• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: I misread the market, the company needs to keep track of foreign trends better

Sandfox

Nintendo needs to create a new western development studio to start to make new sports games. Mario soccer, Mario football, and real legit sports games like NBA Courtside. Dammit

They obviously need to expand in the west but they would be better off getting established ips in those genres over relying on their own.

Nibel

Well, this happens if you focus on Japan too much instead of becoming a worldwide company

And the irony is that the Wii U sells bad even in Japan

Terrell

I understand but that's just a reality that Nintendo is going to have to deal with. Just because you get burned sometimes doesn't mean you give up entirely. Retro obviously survived.
Yeah, survived to make Donkey Kong.

And me personally? I'm fine with that. But when people are talking about strengthening their Western portfolio, more DK isn't what they're talking about. They're talking about an FPS or a violent sandbox game. And Next Level isn't doing that. Monster isn't doing that. NST isn't doing that. Kuju isn't doing that.

... do you see where I'm going with this?

This is pretty exciting as it is a big admission by nintendo that things need to change.

Not sure i would like them ditching hardware as it may mean they decline even further.

I would prefer they use their funds (and they must have a lot) to develop a true next gen console and a forward thinking handheld device.

In the age of mobile devices they have actually done brilliantly with the 3DS, but as soon as mobiles get decent handheld controls they will face a huge problem and i cannot see them succeeding with just another dual screen handheld machine.

One thing is for sure - we need nintendo to be there and succeed as they truely are one of the greats of gaming. Seeing them go the way of sega would be very disheartening as a gamer.

Happened to Retro. Bought, talent left, replacements openly admit they would rather make Donkey Kong than an FPS.

It's not like I pulled this concept from nothing. They did try, and that's what happened.
Western development talent doesn't want to align themselves with Nintendo unless it's to make content that pairs well with the kinds of games Nintendo is best known for.

I don´t believe for a second that Retro made DK by choice, even though PR said that.

Dear Iwata,

Just wanted to let you know that...You've screwed my favorite gaming company by making moronic decisions for years. It's obvious you're only owning up to all of your mistakes to look like you've learned your lesson. Too bad a metric ton of us have watched your tenure as CEO and have seen you own up to the same stupid mistakes over and over and over but always promise to make changes but never actually make any changes until you've run out of time and the cycle repeats itself and we're back to square one.

A better leader would have taken advantage of the stranglehold that the Wii had on the market to expand and grow, covering decade long weaknesses while making Nintendo's development capabilities even stronger. A better leader would have seen that network functionality would be crucial in the future. A better leader would be able to see future trends that will impact the market before it is too late. You don't seem to fit that bill. To be fair, you have been fantastic at sitting on your ass, doing nothing until it's too late. And sometimes just sitting on your ass and doing nothing. So please leave. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Please Understand,

Coffee

AzaK

Happened to Retro. Bought, talent left, replacements openly admit they would rather make Donkey Kong than an FPS.

It's not like I pulled this concept from nothing. They did try, and that's what happened.
Western development talent doesn't want to align themselves with Nintendo unless it's to make content that pairs well with the kinds of games Nintendo is best known for.

Did they all leave because they were bored of being a Metroid machine? I have no idea but maybe giving them some more Western oriented projects might have helped keep staff and broaden Nintendo's portfolio.

Tookay

Yeah, survived to make Donkey Kong.

And me personally? I'm fine with that. But when people are talking about strengthening their Western portfolio, more DK isn't what they're talking about. They're talking about an FPS or a violent sandbox game.
I'm not so convinced that Retro wanted to make Donkey Kong. If you look at Nintendo's Wii U playbook they've been iterating on all their Wii hits, rather predictably thinking that they'd be as successful as before (NSMBU, WiiFit U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Play U). I know that the PR says one thing, but it looks like a top down decision to me.

Thats the current trend. A few years back there was another demographic that bought your marios, animal crossins, pokemans, wii fits and nintendogs
Nintendo was the only company that aimed specifically at them yet they completely lost them.

Nintendos first and foremost goal should be to get them back.

A typical 18-35 male nowadays is not going to give up his gameplay time and money to play halo or cod for mario or zelda. Also about golden eye... The devs that made golden eye (rare, free radical) have fallen off from the fps market completely. I dont think that would have changed under nintendo at all.

Isn't the staff from Rare/Free Radical now part of Crytek?

Weilthain

Banned
I feel like we've heard all this before.

This is where I start getting hyped for the next nintendo machine.

You'd think a console that could play ALL the 3rd party games AND nintendo games would be the obvious answer here.

Foreigners aren't into pedo RPGs as much as Japan.

xRCks.jpg

One thing is for sure - we need nintendo to be there and succeed as they truely are one of the greats of gaming. Seeing them go the way of sega would be very disheartening as a gamer.

In the case of Sega, they finally figured things out but it was too late because they no longer had enough money to keep going. The Dreamcast was a very forward thinking console. But it was too late for them. They'd burned bridges with gamers due to the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn. They burned bridges with retailers with the Saturn. And they were at a point where they didn't have the money to keep it going. But the console itself and its library showed that Sega had finally figured it out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Saying this in 2014 sparks no confidence that he has the ability to get it right.

The majority of Japanese companies began adapting to the market several years ago.

Neff

How Nintendo is able to transition to a new identity without losing it's unique character is the biggest challenge they have faced in quite some time.

They don't need to lose their character, or be compromised in doing what they do well. They simply need to accommodate Western requirements ie sports/open world/shooters, while continuing to do the Japanese Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokémon thing in tandem.

They've said before that they don't chase the competition because it doesn't interest them, which is understandable because it's boring. But boring sells, and hopefully this is now apparent to them.

AzaK

I feel like we've heard all this before.

This is where I start getting hyped for the next nintendo machine.

You'd think a console that could play ALL the 3rd party games AND nintendo games would be the obvious answer here.

You'd think it, but then we've been thinking it for twenty years and it hasn't happened yet.

m rated shooters and lots of them

open world games

sports

that's about it.

Go deeper.

Online multiplayer.
Social Aspects w/o merging into Gameplay
Western High-Fantasy
Action-RPGs
Big Budget Presentations (scripted events, motion capture by real actors, graphicsgraphicsgraphics)
Free-to-Play
Blending Single and Multiplayer
Emotional storylines
Achievements

Terrell

I'm not so convinced that Retro wanted to make Donkey Kong. If you look at Nintendo's Wii U playbook they've been iterating on all their Wii hits, rather predictably thinking that they'd be as successful as before (NSMBU, WiiFit U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Play U). I know that the PR says one thing, but it looks like a top down decision to me.
So Nintendo has forced every Western development team AND partner to make Nintendo-like software since halfway through the GameCube era?

Sorry, not buying this idea that Retro was hamstrung into making DKC. Not for one second. The history of their Western partnerships and in house talent speaks for itself.

In the case of Sega, they finally figured things out but it was too late because they no longer had enough money to keep going. The Dreamcast was a very forward thinking console. But it was too late for them. They'd burned bridges with gamers due to the 32X, Sega CD, and Saturn. They burned bridges with retailers with the Saturn. And they were at a point where they didn't have the money to keep it going. But the console itself and its library showed that Sega had finally figured it out.

Yeah it's really a shame. Dreamcast was an amazing console. It was ahead of it's time, and its library was brimming with creative and imaginative games. It just suffered the consequences of its predecessors' mistakes.

I'm not so sure it's a really similar situation with Nintendo here. There's some ill will towards them from some gamers and most 3rd parties, but, overall, I don't get the impression that it's as severe as it all was towards Sega around that time.

Saying this in 2014 sparks no confidence that he has the ability to get it right.

The majority of Japanese companies began adapting to the market several years ago.

And most of them are kind of in a tragic state now. Nintendo needs to carve its own path outta the woods here.

Neff

And it bit them royally in the ass. Last gen was a bloodbath of near-unrecognisable and unwisely outsourced beloved Japanese franchises. The best course for Nintendo is to repair bridges/form new alliances with Western developers for games they want to make, rather than make the same unfortunate attempts to hammer Japanese square pegs into Western round holes.

Wait a second...

That talent that left made a horrible vita game and some ports. The guys that stayed made dkcr which was a multimillionseller and critics gave it high scores... Just saying..
And it bit them royally in the ass. Last gen was a bloodbath of near-unrecognisable and unwisely outsourced beloved Japanese franchises. The best course for Nintendo is to repair bridges/form new alliances with Western developers for games they want to make, rather than make the same unfortunate attempts to hammer Japanese square pegs into Western round holes.

Wisely said. Nintendo should definately not go the way of capcom

liger05

So he finally realises the touch generation of consumer has gone and nobody gives a damn about Wii sports, wii fit, wii play etc etc.

Well done genius.

It was all so forced and contrived and just an awful identity-crisis. I know Nintendo likes to act like it's in a bubble but I hope they at least paid attention to what happened to these other Japanese companies and won't repeat the same mistake themselves.

Carcetti

I didn't say I didn't like Endless Ocean. I own and played/beat the sequel, and thoroughly enjoyed it. (BTW, download the Wii Fit U trial if you have a balance board, there is a scuba diving mini-game!)

And I agree, that a new Endless Ocean in HD could be impressive and fun. BUT, that doesn't mean I agree with NoA not localizing those games.

NoA didn't support the Wii with games that were 100% developed and translated for the system, why should we expect third parties to support Nintendo systems when NoA wasn't even doing it?

Endless Ocean is pretty much an obsession to me, that's pretty much all I was saying there. It was so relaxing it didn't even feel ike gaming but something better.

Tookay

So Nintendo has forced every Western development team AND partner to make Nintendo-like software since halfway through the GameCube era?

Sorry, not buying this idea that Retro was hamstrung into making DKC. Not for one second. The history of their Western partnerships and in house talent speaks for itself.

That's a weird logical leap to make, since nothing in my statement suggested that.

Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.
Maybe you shouldn't have taken over NOA then dammit.

JDSN

Banned
In an ideal world this means that they are gonna hire external help from the west to assess market trends and listening to their western studios and second parties, sadly this is Nintendo so this will probably translate to Iwata skimming Neogaf's frontpage and saying "Guess they want Skyrim and Tomb Raider!" while Reggie nods approvingly in the background. Seriously, you know you are out of touch when Sega knows a market better than you.

Terrell

That's a weird logical leap to make, since nothing in my statement suggested that.
You stated that Retro was lying when they said they legitimately wanted to make DKCTF. If they're lying, there's only one logical conclusion of what they're lying about. Which you've confirmed in the edit to your post.

You made the implication to discredit my point. I ran with it.

Yeah it's really a shame. Dreamcast was an amazing console. It was ahead of it's time, and its library was brimming with creative and imaginative games. It just suffered the consequences of its predecessors' mistakes.

I'm not so sure it's a really similar situation with Nintendo here. There's some ill will towards them from some gamers and most 3rd parties, but, overall, I don't get the impression that it's as severe as it all was towards Sega around that time.

Oh, I definitely wasn't trying to imply that Nintendo is anywhere near the same situation. If anything they have the room, money, and time to come up with their Dreamcast, except they would still be in a position to give it full support both in terms of games and marketing. The big questions are whether or not they have the people to make a console like that, and will those in the power positions give them their full support to make that console?

FuturusX

They don't need to lose their character, or be compromised in doing what they do well. They simply need to accommodate Western requirements ie sports/open world/shooters, while continuing to do the Japanese Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Pokémon thing in tandem.

They've said before that they don't chase the competition because it doesn't interest them, which is understandable because it's boring. But boring sells, and hopefully this is now apparent to them.

How many pure FPS games has Nintendo created internally and published historically? Would doing so not fundamentally represent a change of identity for the company? If they published on mobile - would it not be a unique position to release Nintendo software that is not tied to hardware? Both of those propositions would undercut the identity of the company. Is that a bad thing? I can't say. But it would be a different Nintendo for sure.

Tookay

You stated that Retro was lying when they said they wanted to make DKCTF. If they're lying, there's only one logical conclusion of what they're lying about.

You made the implication to discredit my point. I ran with it.

You ran in the wrong direction, because nothing in my post had anything to do with other studios or the GCN era.

But since you so kindly opened up the discussion, would it really surprise you to consider that management might direct its wholly-owned component studios to iterate upon their biggest financial successes?

Or that PR occasionally lies?

Terrell

You ran in the wrong direction, because nothing in my post had anything to do with other studios or the GCN era.

But since you so kindly opened up the discussion, would it really surprise you to consider that management might direct its component studios to iterate upon their biggest financial successes?
No, it wouldn't. But then why LIE about it when nothing is gained from it? It smacks of a conspiracy drummed up by gamers who don't want to look at the presented facts at face value.

I brought up the GC and Wii eras as precedent for my point. Any of them could have made the games that we wanted, but they didn't.

Tookay

No, it wouldn't. But then why LIE about it when nothing is gained from it?

Because saying "we're making DKTF not because we still have some new avenues to take the franchise, because the last one made a shit-ton of money" isn't going to satisfy your base, when they want to see something creative?

TriGen

I feel like this is the biggest admission Iwata's made that he misread the market and Nintendo needs to adapt and change. It will likely take a long time for any changes to really have an impact, however.

Holy fucking shit. This is the same shit as last year. I thought the entire reason he became NOA CEO was to ensure Nintendo stayed relevant in the West and keep track of development there and now he says that he can't be "his own antenna there". What has he done as CEO of NOA?

Iwata your stock just went down by 17%. You can't stall this shit for another year. You need to start now and discuss what your going to do in detail now (investors meeting). No more please understand, no more we have so and so in development but tel us exactly whats going on.

Terrell

Because saying "we're making this not because we still have some new avenues to take this, because the last one made a shit-ton of money" isn't going to satisfy your base, when they want to see something creative?
Except the lie obviously satisfies nothing when people keep talking about it as a lie. So nothing is gained from it.
So if nothing is gained from a statement, it's more likely to be the truth.

Toski

Did they all leave because they were bored of being a Metroid machine? I have no idea but maybe giving them some more Western oriented projects might have helped keep staff and broaden Nintendo's portfolio.

That and having to keep Metroid, Metroid. I think Raven Blade should've been resurrected because it would appeal to the 18-35 core gamer and keep Retro oriented to Western gamers.

Nintendo should've bought Vigil and Volition when THQ went under, but Iwata sat on his hands when a prime opportunity presented itself. I think the "talent bleed" is an excuse that Iwata/Nintendo uses to justify not expanding their development resources due conservatism and penny pinching.

FuturusX

The mere fact that Titanfall - COD - Battlefield are dominating the western gaming agenda. Tells you everything you need to know about the size of the challenge for Nintendo...Godspeed.

Tookay

And I'm not the majority. By a long shot. Or people would be agreeing with me here, wouldn't they?

We're dealing with a company that repeatedly tells its investors and consumers that they learned from their mistakes or their droughts and repeats them ad nausem over the course of a decade. You're going to tell me that I should take everything they say on face value?

Sandfox

The mere fact that Titanfall - COD - Battlefield are dominating the western gaming agenda. Tells you everything you need to know about the size of the challenge for Nintendo...Godspeed.

Its not like they're going to try and compete against CoD.

Terrell

We're dealing with a company that repeatedly tells its investors and consumers that they learned from their mistakes or their droughts and repeats them ad nausem over the course of a decade. You're going to tell me that I should take everything they say on face value?
The dev team at Retro isn't Nintendo.
Not every developer is a corporate mouthpiece.

EDarkness

Seriously. My feeling now is put up or shut up. Doesn't seem to me like they've learned jack squat. When they start actually DOING something about it, I'll be more impressed.

Top Bottom