• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's rather unfortunate how streaming games has become a beggar's paradise...

weevles

As long as money is involved, we'll see it. There's still good stuff in there, so I don't it's necessarily the worst and there are a few streams that I think do deserve a sub or donation.

Apathy

As long as money is involved, we'll see it. There's still good stuff in there, so I don't it's necessarily the worst and there are a few streams that I think do deserve a sub or donation.

Oh I agree with this fully. Issue becomes when the loud obnoxious personality sells like crazy and gets popular and makes more money, good streamers might get tempted to start doing similar things to also get popularity and in turn get more money (stuff I have seen). And I mean that's all well and good, people are making their money how they want, even if it means become like someone else than having their own voice. It's the reason I at least sub to Sp00ky, that guy has not changed, and I don't see him putting up crazy sound effects and having some dumb catchphrase ever time someone subs.

Nzyme32

I don't follow or donate to anyone that makes the donations the primary and most front facing part of their streaming / entertaining. It works pretty well from my perspective since having to shout out donations and sideline the actual content is both boring and infuriating to watch

I also don't like it when the player themselves is no good at the game and has a no hints/tips/advice rule. It makes it is as appealing as a blind let's play. Sometimes it is fun to watch a player act like a headless chicken but the appeal wears off really quickly as I'd rather spend my time with someone who does know what they are doing.

The best example is when Twitch plays Pokemon came back, donations took up a chunk of the screen and obscured gameplay a bit.
Don't forget the sound it initially made and was turned off due to being so annoying.

That stream layout was fairly terrible. I've got loads of empty space but have to stick the donation messages on top of the game screen.

Dreavus

I think you would be better off looking for the smaller streams and communities and sticking with that. I get it if you're annoyed that a streamer you used to enjoy switched over to this more "active" style of promotion, but otherwise, why does it matter? If people want to throw their money at a streamer who is putting on spectacle whenever a sub happens, we can't really do anything about it. That's their choice. The most we can do is not support it.

And this notion that streamers shouldn't get paid for what they're doing – when viewers are gladly handing over money via subs and donations and enjoying what's being played – it just comes across as some serious sour grapes.

E92 M3

I think you would be better off looking for the smaller streams and communities and sticking with that. I get it if you're annoyed that a streamer you used to enjoy switched over to this more "active" style of promotion, but otherwise, why does it matter? If people want to throw their money at a streamer who is putting on spectacle whenever a sub happens, we can't really do anything about it. That's their choice. The most we can do is not support it.

And this notion that streamers shouldn't get paid for what they're doing – when viewers are gladly handing over money via subs and donations and enjoying what's being played – it just comes across as some serious sour grapes.

This must be my 6th time mentioning this, but I don't care about streamers making money. What's annoying is the blatant begging. A good entertainer doesn't beg for money.

MCN

Banned
I'll be streaming in October, and asking for donations, but it's for a charity and the donations will be via JustGiving.

I'm not a huge fan of streamers, especially asking for donations, but that may be because I'm an old-fashioned sort and I find watching other people play games to be terminally dull.

Wilsongt

Used to watch a streamer on twitch who read donations over $3 and they popped up on screen with a shitty sound bite. He got banned due to all of the racist trash his stream allowed.

Panthers

I plan on streaming games soon for fun but no overlay or silly gimmicks. Just gameplay. Gotta wait for my new pc though. I do hate all the begging and stupid overlays

I mainly use twitch to watch things like NCR/SCR, CEO, EVO, etc. Don't have to worry at all about that sub hype crap. I also enjoy pretty much all the commentators and matches so I have no complaints. Other channels I'm not so sure, if there is something pressing and important enough on a stream it usually gets uploaded to YouTube anyways. No reason in watching unless its some random streaming a game that they got early.

bengraven

I miss Justin.tv. Watched RDR for the first time there. Guy was getting the dastardly cheevo. Also, early Minecraft videos, before it became all Youtube over-edited bullshit with annoying kids trying to be funny.

El Sloth

Banned
If they are doing that, maybe they should think about getting a job.
Why the hell should they get a "proper" 9-5 when they can make just as much if not more turning their hobby into a reliable money making thing? I'd never bother doing something like this, but I respect the hustle. People should get off their backs and just ignore 'em if they don't like it. Like I do!

Cipherr

Is Kripp still the biggest streamer on twitch? He had like 500k followers and you never see donation/subscription popups.

Kripp steams the correct way.

Even Kripp announces every sub every stream these days with the 'brofist' shit. And has admitted that he makes far more subs since he started doing it (it initially started as a joke; a bit of a poke at other streamers).

God this is so perfect.

Trick_GSF

Banned
I love watching speedrunners, I find their commitment awe inspiring at times. Other than that, I only go to twitch to watch Jeff Green. Bollocks to the rest, though if they're making a good living doing it, I'm not going to shit on them for that, still I can agree the sounds, popups and emotes can be anxious.

KyleCross

I've been streaming on and off of Twitch since it first started (started watching in the JTV days) and only now starting to stream regular. I definitely don't like the way things have turned, with huge clutterfilled overlays and notifications and all that shit.

But above all else what I dislike most about Twitch is it is no longer about the community. I miss when it was all about interacting with the viewers, just having a chill time playing a video game with other laid back people watching, everyone sending people off to other channels when they're done streaming to help them out and keep the community close... this is still alive on Twitch but is sadly a small minority now.

All of us who still embrace that side should definitely come together, be cool if we had a thread for it (we may, I don't know).

E92 M3

I've been streaming on and off of Twitch since it first started (started watching in the JTV days) and only now starting to stream regular. I definitely don't like the way things have turned, with huge clutterfilled overlays and notifications and all that shit.

But above all else what I dislike most about Twitch is it is no longer about the community. I miss when it was all about interacting with the viewers, just having a chill time playing a video game with other laid back people watching, everyone sending people off to other channels when they're done streaming to help them out and keep the community close... this is still alive on Twitch but is sadly a small minority now.

All of us who still embrace that side should definitely come together, be cool if we had a thread for it (we may, I don't know).

Yes, that used to be very common on JTV.

Why on earth do ppl donate, why give someone your money when you don't have to?
I find it utterly bizarre ppl will give their favorite steamers 10 or 20 bucks,give it charity instead, but i guess you don't get a soundbite and your name pop up on screen for that

Seiru

Banned
It's as much of a job as being a panhandler is a job.

Yeah, it's so easy! You just have to open a Twitch stream and all the sudden you're magically making enough to support yourself! It has nothing to do with how charismatic, entertaining, and skilled you are at the game you're playing.

These fucking threads, man.

SummitAve

Banned
It's as much of a job as being a panhandler is a job.

Nah, being a panhandler is way more secure of a job, and doesn't completely rely on third party software to funnel money into your pocket. They also don't need to rely on other people's intellectual property to make money unless your talking about those fucking super hero costume fools. There is very little independence for twitch streamers, and I'm not sure where they got the arrogance as if they were.

Yeah, it's so easy! You just have to open a Twitch stream and all the sudden you're magically making enough to support yourself! It has nothing to do with how charismatic, entertaining, and skilled you are at the game you're playing.

These fucking threads, man.

I didn't say it was easy. I said it was like panhandling. Some beggars on the street work very hard to be entertaining and earn their money, but it's still not a real job. The big difference is, I generally have more respect for people begging in the street. Twitch streamers who expect to get money are entitled babies. I wish that they would shut down the monetization completely.

Nah, being a panhandler is way more secure of a job, and doesn't completely rely on third party software to funnel money into your pocket.
:) Very true.

Ferrio

Banned
I find it utterly bizarre ppl will give their favorite steamers 10 or 20 bucks,give it charity instead, but i guess you don't get a soundbite and your name pop up on screen for that

Why ever pay for anything when we could all be giving it to charity? Why even buy games?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Twitch streamers who expect to get money are entitled babies. I wish that they would shut down the monetization completely.

Ironic or not, this is one of the least mature statements you could have made.

Bacon

I didn't say it was easy. I said it was like panhandling. Some beggars on the street work very hard to be entertaining and earn their money, but it's still not a real job. The big difference is, I generally have more respect for people begging in the street. Twitch streamers who expect to get money are entitled babies. I wish that they would shut down the monetization completely.

:) Very true.

unreal

I watch speedrunners mostly as I love watching retro games and people who play them well.

I don't see anything wrong with someone streaming who is entertaining and trying to monetize. If I get to watch someone who is trying for a world record run, while chatting with other like minded gamers, then some pop ups for subscribers is not going to bother me. Some of those streamers will play for hours at a time. That's tons of entertainment for those watching. I want them to get paid for their streaming, otherwise they'd be at an office somewhere and not playing games.

Good streamers will thank subscribers but are mostly interested in playing whatever game they're involved in. I've actually never seen people beg but I don't got into the COD or 1,000 viewer daily streams. I usually go to the ones in the 50-300 viewers or less and you'll find a much better experience.

Hopeford

When you say "expect to get money" do you mean people who complain about not getting enough money, or people who have regular enough streams and subscriptions that that they can safely assume they'll get X amount of money every month?

Because the first one, sure. I can see your point. It's a bit weird seeing people complain that they haven't gained X amount of money yet. The second group though, I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Some people are entertained by streamers and they can't stream as often as they would like if they work a full-time job - so the people who are entertained by them go "Hey, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit to get to see more of this." Both sides win like that. So I don't think monetization should be shut down by any means.

eXistor

Watch Video Games Awesome! They pretty much do their own thing, have a normal chat and just play games using a setup that's probably 100 times better than the average streamer. They never beg for subs or donations, it's really quite refreshing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
"Hey, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit to get to see more of this." Both sides win like that. So I don't think monetization should be shut down by any means.

Not to mention it's entirely unrealistic. These things are making a lot of money. "Shutting down monetization" would mean all that money would just go to a faceless corporation rather than allow some lucky few to make a living doing something they like. Then there's the donations. You could make it more inconvenient and institute a ToS that forbids asking for them, but that still wouldn't stop people from donating through stuff like Patreon or out of their own accord.

The attitude of "I don't like this, so the people engaged in it shouldn't make any cash" is petty and childish.

It's nice to be able to watch people streaming and check out a game, and if you feel it benefits you, then you should probably donate. People take time and energy and take risks buying games so you don't have to. If that's worth a couple dollars to you, then donate. If you support a specific streamer, awesome. Unfortunately, there are many people who look at streaming as free entertainment, and because our society is so entitled we often overlook giving people a few dollars for providing a service or entertainment...because internet. Streamers have to make what they are doing financially feasible. I get that people may find it annoying to hear a ding when people donate or see the link, but if that bothers you so much, then maybe you shouldn't watch. Maybe there is a solution where if people donate on the regular they won't get the notifications/etc... but to people that "can't stand it" there is an easy solution: don't watch.

What is a 'real job', according to Arthr2ShdsJcksn?
Let me rephrase: Respectable job

Ironic or not, this is one of the least mature statements you could have made.

Unironic and I stand by it.

I don't care if anyone makes money from streaming. You found a niche and made some cash. Great. Even if you make a billion dollars, good for you.

Still, I refuse to, on a personal level, think of streaming as a respectable (my synonym for real) job, and I am not going to feel any level of guilt for never paying to watch such 'services'. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where some streamers were comparing people like me to pirates, to which I just laugh at. Unfortunately, too many streams are becoming, like the OP suggests, a begger's paradise, which is just gross. If anyone is immature, it's the self-entitled streamer.

What is a 'real job', according to Arthr2ShdsJcksn?

I'd say a real job is something that gives you benifits like health insurance and very very importantly a pension once you get old.
Also paid sick days etc
Oh and job security

And alternatively if you are self employed it should be in a sustainable business.
Being a streamer is anything but that, it's not a real job.
It's turning tricks for some pocket money, and giving up your dignity in the process.

If you're going to give up your dignity become a marketer or something, ya know.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Still, I refuse to, on a personal level, think of streaming as a respectable (my synonym for real) job, and I am not going to feel any level of guilt for never paying to watch such 'services'.

Not what this is about, but no one is forcing you to spend a dime on entertainment you don't enjoy.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where some streamers were comparing people like me to pirates, to which I just laugh at. Unfortunately, too many streams are becoming, like the OP suggests, a begger's paradise, which is just gross. If anyone is immature, it's the self-entitled streamer.

If I recall correctly, that statement was blown out of context and then it just took on a life of its own.

I'd say a real job is something that gives you benifits like health insurance and very very importantly a pension once you get old.
Also paid sick days etc
Oh and job security

Minus the job security, I'm fairly sure they can get all that if they register as self-employed. For some lucky few, they're earning way more than pocket money and if they're smart they can ride this wave out to easily set them up for later in life.

melchior_

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where some streamers were comparing people like me to pirates, to which I just laugh at. Unfortunately, too many streams are becoming, like the OP suggests, a begger's paradise, which is just gross. If anyone is immature, it's the self-entitled streamer.

As far as I'm aware it was just a single streamer that was likening lurkers to pirates. From what I've seen, most streamers don't share that sentiment.

Chinbo37

I never watched a stream before, closest I got was some lets plays on youtube if I was trying to figure out a section of a tough game.

pastrami

Also paid sick days etc
Oh and job security

And alternatively if you are self employed it should be in a sustainable business.
Being a streamer is anything but that, it's not a real job.
It's turning tricks for some pocket money, and giving up your dignity in the process.

If you're going to give up your dignity become a marketer or something, ya know.

Do you think comedians have real jobs?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

C'mon, son

Also paid sick days etc
Oh and job security

So a shitload of people working jobs right now don't have real jobs, is what you are saying.

I guess all these entertainers are beggars

Top Bottom