is 5 × 4 and should be the same even in the homescreen.

Android 4.4 KitKat: impressions of Use and news

Thanks again to our informant, we can tell you what are the impressions of using the 5 Nexus (Nexus 4, 2013) and we can give you some exclusive information. We've included his words.

Google Now and Search

Now Google is much more responsive. Just simply say "Ok Google" within Google Now to make a new search. Now Google is accessible in two ways: the first is the classic swype upward from the navigation bar, the second is through one swype to left starting with the last homescreen left.
Google Search, instead, you can start by saying "Ok Google" directly from the homescreen.
As we see, then, Android 4.4 KitKat should always be in mode "always listening" , just like the Moto X, and the function may be extended to other languages ​​besides English.

Google hangouts

Google Hangouts has settings that affect the sending and receiving of SMS , but our informant could not test this feature. So there is a high possibility that Google Hangouts with Android 4.4 KitKat allows us to send and receive messages even when you do not have a network connection.

Display, color and boot animation

One thing I've noticed is the screen really bright, vivid colors.
This we see ourselves as in the figures a little higher. Colors of the display are really very beautiful and the display is very bright in general . Also confirmed the new bootanimation, at least for now: should be the same as that of the devices on board Google Edition (Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One).

Speed and Smooth

In addition to being much lighter in weight, it is also much faster than the Nexus 4.
Snapdragon 800 and 2 GB of RAM give you the best with Android 4.4 KitKat. Despite the build still suffers of some bug, is nevertheless fast and Smoothly .
Android 4.4 KitKat, in any case, it seems to be a version of Android much lightened, and this definitely helps performance.

Audio

The audio quality is good, the volume is more or less like that of the Nexus 4, maybe slightly higher. The dual speaker seems to give a good feeling, not like HTC One but something similar.
Acknowledged, then, the two stereo speakers that are located on the bottom edge of the smartphone and the very good audio quality.

Unfortunately we could not provide details on battery life as there are too many elements that come into play and that does not give us a good idea of ​​how tough a single charge.

Camera

There seems to be an image stabilization system, which helps a lot when we hand shaking during shooting. I do not know if it is an optical image stabilization (OIS in this case) or digital. The fact is that it works very well. The quality should not differ from that of the Nexus 4 so blatantly.
Our informant confirms the excellent image stabilization , which as we know is optical.

Therefore, the height of your current thoughts, are you satisfied with Android 4.4 and Nexus KitKat 5 (Nexus 4, 2013)? Of course stay glued on TuttoAndroid as soon as we have more information I will provide the good time. We remind you that you can also follow us on social on: Facebook , Twitter and Google Plus .

4dcMcEV.jpg

IbWuMqT.jpg

B70QoVP.jpg

ZPBIiIp.jpg

Day 1 for me :) Looking forward to it.

Loved everything about the N4 except the glass back and the camera's awful focusing.

Somnid

True to its name it sounds like this point revision is all marketing. Make people feel like they need to be on "latest."

gutshot

Most of it sounds like it's cosmetic changes from that description.

True to its name it sounds like this point revision is all marketing. Make people feel like they need to be on "latest."

These are leaked screenshots. Of course the main differences we will notice are cosmetic. Let's wait until the official announcement, with the official changelog and feature list, before we completely write it off.

These are leaked screenshots. Of course the main differences we will notice are cosmetic. Let's wait until the official announcement, with the official changelog and feature list, before we completely write it off.

Sure there might be more stuff, but come on, that wasn't just a picture release. That was a hands on impression article and most of the stuff described was cosmetic.

Looks good, but the updated Kit Kat stuff sounds boring. Not what I was expecting at all.

I'm looking for improvements to Contacts, Dialer, Message, Email, Keyboard, etc. Core functions.

gutshot

Sure there might be more stuff, but come on, that wasn't just a picture release. That was a hands on impression article and most of the stuff described was cosmetic.

Ok, but it wasn't a very comprehensive hands-on. All I'm saying is we should wait for the official release before accusing 4.4 of being nothing but a cosmetic update. Not to mention, Android was in need of a cosmetic update and this one looks pretty nice so far.

Orayn

I would have thought that any visual changes would be in the direction the white/gray color scheme of "Holo Light," but it's interesting that they're focusing more on transparencies.

This is going to be my next phone from the Nexus 4 however I'm wary of the camera. It has good image optimization but the quality hasn't changed much? Then what was the point... Seems like the camera is still yet an area Google hasn't improved. I never take pictures because I don't want to filter my pictures for it to look good. That's the most disappointing thing of the whole phone but everything sounds amazing. I can't wait!!

TxdoHawk

People would complain, but now that SMS integration is confirmed, I wish they'd make Hangouts the default messaging app.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Most of it sounds like it's cosmetic changes from that description.

As long as there is SMS integration, I don't mind that the update is mostly cosmetic. But keep in mind, this isn't the final build and there might be other features that Google will reveal. Hopefully next week Tuesday.

Edit- Here you go Snowman. It is also stated in the OP.

How does Hangouts handle GIFs? Will I be able to have GIFs inline when messaging other Hangouts users?

And does everyone have to use G+ or will it just need a regular Google acct?

I was jealous of iOS' iMessage, and even BBM, because they were just so far ahead of Android's SMS integration. Although it has weaknesses in other areas, this could reignite my faith in Google making Android a great OS

Groof

How does Hangouts handle GIFs? Will I be able to have GIFs inline when messaging other Hangouts users?

And does everyone have to use G+ or will it just need a regular Google acct?

I was jealous of iOS' iMessage, and even BBM, because they were just so far ahead of Android's SMS integration. Although it has weaknesses in other areas, this could reignite my faith in Google making Android a great OS

I think if you want to send photos and the likes you need to have a G+ account. Normal messages don't.

Somnid

I suppose but these are getting closer to Chrome updates. The fact that Google is holding back to exclusively release with their new hardware product means they're treating them as as marketing tool even if the real user benefit is low. It's all about that version number.

SimleuqiR

Where can I read more on this?

That sounds absolutely.... Awesome.

As long as it doesn't require G+

Unfortunately for those who hate G+, you need to have a G+ account to be able to send pictures through Hangouts. All the images you send through it get collected into a G+ Picture Album that only you and the people in your convo can see.

Now, sending pictures through MMS via Hangouts might not require a G+ account.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Verge posted a round up of all the rumors.

FCC filings for what we believe to be the Nexus 5 reveal support for a host of LTE bands. Customers on AT&T, T-Mobile, and even Sprint can expect 4G connectivity. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for those of you on Verizon — a carrier which has something of a tenuous relationship with Google.

Verizon users missing out again.

Proud to be Italian in the world of technology for once.
Can't wait to get my hands on this baby.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom