• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

daxy

Compared to Sony and Microsoft they're doing completely terrible.

Don't own a PS3 or Xbox but day one digital releases of retail games is not something I knew these guys were doing. If so, hey, that's cool, but it's also Nintendo we're talking about in comparison to those two.
They've been making great strides so far in relatively unknown territory for them. Miiverse is also pretty promising and super clever conceptually. With some adjustments it could become a big thing.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
This might be a good thing - fresh ideas and all. But, I would also be sad. He's a very likable person in the industry and has built up some great relationships. To be honest, I think he's done outstanding amongst his peers.

This really isn't the place, but yes, Nintendo offers excellent terms and conditions, the most freedom, lowest barrier of entry, and does a lot to support and promote indies.

Which must be why Wii U has nothing remarkable available for download, and 360, PS3 and Steam continue to get more, quality games.

The more interesting commonality in this thread is the general belief that Nintendo of America and/or Reggie Fils-Aime are problems that need addressing.

I think there's a split opinion as to Iwata's fate, but the prevailing opinion on NOA/Fils-Aime seems clearer.

Yeah, I think there are big issues at NoA that need addressed and while there seem to be moves further down the ladder - the eShop expansion and the staff working there seem to be well-regarded - there need to be changes at the top.

wsippel

Banned
Because Wii U is more in the power range of 360/PS3 as opposed to Durango/Orbis they will lack the ports seen on those systems. The software droughts and lack of diversity on both 3DS and Wii U show this. If they were to continue with two systems, that needed to be their route unless they had something else compelling enough to sell Wii U. As it stands, a tablet controller isn't it.

A console/portable hybrid could have happened if they wanted to. Of all companies, Nintendo was in the best position to do this considering they are not going for a high end console. After doing some research on ARM processors, Nintendo could have gone with their bigLITTLE approach and gone with an architecture that was compatible for both handheld and console. This would put all Nintendo games on one console and alleviate the first party software droughts. For third party support, they could continue the approach they've been taking with Japanese devs. For western support, they would have to target indie devs.
Such a hybrid would be a lot less powerful than even the Wii U (because physics), so it definitely wouldn't help with Durorbis ports. At all.

JDSN

Banned
Gentlemen, we have reached panic mode Nintendo. I hope that goal is achieved, he has become an integral face of the company overcoming Miyamoto and Reggie for a while now, going back to them would mean tons of "Nintendo does not comment on rumors" crap.

Such a hybrid would be a lot less powerful than even the Wii U (because physics), so it definitely wouldn't help with Durorbis ports. At all.

Yup. I'd imagine you'd be looking at something between Wii U and 3DS in terms of power, with all the issues that entails - handheld devs struggling with the move to 3DS/Vita level being asked to take on a more powerful, more expensive system? Being even further back in terms of home console power? etc. etc.

Valnen

Wii's enormous numbers aren't something investors should expect on a regular basis. I fucking hate investors, going public ruins perfectly good companies.

Effect

Holy Michael Fucking Pachter! Jezz I hope never to see that day!

Same. The only thing that will stop that is if Iwata makes NoA and NoE get off their asses and sell their damn products. Nintendo of America has been absolutely horrible the last several years. It continues to be horrible when it comes to selling Nintendo's own games and hardware to people. They sell inspite of what NoA is doing but they could be doing significantly better. I firmly believe that and it continues even now with the Wii U and Fire Emblem (that TV commercial is bad). NoE I actually though had a good commercial explicitly saying the Wii U was a brand new console yet it seems the commercial that was taken down has not been fixed or replaced. There is no wonder sales are horrible there.

I don't want to hear or read about Iwata taking responsibility. I want to see action on his part. Action that will be noticeable by improvements in regard to NoA and NoE in how they interact with customers, advertise, and general try to sell their products with a clear and non-confusing message.

If he can't do that then perhaps he deserves to be replaced and if the investors are so short sighted perhaps they deserve to loss their investments completely as well.

Tobor

Good riddance, as he seems incapable of making the necessary changes needed to move Nintendo forward.

Has he even fired anyone? Who's in charge of their online services? Fire that clown! Apple fired one of its Vice Presidents over Maps, why isn't Nintendo doing the same?

Why hasn't Reggie been fired, for that matter? If Iwata's unwilling to do what needs to be done, he should resign.

Which must be why Wii U has nothing remarkable available for download, and 360, PS3 and Steam continue to get more, quality games.

The system came out not long ago.

I won't call them out but a well known(hehehe) indie developer has expressed publicly that basically they hate dealing with putting their games on the 360.

CJ_75

Someday, I think Apple will buy Nintendo for their casual and deeper games.
I think Apple will bring out an HDTV with an high performance CPU/GPU integrated in the TV set. No console, just a HDTV with a remote/controller. Games to be distributed via the integrated Games/Movies/Apps/Music Store.

Integration is all Apple is about.

... or Nintendo is the next Sega and brings out their games on different platforms.

Bumhead

Banned
Would make me sad. Lets see how ps720 do before we blame Iwata.

Why?

Sony and Microsoft's position has zero relevance on Nintendo. If Nintendo are failing to the point where the CEO is thinking of resigning, or being pushed into a position where he has to resign, that's because of Nintendo, not Sony and Microsoft.

I suspect your post is little more than hoping the PS4 and Xbox fail on the same level so it lessens the perceived failure of the Wii U and Iwata gets to keep his job. If so, that's not how business works and you should probably grow up a bit.

Guess Who

Banned
Someday, I think Apple will buy Nintendo for their casual and deeper games.

Apple's a software and hardware company, not a content company. I don't think they have a single interest in developing video games any more than they want to make films.

People really assume regional branches have more autonomy than they actually have.

Of course, people also assume presidents do things they don't like out of personal spite for them, so it's not hard to see the connection.

Somnid

Yeah, I think there are big issues at NoA that need addressed and while there seem to be moves further down the ladder - the eShop expansion and the staff working there seem to be well-regarded - there need to be changes at the top.

It sounds a lot like they plan to address some of this (ie release schedule). I still think that they could be a bigger western presence by buying or forming a few more western studios like Retro who create some more western flavored games. I think it could go a long way and fill in some gaps.

Petrae

The platform came out two months ago. Games aren't developed over night.

I'd be fine with this explanation except for the fact that WiiU has been a thing for nearly two years, even if the retail version is only a couple of months old.

There's been time to get stuff done. Two months really isn't a valid excuse.

also

Banned
Really? Cause Mikami still has his head last time I checked. :p And Wada somehow still has his job despite driving S-E in the fucking ground over the course of this gen.
I thought Mikami's quote was misinterpreted and taken too literally. Didn't it actually mean that he would quit his job at Capcom, which he kind of did by moving to Clover and then later to Platinum and Tango?

CJ_75

Apple's a software and hardware company, not a content company. I don't think they have a single interest in developing video games any more than they want to make films.

Exactly. You will get a lot of content if you buy Nintendo and let them do things they are really good at; making great games. Apple could just focus on the hardware and software side of things.

Iwata is a very sympathic man but I hope if he may resign, Nintendo will be more Core Gaming oriented like the previously Nintendo before Wii released. That means more hardware power, real Zeldas (SwS wasn't a real Zelda imo, too casual oriented), much better 3rd party support and new IPs.

ozfunghi

Iwata got "hot potatoe" Gamecube thrown in his lap, yet after that, the company took off again. Wii and DS were huge successes, 3DS is doing well (now) too. So, if this decission is based on WiiU faltering in its first months, it seems insane and premature. Iwata has always (usually) come off as humble and honest, in stark contrast to Reggie. Dump THAT guy, and get someone that can position Nintendo in the US/EU.

WiiU sales in Japan aren't exactly booming, but we all know if Nintendo announces one of their hits, that will change in a heartbeat.

Petrae

People really assume regional branches have more autonomy than they actually have.

Of course, people also assume presidents do things they don't like out of personal spite for them, so it's not hard to see the connection.

I don't necessarily disagree that NOA doesn't make a lot of decisions without direction from HQ. This is where Iwata bears some added responsibility for weaker performance in the US.

I stand by my assessment that Fils-Aime is the problem. That can be fixed by making a move. Getting a different face and personality out there to sell Nintendo products rather than taking a bully-style approach when the company is struggling makes sense.

sd28821

Why?

Sony and Microsoft's position has zero relevance on Nintendo. If Nintendo are failing to the point where the CEO is thinking of resigning, or being pushed into a position where he has to resign, that's because of Nintendo, not Sony and Microsoft.

I suspect your post is little more than hoping the PS4 and Xbox fail on the same level so it lessens the perceived failure of the Wii U and Iwata gets to keep his job. If so, that's not how business works and you should probably grow up a bit.

i think your the one who is seeing more than is nesssary and needs to grow up

deviljho

"he may resign"

1271178_o.gif

Iwata's already on the right track considering Nintendo's strengths and weaknesses. Software development needs to be expanded and streamlined to a point that nears autarky, especially if the price of third party support is going toe to toe against MS and Sony. As disappointed as many techies are, this also suggests they were too aggressive with specifications; day one hardware profitability should be the goal from the very start even if it means serious horsepower concessions.

For Nintendo's position, it's hard to imagine any other viable directions. The rest of the industry certainly doesn't provide any guidance. Going whole hog into iOS and mobile would never ever even come close to producing a small fraction of what the 3DS will earn for them over its lifetime. Reentering the console hardware arms race would be a similarly futile maneuver; as much as it is in fashion to laud MS and Sony, getting where they are requires losses far greater and for much longer than anything Nintendo has ever experienced.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
It's threads like this that make me lose faith in Neogaf.

Not to cast aside those offering thoughtful comments, but so many posts from people who have obviously never worked in a corporate environment offering simple explanations. For a stark example, posting tripe like "what the F does X do anyway?"

wsippel

Banned
I'd be fine with this explanation except for the fact that WiiU has been a thing for nearly two years, even if the retail version is only a couple of months old.

There's been time to get stuff done. Two months really isn't a valid excuse.
Two years? Final devkits didn't come out until late 2011/ early 2012. And as it's always the case, early kits are handmade, rare and expensive, not to mention highly confidential.

TunaLover

This make me remember the time when Yamauchi said that he could drop the Gamecube launch if it was failed to surprise/excite people.

1-D_FTW

Might not be the worst thing personally. I thought he looked terrible in those last videos. Like he'd been the President of a superpower country for the last 8 years. He's aged well beyond his years IMO.

Petrae

Two years? Final devkits didn't come out until late 2011/ early 2012. And as it's always the case, early kits are handmade, rare and expensive, not to mention highly confidential.

The big mistake was showing WiiU in June of 2011 at E3 when Nintendo clearly wasn't ready. Despite readiness, that was more than 18 months ago-- and if Nintendo wasn't able to either create or facilitate software being ready once its hand was tipped, then there should be no sympathy nor free pass for the company here.

...and crucially for the indie side of things, out of reach of all but the very well-connected, I'd imagine. If Nintendo's push to make that side of their console more appealing is going to bear fruit, it's going to be a bit further down the line I think.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
If Iwata quit, I really would be pessimistic about Nintendo's future. Think he's one of the best in the business.

JDamiso

Banned
In my opinion I think Nintendo made a mistake with Wii U when it comes to its 'hook'. Before Wii U was unveiled I was expecting some type a cool interface that would change gaming forever and would take the world by storm and sell like hotcakes. Then I saw the touchscreen controller and I was like meh. Iwata should have tried to make the Wii U as disruptive as the Wii was. Nintendo should have gone all out and made an innovative 'hook' for the Wii U that would wow the masses much like motion controls did.

I know it is much easier said than done to come out with something with such wow factor as motion controls. Perhaps Nintendo just ran out of ideas and a touchscreen controller was the best they can come up with at the time.

wsippel

Banned
The big mistake was showing WiiU in June of 2011 at E3 when Nintendo clearly wasn't ready. Despite readiness, that was more than 18 months ago-- and if Nintendo wasn't able to either create or facilitate software being ready once its hand was tipped, then there should be no sympathy nor free pass for the company here.
You know, while that certainly is an issue (the main issue, actually), you're not forced to buy a platform at launch. They had to launch a new platform, so they did. Even though there wasn't much software. And they were apparently well aware of that, which is why they did surprisingly little marketing.

yon61

Might not be the worst thing personally. I thought he looked terrible in those last videos. Like he'd been the President of a superpower country for the last 8 years. He's aged well beyond his years IMO.

Thought I was the only one who noticed him looking visibly haggard in the latest Direct. He knows he's under massive pressure.

DrWong

With this sort of commitment from Iwata we can expect a big linup for the next fiscal year. I mean, really big.

I hope.

Well, isn't he the one that made Nintendo public? He was sliced by the axe he sharpened.

If Nintendo remained private, it's corporate condition would be a bit stronger by now.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Gemüsepizza;47123863 said:
They should get Ken Kutaragi as successor.

You know, Kutaragi-san is probably the only person who would have given us the Nintendo ON...

Well, isn't he the one that made Nintendo public? He was sliced by the axe he sharpened.

If Nintendo remained private, it's corporate condition would be a bit stronger by now.
That would be Yamauchi in 1962. You were close, though ;)

Top Bottom