• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the Nintendo cycle, not just for Zelda anymore. Also Howard Lincoln was the best NOA pres.

Pretty much. I've seen it now with even bloody NSMBWii vs NSMB2/NSMBU.

I'm looking forward to the day someone holds up WiiWare over eShop, at which point the internet will collapse into some kind of ironic event horizon.

AOC83

Banned
What, so I can only compare a game made within the last year? Holy shit. Iwata was at the helm when SMG and SMG2 was made. Isn't that the contrast the poster was going for?

We are comparing quantity and quality here. 1 or 2 really good games in 3 years isn´t enough.

Hermii

Yeah, just sweep the two consecutive failed hardware launches, pathetic infrastructure, and embarrassing software lineup under the rug. Ignore him being directly responsible for the biggest losses Nintendo's ever taken as a company. Ignore that fact that he has disregarded 3rd parties to such a degree that they openly LAUGH at the prospect of ever truly supporting Nintendo hardware.

Clearly none of that matters.

We hate Iwata because he loves casual games. Yep, that's it.

The 3ds is doing fine now, and arguably has one of the strongest libraries off any Nintendo console.

The Wii, DS and even 3DS to a lesser degree were huge gambles. Sometimes gambling payes and sometimes they dont.

Going with a traditional console with similiar 360 specs and taking huge losses on hardware would probably have doomed them a lot more than Wii did.

What, so I can only compare a game made within the last year? Holy shit. Iwata was at the helm when SMG and SMG2 was made. Isn't that the contrast the poster was going for?

It's also funny when you realize that Iwata was head of corporate planning when the GC came out.

We are comparing quantity and quality here. 1 or 2 really good games in 3 years isn´t enough.

Yeah Nintendo has released only 1 or 2 really good games since 2010. Wait, what?

Brera

Banned
I'm the real deal.

Standing up for you guys cos you don't know how bad you youngsters have it with your wiimusic and wiifit.

If this is done to unify more the company worldwide, like it says in the press release, im all for it. Thats is a good thing. You can see Iwata has a plan for the future, if this plan successes or backfires, thats what we have to wait to see.

This post-mortem lionizing of the Gamecube is pretty entertaining, to say the least.

Maybe he was a child when the gamecube released and had good fun with it without seeing all the problems it had. At least thats is what I want to think, instead of thinking they are seriously lying themeselves.

People thinking the gamecube was an amazing consoles with a huge number of succesful games make me laugh everytime.
I still remember the good old days of DOOMED when Nintendo was in their gamecube cycle.

Fuck this.

I'm emailing Nintendo.

tumblr_lxld86PPzp1qigto9.gif

The 3ds is doing fine now, and arguably has one of the strongest libraries off any Nintendo console.

The Wii, DS and even 3DS to a lesser degree were huge gambles. Sometimes gambling payes and sometimes they dont.

Going with a traditional console with similiar 360 specs and taking huge losses on hardware would probably have doomed them a lot more than Wii did.

Is it? Last I read, it's still underperforming in NA and has a poor attach rate.

CDX

After it got canceled on the N64. Wasn't Iwata the reason Mother 3 was given new life as a GBA game, and finally released late in the GBA's life?

I hope Iwata's new position at NoA in addition to him still being at NCL means Mother 3 has a better chance of being officially released in the West.

jmizzal

Why do people want Iwata gone, I mean the guy was there with the DS and Wii huge success and the 3DS got out of its so called slow start even tho it has always outpaced DS in sales. The WiiU is off the a slow start but we know the games are coming, Iwata has done a good job, if it wasnt for the huge success of Wii no one would be complaining about what he is doing with WiiU.

JazzmanZ

Do Nintendo even have an email address?

From now on and until Iwata is gone, I'm calling them intendo

Brera it might be time to accept that Nintendo doesn't have the best interest for you.

Its time to pursue other things in life, things that will make you happy.

RM8

Iwata Nintendo is best Nintendo. And I've been around since the NES days.

So basically, it's a 'yay' for me.

Kimawolf

Yes I think the people going absolutely crazy he wasn't fired need to relax, or take a breath because now is his test, the Wii U. Can he turn the tide from where it stands right now is the question. I don't think he should had gotten fired, no one could have predicted the market complete destruction ahead of time, as we're going to see this winter as well.

I believe he'll right the Wii U ship, and increase the 3DS from 31 MILLION units in 2 years.. 2 YEARS, which is amazing for a videogame system by the way.

Hermii

After it got canceled on the N64. Wasn't Iwata the reason Mother 3 was given new life as a GBA game, and finally released late in the GBA's life?

I hope Iwata's new position at NoA in addition to him still being at NCL means Mother 3 has a better chance of being officially released in the West.

Wasnt Iwata a programmer on the Mother games ?

I don't follow the GAME jokes.

During the economic troubles of GAME last year, Brera was their sole and most vehement defender. He had bought quite a lot of stock, so it was clear he was personally invested. I mean they're okay now, but as the days went on, and GAME's financial status got steadily worse, it got funnier in that thread. The incident became known as "Brera's Lament"

With such hits as!

I think you are all wrong.

GAME isn't going anywhere. Just look at the Wii-U pre-orders. As long as they can last another 18 months, the buxx will roll in.

Not that I care that much.... I don't shop there!

The hyperbole in some of you... it's hard to even read.

This is probably a solid, long-term change in how Nintendo views the North American market. Regardless of your (oh so very personal) view of Iwata, having the NA and Japan management aligned is far better suited to a global market.

This re-org demonstrates that Nintendo recognizes that they need to do a lot more in North America to succeed. It means when NOA talks to NA third party publisher, it will the CEO of the entire company behind the call.

remember when the system never got multiplatform games day and date, and then simply didn't get them at all? those were the glory days man.

remember when it would get barely improved ports of ps2 versions, and then sometimes those would outsell the other versions, and then the publisher decided to not release the sequels on gc anyway? it was awesome.

almost as awesome as looking up directions for warp pipe so you could hopefully play a really laggy awful online double dash

Chindogg

Brera is a joke account, right?

Him and Dave Meltzer are the same person. He constantly comes into every Nintendo thread to troll, just ignore him.

On topic, the best way to tell how much of Nintendo's issues revolve around Iwata is to do this test run. Hell he may still resign if sales don't improve as he promised.

remember when the system never got multiplatform games day and date, and then simply didn't get them at all? those were the glory days man.

Dude, you could play as Mario in NBA Street V3! What the heck were you looking for? Online play?

remember when it would get barely improved ports of ps2 versions, and then sometimes those would outsell the other versions, and then the publisher decided to not release the sequels on gc anyway? it was awesome.

Only example of that I know of is Soul Calibur II, and that being a Sony exclusive boggled quite a few.

Yamauchi

Banned
Yeah, just sweep the two consecutive failed hardware launches, pathetic infrastructure, and embarrassing software lineup under the rug. Ignore him being directly responsible for the biggest losses Nintendo's ever taken as a company. Ignore that fact that he has disregarded 3rd parties to such a degree that they openly LAUGH at the prospect of ever truly supporting Nintendo hardware.

Clearly none of that matters.

We hate Iwata because he loves casual games. Yep, that's it.
You talk about him being responsible for the company's 'biggest losses', and that is true. But Iwata also achieved (by a factor of nearly 3) the company's largest profits in history. Once he was put in charge of the company's corporate planning, Nintendo's profits began to swell enormously. In two years under his leadership -- 2008 and 2009 -- the company's profit totaled nearly as much as the company's entire profits for the decade of the 90s.

He's done some bad things but, from a corporate standpoint, he has also done some very good things.

AGITΩ

Hopefully with NCL holding more over NOA, We'll get different colored game boxes...I want Black Boxes for T and M rated games! and maybe some more efforts on the localization front?

Who am I kidding, NOA will continue to suck as long as Reggie is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom