• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

Ashler

This could either be a very good thing (fresh blood, more in touch with changes needed), or something that sinks Nintendo, if it were to happen.

Personally, I like Iwata.

antonz

Nintendo can't go high end. They're successful because their consumers are younger. They're bothered about getting their product out to kids and always have been. Nintendo are not luxury and have never been luxury in the same way you may be able to position a PS3.

Here is the problem. High end doesn't have to be bank breaking. In someways Nintendo ends up forcing itself to make performance cuts in order to afford the gimmick they hope sells the device. The WiiU gamepad is why the WiiU doesn't pack a 1.8gflop GPU and an 8 core cpu with 8gb of ram.

Mind you even with a standard controller Nintendo could still shortchange but it would be less likely to have the gap it has

Somnid

If I were Iwata in that situation I'd start a share buy back. It'd really be a shame to waste his efforts in creating high quality games that seek to broaden the relevance of games in general just over silly stock growth reasons. They could introduce paid DLC in Animal Crossing and Pokemon, online passes for Mario Kart and monthly service fees to make the money like everyone else but Iwata is probably the last reasonable person in power who's not willing to take consumers for all their worth.

But so is the curse of being a publically traded company. At least Gaben doesn't have to put up with this shit.

K' Dash

Here is the problem. High end doesn't have to be bank breaking. In someways Nintendo ends up forcing itself to make performance cuts in order to afford the gimmick they hope sells the device. The WiiU gamepad is why the WiiU doesn't pack a 1.8gflop GPU and an 8 core cpu with 8gb of ram.

Mind you even with a standard controller Nintendo could still shortchange but it would be less likely to have the gap it has

Would you rather have 3 identical consoles?

Roman

If Iwata leaves my guess is the new CEO will be a yes man to the shareholders and will shift their portable strategy to iOS and Android and Nintendo will release a Android based gaming tablet.

As others have pointed out, worst case scenario.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't want to see him go. He's been the face of Nintendo and really turned them around since the GameCube era. This kinda sucks.

If I were Iwata in that situation I'd start a share buy back. It'd really be a shame to waste his efforts in creating high quality games that seek to broaden the relevance of games in general just over silly stock growth reasons. They could introduce paid DLC in Animal Crossing and Pokemon, online passes for Mario Kart and monthly service fees to make the money like everyone else but Iwata is probably the last reasonable person in power who's not willing to take consumers for all their worth.

But so is the curse of being a publically traded company. At least Gaben doesn't have to put up with this shit.

DLC in Animal Crossing would reduce its sales at retail. Nintendo currently has the best DLC strategy imo; they have to continue to ensure they don't break the userbase with a few games. This is why their IPs are still selling after 10/20/30 years.

Erethian

Nintendo needs a point of differentiation with their hardware or else they end up in another Gamecube scenario.

antonz

If anything Gen 7 has taught us that the vast majority of consumers are happy with consoles that are basically identical aside from exclusives.

Gen 7 is gonna end with all 3 consoles basically selling evenly which has never happened before.

Nintendo could easily continue with the more mature branding, console design etc aka skip the stupid lunchboxes etc that doomed gamecube

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
It's a sad thing, but he and Reggie both need to go imo. There are too many problems (third party support, online, etc.) that haven't been addressed for way too long. Wii and DS were for all intents and purposes a fluke. They both were low cost risks that payed off hugely for them, but at the expense of addressing problems. So now we're back to square one and they are looking again to repeat the success of Wii and DS because they never addressed these issues. The problem is, both 3DS and Wii U don't have industry changing designs like before and they are branded so closely to their predecessors.

His solution for merging the portable and console groups, while a good idea, is too late. They should have either developed a next gen console equal in power to Orbis/Durango or merged their portable and console together before. At this point, it's too late for both and they are forced into the situation they are in. It is mismanagement and a lack of understanding the direction the industry is heading in. At the end of the day, as much as I hate to see him go, he has a huge responsibility in this.

Edit - I think a better place for Iwata would be a position overseeing Japanese game development. He seems to have a good relationship with third parties and understands what needs to be done internally for success as well. Someone else should be CEO though.

They need to do a better job in communication with NoA & NoE as well. Reggie needs to go, but they need someone who has a bigger voice in relaying what the trends are outside of Japan.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The other day someone said it would be better for the consumer if we only had one unified system that all consoles were based off of. Apparently choice and competition are bad.

Pyrrhus

Also does Yamauchi have any family within Nintendo? Maybe bring the company back into the family line?

No. He actually saw to that when he took control of the company decades ago. No relatives to threaten his power was one of his conditions for taking over for his grandfather.

His solution for merging the portable and console groups, while a good idea, is too late. They should have either developed a next gen console equal in power to Orbis/Durango or merged their portable and console together before. At this point, it's too late for both and they are forced into the situation they are in. It is mismanagement and a lack of understanding the direction the industry is heading in. At the end of the day, as much as I hate to see him go, he has a huge responsibility in this.

How would an Orbis/Durango-esque console mean more software? Surely it would make it a harder learning curve; increase the price even further and massively increase the risk and reduce software profits?

They can't merge portable/console yet as the power vs cost situation is not there.
Iwata does not have magic fairy dust; his job is to position the company the best he can in the current market.

Nessus

So fire the man who oversaw the creation of Nintendo's 2 best selling consoles, ever?

That seems extremely shortsighted based, apparently, on one possible failure (the Wii U), and obviously even that is still way too early to tell.

The 3DS I don't think can even be considered a failure at this point; it's already surpassed the lifetime sales of the GameCube in under 2 years.

So the short term financial losses Nintendo has incurred in the last 2 years somehow invalidate the BILLIONS they raked in during the Wii/DS era?

I realize it's a business, but it just seems ungrateful. I don't see how it could be argued that he's had anything but a net positive impact on the company and that should buy him some good will.

Somnid

DLC in Animal Crossing would reduce its sales at retail. Nintendo currently has the best DLC strategy imo; they have to continue to ensure they don't break the userbase with a few games. This is why their IPs are still selling after 10/20/30 years.

Absolutely. But a typical shareholder doesn't care about the business, just how the stock performs and whether you can make more next time. Why do you think some people clamor for them to go iOS? The iOS money isn't made on initial app purchase.

So fire the man who oversaw the creation of Nintendo's 2 best selling consoles, ever?

That seems extremely shortsighted based, apparently, on one possible failure (the Wii U), and obviously even that is still way too early to tell.

The 3DS I don't think can even be considered a failure at this point; it's already surpassed the lifetime sales of the GameCube in under 2 years.

So the short term financial losses Nintendo has incurred in the last 2 years somehow invalidate the BILLIONS they raked in during the Wii/DS era?

I realize it's a business, but it just seems ungrateful. I don't see how it could be argued that he's had anything but a net positive impact on the company and that should buy him some good will.

Note that it's not necessarily the shareholders calling for his head but more Iwata taking on the responsibility of pleasing them.

Riposte

Ah man, I've come to like Iwata.

I wish they were more hungry with the WiiU so as to cement itself for the future. They should have sought to make something that every family would want... ideally replacing the home tablet, DVR box, and cable box (and the Wii) all at once. The end result doesn't look close to that (who knows in a few years and who knows if it will matter). As a game console is it going to have some trouble too. I'm sure to be satisfied though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Way too many bone-headed moves with the release of the 3DS and WiiU for there to not be repercussions. Rather than totally outing Iwata however, they should demote him to share responsibilities with a new and highly talented western co-CEO/President and shifting a lot more power and money westward for development, marketing, and more. Nintendo owns Japan, but it is forfeiting the rest of the entire world with that myopic focus and that needs to change.

All while firing Reggie of course. Out of a cannon.

vareon

Not firing. Iwata is stating that he is taking responsibility if Nintendo did not reach target. The responsibility might include handing Nintendo to a more capable person, in the board's point of view.

download.php

squid

Damn. I really hope they meet their sales expectations because I like Iwata. I don't agree with some of the decisions he/Nintendo have made, but he seems like a very smart man and comes across as honest and appreciative. Nintendo have made quite a few mistakes in the last couple of years, but their reaction to the sluggish 3DS launch was swift and effective (especially in Japan). Hopefully Iwata can also right the ship with WiiU and continue as head honcho.

To be quite honest, I think Reggie is the one who should be skating on thin ice. His constant PR crap is incredibly transparent (and quite annoying) and Nintendo of America have been pretty terrible the last few years (even Nintendo of Australia down here have been doing better for the most part).

Also, I would miss all the glorious Iwata gifs :-(

Wii U is such a poorly thought out product that he probably should.

3DS isn't much better either. The novelty of 3D was basically over before it released.

Way too many bone-headed moves with the release of the 3DS and WiiU for there to not be repercussions. Rather than totally outing Iwata however, they should demote him to share responsibilities with a new and highly talented western co-CEO/President and shifting a lot more power and money westward for development, marketing, and more. Nintendo owns Japan, but it is forfeiting the rest of the entire world with that myopic focus and that needs to change.

All while firing Reggie of course. Out of a cannon.

Taking Japan for granted to make a desperate grab at America has worked so well for Sony.

daxy

To be fair, I can't even imagine how you compensate for such weak years after the Wii's initial success.

3DS launch (price) was bad, but the device itself came at a good time. Don't know how much of that is on him. Conceptually that and the Wii U are also not very interesting compared to DS and Wii at the time, I personally think. More 'riding on the coattails of' than exciting new product. Especially the Wii U seems to be in a strange (but understandable) place where casuals don't seem interested and the (non-Nintendo) core crowd isn't exactly drooling over it either.
I think they should've made a clean break from the Wii. There's enough of that idea still in the gamepad and casuals could've been interested enough by the perspective of 'the next Nintendo'. Now they're just confused as to why you can't buy the tablet separately.

They're doing good things with digital downloads on 3DS and Wii U though and on the software side in general. NSMB needs to stop though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Taking Japan for granted to make a desperate grab at America has worked so well for Sony.

If by expanding exponentially and having an entire platter of the worlds most talented western developers under their umbrella isn't working out well, then I guess they did flub that yes. I'm not saying kill Iwata on public broadcast, but bring the scales back into balance by actually establishing more of a western base with a partnered President of equal power and importance than the seemingly pussy-whipped Retro. Iwata has Japan seemingly on lockdown with 3DS, but nobody to step up and make the same decisions for the west. It would be unthinkable to us right now that the Wii U would have had a different name in the US and EU to Japan, but why if it would have more of an effect on sales or clearer marketing?

Petrae

Business isn't about loyalty or being grateful. It's about what you've done lately, and fiscal year losses & tepid sales outside of Japan fall squarely on Iwata's shoulders as the head of the company. I don't deny that Iwata's had success during his tenure, but that's in the past now. He needs Nintendo to show improvement this year-- otherwise, an ouster is justified.

Hermii

It would make me sad if Iwata leaves. He done a lot of good for the company, and for gaming in general. It worries me what whoever replaces him will do.

If someone at Nintendo should be sacked, I would point the finger at Reggie. Nintendos US marketing is nothing short of horrible.

I have to admit my fondness of Iwata probably has more to do with the fact that I feel Ive gotten to know the man through reading lots of Iwata Asks and he seems like a great guy, than any particular decisions he has made.

squid

Q : If Nintendo continues to miss sales targets do you think that Nintendo may consider creating games for smartphones and SNS networks?

A : Do you eat shit?

Oh man. Kamiya as CEO would be amazing.

Q: Why are you increasing your focus on Japan and ignoring Europe and the US?

A: Whatever. Stupid foreigner...

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
How would an Orbis/Durango-esque console mean more software? Surely it would make it a harder learning curve; increase the price even further and massively increase the risk and reduce software profits?

They can't merge portable/console yet as the power vs cost situation is not there.
Iwata does not have magic fairy dust; his job is to position the company the best he can in the current market.

Because Wii U is more in the power range of 360/PS3 as opposed to Durango/Orbis they will lack the ports seen on those systems. The software droughts and lack of diversity on both 3DS and Wii U show this. If they were to continue with two systems, that needed to be their route unless they had something else compelling enough to sell Wii U. As it stands, a tablet controller isn't it.

A console/portable hybrid could have happened if they wanted to. Of all companies, Nintendo was in the best position to do this considering they are not going for a high end console. After doing some research on ARM processors, Nintendo could have gone with their bigLITTLE approach and gone with an architecture that was compatible for both handheld and console. This would put all Nintendo games on one console and alleviate the first party software droughts. For third party support, they could continue the approach they've been taking with Japanese devs. For western support, they would have to target indie devs.

wsippel

Banned
Such as?

Is this where we pretend indie devs love Nintendo and are going to support Wii U over other platforms?
This really isn't the place, but yes, Nintendo offers excellent terms and conditions, the most freedom, lowest barrier of entry, and does a lot to support and promote indies.

Petrae

The more interesting commonality in this thread is the general belief that Nintendo of America and/or Reggie Fils-Aime are problems that need addressing.

I think there's a split opinion as to Iwata's fate, but the prevailing opinion on NOA/Fils-Aime seems clearer.

Because Wii U is more in the power range of 360/PS3 as opposed to Durango/Orbis they will lack the ports seen on those systems. The software droughts and lack of diversity on both 3DS and Wii U show this.

3DS? Whats that going to get? Anyway Nintendo has pretty much followed the line with generations with handhelds. Just Sony skipped ahead and have gained little from it.

A console/portable hybrid could have happened if they wanted to. Of all companies, Nintendo was in the best position to do this considering they are not going for a high end console. After doing some research on ARM processors, Nintendo could have gone with their bigLITTLE approach and gone with an architecture that was compatible for both handheld and console. This would put all Nintendo games on one console and alleviate the first party software droughts. For third party support, they could continue the approach they've been taking with Japanese devs. For western support, they would have to target indie devs.

What? Am talking price and size; how much would this handheld cost?
Only way the handheld/console system benefits is from being a handheld that happens to work on a TV. It should be affordable to purchase multiple consoles in one household.

Top Bottom