• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdoggie

Banned
I think what this might mean, and hopefully what ends up happening, is that what NCL does, NoA does. Instead of this: NCL does something, NoA sometimes does the same thing, but it takes forever before it happens, if it even does happen at all.

What I think this means is: Global Nintendo Directs without a lot of significant region-only announcements or products. There are exceptions, obviously, things like Tomadachi and Giftpia probably don't appeal to Western audiences, and vice versa, 3D Metroid games for example don't appeal to Japanese audiences. Overall though, I expect more uniformity in product launches and announcements.

I think this also makes E3 more significant for them. If Iwata is now also CEO of NoA, he now has far more direct control over NoA-specific trade shows and expos like E3.

This can only be a good thing. Not merely because of the person (Iwata) that is assuming the role, but because NCL and NoA will now be more unified and work closer together than ever before.

It's a net benefit to fans.

The real kicker is... will Iwatta be aggressive in finding and funding collaborations with talented studios in the West to handle some titles.. maybe even a glimmer of hope to re-invigorate some franchises that could appeal to the West and or a global approach.. it's has to be incredibly difficult because the general tastes of Japan versus the rest of the world are pretty dramatically different... I bet we couldn't come up with a list of ten titles this past generation that were considered a huge success in all territories.. and I'm talking across EVERY platform.. that's how split it is..

Amir0x

Banned
Iwata was made president when Gamecube was already out, so he has pretty much helmed Nintendo's strategy ever since I felt Nintendo's strategy was fuck awful for hardcore gamers, so do not want.

I'm the only one speaking sense until Dave comes and backs me up.

Do you know what? You guys deserve a CEO like Iwata. You are all happy to lap up your shoddy photocopies of old classics with crap gimmicks like blowing on the control pad to make a boat sail.

When Iwata is gone and we start getting truly quality Nintendo games, then you will see what the rest of us were going on about.

Enjoy Yoshi's Land suckers. I'm off to play Yoshi's island on my snes!

I've never heard of you before today. Now, I'll never forget.

Meelow

Banned
They did, it's called the Wii U and it's pretty slick. Where have you been?

If Wii U can't do this in real time it's not next gen.

I'm just joking, I know the Wii U is next gen, just some people think it's not and I posted the gif as the reason why

ibjxCz37mFXzrX.gif

royalan

I think what this might mean, and hopefully what ends up happening, is that what NCL does, NoA does. Instead of this: NCL does something, NoA sometimes does the same thing, but it takes forever before it happens, if it even does happen at all.

What I think this means is: Global Nintendo Directs without a lot of significant region-only announcements or products. There are exceptions, obviously, things like Tomadachi and Giftpia probably don't appeal to Western audiences, and vice versa, 3D Metroid games for example don't appeal to Japanese audiences. Overall though, I expect more uniformity in product launches and announcements.

I think this also makes E3 more significant for them. If Iwata is now also CEO of NoA, he now has far more direct control over NoA-specific trade shows and expos like E3.

This can only be a good thing. Not merely because of the person (Iwata) that is assuming the role, but because NCL and NoA will now be more unified and work closer together than ever before.

It's a net benefit to fans.

I agree with you on what this may mean for NOA, but I disagree that this only means good things for Nintendo fans.

As a Nintendo fan I have never felt more excluded than I do right now. I didn't grow up with the Wii. My formative gaming years were with the SNES, N64, and Cube - back when NOA was much stronger and Nintendo had more western influence within the company. Don't get me wrong, I loved Mario and Zelda, but Left Field, Silicon Knights, RARE - their games were every bit a part of the "Nintendo Experience" to me.

Rare especially. In its prime, Rare's games to me were every bit as important to Nintendo as anything to come out of EAD. Every fucking bit. And while I know that Rare was but a shadow of its former self by the time Nintendo sold it off, it still stands that Nintendo has yet to really replace what they lost when they lost Rare - a TITAN studio that filled in their software library with games that catered to the western market. Western Nintendo fans like me. In fact, every major decision Nintendo has made has only served to further marginalize the west and game created specifically for that market.

And now, instead of addressing that, they put Iwata in direct control of NOA, and people cheer because they hope this means more NOJ?

I'm sorry, but fuck NOJ. MORE NOJ isn't the solution to Nintendo's growing list of problems here in the US.

RM8

When Iwata is gone and we start getting truly quality Nintendo games, then you will see what the rest of us were going on about.

Enjoy Yoshi's Land suckers. I'm off to play Yoshi's island on my snes!
One thing is people blaming Miyamoto for games "sucking" (like his wish to strip the RPG elements from Paper Mario). But Iwata? Lol. Too good.

RM8

@royalan: I'm not following your point. Rare doesn't exist anymore (only in name), Silicon Knights developed two GameCube games (one being a MGS remake) and Left Field did a couple of sports games (the same amount on GCN than on Wii, actually). And you claim that you are a Nintendo fan because of them? Uh... and on top of that you think more NOJ is a bad thing?

What -exactly- do you want Nintendo to do? I'm sorry but Nintendo has always been rather Japan-centric, especially during the times when they have been the most successful. More Western support would be amazing but distancing from NOJ would be downright idiotic.

Well its definitely not next gen tech. Its closer to the ps3/360 than ps4.

Remains to be seen where it'll land. Unless i've seen Nintendos 1st party high budget games i won't judge it. Cause its Nintendo who brings the eye candy and not the 3rd parties (Though there were exceptions, like Rogue Leader)

disap.ed

@royalan: I'm not following your point. Rare doesn't exist anymore (only in name), Silicon Knights developed two GameCube games (one being a MGS remake) and Left Field did a couple of sports games (the same amount on GCN than on Wii, actually). And you claim that you are a Nintendo fan because of them? Uh... and on top of that you think more NOJ is a bad thing?

What -exactly- do you want Nintendo to do? I'm sorry but Nintendo has always been rather Japan-centric, especially during the times when they have been the most successful. More Western support would be amazing but distancing from NOJ would be downright idiotic.

I think he has been pretty clear. Rare's games were as important for the success especially of the N64 as EAD's games (I agree with him), there isn't a Nintendo exclusive western studio close to former Rare now (Retro's 2 games / gen won't be enough). He wants Nintendo to change this.

AniHawk

I don't remember that at all.

There were more multiplatform games on the GCN than the Wii.

Unless you're talking solely about first-party support.

I don't think real life works like a comedy film.

the wii wouldn't always get third-party games that appeared on other consoles, but the stuff it did get, aside from rock band, was usually the same day. the exclusive support from third-parties was also way higher on the wii versus the gamecube.

StevieP

Banned
I think he has been pretty clear. Rare's games were as important for the success especially of the N64 as EAD's games (I agree with him), there isn't a Nintendo exclusive western studio close to former Rare now (Retro's 2 games / gen won't be enough). He wants Nintendo to change this.

I think Retro should have more than 2 games this generation. You'll be seeing at least one of them soon enough.

royalan

@royalan: I'm not following your point. Rare doesn't exist anymore (only in name), Silicon Knights developed two GameCube games (one being a MGS remake) and Left Field did a couple of sports games. And you claim that you are a Nintendo fan because of them? Uh... and on top of that you think more NOJ is a bad thing?

You're missing my point.

Of course Rare doesn't exist now, and of course Nintendo has always been a Japanese company. But once upon a time Nintendo also put more effort into creating games that had more western appeal. That was the point of me listing those studios.

Rare doesn't exist anymore, and in truth Rare was kinda shit even BEFORE Nintendo sold them off. But it still stands that Nintendo really has done very little to address the hole in their library Rare games used to fill. I mean, have they? You tell me.

Nor am I arguing that NOA distance themselves from NOJ. You're right: that would be silly. But I personally believe that NOJ has plenty of influence already. And I don't think that NOA releasing every doki doki super kawaii niche game that NOJ touches (which seems to be what people in this thread anticipate from a NOA run by Iwata) really addresses Nintendo's problem in the west: a lack of software that targets this market and a lack of understanding of the western market in general.

the wii wouldn't always get third-party games that appeared on other consoles, but the stuff it did get, aside from rock band, was usually the same day. the exclusive support from third-parties was also way higher on the wii versus the gamecube.

Except they were about the same as saying "The DS got the same games as the Wii" because they were often different titles.

Call of Duty was hilarious.

RM8

The... success of N64.

And yes, Rare was amazing, but it's dead now. How can Nintendo change this? They are slowly giving more importance to their Western studios - Next Level Games just did a freaking amazing job with Luigi's Mansion.

Also, let's be real - East or West, Mario and Pokémon have way more appeal than Banjo and Conker.

You're missing my point.

Of course Rare doesn't exist now, and of course Nintendo has always been a Japanese company. But once upon a time Nintendo also put more effort into creating games that had more western appeal. That was he point of me listing those studios.

Rare doesn't exist anymore, and in truth Rare was kinda shit even BEFORE Nintendo sold them off. But it still stands that Nintendo really has done very little to address the hole in their library Rare games used to fill. I mean, have they? You tell me.

Nor am I arguing that NOA distance themselves from NOJ. You're right: that would be silly. But I personally believe that NOJ has plenty of influence already. And I don't think that NOA releasing ever doki doki super kawaii niche game that NOJ touches (which seems to be what people in this thread anticipate from a NOA run by Iwata) really addresses Nintendo's problem in the west: a lack of software that targets this market and a lack of understanding of the western market in general.

Agreed (nitpick: it's NCL, not NOJ). The last game Nintendo published that even attempted to fill the Western core gaming void in their library was probably Geist back in 2005, maaaybe BWii in 2007; they're known to have cancelled multiple Wii projects that fit into that category (Knight Wars, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Sphear) early in the platform's lifespan.

Obviously, none of those three games were likely to have been multimillion-selling AAA masterpieces, but they were at least attempts to fill a gap in Nintendo's library that they should have been attempting to fill.

RM8

Agreed (nitpick: it's NCL, not NOJ). The last game Nintendo published that even attempted to fill the Western core gaming void in their library was probably Geist back in 2005, maaaybe BWii in 2007; they're known to have cancelled multiple Wii projects that fit into that category (Knight Wars, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Sphear) early in the platform's lifespan.

Obviously, none of those three games were likely to have been multimillion-selling AAA masterpieces, but they were at least attempts to fill a gap in Nintendo's library that they should have been attempting to fill.
To be fair, even Japanese Nintendo series get canned when they underperform.

Meelow

Banned
Considering their WiiU game was allegedly yanked from the E3 presser at the last minute last year... it'd be a shock if they don't show their next project (
Mario Kart 8, hopefully
) this year.

I will cry if it's Mario Kart 8, Retro developers aren't really on the racing side, and they hired people from Naughty Dog, Crytek, etc, devs that work on graphically intense games.

Mario Kart 8 wouldn't be worth it for them to hire devs like that.

D-e-f-

Banned
I will cry if it's Mario Kart 8, Retro developers aren't really on the racing side, and they hired people from Naughty Dog, Crytek, etc, devs that work on graphically intense games.

There is literally NO rational reasoning in assuming or even entertaining the idea that they're making Mario Kart.

I very much doubt it's Mario Kart. Despite what some may think, Mario Kart was doing fine long before Retro stepped in to help with some minor details on MK7, it's not like Metroid where the series was in dire need of reviving from a fresh studio, EAD could make a perfectly serviceable MK8, maybe Retro will be bought into help, but Nintendo would be damn stupid to make it their primary project. I'm sure they're quite aware of their massive potential.

Schnozberry

You're missing my point.

Of course Rare doesn't exist now, and of course Nintendo has always been a Japanese company. But once upon a time Nintendo also put more effort into creating games that had more western appeal. That was he point of me listing those studios.

Nor am I arguing that NOA distance themselves from NOJ. You're right: that would be silly. But I personally believe that NOJ has plenty of influence already. And I don't think that NOA releasing ever doki doki super kawaii niche game that NOJ touches (which seems to be what people in this thread anticipate from a NOA run by Iwata) really addresses Nintendo's problem in the west: a lack of software that targets this market and a lack of understanding of the western market in general.

Nintendo hasn't stopped making western games. They rarely ever made them at all. They just made Nintendo games. The games that appeal to westerners has drastically changed. Call of Duty's yearly releases outsell Super Mario Galaxy's lifetime sales every year. The West has basically become a place to sell cover shooters with chest high walls and medieval RPG's. Everything else is a crapshoot.

Canon

Banned
Good. Iwata is one of the best parts of Nintendo, despite the recent hate on Gaf for no real reason other than using him as a scapegoat.

Sony would be better off with a game developer as their CEO, too, and certainly Microsoft which has no exclusive games worth caring about at the moment and Pizza Hut apps as substitutes.

Van Owen

Banned
Good. Iwata is one of the best parts of Nintendo, despite the recent hate on Gaf for no real reason other than using him as a scapegoat.

Sony would be better off with a game developer as their CEO, too, and certainly Microsoft which has no exclusive games worth caring about at the moment and Pizza Hut apps as substitutes.

Who is to blame if not the head of the company?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
There is literally NO rational reasoning in assuming or even entertaining the idea that they're making Mario Kart.

While I think they aren't working on Mario Kart, you can't say there isn't a rational reason to think that they could be.

Did anyone think they would be working on a 2d Donkey Kong game or help out on a portable kart game?

Based Mark Cerny for CEO of Sony lol. I'm down with that.

royalan

Nintendo hasn't stopped making western games. They rarely ever made them at all. They just made Nintendo games. The games that appeal to westerners has drastically changed. Call of Duty's yearly releases outsell Super Mario Galaxy's lifetime sales every year. The West has basically become a place to sell cover shooters with chest high walls and medieval RPG's. Everything else is a crapshoot.

Uh...what?

Care to explain a vast bulk of Rare's SNES/N64 output to me then? And that's just one studio.

Hell, I probably logged more hours playing Goldeneye multiplayer with my friends than any other N64 game COMBINED. And that was before the US got swept up in the console shooter craze.

Schnozberry

While I think they aren't working on Mario Kart, you can't say there isn't a rational reason to think that they could be.

Did anyone think they would be working on a 2d Donkey Kong game or help out on a portable kart game?

I hope Nintendo let them create their own IP for Wii U that is a direct shot at the heart of western gaming. After that, I hope they make a Metroidvania for 3DS.

I'm in love with this.

People cry "This will be the end of Iwata"

Iwata: "I'm now promoted"

LOVE IT!

I haven't gotten a chance to read this whole thread, but the first thing I thought of this morning when I heard the news is, "Oh man, those Iwata fired fanfiction guys at GAF are gonna be furious!"

I'm not saying it's impossible that he'd resign or anything, but it's just too hilarious. I can't wait to get to work and read all the salt.

If you're arguing that Nintendo shouldn't bother trying to use first-party resources to cultivate an audience for CoD, GTA, Bioshock et al. on their platform, then fine. But that guarantees that their Western and Western-targeted third-party support is going to be abysmal, and Nintendo doesn't have anything - a steady stream of first-party hits, appealing casual software - that can suffice to make up for the paucity of multiplatform core games on Wii U.

Schnozberry

Uh...what?

Care to explain a vast bulk of Rare's SNES/N64 output to me then? And that's just one studio.

Hell, I probably logged more hours playing Goldeneye multiplayer with my friends than any other N64 game COMBINED. And that was before the US got swept up in the console shooter craze.

Yeah, that's one development studio. Rare made 7 games over the lifetime of the SNES and 11 for the N64. The output of Nintendo as a whole has never skewed in a way one could construe as western.

Iwata just basically said "fuck you" to the segment of GAF calling for his resignation.

When he meets his admittedly lofty targets in the current fiscal year, that aforementioned segment is gonna get even more saltier.

Can't wait.

D-e-f-

Banned

Fair point. Though I'd argue that a 2D DKC-revival game is less of a stretch than years of silence for "the next Mario Kart." I think people make the connection solely they helped out with a few MK7 tracks to push it out the door faster. Maybe their game has driving in it but "just" Mario Kart seems like it would be a waste of their talents specifically as a western studio to me. MK is doing great as it is, regardless of it needing some shake ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom