• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata on third parties, hundreds of inquiries since GDC about Nintendo Web Framework

onipex

3rd parties don't regret skipping Wii, and they aren't going to regret skipping Wii U judging from initial 3rd party game sales.

Many weren't planning support before it launched and wouldn't regret anything even if sales were great. The games that are coming started development at least a year ago. I guess its good that Nintendo still has hope.

I hope Nintendo continues to try and get smaller devs,team up with then, and team up with the big third parties that are already supporting them . They need to continue publishing and marketing deals and offer whatever they can to keep what they have and build on it greatly. Most of all though they really need to crank out first party software like there is no tomorrow.

Bonk

It is the same cycle every time Nintendo launches a console.

A bunch of people crying over no games, no third party support and an underpowered console.

While I can understand the no games part, I have no doubt at all that Nintendo will put out a solid library in the short term and even more so in the long term. I think they have shown that with the 3DS recently.

Regarding 3rd party support, what should Iwata do? Buy exclusives? Did not help them with the GameCube and is rather expensive. Be the market leader? Did not do anything for them with the wii. Truth is: Nintendo will never have full 3rd party support. Their franchises are too strong and are targeting a demographic, the big publishers simply have no clue to attract (some big exceptions aside). Plus there are two strong platforms where the big publishers can chase that rather narrow (but big) demographic of adolescent male gamers. That was not the case when Nintendo had 3rd party support the last time (NES/SNES).

So they are going for the Indie scene and try to ramp up their own software output. What else should they do?

Joining the technological arms race with MS and Sony? I could not think of a faster way to ruin themselves... They are trying to think outside the box. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. I personally like many of the things they have tried but I have also arranged with the fact that I need an additional console to cover my gaming needs and that won't change.

Reading the vitriol of people who would only buy a Nintendo console if it was a XBox/PS4 clone (read: never) makes my head hurt as much as the delusional hopes that some here have for a spectacular turnaround of Nintendo and their support from big publishers.

But how can you getaway with such a big lie and expect anyone to take you seriously. Marginally better? Let me guess PS4 is a marginal improvement over WiiU and 360/PS3. Because that was what the choir was pritching in those Wii U threads.

My apologies for being so blunt but i don't even know how to aproach such an outrageous statement.

A big lie? Just compare them! People keep posting Kameo and forget games like even MGS3 had areas with tons of grass in it. What made it impressive was the resolution bump and more extensive use of bump/normal mapping as opposed to simply raw polygons. But I'm saying the best of that gen, Ninja Gaiden Black, Doom 3, RE4, MGS3, Splinter Cell:CT, MP2 compared to the launch titles of the 360 and PS3 held up remarkably well

And it's not my fault you're getting pissy about the PS4. If you think it was only Wii U threads where people thought Killzone looked no better than Crysis 3 (which makes no sense. I thought Wii U fanboys didn't play other systems?) then I suggest you going back and reading those threads again...

The thing is, it's starting to become questionable that this is the case. Nintendo could have achieved more parity with competing next gen consoles if they had made smarter design choices and prioritized different things.

For example, rather than work with off-the-shelf parts like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo instead chose to create a more expensive customized chip that would prioritize low-energy consumption and that would generate less heat (so as to make the Wii U as small as possible). The trade-off here is that even though Nintendo's using a more expensive chip, we're not seeing the benefits of this in actual graphical performance which, come to find out, people care about more than making the machine as small and energy conservative as humanly possible. Great ideas, to be sure, but a mistake to prioritize as highly as Iwata did.

The gamepad is also looking more and more like a bad gamble. Iwata could have chosen this gen to evolve the concept of the Wiimote instead of spending precious R&D and raising the price of the hardware to focus on a poor tablet imitation that just doesn't appeal to the market.

Basically, a theoretical Wii 2 -a machine that used more off-the-shelf parts and built upon previous innovations- could have been closer to PS4/Durango in power, an improved wiimote could have functioned as the differentiator, and the thing could have been priced about the same as the Wii U. This would have been an overall smarter move in every imaginable way.

I actually think the gamepad is awesome. Off TV play for the win.

That said, Sony has really made them look foolish with hardware that isn't just more powerful, but also developer friendly. So what if it's PC-like? In this day and age of overlap and resultant crossports, that's simply a good thing. At this point, it wouldn't have hurt Nintendo to at least try going after something similar (i. e. low TDP x86), even if it were less powerful.

Nintendo needs someone like Mark Cerny on board to supervise the design of their next console.

Into

Not even the jeep scene looks better than Nintendoland, no.

Can you show me a video of a section of Nintendoland that looks better than the jeep scene in UC1? Because i am pretty sure ive played all the minigames and nothing was visually impressive even compared to older PS3 and 360 games.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How is underpowered a misunderstanding? Isnt power something quantifiable?
If quantifiable things were never misunderstood the world would have been a much different place.

diaspora

Okay, i disagree, nothing looks visually impressive at all. Lack of detail and all the games are "small" as many mini games are confined to a single "scene".

Most of them look just like any random Xbox Live release

The lighting is heads and shoulders above anything in the uncharted games. The artstyle is ass, but ultimately the game does look better.

Bonk

If quantifiable things were never misunderstood the world would have been a much different place.

Yeah. And while power might be quantifiable, underpowered is still a relative term. Is the wii U underpowered compared to PS4/Next XBox? Most definitely yes. Is it under powered to deliver graphically impressive games? I don't think so.

InPlosion

I will probably sound horribly blunt now, I will rub someone the wrong way I know, but to me, the moment you decide to play on a console, you have already forsaken technical prowness in favor of accessibility.

As such, from my point of view, spending too much time talking/discussing over specs won't bring us to any good. Consoles aren't made with power in mind, that has never been the case. And that's not something subject to change, it seems. PC is where it is at.

What I will agree on, from the technical standpoint, is how troubled wiiu's future looks, given it's architecture: too alien compared to the others. Sony managed to overcome such terrifying hurdle, will nintendo do the same? I'd say yes. They are better poised on the market than sony ever was in 2006/2007.

Daingurse

I like Wonderful 101 very much but Knack is on a whole other level. Like, approaching "photorealism" level.
rh6WDSm.png

The more I look at the Knack the more I want it. Looks like a fucking CGI cartoon.

Wii-U is under-powered, that's a fact. Hamstringing the console with that CPU was idiotic.

Coolwhip

Banned
I will probably sound horribly blunt now, I will rub someone the wrong way I know, but to me, the moment you decide to play on a console, you have already forsaken technical prowness in favor of accessibility.

As such, from my point of view, spending too much time talking/discussing over specs won't bring us to any good. Consoles aren't made with power in mind, that has never been the case. And that's not something subject to change, it seems. PC is where it is at.

What I will agree on, from the technical standpoint, is how troubled wiiu's future looks, given it's architecture: too alien compared to the others. Sony managed to overcome such terrifying hurdle, will nintendo do the same? I'd say yes. They are better poised on the market than sony ever was in 2006/2007.

Is the Wii U so different architecture wise then?

Alebrije

The art is so diffrent in both games that can not be compared , besides Nintendolan was no made to show the console´s power.

Grimhammer

Neo Member
I can't help but think...does Ninny care about gamers? Think about it. Their a business...out to make profit.
Well, that's not happening at the moment. So maybe they'll be forced to care unlike during the Wii years.

If they really wanted to.....couldn't they hire many many more to meet demand? I mean they have the cash right? If they were serious...couldn't they acquire the resources to churn out like a 1st party top notch game a month?

InPlosion

Is the Wii U so different architecture wise then?

I'm not a tech expert, mind you, but I can state that for sure PowerPC is couple of orders of magnitude more familiar than the Cell ever was at its debut, which was totally new and unexplored territory.

I'm sure there is an array of minutiae devs will have to struggle with here and there, like, how to put under adequate load the custom parts of the machine etc.

Log4Girlz

Do you think the Wii U is too powerful? Should they have gone for just Wii levels of performance with the touchscreen controller and priced it at $250?

InPlosion

Do you think the Wii U is too powerful? Should they have gone for just Wii levels of performance with the touchscreen controller and priced it at $250?

Eh, that's bringing my argument to the extreme, so to say :).

I think the pricetag battle is going to be the next interesting battlefield. I'll wait further developments with a bathed breadth.

But how can you getaway with such a big lie and expect anyone to take you seriously.

Jesus! Who are you going to believe, Refreshment or your lying eyes? It took a good long while for me to be impressed with the 360's graphics and I know a lot of now happy 360 owners who felt the same way.

It just wasn't that big of a jump.

Log4Girlz

Jesus! Who are you going to believe, Refreshment or your lying eyes? It took a good long while for me to be impressed with the 360's graphics and I know a lot of now happy 360 owners who felt the same way.

It just wasn't that big of a jump.

With everyone quite confident that we were dealing with launch jitters and rushed games. You had improvements, particularly in resolution. The Wii U has not shown any substantial improvements on its predecessors. People keep touting Need for Speed or Trine 2. If they were running at 1080 p I would agree, but instead they are boasting incredibly modest improvements and to no one's surprise. The entire system only drains 45 watts during use. There is no expectation of any vast improvement. While the Xbox 360's specs screamed of dramatically more powerful hardware than the generation preceding it. Which is something many people like to conveniently forget. The Xbox 360 was full of promise, the Wii U is not.

RedSwirl

Compared to the PS4 I don't think you can dispute that the Wii U just isn't in the same ballpark in terms of raw horsepower. I just wish people would accept that this wasn't incompetence on Nintendo's part, but a conscious decision to devote the cost of the console elsewhere (the control interface). You can debate how stupid/smart that decision was, but let's not pretend Nintendo didn't have a clue as to how powerful Sony's and Microsoft's successor consoles would be.

As for Nintendo fanboy arguments, over a year of analysis and speculation in various threads suggests the Wii U's architecture is more similar to that of the PS4 and next Xbox than it is to the PS3 and 360, just with a lot less raw power. That's why the "seven year-old tech" comments are technically inaccurate. As for how that will pan out, there's no way to know for now.

I can't help but think...does Ninny care about gamers? Think about it. Their a business...out to make profit.
Well, that's not happening at the moment. So maybe they'll be forced to care unlike during the Wii years.

If they really wanted to.....couldn't they hire many many more to meet demand? I mean they have the cash right? If they were serious...couldn't they acquire the resources to churn out like a 1st party top notch game a month?

As opposed to Sony or MS or any other non-profit?

Honestly, it would be a VERY smart thing for indies to make a move into the Wii U now in any way they can, and yes that includes the web development kits.

We can talk about Nintendo being "doomed" all we want, history has shown time and time again though that if nothing else, Nintendo is great at recovering from it's misfortunes.

Right now, there is VERY little competition on the Wii U... it's the perfect time and system to focus on to try and get new brands/titles out from an INDIE perspective. Even if the Wii U sells "only" 20 million in it's life time (an par with the gamecube), that still leaves lots of room to get your brand in and noticed before the harder sales come (and once the big Mario and Zelda titles are out, it will)

As for Nintendo fanboy arguments, over a year of analysis and speculation in various threads suggests the Wii U's architecture is more similar to that of the PS4 and next Xbox than it is to the PS3 and 360, just with a lot less raw power. That's why the "seven year-old tech" comments are technically inaccurate. As for how that will pan out, there's no way to know for now.

Ignoring that the "7 year old" comments are obviously referring to performance and not how "new" the chips are, how do you figure the architecture is more similar to ps4/720? The CPU is IBM three core like the 360, and the CELL also uses an IBM core. The ps4/720 use AMD x86 arch. It's also using a discrete CPU and GPU while the two next gen consoles use a single APU. I'm not an expert by any means, but I would think that's a huge change in architecture going to APU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpOY7YaXiJQ

Things always look better when you remember them. Then you see them again and realize how wrong you were.
A big lie? Just compare them! People keep posting Kameo and forget games like even MGS3 had areas with tons of grass in it. What made it impressive was the resolution bump and more extensive use of bump/normal mapping as opposed to simply raw polygons. But I'm saying the best of that gen, Ninja Gaiden Black, Doom 3, RE4, MGS3, Splinter Cell:CT, MP2 compared to the launch titles of the 360 and PS3 held up remarkably well

And it's not my fault you're getting pissy about the PS4. If you think it was only Wii U threads where people thought Killzone looked no better than Crysis 3 (which makes no sense. I thought Wii U fanboys didn't play other systems?) then I suggest you going back and reading those threads again...

Project Gotham 3, Kameo and Pefect Dark Zero are not marginal improvements over the previous gen, they exhibit a complexity of effects well above what previous gen offered. Then you had previous gen ports running at twice the resolution with better AA, anisotropic filtering, in general with better image quality. Not equal or never worse... but better. How many Wii U ports run from 360 AAA games run at 1080P? Mass Effect, CoD, BAtman?

As you can see it's a world of difference to the situation you have with the Wii U, that's just plain reality.

That's the biggest compliment you could make to KZ 4. A launch game that looks comparable to what a highend PC's which cards that alone would cost what the entire PS4 probably will cost or 80% (asuming a 7950ish card), but yea, biggest kudos you can come up with.

You are just lying to make yourself feel better about the console. Don't know why you need to reach those heights, just accept reality.

Compared to the PS4 I don't think you can dispute that the Wii U just isn't in the same ballpark in terms of raw horsepower. I just wish people would accept that this wasn't incompetence on Nintendo's part, but a conscious decision to devote the cost of the console elsewhere (the control interface). You can debate how stupid/smart that decision was, but let's not pretend Nintendo didn't have a clue as to how powerful Sony's and Microsoft's successor consoles would be.

don't look at incompetence and or stupidity as mutually exclusive but rather a combination of the two

You are just lying to make yourself feel better about the console. Don't know why you need to reach those heights, just accept reality.

because reality can be a cruel bitch sometimes, especially if your a Nintendo fan

test_account

XP-39C²

Consoles have often been made with power in mind though. The "problem" is that they are fixed systems and the hardware cant be upgraded as time goes by, so in comparison to PC, they will fall short behind as time goes by indeed. But power/graphics capabilities are a factor being concidered when they're being made. Its also something being concidered to make sure that the system doesnt feel outdated very fast.

onipex

I like Wonderful 101 very much but Knack is on a whole other level. Like, approaching "photorealism" level.
rh6WDSm.png

To each his own , but nothing about this game looks fun at the moment. It's the cute Sony game that I end up trying because it looks different and usually end up being bored with.

*Yawn*
Oh, comparing it to the weakest last gen console. Surely this wasn't intentional. What's next? Posting current gen bullshots and PS2 launch gen beta screenshots?

The point is the 360 launch titles only looked marginally better than the best of the GC and Xbox 1. The resolution bump was what made the difference seem significant

Which requires a lot more hardware power to pull off...

Wii U can't even manage that. Some cases it's worse.

Game Guru

What kind of backlash are we talking about. As far as I know, it's not like sales of games are swinging in favour to PS3 or something?

Actually, they are swinging back in favor of the PS3 which started with the Slim and Kinect releases. I mean PS3 was doing horribly, but now 360 and PS3 are practically tied in hardware sales. Also, this type of thinking ignores just how numerous 'everyone else' can be, as the success of the Wii can attest to. It also ignores that many core gamers who had bought a 360 before Microsoft started their focus on everyone else... already own a 360 and thus have very little reason to switch to PS3 if they are only a fan of third party franchises. They might jump to PS4 over Durango though.

I don't think the people who buy annual Madden and FIFA, pick up Halo and Gears when they come out, etc. really care that there's also this Kinect thing some people buy the system for to flail around in front of.

15-35 heterosexual middle-class males have always been the dominant force in the market - or at least since the PS1 era when gaming went "mainstream"; they were simply buying different games like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts before people decided to start calling them "dudebro." And then they were supplanted by the "casual," the everyone else, which had previously been an afterthought, as the dominant market force driving the success of the Wii and the NDS.

There is a comparative difference between the PS1-era gamer and the dudebro gamer. I knew what people would call a dudebro gamer in college... He owned a PS2 and only played EA Sports games and GTA. Meanwhile, I find it hard to believe that Kingdom Hearts did not appeal to young children as it was a game based on Disney franchises. I also know that Final Fantasy back in the day appealed to women more. There is a marked difference between the audience for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts and the audience for GTA and Halo.

As a self-proclaimed "dudebro" myself I agree with you. That being said, dudebros aren't as close-minded as many would think. I think the main core gamer demographic (14-35 year old males, many of which GAF would consider Dudebro, and the core gamer females) are at odds with what everyone else who is not them want from video games. Nintendo went after "everyone else" with the Wii, yet strangely tried to get an audience they shunned by creating the Wii U.

With the Wii U seemingly being a half-assed product aimed at casuals and core, Iwata saying they'll have "revenge" on the third parties who shunned the Wii U baffles me.

I'll admit that using the term dudebro is a generalization as I myself know of many who are fans of games that would fall under that label. Hell, I myself am a fan of the GTA series though I prefer Saints Row now, am interested in Mass Effect, and have tried my hand at Halo and Gears, though I have not gotten into either. I also won't say that trying to win the core wasn't a bad decision for Nintendo. I mean, if these companies wouldn't even support the Wii, they ain't going to support anything from Nintendo unless they make a box exactly like the other two and even I doubt they will do that even then. Nintendo should really just have continued down their own path.

Top Bottom