• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

miksar

I think the title is sensationalist and should be changed. I don't see any possible sign of implication that he would resign if Nintendo doesn't meet the set profit goal.

Roman

I think the title is sensationalist and should be change. I don't see any possible sign of implication that he would resign if Nintendo doesn't meet the set profit goal.

I agree. He's not claiming to put anything on the line.

Hasney

We got Xenoblade, and a free 3DS game. I'm happy enough for now. :p Hopefully they keep localizing as many titles as possible, I don't want a return to the dark years. :(

We also have to wait until after 11pm to buy some games and if you've ever had to deal with their customer service... Dear god, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Called them on Wii U launch day because my VC games were missing from my Wii Shop history and I still haven't heard back yet.

And when you're fighting two consoles, that's a pretty rough position to be in.

Do you think its a market reality for Nintendo though? They couldn't survive a Sony; and they couldn't take the risks MS took.

This continues into this gen. Maybe Nintendo is niche; just Iwata has to take this more into consideration. Whilst he denies it specifically; if Nintendo is pleasing a more core audience whilst branching out (Animal Crossing in the end pleases another audience - I think people forget a Nintendo fan doesn't necessarily like one specific type of game) at times - it really would be best to move to a single system.

We'll see what they have in store I suppose. Iwata is now reacting well it seems to HD development problems and as quickly as he can. This is why I think hes the best leader they can have. Hes calm and learns as things happen.

I do feel his one mistake was maybe leaving motion controls behind. Wii contollers could have been given a strong update and probably rode in a new gen than WiiU. But it may have just added to development woes I suppose.

Just about getting through the generation now.

Change noa before noj. I am sure Iwata have something to show and be out before next year end. If Iwata goes down and the next guy pushes for IOS games and 3rd party, I hope they can release a Nintendo Nintendo game on wiiu before they "die". I will buy a Wii U for that game.

I thought they made a loss this FY as well? So it's still only the 2011 FY that they made a loss? If that's the case, then I think that Iwata resigning/being axed would be a very premature decision to make.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/2012_04.html

FY3 2012 (Apr. 11 - Mar. 12) had a net loss of -43,204 million yen.

The current fiscal year is profitable (due to the yen), but they projected that their operating income is going to be worse, but that they ultimately should be on the plus side (still because of the yen).

I like Iwata and don't want to see him have to go but I do think Nintendo in general needs a bit of a shakeup. NCL is way too Japan oriented for the fact Japan makes up such a small portion of the overall pie. NCL would really benefit from a more diverse leadership that includes some non Japanese.

Nintendo is always designing everything with Japan in mind and hoping the rest of the world buys in. Need to start designing with a more global outlook and work on convincing Japan to buy in.

What is so wrong with a Japanese company that has a little over 123 years of being Japanese saying Japanese? You want Reggie in Kyoto? Or maybe some ex-EA boss taking over for Iwata? Seriously this would still be Nintendo?

You can't change a company's identity overnight, you can have Nintendo carbon copy Microsoft and still people would not see them as a Western company. You can't change this, sometimes your foundation and what you are known for is the reason why people buy.

It would be far better for them to cave in and join Apple to be accepted than becoming more western copy that no one will accept.

The market is changing, Nintendo just needs to understand how to play its game in this new market. Partnerships would be better than giving people a false sense of change.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Pretty sure he wouldn't have said that if he didn't belief they'd reach that goal.
yep, people here need to re-read the quote. It reminds me of Iwata's statements before Wii, about how he'd consider it a failure if their next console didn't exceed Gamecube level sales.

Right, exactly. I mean, you get those company shills from time to time who talk nothing but shit, or are only interested in success and profit, and I just don't get that from Iwata. I think he does give a shit and honestly does want Nintendo to produce top class software. And I think he does feel bad when customers are unhappy. But that's all irrespective of his actual ability to lead the company in a modern climate.
The world is too cynical. We aren't ready for people like Iwata..
:(

hongcha

I think the title is sensationalist and should be changed. I don't see any possible sign of implication that he would resign if Nintendo doesn't meet the set profit goal.

In Japanese business culture, if you say what he said and you don't come through with that in the end, you either resign or kill yourself (I'm not kidding).

DSix

Banned
Betting his position on a single year and number is incredibly rash and stupid. I mean, even if he didn't hit that target, Iwata is incredibly competent and is one of the strongest advantages of current Nintendo. If they hit a bad spot, they still need someone like him to lead them out of it.

And while all of that happens, Yoichi Wada is still CEO of Square Enix.

I do wonder if NoA and NoE should merge under an umbrella.
They were formed at a time before the communications revolution we've seen in recent years.

NoA and NoE have things to benefit from:
- Translating English/Spanish/French together and localisation in general.
- If NoE has different release schedules to NoA it makes the UK a sort of odd place where the english press is discussing the new games but their not yet available. Same day launches over NoE and NoA would make for great efficiency savings.

Obviously a few things can't be put under an Umbrella:
- Marketing
- Supply
- Customer Support
- PR

End of the day those are the things NoA/NoE are there for. Japan offices can manage releases; this would be more a delegating of NoJ's responsibilities as well as NoA/NoE's to some sort of Overseas department.

wsippel

Banned
Confidence is easily misplaced. That is a ridiculous target that Nintendo simply will not reach.
You know, contrary to us, Iwata actually knows what Nintendo has in store over next 14 months. He also knows much more than us about Sony's and Microsoft's next generation efforts.

antonz

What is so wrong with a Japanese company that has a little over 123 years of being Japanese saying Japanese? You want Reggie in Kyoto? Or maybe some ex-EA boss taking over for Iwata? Seriously this would still be Nintendo?

You can't change a company's identity overnight, you can have Nintendo carbon copy Microsoft and still people would not see them as a Western company. You can't change this, sometimes your foundation and what you are known for is the reason why people buy.

It would be far better for them to cave in and join Apple to be accepted than becoming more western copy that no one will accept.

The market is changing, Nintendo just needs to understand how to play its game in this new market. Partnerships would be better than giving people a false sense of change.

See I don't want Iwata gone in this scenario. Hes still captaining the ship. They just need some more diverse voices saying hey lets not go so far left field when if we move to the right a little bit it leaves us more competitive in general.

The simple truth is Nintendo cannot sustain a console on their own without significant droughts. They know this and still take too many steps to left field that makes it easier and easier for 3rd parties to find ways out of developing.

In Japanese business culture, if you say what he said and you don't come through with that in the end, you either resign or kill yourself (I'm not kidding).

Bollocks. People who drive their business into the ground or lose everything kill themselves as much across the rest of the world.

Sure there are cultural pressures but theres enough examples of the above NOT happening.
Kaz took over Sony afterall.

Shadders

They'll hit their target.

They have some big games this year, Pokemon will clean up, new Zelda, there'll be a new Mario or 2 shown at E3. I don't think a billion is out of reach.

Look at the revenue COD and Halo can generate in a day, Pokemon and Mario Kart sell similar numbers, just without the fanfare.

Kouriozan

You know, contrary to us, Iwata actually knows what Nintendo has in store over next 14 months. He also knows much more than us about Sony's and Microsoft's next generation efforts.

Yeah, this is really true.
Can't wait to see what Iwata has in store for us.

Diablos54

Really? Cause Mikami still has his head last time I checked. :p And Wada somehow still has his job despite driving S-E in the fucking ground over the course of this gen.

Kurdel

Banned
Betting his position on a single year and number is incredibly rash and stupid. I mean, even if he didn't hit that target, Iwata is incredibly competent and is one of the strongest advantage of current Nintendo.

1-Declining popularity and relevance of the Wii brand over the last 2 years.
2- 3DS price failiure to start, price cut and ambassador program to save face.
3- The Wii U launch was not the smash hit Iwata needed. Compared to the Wii, it is as of now a failiure in imagination and execution.

Iwata is an exec, and his job is to take the blame if things go wrong. Things have been going wrong for a while now, and someone needs to take the blame.

z

IrishNinja

I do wonder if NoA and NoE should merge under an umbrella.
They were formed at a time before the communications revolution we've seen in recent years.

NoA and NoE have things to benefit from:
- Translating English/Spanish/French together and localisation in general.
- If NoE has different release schedules to NoA it makes the UK a sort of odd place where the english press is discussing the new games but their not yet available. Same day launches over NoE and NoA would make for great efficiency savings.

i like this idea on the surface, but given NOE's struggles to move units in EU right now, and NOA's awful marketing/localization in recent times, i feel there's no strong partner to life either in this equation, sadly

you just read james clavell's shogun, didn't you
be honest bro

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
you can tell Hirai studied in America

this would make me very sad. Iwata doesn't deserve it, he achieved immense success and now he's struggling, but hey, it's his decision

I believe.

Forget the Wii U, the 3DS will be making plenty of money for Nintendo.

Thats not to say the Wii U won't pick up its pace. When 720/PS4 arrives we will feel the full force.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
see, if we're imagining a nintendogs crowd, i think the'yd be a perfect example of people who stopped paying $40 for games when stuff like that & brain age can be replaced (in terms of casual play) on ios and similar platforms for a great deal less...the zelda crowd will be around, it's this group i think is largely gone

I wasn't seeing them as a market segment, just those who bought the game for a variety of reasons. What incentive did they have to invest in a new handheld and game? Nintendogs probably offered everything they needed.

Wii Fit U on the other hand seems to be offering far more incentives for upgrading.

The big success on the DS and Wii may be a one time thing because they have already served their purpose. Unless Nintendo can come up with a reason that will convince people to buy a new one I think it's pointless to just bring them back just because. Then even said that about Brian Training. There was no reason until a new book came out with new theories.

Pretty sure he wouldn't have said that if he didn't belief they'd reach that goal.

The market could turn on him, no matter what Nintendo has up its sleeves, maybe Sony has a Vita revival eating away at the 3DS.

Maybe Capcom announce a port of Monster Hunter 4 Vita months before the 3DS version
Maybe PS4 kills anymore Wii U sales

There are many ways to fail to reach the goal he set. Iwata will have to start delivering major games to both 3DS and Wii U to keep his job.

I would hate to see him go before seeing the merged fruits of the home console X portable plan

Erethian

Iwata is clearly the reason for Nintendo's over conservative approach. The man has ignored the company's pedigree of pushing the boundaries of gaming, and fostered a company that relied far too much on previous successes. Throwbacks are cool from time to time, but that's about all I expect out of this company now. It feels like they are bankrupt on ideas, and suffering from sequelitis.

The Wii U could have really upset Microsoft and Sony if it had lived up to the technical prowess that was once mentioned. Instead, it is more or less the most conservative and cowardly designed machine in the modern era.

This seems a really strange thing to say given the Wii and all the "Wii" brand software titles, and the DS and "Touch Generations" brand software titles.

If anything Nintendo was on a very iterative, conservative path before he took over. Like the Gamecube.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
He's a good person and president, but i wouldn't be sad to see someone else replace him. The Wii and Wii U has been disappointing in many aspects, be it lack of hardware power, lack of third party support, lack of decent online structure, unconventional controllers(as fun as they may be) that scares some developpers, etc.

Kinda feel bad for him, but a lot of this was brought on Nintendo by themselves. For a home console arguably 1 or 2 years late, the whole thing still feels like they're playing catch up. The recent Nintendo Direct made a lot of people happy though and hopefully they can maintain the steady stream of software incoming over the next few months. They also need a really good E3 at this point no matter how little they care about the show.

unconventional controllers(as fun as they may be) that scares some developpers, etc.

This was possibly and very well true for the Wii in cases but definitely not for the Wii U, Nintendo seemed to make a concerted effort to actually adapt the new controller for third partys' needs and desires.

It might have backfired but them lying about the controller being complex shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

;_;

daakusedo

Never understood the ethics of resigning.

You (laughs) you lose, I suppose.

In this case i would be disappointed by the lack of fighting spirit if it's really what he wanted to imply. Leaving by himself, one year after the console launched, i would be perplexed.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
1-Declining popularity and relevance of the Wii brand over the last 2 years.
2- 3DS price failiure to start, price cut and ambassador program to save face.
3- The Wii U launch was not the smash hit Iwata needed. Compared to the Wii, it is as of now a failiure in imagination and execution.

Iwata is an exec, and his job is to take the blame if things go wrong. Things have been going wrong for a while now, and someone needs to take the blame.

z

so we are back to 1990's levels in the stock price..

disco

If Iwata was to leave I wonder who would replace him. I also wonder what direction Nintendo would go. High end again? Is that what people are hoping for?

Nintendo can't go high end. They're successful because their consumers are younger. They're bothered about getting their product out to kids and always have been. Nintendo are not luxury and have never been luxury in the same way you may be able to position a PS3.

thefro

Iwata's big issue is the Western market.

They should be asking themselves "How can we make our own franchises that we control that will appeal to the core 360/PS3 gamer in the West?" instead of either being resigned to say "We can't make those kind of games", or expecting a quick Wii U port of a few games to immediately put them on par with Microsoft or Sony.

In Japan, they've been pouncing all over trying to lock up any series that sells over there. They locked up Dragon Quest & Monster Hunter. They bought Monolith Soft and funded Sakaguchi making a game to try to make franchises that appeal to the core gamer in Japan. A lot of those efforts would be better spent in starting up their own studios in NA/Europe and creating new quality IPs that will appeal to someone who plays Uncharted or Call of Duty or Halo or GTA.

Now, if they had some new ideas for Wii U games to appeal to the casual market that were close to appealing as Wii Sports or Wii U, they could probably get away with not having their own AAA franchises that appeal to the West. But they don't have that either.

You add on top of that the marketing problems they've been having with people unclear on whether the 3DS is another DS revision (and the same thing for the Wii U).

Of course, that would cost a lot of money to do those things and put them in a worse short-term financial position with stockholders, even though the Wii U numbers would be better.

BD1

Banned
Uh.... That's not it. Actually, that's very very wrong. I don't know how you could even argue it that way. The newly found audience save the shrinking industry.

Huh? 5 years ago, yes, absolutely. The platform holders did a great job of cultivating a new audience. But the console market is in drastic decline and much of that addressable market isn't playing games on console right now.

Cheebo

Banned
If Iwata leaves my guess is the new CEO will be a yes man to the shareholders and will shift their portable strategy to iOS and Android and Nintendo will release a Android based gaming tablet.

IrishNinja

yeah, a spec-only perspective is the only metric i can see that can possibly call the DS, wii, WU etc "conservative", agreed that they took much bigger chances than the GBA & GC ever did, for better or worse

If Iwata leaves my guess is the new CEO will be a yes man to the shareholders and will shift their portable strategy to iOS and Android and Nintendo will release a Android based gaming tablet.

jesus, they might as well just go 3rd party at that point

See I don't want Iwata gone in this scenario. Hes still captaining the ship. They just need some more diverse voices saying hey lets not go so far left field when if we move to the right a little bit it leaves us more competitive in general.

The simple truth is Nintendo cannot sustain a console on their own without significant droughts. They know this and still take too many steps to left field that makes it easier and easier for 3rd parties to find ways out of developing.

The position Nintendo is in is the same position as say someone who is trying to get a Smartphone to sell more than an iPhone

It is not easy to overcome that hurdle. You are not dropping the most powerful monster tech out there when customers are hardcore tech hungry buyers. I saw 3DS having no chance versus Vita but it did not turn out as I expected. Now I see Wii U having no change in hell against PS4 and seriously do not see Sony dropping the ball on this. Notice I did not say anything about Microsoft because Sony is the only one that has a chance at Killing Nintendo at home in Japan that is all that needs to happen in the next 14 months for Iwata to be out of a job.

I think the Nintendo X Partner plan is a very good solution to what your are saying above though. But can this plan get the results needed in time?

Pokemon Wii U with NFC? What is the major boost that Iwata sees and we don't?

Diablos54

That would be a terrible idea, which is why I'm so afraid of a yes man replacing him.

Top Bottom