• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on 3rd-Party support on Wii U and 3DS

Is it that hard to put someone in these meetings and ask directly the problem and respond to these non sense he just just said?

I don't see any third party support for the Wii U so I don't know what he's talking about. What's coming out this year besides the Lego Hobbit game?

In terms of retail, third-party games?

02/05
Japan
Monster Hunter Frontier G (Memorial Package)

02/06
Japan
Puyo Puyo Tetris

02/07
North America
The LEGO Movie Videogame

02/14
Europe
The LEGO Movie Videogame

03/07
Europe
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures

04/08
North America
LEGO The Hobbit

Spring 2014
North America
The Amazing Spiderman 2

Q3 2014
North America
Project Cars

That's all the third-party support that's confirmed as of right now. Watch_Dogs is up in the air, and we have no idea if Puyo Puyo Tetris, Dragon Quest X, or Monster Hunter Frontier G: Memorial Package will ever hit overseas.

Steroyd

Er... has there been ANY big name 3DS title that came from the west and was worth buying? I'm drawing w blank here.

How that translates to Wii U support I'll never know.

Linkhero1

02/05
Japan
Monster Hunter Frontier G (Memorial Package)

02/06
Japan
Puyo Puyo Tetris

02/07
North America
The LEGO Movie Videogame

02/14
Europe
The LEGO Movie Videogame

03/07
Europe
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures

03/25
North America
Jett Tailfin Racers

04/08
North America
LEGO The Hobbit

Spring 2014
North America
The Amazing Spiderman 2

Q3 2014
North America
Project Cars

That's all the third-party support that's confirmed as of right now. Watch_Dogs is up in the air, and we have no idea if Puyo Puyo Tetris, Dragon Quest X, or Monster Hunter Frontier G: Memorial Package will ever hit overseas.
I look at this lineup and can't help but shed a single tear.

Shaanyboi

Banned
With regard to Wii U, we first need to create a strong foundation in areas Nintendo excels at and achieve a sufficient sales volume. If we manage to do so, those publishers in the overseas markets who are currently not interested in Wii U will be attracted to the Wii U platform, as they were to Nintendo 3DS. This is going to be our approach in the near future.
I would say this seems misguided. The problem is is that they haven't created an environment where these kinds of third party games do well. Cultivate and attract the audience that's into games like AC, CoD, or whatever else and third parties will follow that userbase. Don't just focus on "what you excel at". Improve where you're weaker

MarkusRJR

So, he is saying that if they can build a sufficient platform of users who do not have interest in buying games from the major third parties that the major third parties will become interested.

I don't get it.
Then he specifically mentions the 3DS's third party situation in the west as an example of how the Wii U's third party situation can change. The problem with that is of course the fact that there is basically zero western third party support on 3DS beyond licensed crap.

"those publishers in the overseas markets who are currently not interested in Wii U will be attracted to the Wii U platform, as they were to Nintendo 3DS."

Probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. I'm honestly wondering if any of the investors even believe the insane shit that's been coming out of the higher ups lately.

Prine

Banned
Good dodging. Japanese market and 3DS used to explain WiiU stiuation. Keep up the good work Iwata you pleb.

Guevara

The Gamecube only sold 22M units, but sold significantly more software than the 3DS, at 42M sold. The 3DS just doesn't move software.

To me it points to weakness in general in handhelds, but also that people are much less willing to buy $40 games (probably because of cheap and 'free' mobile games). It also seems like fewer publishers are making games for the system because of this softening.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Many people say that when a platform loses its momentum, it tends to receive little third-party support, but I think it is not a matter of the number of titles but the real problem lies in the availability of popular software that is selling explosively. You might somehow misunderstand that Wii had a lot of games from the start, but Wii and Wii U had a similar number of titles in their launch periods. However, Wii had “Wii Sports,” a title that could be enjoyed alone or with a group of people, whose appeal was easy to understand and communicated itself widely. Many people have said that “Nintendo Land” is a great game to play with a group of people, but its single-player experiences have not been received as well. As a result, “Nintendo Land” differed in its ability to appeal to consumers and communicate its simplicity. Of course, we have to learn from our mistake in the first half of last year in which we failed to release a sufficient amount of software, but the reason that became such a serious problem was because there weren’t enough titles that sold over an extended period, continued to provide buzz in society and remained active. This is more of a question of quality, not quantity, and the problem is that we have not been able to release winning hits. Creating winning hits is something that I always discuss with Mr. Miyamoto.

It feels like they are still content with taking exactly one swing at a Wii Sports style system selling success with something like Nintendo Land, and then cashing in with the same franchises they've had since the Gamecube era. Going by these quotes, it seems like they really do think the biggest problem with the Wii U is Nintendo Land just wasn't marketed very well.

Do they really not understand how freaking impossible it is for any company to rely on a Wii Sports coming to save them once every console cycle? Especially if you're only going to take exactly one shot at it before retreating back to your safe Mario and Zelda games that might have good attach rates, but absolutely no shot at being that big hit that you've apparently staked the entirety of your system on.

We already knew the Wii U was beyond saving, but after these statements, I'm completely convinced the successor has no chance of succeeding either. These guys really don't get it.

LAA

Ha ha yeah, as others pointed out "Japanese market."
Even then, I can't really think of many 3DS games catching my eye for this year...at least yet. All I know is Smash Bros and Layton VS AA are on my list (And Majoras Mask 3D if that ends up being a thing).
As for Wii U, yeah I can't see them getting the 3rd party support they need. I think its a lost cause at this point. I mean cancelled dlc. I've never heard of such a thing. There are many issues with Nintendo just in terms of technology alone which stops 3rd party coming over, but I think the biggest problem is their focus on being child/family friendly. As long as they promote that image, the more less games will come to their platforms (Well apart from games focused at children/family sure). Though I admit, I saw the Monolith X trailers recently and this game alone makes me feel happy for owning a Wii U alone, ha ha. I think if this released now the Wii U would be looked at in a much more positive light and may help to further push the image "Nintendo isnt just for kids." Bayonetta 2 will help there too.

I do think it may just really be for the best if Nintendo goes 3rd party though eventually, depending on their future moves. Its just very ignorant of them that the Wii U has turned out how it has. People were seeing issues with the Wii throughout its life with the lack of 3rd party games, but of course all Nintendo saw was how much money the Wii made them and it made them ignorant to change and improve things for their next console and now it hasnt turned out like how they've hoped. Money shouldn't alone be what classes your product as success, but also how much it is used. For me at least, the Wii was used for a period after receiving it and enjoying it immensly, then I moved onto 360 and ended up using that a HELL of a lot more in total, occassionally going back to the Wii for certain exclusive games.

There is one device I'm finding myself playing more and more of and that is funnily enough, the Vita, ha ha. I really do love the Vita. Toukiden demo has got my attention and its now been pre-ordered, the character models espicially look amazing for the Vita. They seem pretty much PS3 quality!...and of course the game is fun too, ha ha. It gives me vibes of MH, Soul Sacrifice and Dynasty Warriors all in the same package, and all the good things about them for that matter. Playing this also got me back into playing Soul Sacrifice again to try beating this mission for defeating 2 Illcebras...which I still can't do, ha ha.
Then I got a bunch of PSP/PS1 games for Vita recently due to the Final Fantasy Sale and I wanted to play God Eater again (Which really makes me want to hope for God Eater 2 being localised for Vita!)
It probably really is my no. 1 played console atm, really sad and annoying it isnt taken advantage of more.

Seik

Banned
Also, we sometimes distribute, or even publish depending on the circumstances, games that were made by Japanese software publishers in the overseas markets, and you can expect to see more examples of this this year and the next.

Good, now bring that Puyo Puyo X Tetris game heeeere!

As long as Nintendo keeps delivering their exclusives, I'll be happy. PS4+Wii U = match made in heaven. Best of both worlds

Mlatador

Banned
Also, we sometimes distribute, or even publish depending on the circumstances, games that were made by Japanese software publishers in the overseas markets, and you can expect to see more examples of this this year and the next.

I'm almost sure this means that an HD port of Monster Hunter 4 for Wii U will come out sometime in 2015. You can mark my words.

Not only does Capcom have enough time (about 1 year) to produce such a port, it will then also be published and distributed by Nintendo again, which is a huge plus. They literally ONLY have to do an HD port and everything else is gonna be taken care of. That makes too much sense financially, considering they can a) further expand their western audience for Mohun and b) be even more profitable than MH3U, which they themselves said was a financial success (and by all means it DID sell pretty decently), due to the higher install base in 2015.

Weilthain

Banned
People play 3rd party games. Nintendo makes a system that doesn't play the latest and greates 3rd party games.

This is basically Nintendo's only option though at the moment. How is Nintendo supposed to strengthen the areas that they're weak at exactly? Moneyhatting major 3rd parties to the current wii u environment would almost certainly cost far too much money to be viable, and they simply don't have any experience in making their own games for the genres in question. Nintendo is great at making games, but that doesn't mean it'd be easy to break into a genre they have no real experience with. And before someone brings up Metroid prime as an FPS, it's extremely different to the dudebro, call of duty type FPS that is super popular. It's designed around single player and exploration and is really only similar in that its first person and you shoot things. The whole design philosophy is entirely different (Which is probably why when they did try to implement multiplayer to MP, it wasn't well received)

Iwata said:
Software publishers that develop content that has great affinity with audiences that Nintendo has historically been strong with, namely children and families, are still very active supporters of Wii U, and their enthusiasm for Wii U can also been seen from the fact that they have even reached out to us to help people upgrade from Wii to Wii U.

Is this even true? Isn't everything tanking on Wii U, including "children and family" games like Sonic?

Iwata said:
On the other hand, software publishers are not necessarily keen on making games in genres that have weaker affinity with audiences that Nintendo has not been as strong with, where making a huge investment does not guarantee a sufficient return.

Which is, like, most of the important third-party games. And those games coincidentally also appeal to children because kids don't actually like being "targeted." They want to play what big kids play.

All I got from this statement is that third party support is going to stay exactly the same as it is on Wii U at the moment. Just a very long-winded way of saying it. It's the same response every single time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

03/25
North America
Jett Tailfin Racers

This was a 2.99 game on Android, where it came out several years ago, I doubt it is getting a retail release. Also the game's website is down.

Q3 2014
North America
Project Cars

The dev team doesn't have a publisher yet, so it's unclear to me how they will have a retail release. I suspect they will find a publisher in time, of course, but is it a guarantee that the publisher will be able to release Project Cars Wii U at retail? I'm not so sure. I would expect their primary target audience given the platforms and subject matter is the European PC retail market and the global PC DD market. It's clearly the kind of title that /could/ get a retail release, based on scope or whatever, but I wouldn't mark it down as confirmed.

Shiggy

All I got from this statement is that third party support is going to stay exactly the same as it is on Wii U at the moment. Just a very long-winded way of saying it. It's the same response every single time.

"Please understand, nothing will change. But we expect Wii U to gain momentum."

KiTA

-SNIP-

Hooooly crap, that's an abysmal list. I knew the WiiU was doing bad, but... damn.

But hey, the worse it does the better the odds are someone will localize DQX just to say it has SOMETHING to play on it, so there's something, right?

18-Volt

Come on Iwata, just close the NoA and NoE branches and make Nintendo solely Japan exclusive company. You don't understand the world outside of Japan and you never will. Things don't work there like they do in Japan. No publisher worships Nintendo outside of Japan.

With regard to Wii U, we first need to create a strong foundation in areas Nintendo excels at and achieve a sufficient sales volume. If we manage to do so, those publishers in the overseas markets who are currently not interested in Wii U will be attracted to the Wii U platform, as they were to Nintendo 3DS.

What is the areas Nintendo excels at? Making a family console? Isn't that what the Wii was and how did everything turned out for 3rd party support? Iwata is out of his mind. He just can't comprehend the fact that handheld success can't be used as a footprint for console. Sure, 3ds got support from Japanese dev because that's the strongest market for a handheld console but the market is shrinking globally.

Keyouta

With regard to Wii U, we first need to create a strong foundation in areas Nintendo excels at and achieve a sufficient sales volume. If we manage to do so, those publishers in the overseas markets who are currently not interested in Wii U will be attracted to the Wii U platform, as they were to Nintendo 3DS. This is going to be our approach in the near future.
So expect no third party support. Their 3rd Party situation doesn't change.

Lebon14

My reaction to that statement;
You don't say?

I mean, come on, you are stating the obvious. Problem is elsewhere, Nintendo, and you already dismissed as "not a problem". Ie. Marketing, gamepad value...

Cheerilee

Iwata said:
Finally, in terms of third-party support, while many point out that Nintendo has traditionally been weak in terms of acquiring it, if you consider the Japanese market, it is fair to say that the number one dedicated video game system that Japanese third-party publishers are focusing on is Nintendo 3DS. This is because Nintendo 3DS has an overwhelmingly strong presence in the hardware as well as software markets for dedicated game systems, meaning that it would be illogical not to do business on Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo doesn't know how to gain third party support unless they literally control the market, at which point people have no choice but to obey Nintendo. So their plan to regain Wii U support is... ummm... control the market? Yeah, that'll work. I'm amazed that this company survived the PlayStation Portable.

I really think Nintendo needs to be considered as three separate entities, management, hardware, and software, not just hardware and software. Hardware and software are both major strengths of Nintendo, and when they work together they can change the world, but Nintendo's management is so incompetent, it's staggering. People blame Nintendo's hardware department for Nintendo's failure as a platform, but they're frequently brilliant and innovative. It's Nintendo's management that makes Nintendo's platform people's last choice platform to work on.

And I'm willing to put this all on Iwata. Yamauchi was a dick in the NES days, and he lost 50% marketshare with the SNES, but those failings can be ignored. The big failure, and the beginning of Nintendo's irrelevance, was the N64. That was the one to learn from. And that's when Yamauchi brought Iwata in, to help with management. Nintendo, with Iwata's involvement (or bumbling), tried to rebuild following the N64, did a half-assed job, and failed. But Iwata's takeaway from that failure was "don't try". Iwata can see the flaws in Nintendo, but he does nothing to fix them. And he was rewarded for that miserable attitude with the Wii, which might have been the worst thing that could've happened to Nintendo's management. And it seems Iwata has learned nothing from the failure of the Wii U. The guy is poison for Nintendo.

If Nintendo wants third parties on the Wii U they will need to aggressively court them. This "build it and they will come" approach clearly DOES NOT WORK.

Holy fuck he's been saying the same damn thing since the Gamecube, this is unreal.

He needs to go........

This was a 2.99 game on Android, where it came out several years ago, I doubt it is getting a retail release. Also the game's website is down.

I seem to remember they announced it for retail way back then, but it definitely doesn't surprise me if the game won't actually end up releasing in any capacity.

Sandfox

I agree with some of things Iwata says and it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Seriously, dream on Iwata. Did you forget the Wii. A massive success with bugger all games catering to that spec-oriented audience you talked about. By the time you get enough Wii U's for them to be interested (10, 20m?) PS4 and XBO would be miles ahead and you'll be nearing peak/downside of the generation and why would they greenlight a Wii U version of a title that's 2 years away. At best you'll get some ports of stuff that's been out for a couile of years.

IMO Iwata is just trying to pretend that the Wii U isn't dead to prevent it from being put in an even worse position before the year is up.

AzaK

Seriously, dream on Iwata. Did you forget the Wii. A massive success with bugger all games catering to that spec-oriented audience you talked about. By the time you get enough Wii U's for them to be interested (10, 20m?) PS4 and XBO would be miles ahead and you'll be nearing peak/downside of the generation and why would they greenlight a Wii U version of a title that's 2 years away. At best you'll get some ports of stuff that's been out for a couile of years.

Western third parties delving into the handheld "ghetto" I'll believe that when I see it.

It's always hard to tell whether Iwata is entirely out of touch with reality and actually believes his words, or is just a consummate snake oil salesman.

Satoru Iwata said:

This means they'll persist their kiddy/family/casual approach from these last years. If they do so, nothing will change at all and these words will be nothing than empty promises as usual coming from Iwata. They need to drop this approach, this haven't been working, it's stupid to persist this strategy under their current situation.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
"We need to"... "We should"... "It appears".

More vague future talk. This guy is a complete clown.

"We need to"... "We should"... "It appears".

More vague future talk. This guy is a complete clown.

Who stacked the Board with a bunch of yes-men and is purchasing stock to prevent a hostile takeover! Maybe Iwata isn't as much of a clown as you think he is...at least regarding his reign of tyranny. :p

Ollie Pooch

Who stacked the Board with a bunch of yes-men and is purchasing stock to prevent a hostile takeover! Maybe Iwata isn't as much of a clown as you think he is...at least regarding his reign of tyranny. :p
Haha! Well that remains to be seen ;)

I just can't with this guy stating the frickin' obvious and his constant talk with no action. He's even referring to their next platform while barely addressing the crisis for the current one! Eugh.

Haha! Well that remains to be seen ;)

I just can't with this guy stating the frickin' obvious and his constant talk with no action. He's even referring to their next platform while barely addressing the crisis for the current one! Eugh.
Because the wii u is pretty much dead at this point and he knows it. There really isn't anything that can be done to save the wii u. Nintendo is just buying time now to get to a new product because the wii u just didn't work out well for them. Or do you have some brilliant idea on how the wii u could be saved? And no, hemorrhaging money to money hat any of the major 3rd parties into developing for the wii u is really not a viable option

Yagami_Sama

Wait for some third parties to release some of their AAA games for Wii U,at least for now it is not a good idea and won't change anything.

The deal that Nintendo did with Platinum was unsuspected and brilliant. For now Nintendo should do the same. Reach some studios like Sega, mainly because of Atlus, Square, Capcom, Konami and try to put their popular IPs on WIi U.

Ollie Pooch

Because the wii u is pretty much dead at this point and he knows it. There really isn't anything that can be done to save the wii u. Nintendo is just buying time now to get to a new product because the wii u just didn't work out well for them. Or do you have some brilliant idea on how the wii u could be saved? And no, hemorrhaging money to money hat any of the major 3rd parties into developing for the wii u is really not a viable option
No, I don't really have a brilliant idea on how to save it, but that ain't my job ;) It just seems like he's been saying this same thing, or some variation thereof, for years now and nothing's changed.

VariantX

This is basically Nintendo's only option though at the moment. How is Nintendo supposed to strengthen the areas that they're weak at exactly? Moneyhatting major 3rd parties to the current wii u environment would almost certainly cost far too much money to be viable, and they simply don't have any experience in making their own games for the genres in question. Nintendo is great at making games, but that doesn't mean it'd be easy to break into a genre they have no real experience with. And before someone brings up Metroid prime as an FPS, it's extremely different to the dudebro, call of duty type FPS that is super popular. It's designed around single player and exploration and is really only similar in that its first person and you shoot things. The whole design philosophy is entirely different (Which is probably why when they did try to implement multiplayer to MP, it wasn't well received)

When you are lacking in expertise or understanding of something, you go and get people who do have what you lack, not throw up your hands and act like there's no other solution to the problem.

Log4Girlz

Considering the abysmal support...how much longer can the Wii U be supported in retail? It almost looks to me that after the 2014 holiday they'll be forced to pull the plug.

Wait for some third parties to release some of their AAA games for Wii U,at least for now it is not a good idea and won't change anything.

The deal that Nintendo did with Platinum was unsuspected and brilliant. For now Nintendo should do the same. Reach some studios like Sega, mainly because of Atlus, Square, Capcom, Konami and try to put their popular IPs on WIi U.
They're already doing that though (Sonic Lost Worlds is a thing). But if the third parties don't see an audience, it really won't work out unless Nintendo pays more money than they can really afford to (and it still probably won't help much). Pretty much the only people Nintendo can really get at this point are small guys like Platinum and that clearly hasn't worked out very well for them.

rpmurphy

I do hope that the 3DS base here in NA will finally prod 3rd party publishers here to make games other than licensed IP stuff. It would be nice to get more games localized here too that were passed over.

Top Bottom