• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Been One Week Since My Steam Account Got Hacked, And Valve Has Done Nothing

denshuu

Doesn't Windows give you a warning when you're about to launch a program? Every time I run an executable, Windows 7 is like "Hey, this isn't a picture or a song or anything, it's actually an executable. Are you sure you want to run it? Are you positive? Do you need a minute to think it over? This could change your life."

Beardz

You know what sucks? When you block the user who is sending those messages, you still get the notifications that someone sent you a message. The fuck?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So you remember how I had all my shit traded away to some asshole a bit back, and how Steam responded that they would restore all my stuff as a "one time courtesy"?

That was on December 19th. They said if the items don't show up in my inventory within 48 hours, I need to write them back.

I wrote them back on the 22nd. They responded again today (27th):

As of this writing, only two cards have been restored to my inventory, one from Tomb Raider and one from Spelunky. I haven't played either of those games in a while.

Does this mean my inventory is slowly coming back? Should I start to panic here? I've been pretty patient with Valve but if this is all I'm getting back, well....

Have you tried running TF2 since receiving the message that the items were restored? They may be considered new and therefore won't appear in your Steam Community inventory until you unpack them by running the game, but again this is just a guess on my part.

Doesn't Windows give you a warning when you're about to launch a program? Every time I run an executable, Windows 7 is like "Hey, this isn't a picture or a song or anything, it's actually an executable. Are you sure you want to run it? Are you positive? Do you need a minute to think it over? This could change your life."

Not if he ticked 'don't show me this again' at some point.

SOLDIER

Have you tried running TF2 since receiving the message that the items were restored? They may be considered new and therefore won't appear in your Steam Community inventory until you unpack them by running the game, but again this is just a guess on my part.

This actually worked. Thank you so much.

Still haven't gotten my cards back, but it's a small loss compared to Bill's Hat.

Haunted

Woah wait, just clicking the link is enough to lose everything? Not even a login is necessary?
I was kinda shocked and scared if this were the case.

Not quite ...

rGrGkHu.png

7wXyCK0.png

bqSfSOi.png

... and so on.
But this alleviated my fears.

That said, still sucks for the OP and you'd hope Valve could do something there.

edit: they did! that's good.

Chucker

People talk about MS or Sony having bad CS, but they're angels from heaven compared to the people at Valve/Steam. I had a ticket for something small, and basically had to wait a week to get a reply that more or less came down to "Too Bad".

Good luck, though.

The Boat

Valve treats their customers like shit. It's a big part of why I'm always a bit irked when people praise Valve to high heaven.

Sanjay

Did you have Steam Guard enabled?

Any update on this yet? did the OP have it on?

It is a windows exploit. After the .scr file runs it downloads malware in the background and infects your computer.

It infects your computer, but how does it take control of his Steam?

I tried flicking through this whole thread but could not really find out how he lost his hats and if it goes through Steam Guard.

Ok getting more info from reading this:-

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/250771-steam-hacked/page-3#entry3438693

So the malware does not infect the system or steal your steam password. It does something via trading where it uses cookies/session ID to auto trade and give all your items away is what I'm understand from reading that post if true.

Ok this is really bad. Valve fucking fix this.

Cynar

Yes. OP made a lot of poor choices regarding this hack.

After dealing with Nissan, Sony, and Fed Ex customer service within the past two months, I've started to imagine that all of their customer service reps are outsourced by some secret company. No matter the company, no matter the question, I swear I get the same answer and it never had to do with the actual question I asked.

Somewhere in the world is all of the world's first-tier customer service reps in one giant room about the size of a small state. They have a cash-register style keyboard that they push a button based on the key words present in the email or provided to them via phone. They push the button and read their automated response. They hang up/send the email, then do the same for a completely different company.

One-Shot

Banned
I've gotten that message before. Didn't click it assuming it was something like this. You just have to be smart and spot the obvious.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Sorry that you lost your stuff...but why In gods name, would you click on a link from someone that claimed they took a pic of you while playing....realize it's not in the format of normal img files (jpeg png gif tiff....ie)....then open it?

The Boat

Classics and ridiculous sales.

Their Customer Service definitely sucks though.
Oh trust me I know, I just think people turn a blind eye to so many things in all their Gaben worshipping.
I love the HL, Portal and L4D series, their horizontal structure is refreshing and Steam is great for reviving PC gaming and shaking up the pricing (although I think these ridiculous sales might be detrimental to the industry in the long run), but I can't ignore that their CS is atrocious, that the Steam client is ridiculously bad and that a lot of times it seems they're more interested in becoming this huge mega company that does everything but games.

I don't mean this as a black and white statement as there's a lot of merit in trying to create a cohesive environment with big picture, steam controllers, steam machines, gift cards, items and whatnot and releasing games only when they're done is great, but I just can't shake these rocks off my shoe when thinking about Valve's future.

Hedja

Sorry that you lost your stuff...but why In gods name, would you click on a link from someone that claimed they took a pic of you while playing....realize it's not in the format of normal img files (jpeg png gif tiff....ie)....then open it?

Mistakes happen, people don't know when something's not right if they don't know what they should be looking out for. It's a common issue when you're the single largest online service provider in the field. Plenty of companies know how to deal with it, Valve not being one of them. Their customer support is still stuck in the early 2000s and without any real competition with most games providing Steam product codes regardless of where you purchase, they seem happy to leave it like that since it's not going to help them get more money.

Jebusman

Banned
Next time, just email Gabe Newell.

And I'm only half joking.

Me and my roommate used to email him all the time, just about weird shit we saw with the Steam Client. He would usually respond or just go "Huh. Doug?" and forward off the email to Doug Lombardi or somebody to get an answer. It was surprisingly effective.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Fuck, two of my friends just fell for this. Trying to give them advice right now.

My friend got his account hacked and contacted Steam a few months back.I think it took like 3 weeks before he actually managed to get his account back.

Sucks

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was not aware of that. Thanks.

Yup, it's how it spreads. I had read this topic a few days ago, then got a message like that from a friend today and I realized he must of clicked and downloaded it, I told him over Skype, and then later another friend asked my friend why they sent her an infected file, and later I got a message from her and just... Baaah. they'll likely get their account and stuff back, but just a nuisance.

Kunan

Yep, Steam's Support sucks. It's excruciatingly slow and it seems like they only have 2 people working in that department.

Someone got my details to my Origin account and purchased Fifa and a bunch of dlc on it (with my card). Within minutes of noticing and filing a support ticket, I had a very nice lady call me who knew what was going on and had it sorted in minutes. No exaggeration.
Same thing happened to me. FIFA, FC4 and ACU. I went to the online help and they immediately talked to me and resolved the situation. Really top class; reminded me of Amazon.

Kyougar

After dealing with Nissan, Sony, and Fed Ex customer service within the past two months, I've started to imagine that all of their customer service reps are outsourced by some secret company. No matter the company, no matter the question, I swear I get the same answer and it never had to do with the actual question I asked.

Somewhere in the world is all of the world's first-tier customer service reps in one giant room about the size of a small state. They have a cash-register style keyboard that they push a button based on the key words present in the email or provided to them via phone. They push the button and read their automated response. They hang up/send the email, then do the same for a completely different company.

The market for global Customer support for international Companies is devided by several big Call Center Companys. (I myself work in one)
It depends on the Company how the Call Center treats its customer. The only differentiator is, hat goal the Company sets for handling Customer. The biggest are Volume, Quality/Satisfaction and Sales.
A contract that has a Volume Goal will bombard you with block text answers that can not be altered by the agent in any way. Happyness of the customer is not a priority.
Quality/Satisfaction is where you get more personalized but still have Blocktexts, but mostly individual Blocktext that works for the specific agent. In this model you can work with the customer the way you want, only thing that matters is his survey at the end.
Sales is fucking awfull, you have to be up in the Ar*** of the customer all the time.

edit:
But Valve could gain much when they let customer support be handled by Professionals

whome0

Interesting. External app looks for steamclient.dll process, takes a process handle, reads destination process memory in a loop, search for Steam cookie string, reads current SessionID from cookie, submits http requests(json) to transfer specific items from victim's inventory to destination user. /done

How can an external process read that easy(ReadProcessMemory) any destination process area? Do this need specific conditions or any userlevel app can read any other userlevel memory?

Works for WinXP/7/8, no admin privileges or UAC elevation is needed for malware process? What is PROCESS_VM_READ flag about, is it source or destination process requirement before readProcessMem() works?

Why don't Steam use any non-persistent hashsalt+encrypted param in http requests so cleartext http requests did not work that easily. Malware should do more work to steal hidden salt or encryption key that is changed on every session or more often.

I am trying to understand why most people in this thread are shitting on Valve. Valve did not make the poor choices the OP did. I mean yeah, Valve has shit CS sure but how are you guys jumping on Valve for very bad choices that they did not make? If you have been using the internet for more than a year or 3 you should know better then to click on a random link and then click more links. I always tell my steam friends that i will not be clicking on their links and this was before even phishing attempts became common on Steam.

EDIT: And apparently Malwarebytes detects this now as well, so....i just say use some common sense and use anti-virus plus Malwarebytes.

kswiston

I am trying to understand why most people in this thread are shitting on Valve. Valve did not make the poor choices the OP did. I mean yeah, Valve has shit CS sure but how are you guys jumping on Valve for very bad choices that they did not make? If you have been using the internet for more than a year or 3 you should know better then to click on a random link and then click more links. I always tell my steam friends that i will not be clicking on their links and this was before even phishing attempts became common on Steam.

EDIT: And apparently Malwarebytes detects this now as well, so....i just say use some common sense and use anti-virus plus Malwarebytes.

Valve is a multi-billion dollar company with a majority share of the PC market, but their customer service is worse than sites that are 50x smaller like Gamersgate.

Valve is a multi-billion dollar company with a majority share of the PC market, but their customer service is worse than sites that are 50x smaller like Gamersgate.

But what does that have to with the OP making the bad choices? Does he not get held accountable or is this all Valves fault somehow? Seriously, do people blame Gmail,Hotmail and Yahoo when they click on a spam email and then click on the link inside that infects your pc and probably steals all your info and turns your pc into a zombie?

Carlius

Banned
its happened ot me, in less than a week i got it back. i had written down all my cd keys and took screenshots of all my receipts. you make it easy for them and they do it fast. give them all the information necessary and thats it.

But what does that have to with the OP making the bad choices? Does he not get held accountable or is this all Valves fault somehow? Seriously, do people blame Gmail,Hotmail and Yahoo when they click on a spam email and then click on the link inside that infects your pc and probably steals all your info and turns your pc into a zombie?
Even though he made an error it doesn't take away from the fact that the steam customer service was appalling. It isn't all Valve's fault, but they did a fucking lousy job WRT fixing it.

fantomena

My second Steam account was also hacked years ago. Luckily I only had 1 purchased game on it (CS Source, but I was still pissed). Support just kept talking about stuff that had no relation to the hacking for weeks, so I gave up.

This is the account btw. steamcommunity.com/id/fantomena

I got 3 eMails from Steam support a few days ago all 1 minute apart...idk I think someone tried to log into my profile.

Hmm...I think I should change my password just to be save.

PaNaMa

Banned

Are you serious?

There is some degree of onus on all computer users to protect themselves, yes.
But this person is innocent of any intentional wrong doing. Please elaborate on how you'd like him held accountable. What would you like see done to him for making an mistake? He already can't play any of his hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of games, which were stolen from him. He's already ashamed of being taken by a scammer. And he's already infuriated by the compete lack of assistance he's received from the company he (we all) adore so much.

Are you suggesting some other penalty or punishment be inflicted to further hold him accountable? If so, what?

And he's not blaming Valve for his mistake. At least that's not how I read it. He's upset that Valve is dragging their feet with gusts to just not caring. He's pointing out their customer service is awful.

I remember I bought for a horizon 2 three times accidentally on the Xbox one.

After a 20 minute conversation I was reimbursed with two of the purchases. It was amazing service.

I bought borderlands on pc a few years ago and bought what I thought was the game and all the dlc... Turned out to be the game four times for you and friends. Discussed with them I bought the wrong one but I'm the end I was told it was not their fault. Which is correct but it wasn't a great service.

Red

You can't blame the victim.

dsk1210

Steams customer service I have never needed to use in 6/7 years of using the service.

I tend to pay attention to what I am doing, I suggest you do the same. Use your common sense.

Top Bottom