• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What's the episode where Homer and Barney try to break out of work and they have to go through that crazy dungeon with the giant spider?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Jtwo said:
What's the episode where Homer and Barney try to break out of work and they have to go through that crazy dungeon with the giant spider?
"Duffless"
Bart and Lisa have the Science Fair sub-plot, Homer gives up Duff.

Grug

Can someone post the picture of Homer dancing in his underwear and bear claw slippers from "Homer the Heretic"?

Blader

Rapping Granny said:
Another amazing episode is King-Size Homer.

22426_generated_384x288__zCm-nqO3E0+j4o6t3wz0zw.jpg

Lisa: Dad, what are you doing down there?
Homer: Washing my Fat Guy Hat, honey.

"I want to see more Teddy Roosevelts and less Franklin Roosevelts!"

Grug

Jtwo said:

"To overcome the spider's curse, simply quote a bible verse."

"Thou...shalt...not.... ahh to hell with it."

*throws rock at spider*

:lol

Pakkidis

Grug said:
Can someone post the picture of Homer dancing in his underwear and bear claw slippers from "Homer the Heretic"?

*sees penny*

Is this the greatest day of my life? *Looks closer* IT IS! *Holds up penny*

Grug

Pakkidis said:
*sees penny*

Is this the greatest day of my life? *Looks closer* IT IS! *Holds up penny*

Best episode ever.

029.jpg

058.jpg

"We interupt this public affairs program to bring you... a football game."

110.jpg
111.jpg
112.jpg

"And you remember.... Matthew.... 21.... 17!"

"And he left them and he went out of the city into Bethany and he lodged there?

"Yeah!.... think about it!"

"Little Jamshed, the store is in your hands!"
176.jpg

"I have waited for this day!"
177.jpg

I can wait all...
083.jpg

Zzzzzzzzzzz...
084.jpg

Hello my animal friends, peace be with you.
101.jpg

Guys, can you give me five minutes?

102.jpg

The Patented Space-Age Out-Of-This-World Moon Waffle
032.jpg
039.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
Jtwo said:

lol!

"To overcome the spider's curse simply quote a bible verse."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So so far we have two top 10s yes?

AstroLad said:
1. Deep Space Homer
Oh, those Golden Grahams. Oh, those Golden Grahams. Crispy, crunchy, graham cereal, brand new breakfast treat...."
2. Homer: Bad Man
"Now, this technology is new to me, but...I'm pretty sure that's Homer Simpson in the oven, rotating slowly. [closeup of turkey] His body temperature has risen to over 400 degrees -- he's literally stewing in his own juices."
3. Homer Goes to College
"Dean Bitterman, I hope nothing unsavory happens during my visit. As you know, I am the President of the United States."
4. King-Size Homer
"Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?"
5. The Homer They Fall
"Ladies and gentlemen, whatever dignity remained in boxing is literally flying out the window."
6. Lisa on Ice
"Marge, Bart rides up in the front seat today because he's a good guy at sports.
7. Bart's Comet
"Top of the hour, time for the morning news. But of course, there is no news yet. Everyone's still asleep in their comfy, comfy beds. Good night, everybody"
8. Lemon of Troy
"Homer! Come quick! Bart's quit his tutoring job and joined a violence gang!"
9. Marge Be Not Proud
"I've figured out the boy's punishment. First, he's grounded. No leaving the house, not even for school. Second, no egg nog. In fact, no nog, period. And third, absolutely no stealing for three months."
10. Radioactive Man
"That's what I'd be saying to you if you weren't an inch too short. Next!"

beelzebozo said:
top 10 (vaguely ordered)

[1] bart's friend falls in love
[2] bart the lover
[3] one fish, two fish, blowfish, blue fish
[4] last exit to springfield
[5] homer's triple bypass
[6] lisa's substitute
[7] when flanders failed
[8] $pringfield
[9] homer the heretic
[10] treehouse of horror 2
I want to see some serious debate here.

Grug

AstroLad said:
So so far we have two top 10s yes?

I want to see some serious debate here.

Homer the Heretic and Last Exit to Springfield are the two absolute standouts IMO.

Flawless episodes.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't know if i can really debate you, to be honest. your list just values different things in the episodes than mine, and are decidedly more joke-heavy. my list is comprised of episodes that i think are [1] hilarious and [2] in some way touching or sincere. i'll also admit that my favorite episodes are now colored by my repulsion at the complete lack of humanity in newer episodes.

that may explain why my list is skewed more toward seasons 2 & 3 (7 episodes) than seasons 4 & 5 (3 episodes). i love "deep space homer," "homer goes to college," etc., but just not in the way that i love the episodes on my list.

people could do no wrong watching every episode on both our lists, imo.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh beelz, didn't mean to debate you, should have been clear that I was just prodding others to post lists and/or debate their favorite eps. I should also note that the list I worked from was one I posted here about a year ago where I separated out my overall top 10 and my top 3 sentimental. Would really have a hard time figuring out where to slot in eps like Lisa's Sub.

I think I'd need to do about a Top 30 to capture all the earth-shatteringly great Simpsons episodes. I do have a soft spot for eps like Homer: Bad Man (absolutely my favorite episode as a kid) and Marge Be Not Proud (a sneak-great late-run episode).

You have selected . . . POWER DRIVE.

9fs6d0.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
episodes it was hard for me to neglect on my list that nonetheless deserve mention. there's so many it's almost not even worth making a list, and just saying, "every episode from seasons 1-5":

season 1
life on the fast lane ("it's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of canteloupe at the end"
bart the genius ("r-d-r-r!")
homer's night out

season 2
bart the murderer
simpson and delilah ("who dried your boss's hands? you did it, not the hair!")
bart the daredevil
bart vs. thanksgiving
the way we was
homer vs. lisa & the 8th commandment
blood feud

season 3
mr. lisa goes to washington
homer defined
saturdays of thunder
burns verkaufen der kraftwerk ("in lieu of new management, i regret to announce the following layoffs, in alphabetical order. simpson, homer. . . . that is all.")
radio bart
homer at the bat
black widower

season 4
kamp krusty
lisa the beauty queen
itchy and scratchy the movie
mr. plow
lisa's first word
marge vs. the monorail
duffless

season 5
rosebud
homer goes to college
homer loves flanders
burns' heir
sweet seymour skinner's badassss song ("i think today i shall try. . . bold.")
the boy who knew too much ("say chowda!")

season 6
bart of darkness
lisa on ice
homer bad-man
grandpa vs. sexual inadequacy (reverse vampires & the rand corporation, anyone?)
homer the great
bart's comet
homie the clown
lemon of troy
a star is burns

season 7
bart sells his soul
marge be not proud (love this one)

Anyone remember the scene in Moe's Tavern where Krusty and Skinner were playing some type of game with asian mafia, all I remember was that there was a gun invloved and the asian guy screaming " gi gi mow, gi gi mow" or something like that.

Anyone know the episode?

BitchTits said:
Lisa's Rival is such a great episode. All the stuff with Alison, the diaramas, and Homer's sugar stash was gold!

k9e151.jpg

[Pulls a man from behind the pile]
Thief: [holds teacup and saucer] Hello.
Homer: All right, pal: where'd you get the sugar for that tea?
Thief: I nicked it when you let your guard down for that split second,
and I'd do it again. [sips tea] Goodbye.

Homer pleads his case with Marge.

Homer: You see, Marge? Do you see?
Marge: Homer, when are you going to give up this crazy sugar scheme?
Homer: Never, Marge! Never. I can't live the button-down life like
you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the
creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with
my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling
of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke
their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer
Simpson?"
Marge: Look!... just get rid of the sugar, OK?

ibj611.jpg

OW! Oh, they're defending themselves somehow! :lol

Not only is this scene legendary but the scene in the middle with the beekeepers is even moreso.

master15

Having watched a series of episodes from the first 14 odd seasons over last month or so, it reminded me how utterly amazing early Simpsons was. Truly the writing was godly, and from the subtle to not to subtle references, gags and physical humour to the deep undercurrent of heart the show had, I don't think that combination will be topped in my lifetime.

Having seen Marge vs the monorail recently I still chuckle like a little girl at following scene;

472901560_180751f4c3.jpg

Do you want to change your name to Homer, Jr.? The kids can call you Hoju!

The way the line is delivered, so amazing:lol

Marge: Maggie! We've got a surprise for you.

[brings in the cake. Everyone takes photos of her, and Maggie gets frightened by the flashbulbs, candle flame, and darkened room. She whimpers]

Grandpa: Ooh! Put some Lister's Carbolic Unguent on a wad of cotton, and stick it in her ear! That'll stop them shakes.

Marge's mom: No, no. What she needs is a balsam specific.

Grandpa: Balsam specific?! Oof! While we're burning money, why don't we give her a curative galvanic belt too.

Bart: [raspy] Don't forget to give her Smeckler's Powder.

Grandpa + Marge's mom: Don't make fun!

RaAhBBk4Tilq5uh7encgshp3o1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Tj7huczerdV9rnJ6o1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Thzc70juwlxf7q6Lo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tic39axfvMChXZddo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4TjttqlrhE0nizidRo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Tjvnusm01Ix2aNdWo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tk2pq0giSENgZSMao1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tjyws7kyQLCbn1Pzo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tk5zzudgSpnxk0mio1_500.png

Children, that was our only ball. There will be no team this year.

RaAhBBk4Tk6p0eraI5upgIm3o1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4TibjcuxhSh2Sx39xo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4Tigozfisc9rKLWeYo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tiouhk2dI5qXR7j4o1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tin4bkusaGLtISHOo1_500.png

Blood on the Blackboard: The Bart Simpson Story, starring Neil Patrick Harris as Bart Simpson

RaAhBBk4TjmoworyMbIyvyyno1_500.jpg

Marge: Homer, there is a man here who says he can help you.
Homer: Batman?
Marge: No, he's a scientist.
Homer: Batman's a scientist?

Cohsae

This thread is amazing. This show meant so much to me back when I was a kid, I mean I pretty much grew up with it. It's largely responsible for my current sense of humour really. So many memories. Time to get a hold of some old episodes I think.

How many people here knew someone who wasn't allowed to watch the show as a kid? Is anyone here one of these poor souls themselves? I knew a lot of kids who weren't allowed to watch it for some reason. I never understood what was so objectionable about it and neither did my parents.

Blader

BobFromPikeCreek said:
How many people here knew someone who wasn't allowed to watch the show as a kid? Is anyone here one of these poor souls themselves? I knew a lot of kids who weren't allowed to watch it for some reason. I never understood what was so objectionable about it and neither did my parents.

I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid. Over time, I negotiated a deal with my parents so I could watch one episode a week. Then two. Then I just started watching however many I wanted. :lol

BobFromPikeCreek said:

Two dimensional characters that said the word "ass" terrified the Looney Tunes generation.

BobFromPikeCreek said:

I'm so thankful that I grew up with the Simpsons. I can remember watching it as early as age 4 or 5 and glad that I remember when all these episodes were re runs (twice a day everyday haha) and this thread makes me want to get all the awesome seasons on DVD to show my friends that might not have been exposed to the early episodes.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Marge: Maggie! We've got a surprise for you.

[brings in the cake. Everyone takes photos of her, and Maggie gets frightened by the flashbulbs, candle flame, and darkened room. She whimpers]

Grandpa: Ooh! Put some Lister's Carbolic Unguent on a wad of cotton, and stick it in her ear! That'll stop them shakes.

Marge's mom: No, no. What she needs is a balsam specific.

Grandpa: Balsam specific?! Oof! While we're burning money, why don't we give her a curative galvanic belt too.

Bart: [raspy] Don't forget to give her Smeckler's Powder.

Grandpa + Marge's mom: Don't make fun!

RaAhBBk4Thzc70juwlxf7q6Lo1_500.png

RaAhBBk4Tic39axfvMChXZddo1_500.jpg

RaAhBBk4TjttqlrhE0nizidRo1_500.jpg
what episodes are these from?

effzee

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
RaAhBBk4TjmoworyMbIyvyyno1_500.jpg

Marge: Homer, there is a man here who says he can help you.
Homer: Batman?
Marge: No, he's a scientist.
Homer: Batman's a scientist?

This is the best SIMPSONS MOMENT/QUOTE EVER.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
thing about the simpsons is there are like 10 best quotes ever each episode. just go to snpp pick almost any 2-8 ep and you'll see

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
master15 said:
I contend;

mcbain_silly.jpg

In fact the whole exchange is pure gold
Perhaps it's the "2 AM, haven't slept in hours " silly business talking, but i think this video probably encapsulates all there is needed to know about human life on this planet. Gotta love how he fires at everyone in the audience for no particular reason.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom