• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata says Nintendo will definitively embrace universal accounts in the future

That's a HUGE assumption to make. I don't see how that's something that can just be assumed. There is no guarantee of backwards compatibility, let alone any assurances that current purchases will carry forward into any hypothetical account system. We don't even know how any such system may work.
This cannot be stated enough. Do not assume when it comes to Nintendo and this situation. If anything, you should assume they're gonna manage to find a fucke up way of doing it that doesn't address the problem.

They don't refer to their next batch of hardware systems with "platform", they refer to their overall hardware ecosystem, which includes 3DS & Wii U.

23.jpg

That's a good decision, now bring it fast.

Goliath

LOL...Nintendo will embrace ANYTHING at this point if you promise to buy their products. They really need to look at the market and invest all the money they are saving with the heads taking a 30% pay cut and put that into market research.

Or they can do one simple thing. MAKE IT EASY TO PORT GAMES. Easy as that, if they could easily port PS4/XB1 to the Wii U it wouldn't be in it's current situation but instead they wanna make a console sooo different and they expect 3rd party devs to figure out how to work around their new strange hardware, online and control schemes. That is not working well for them. Wii was still left out of many top games and that system sold well.

Kater

Banned
That's some good news! I'm kind of excited of what results we'll get to see from Nintendo's new plans (QOL, Standard Account system, ongoing merging of the two Hardware teams, etc)

Fabulous times await (, probabably)! :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Future platforms? C'mon man.

It's been said a ton already (on this page even), but "Nintendo's future platform" = NNID. The NNID will be a device-agnostic platform used to connect with consumers. That's their plan.

Whoever translated that English slide fucked up by making it plural.

Elija2

They knew that people wanted universal accounts in 2007. 7 years and 2 platforms later and we still don't have it. Nintendo are ridiculous.

The Boat

That's a HUGE assumption to make. I don't see how that's something that can just be assumed. There is no guarantee of backwards compatibility, let alone any assurances that current purchases will carry forward into any hypothetical account system. We don't even know how any such system may work.
"In addition, we tried to encourage consumers to upgrade from an existing handheld device to a new handheld device, or from an existing console to a new console, by providing backward compatibility that enabled them to take their software assets from their existing system. However, we became disconnected with our consumers with the launch of each new device as we could only form device-based relationships."

"This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems"

"Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them. "

He uses backward compatibility tied to hardware as an introduction to an account based system and specifically says they'll use the current NNIDs. The games you buy digitally are tied to the NNIDs.

Now, we don't know if the next consoles will be backwards compatible, it could be a PS4 scenario, but the purchases we make now will stay on our account and that is the problem with the lack of an account system. It's important to realize that we already have accounts, they're just tied to hardware.

Quixzlizx

I want to give Iwata the benefit of the doubt and interpret "future platform" as future online platform that they are currently building, not future platform as in the next gen of hardware. Get this shit done.

Deku Tree

Glad they're planning to alienate their customer base slightly less than they used to do at some unspecified point in future.

Tobor

There is no good reason to hold off on this until the next platform.

Just another bucket of incompetence to empty into the ocean of incompetence that is Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't holding this off until the next generation of consoles... sigh.

There is no good reason to hold off on this until the next platform.

Just another bucket of incompetence to empty into the ocean of incompetence that is Nintendo.
The only thing that I see is reading incompetence.

Edit: Granted, OP doesn't include link to the briefing and picture of the slideshow.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Would be nice if they integrated the Wii and the DSi downloadable titles into this account system. Something tells me those are just going to be lost in a void somewhere.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The only thing that I see is reading incompetence.

Edit: Granted, OP doesn't include link to the briefing and picture of the slideshow.

Don't bother, he is on a roll.

Some people really convinced themselves these past days that either Nintendo will drop the Gamepad and sell the Wii U for $100 and/or they will go third party and there is a lot of anger that these unrealistic expectations weren't fulfilled.

Tobor

That slide is talking about future platforms. It's clear as crystal.

The pictures of 3DS and Wii U are there to illustrate that they mean handheld and console.

I've read the presentation and comprehend it just fine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OP needs to update the first post with the slide that has been posted so people don't miss it.

I don't think that will help. Whoever translated the slide at Nintendo fucked up and made "platform" plural, so people will think they are talking about the next handheld and console.

Camwi

Can't we just go back to friend codes? What about the children? Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?

When I was reading the slides yesterday and I got to this section, I just couldn't stop laughing. Because it's so fucking stupid for them to be having this issue in 20fucking14. They straight up said the 3DS wasn't made to have an account system, but they sorta got one working.

Really? Are you fucking kidding me? Fire the whole lot of them. How stupid can they be?!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The pictures of 3DS and Wii U are there to illustrate that they mean handheld and console.

It's not your fault. Whoever did this rush translation job on the presentation made it confusing. Within the original context, it's clear as day that they are talking about the NNID as being their platform going forward. Up until now, the platforms have been separated, but from "here on out" (which is what the Japanese says--not "future") the platform with which Nintendo interacts with its customers will be the NNID to which multiple devices can be connected.

Honestly, it's disappointing that Nintendo can't even get their shit together for a proper English translation. It makes me think they outsourced it to someone with no context or someone who just didn't give a damn. Very disappointing for a company who really needs to get their English messaging clear.

Oh my god, seriously Nintendo. I love you, but you guys seriously cannot be this backwards. How can the Wii U NOT have an account system? Ugh. I LOVE digital download, but I am pretty terrified of losing my games if my CONSOLE was stolen. Yeesh.

Tiktaalik

Pathetically late.

Pretty much confirms they're never fixing this for Wii U / 3DS too.

Don't even try to sell me digital download games for these platforms, I won't buy them.

And Iwata says "Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices."

Part of this strategy is that 3DS got NNIDs as he stated (Step 2), therefore, they're part of this platform.

And the japanese original プラットフォーム is singular - platform.

The slideshow picture has a translation error.

Original - Singular:
23.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And Iwata says "Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices."

Part of this strategy is that 3DS got NNIDs as he stated (Phase 2), therefore, they're part of this platform.

And the japanese original - プラットフォーム is singular - platform.

If you still like to read wrong things into this, that's your problem. The slideshow has a translation error.

Well, the English is confusing, so I wouldn't blame him too much.

It shouldn't say "future" and platform shouldn't be plural.

Ponn

Banned
No people are confused by what he means. They are going to leapfrog current universal accounts and go omni-present accounts.

tastas

Neo Member
From the "Nintendo's Q3 Investors' Meeting slides, now in English" thread:

On Wii U, we launched Nintendo Network IDs, which are abbreviated as NNIDs. This is the first step of our efforts to transform customer relationship management from device-based to account-based, namely, consumer-based, through which we aim to establish long-term relationships with individual consumers, unaffected by the lifespans of our systems. Our future platform will connect with our consumers based on accounts, not devices.

As a second step, Nintendo 3DS became compatible with NNIDs in December 2013. Nintendo 3DS was originally designed for a device-based management system, so making it account-compatible at a later time meant that not all of its features were perfect. However, we feel that we have taken a step in the right direction as we now have a uniformly managed system in which we are connected with our consumers on both handheld devices and consoles.
Of course, when we do launch new hardware in the future, rather than re-creating an installed base from scratch as we did in the past, we wish to build on our existing connections with our consumers through NNIDs and continue to maintain them.

So I guess it's coming to the current consoles including the 3DS.

I don't think that will help. Whoever translated the slide at Nintendo fucked up and made "platform" plural, so people will think they are talking about the next handheld and console.

Ok so lets also include this paragraph here that shows that their future "platform" is the NNID and not the hardware tied to it. Nintendo isn't going to wait for future hardware to start this transition. They began it already when they connected the 3DS to the NNID. The next step is bringing smartphones into it (I expect we will see that soon, before end of the summer). The next obvious step after that will be transitioning from device-centric to NNID-centric (the last step in unifying the account for WiiU and 3DS). If they are smart they would have this done by the end of 2014, but I'm not sure they will get it done by the end of the year.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/03.html
As I just illustrated, we will manage our relationships with our consumers through NNIDs in a uniform manner, and connecting with our consumers through NNIDs will precisely be our new definition of a Nintendo platform.
In other words, our platform will not be bound to physical hardware and, instead, will be virtualized.

Mithos

First of all, it is clearly stated that the new account system will be based on the existing NNIDs. Secondly, even if they implement fully a new account before next hardware launch it is quite probable that the new hardware won't be backwards compatible, as they probably need to change the architecture they use.

Even if thats the case, until there are real account system on Wii U, I'm not touching and apps/games digitally. Nintendo need to make it so that I can just log in on ANY Wii U console with my account and download/play what I have purchased on my NNID before I get anything digital.

Replicant

This is so pathetic. "In the future" We have finally figured out something the world figured out over 8 years ago guys! And now you will probably get some form of it with the special Nintendo magic!

I'd like to know what does "In the future" means? 2-3 years? Or 7-8 years later?

(...)

So I guess it's coming to the current consoles including the 3DS.
The question is how long this will take, while Wii U & 3DS are part of this platform, Nintendo could be slow enough (I hope not) that we still don't see it for those systems.

We'll see, their digital revenues should increase by a good amount if they get rid of this.

kick51

Banned
i'm not everybody, but the number 1 reason I don't own anything nintendo right now is their archaic bullshit like this.

so much hubris going into this gen with the WiiU and 3DS. so much.

I'm not particularly enamored with the business decisions they've made, but it's nice to see they've at least come to realize some of their shortfalls on the gaming side of things.

I'm reasonably confident this will include Wii-U and 3DS because digital sales revenue is on of the few places they've actually seen respectable growth. They're going to want to encourage and cultivate that however they can, so it should be a very high priority now that they've finally stopped being so obstinate about doing it.

Garcia

This is so pathetic. "In the future" We have finally figured out something the world figured out over 8 years ago guys! And now you will probably get some form of it with the special Nintendo magic!

That's how it feels when you read it. It's very sad to realize it took them almost 10 years to find the missing thread and even sadder that it'll take them years to reach a point of functionality.

mdtauk

Even if they had included the NNIDs back with the DS and Wii, what real difference would it have made?

Xbox One doesn't carry your content over, and neither does the PS4.

Being late to implement such an account system, does not mean it would have launched in a perfect state.

Recently picked up a 3DS XL and, yeah, the whole account stuff is a mess. I'd heard about, but still couldn't believe how crap it was. Looks thrown together in an afternoon.

rpmurphy

Even if they had included the NNIDs back with the DS and Wii, what real difference would it have made?

Xbox One doesn't carry your content over, and neither does the PS4.

Being late to implement such an account system, does not mean it would have launched in a perfect state.
What, digital games from the DS and Wii transferred over to the 3DS and Wii U, respectively. And this is not just about transferring between console generations, it's also about transferring between the same consoles (for when people upgrade, rebuy, or lose a console). Of course it would have made a difference had they implemented it last generation.

royalan

Over time, I have learned that when Iwata leads a bright idea with any of the following phrases: "we are considering," "we are thinking about," "we've taken first steps to..." that it's best to adopt the following viewpoint:

I'll believe it when I see it.

But yay, at least he's saying it now. Cute, I guess.

mdtauk

What, digital games from the DS and Wii transferred over to the 3DS and Wii U, respectively. And this is not just about transferring between console generations, it's also about transferring between the same consoles (for when people upgrade, rebuy, or lose a console). Of course it would have made a difference had they implemented it last generation.

So had they had NNIDs last gen, that would have made the Wii U sell well??? You really believe that?

Shiggy

So what is the difference to the current state? We already have universal accounts. Iwata does not say we will have universal access to our games.

Non-wearable accounts?
Actually, that could be it.

NNID-accounts that includes all the information from your various devices, starting with their hardware systems, over smartphones and then combined with their new lifestyle products.. or something like that.

They basically wan't to get rid of the fact that they have to rebuild their consumer base every time and that's because of the hardware.

New hardware generations or new hardware generally brings the problem that it get's outdated over time and you have to innovate yourself to have a place in the market and if your innovation isn't good enough (or other market problems), you loose people that you have to get back with new products and so on.

Top Bottom