• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG!! How on earth did I miss this thread!!!!!?????!!!!!!! BEST.THREAD.EVER.

I'd like to contribute with a less famous scene that I just recently discovered as hilarious. It's from Summer of 4 ft 2. The slow way how Homer's face changes to a laugh when seeing Bart's "mystery date" is amazing. :lol :lol

2759Homer01.png

77188Homer02.png

64677Homer03.png

84807Homer04.png

10338Homer05.png

48893Homer06.png

The whole scene is amazing, btw.

"Hey, he looks just like you poindexter"
30009Homer07.png

24551Homer08.png

:lol

Homer: Moe, I need your advice.
Moe: Yeah?
Homer: See, I got this friend named... Joey Jo Jo... Junior... Shabadoo.
Moe: That's the worst name I ever heard.
Joey runs out of the bar sobbing
Barney: Hey! Joey Jo Jo!

Don't have any pictures, sorry :(

Pakkidis

One of the problems I've always had in the newer episodes, is that Homer stops being a father and becomes more like a friend to Bart. The relationship changed, Homer starts doing crazy stupid childish things with Bart and that was never his character.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Conan O' Brien was the best writer and had some of the best influence on the show.

Another great part from the episode I mentioned above, is the "running gag" with the fireworks.

First Homer lets the fireworks explode in the dishing washer, and dirty water comes out of it.
39229Fireworks1.png

Later on in the episode Marge is shrubbing the floor in the background
57909Fireworks2.png

And then the next morning :lol
4115Fireworks3.png

:lol :lol The funny thing is that this goes on in the background for just a few secs, so you hardly pay attention to it.

CiSTM

Banned
Pakkidis said:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Conan O' Brien was the best writer and had some of the best influence on the show.

Didn't Conan only write 4 episodes ? He produced several episodes but didn't write that many episodes.

CiSTM said:
Didn't Conan only write 4 episodes ? He produced several episodes but didn't write that many episodes.
Yes, his influence is overstated in every GAF old Simpsons discussion. He barely touched the show. I think it's just an example of people growing to love Conan over the years and then making a legend out of him once they found out he was on the Simpsons long ago.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i've read tons of speculation on what led to the precipitous downfall

but i stick to my theory (the only one that could explain the huge quick decline) that the show was secretly handed over to seth macfarlane starting with s9 and he continues to secretly run the show to this day (s8 was a transitional year, and macfarlane handled simpsons spin-off showcase, Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious, and a few other episodes that year to get his feet wet).

RagnarokX

Lisa: Look at the "wonders" of the computer age now.
Homer: Wonders Lisa? Or blunders?
Lisa: I think that was implied by what I said.
Homer: Implied... Or implode?

beelzebozo said:
episodes it was hard for me to neglect on my list that nonetheless deserve mention. there's so many it's almost not even worth making a list, and just saying, "every episode from seasons 1-5":

season 1
life on the fast lane ("it's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of canteloupe at the end"
bart the genius ("r-d-r-r!")
homer's night out

season 2
bart the murderer
simpson and delilah ("who dried your boss's hands? you did it, not the hair!")
bart the daredevil
bart vs. thanksgiving
the way we was
homer vs. lisa & the 8th commandment
blood feud

season 3
mr. lisa goes to washington
homer defined
saturdays of thunder
burns verkaufen der kraftwerk ("in lieu of new management, i regret to announce the following layoffs, in alphabetical order. simpson, homer. . . . that is all.")
radio bart
homer at the bat
black widower

season 4
kamp krusty
lisa the beauty queen
itchy and scratchy the movie
mr. plow
lisa's first word
marge vs. the monorail
duffless

season 5
rosebud
homer goes to college
homer loves flanders
burns' heir
sweet seymour skinner's badassss song ("i think today i shall try. . . bold.")
the boy who knew too much ("say chowda!")

season 6
bart of darkness
lisa on ice
homer bad-man
grandpa vs. sexual inadequacy (reverse vampires & the rand corporation, anyone?)
homer the great
bart's comet
homie the clown
lemon of troy
a star is burns

season 7
bart sells his soul
marge be not proud (love this one)

Good list, but lisa on ice, homer bad-man, grandpa vs. sexual inadequacy are all season 4 episodes... in fact they are all back to back on the dvds.

Myers: I have figured out how to rejuvenate the show. It's so simple, you egghead writers would've never thought of it! What we need is... a new character! One that today's kids can relate to!
Oakley: Are you absolutely sure that's wise, sir? I mean, I don't want to sound pretentious here, but Itchy and Scratchy comprise a dramaturgical dyad.
Krusty: Hey, this ain't art -- it's business! Whaddya got in mind? Sexy broad? Gangster octopus?
Myers: No, no. The animal chain of command goes mouse, cat, dog. D-O-G.
Weinstein: Uh, a dog? Isn't that a tad predictable?
Lady: In your dreams. We're talking the original dog from hell.
Oakley: You mean Cerberus?

Lady: We at the network want a dog with attitude. He's edgy, he's "in your face." You've heard the expression "let's get busy"? Well, this is a dog who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.
Krusty: So he's proactive, huh?
Lady: Oh, God, yes. We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.
Meyer: Excuse me, but "proactive" and "paradigm"? Aren't these just buzzwords that dumb people use to sound important? Not that I'm accusing you of anything like that. I'm fired, aren't I?
Myers: Oh, yes.

Tress MacNeille as the smarmy business woman is awesome.

"Call him uh, Poochie or something, I don't know. You think of something better."

(Myers leaves the room)

"so, is Poochie good for everyone?"

edit: from "Sideshow Bob Roberts"

Sideshow Bob: It's high time America realizes that we conservatives aren't all Johnny Hatemongers, or Charlie Bible-thumps, or, God forbid, George Bushes.

funny how this quote is more relevant today than it was ten years ago :lol

Grug

I have always loved the Treehouse of Horror episodes.

038.jpg

088.jpg

118.jpg

170.jpg

“We must move forward, not backward, upward not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.”

167.jpg

"Do you know of a better way to exchange long protein strands?

188.jpg

Kang:
Abortions for all.
[crowd boos]
Very well, no abortions for anyone.
[crowd boos]
Hmm... Abortions for some, miniature American flags for
others.
[crowd cheers and waves miniature flags]

:lol

Rorschach said:
2hgg2rn.jpg

Eddie: Do you hold a grudge against Montgomery Burns?
Moe: No!
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright, maybe I did, but I didn't shoot him.
*DING*
Eddie: Checks out. Okay, sir, you're free to go.
Moe: Good, 'cause I got a hot date tonight.
*BZZT*
Moe: A date.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner with a friend.
*BZZT*
Moe: Dinner alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Watching TV alone.
*BZZT*
Moe: Alright! I'm going to sit at home and ogle the ladies in the Victoria's Secret catalog.
*BZZT*
Moe:Sears catalog.
*DING*
Moe:Now would you unhook this already, please! I don't deserve this kind of shabby treatment!
*BZZT*

2wf6d74.jpg

Scully: This is a simple lie detector. I'll ask you a few "yes or no" questions and you just answer truthfully. Do you understand?
Homer: Yes.

i remember that. It was fucking hilarious:lol :lol :lol

I'll chime in with what other people have said. I think the current look is fine (I actually like it). It's just the writing and stories that are lacking.

Also, I will reminisce on one of my fav lines. It's when they go to the Flanders summer house and Lisa gets the new friends. It's at the beginning when they are about to leave. Lisa gives Homer the bag with nothing in it.

Homer goes, this is pretty light. Lisa goes, maybe you are just getting stronger. Then Homer goes "Well, I HAVE been eating more".

hahahahaha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Grug said:
I have always loved the Treehouse of Horror episodes.
What I love about Homer Cubed is how it had absolutely no business being anything but an abomination, and yet somehow the damn thing turned out to be so awesome and memorable.
9sfnkh.jpg

If New Simpsons tried that I would literally seek out the talentless fuck that thought of it and, justifiably, spit in his/her face.

Darklord

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Season 10 is pure garbage and 9 is garbage with spots of decent.

Wow, it's been shit for ages then. So season 9 was the start of the downfall?

Edit:

WTF? Smithers was originally black? I never knew that.:lol
Smithers.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Darklord said:
Wow, it's been shit for ages then. So season 9 was the start of the downfall?
That's when it started for me. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson to start the season was amazing then goes right into one of my least favorite episodes ever: The Principal and the Pauper. The episode where the real Seymour Skinner comes back. Hate that episode.....

Season 9 still has some awesome episodes though:
NY v. Homer
The Cartridge Family
Bart Carny
Dumbbell Indemnity
etc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't think 9 is worth watching but that's just me being a snob. 8 is about 1/3 crap but the good episodes are really good thus making the season worthwhile even though it was clearly the beginning of the end.

Darklord said:
WTF? Smithers was originally black? I never knew that.:lol
It isn't that he was written to be a black character, but the Korean animation team wasn't instructed otherwise and they gave him that particular coloring.

AniHawk

Aaron Strife said:
Sideshow Bob: It's high time America realizes that we conservatives aren't all Johnny Hatemongers, or Charlie Bible-thumps, or, God forbid, George Bushes.

funny how this quote is more relevant today than it was ten years ago :lol

The whole episode works better today than it did 15 years ago before the Republican Revolution happened (when it was first written). It's really fantastic.

AniHawk

Marvie_3 said:
That's when it started for me. The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson to start the season was amazing then goes right into one of my least favorite episodes ever: The Principal and the Pauper. The episode where the real Seymour Skinner comes back. Hate that episode.....
The commentary was awesome though. They start off by asking whose idea it was to ruin the series.

I think the show is great because personally, I've written off the show since Season 10. So to me, having two bad seasons (9 and 10), two ok seasons (1 and 8), one good one (2), and classic seasons (3-7), is a pretty good score overall.

I believe the last one I watched intentionally was the whole tomacco thing. Not sure what season that is but whatever it was, it was shit.

I also watched the movie.

Edit: The tomacco episode was Season 11. Figures.

Marvie_3

Banned
The Experiment said:
I think the show is great because personally, I've written off the show since Season 10. So to me, having two bad seasons (9 and 10), two ok seasons (1 and 8), one good one (2), and classic seasons (3-7), is a pretty good score overall.

I believe the last one I watched intentionally was the whole tomacco thing. Not sure what season that is but whatever it was, it was shit.

I also watched the movie.
That was season 11. I love the Tomacco episode. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
AniHawk said:
The commentary was awesome though. They start off by asking whose idea it was to ruin the series.
I'm only up to about season 5 on the commentaries. I love the commentary for "Homer at the Bat".....when they're all bashing Canseco. "All the players were really nice! Except for one player... whose name rhymes with Manseco."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AniHawk said:
If you're going to be terrible at your job, I suppose you might as well have a sense of humor about it. That episode was just . . . Jesus Christ. /COMICBOOKGUY LOL

AniHawk

AstroLad said:
If you're going to be terrible at your job, I suppose you might as well have a sense of humor about it. That episode was just . . . Jesus Christ. /COMICBOOKGUY LOL

The weird part is that it was Ken Keeler, who went on to work on Futuarama.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
hm not a huge futurama fan its aight. i guess the simpsons coming out when i was a little kid plays a role in that

human5892

Queen of Denmark
The Experiment said:
Hah, that was one of the last new episodes I watched intentionally, too -- possibly even the last one. It was so awful that I knew in my gut the good Simpsons wasn't coming back.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but if you ever get a chance (and you have a lot of free time) check out the episodes of Bart's birthday and Homer:Bad Man. They both have very fast scrolling text that while slowed down has a few nice easter eggs in them.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Takeda Kenshi said:
Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but if you ever get a chance (and you have a lot of free time) check out the episodes of Bart's birthday and Homer:Bad Man. They both have very fast scrolling text that while slowed down has a few nice easter eggs in them.
"Ted Koppel is a robot![/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom