• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros.3D Mario game, Mario Kart etc @ E3

Except all the people who buy new IPs like the millions who bought all the new IPs this gen on all platforms. Nintendo are just too conservative make new mature IPs. They can do it with smaller or more kid friendly stuff because the risk is less.

I think the problem here is that "mature" is a relative term. Shooting an alien in the head and watching blood gush out or body parts explode is more immature to me than guiding Mario through a level filled with flying turtles.

zroid

Banned
I can't believe I might actually be playing a demo of the new 3D Mario game in a couple weeks without spending a dime on travel expenses to E3. Got damn.

Probably wont happen ( Mario with a gun? oh noes) but it should!

lo96xSf.jpg

People are speculating there could be a Nintendo Direct on the 29th because of the "leaked" info from Sonic Lost World stating we will get a better preview of it on the 29th.

Iwata said in the Japanese Sega Direct that Sega had plans to unveil more details about the game before E3 opened, so it may not be a Nintendo Direct.

wsippel

Banned
Iwata said in the Japanese Sega Direct that Sega had plans to unveil more details about the game before E3 opened, so it may not be a Nintendo Direct.
Isn't Nintendo publishing the title? Then it would be their job to unveil the game. I personally think there are probably two, possibly three more Directs over the next 20 days, simply because 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Retro's title, Bayonetta 2, Sonic and whatever else they plan to show would be too much for a single Direct - and that's just Wii U.

Isn't Nintendo publishing the title? Then it would be their job to unveil the game. I personally think there are probably two, possibly three more Directs over the next 20 days, simply because 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda, Retro's title, Bayonetta 2, Sonic and whatever else they plan to show would be too much for a single Direct - and that's just Wii U.

Oh, it is the US I guess? It's Sega in Japan. I dunno, we'll see.

I dunno if that's too much for a single Direct. I think it would be better to present it all at once, rather than space it out.

SEGA Direct v2

Shenmue HD announced

No shit, I had life so I couldn't watch the Japanese stream live, but had it playing on my computer in the other room. I walked by and saw a part of Yakuza HD and thought it was Shenmue and my hype went through the roof.

ya you want a new Nintendo IP™, not a new ole IP created by Nintendo. i get it. there's a pretty big difference between that and small-time creations like Rolling Western. i disagree that they haven't tried. i think Kid Icarus: Uprising was an attempt to create one. it played out exactly how i would imagine it

-fresh new section of gameplay carved out for it with potential for future titles
-new worlds to explore that don't retread on their existing franchises (no star fox + metroid crap)
-main characters who are iconic and center in the games (Xenoblade/X could count as a new Nintendo IP™ but its major problem is right here - Shulk doesn't feel attached to the franchise so this is where that one fucks up. but maybe he is somehow? we'll see)
-high production values, KI:U has so much content it could rival AAA ps360 titles
-had outside media (anime, cards)
-huge marketing budget - they certainly tried

yea it was based on old games but who really cares. those old games were dead and no one cared about them anymore at all. it is related only in name and if you discount it because of that you don't deserve games anymore. i can't imagine someone prior to the Wii saying they were holding up on buying the console until it got their Kid Icarus fix. it is disappointing overall to see the game go so far over everyones heads. it had huge potential all around.
It sold pretty well though. 1.2 mil isn't bad for a new IP.

No one should expect a new IP to do Mario/Zelda/Pokemon numbers, a following needs to be cultivated that can be expanded upon in the future. Look at Animal Crossing. Modest success on the Gamecube, explosive on DS/3DS, which also boosted the Wii version. The fans of the first game stuck around and more fans came on board with each entry.

Basically what I'm saying is a Wii U sequel to KI:U would be fucking rad and Nintendo should make one.

We start to get into semantics at this point. The game is owned by Nintendo, they paid for it, and Iwata is listed as the Executive Producer.

Hmmm... that's interesting that Iwata is credited as Exec. Producer. But I still wouldn't consider it a first party game unless one of Nintendo's own teams developed it.

Back in the day, these were called second party games. Outside developer creates the game, console maker publishes it.

The bit about who owns the IP makes a difference too, because I wouldn't call Starfox Assault or Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon a second party game at all.

It's all getting so confusing now. :/

Meelow

Banned
Why do you think that?

A bit Off-topic: Are you still going to going to do that Post-E3 chat thing?

I wouldn't be shocked.

2 Nintendo Directs = Wii U
1 Nintendo Direct = 3DS

May 29th Nintendo Direct = Wii U
June 9-13 2 Nintendo Direct = Wii U and 3DS

DaBoss

I wouldn't be shocked.

2 Nintendo Directs = Wii U
1 Nintendo Direct = 3DS

May 29th Nintendo Direct = Wii U
June 9-13 2 Nintendo Direct = Wii U and 3DS

Why would there be one on May 29th? Two separate Directs for Wii U and 3DS for E3 is definitely plausible.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why would there be one on May 29th? Two separate Directs for Wii U and 3DS for E3 is definitely plausible.

I could see a third party focused Direct- most if not all 3rd party games will be lost in the wash of a Direct unveiling 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash.

May 29th is when we're supposed to hear more details about the new Sonic game. Since Nintendo is publishing the game that might coincide with a Nintendo Direct.

DaBoss

Speaking of the E3 demos, I wonder when they will make it available. I doubt they will make it available Day 1 of E3 since they have to let the press get their impressions up and stuff. I could definitely see them making it available on Day 2.

Or did they make it clear when exactly they will allow us to play it and I just happened to block it out?

I could see a third party focused Direct- most if not all 3rd party games will be lost in the wash of a Direct unveiling 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash.

While I agree those games are pretty big, but wouldn't that be a bit silly? That would technically mean they should show those 3 games in one direct and reveal everything else in another.

May 29th is when we're supposed to hear more details about the new Sonic game. Since Nintendo is publishing the game that might coincide with a Nintendo Direct.

Oh, didn't know about that. I would love to see some footage of it. Hoping for the best.

jacksrb

It is going to be hard to predict how they will handle the directs. I mean, I assume announcements/reveals for big titles will have smaller video Iwata asks.

Beyond that though, they need to show the big guns for the wow factor, but they will also want generate news/buzz throughout the week.

They can't sit on Smash without saying exactly when that will be revealed. Likewise, sitting on the Retro announcement until the middle of the week will just cause message board melt downs and a million questions until it is shown.

I guess there is a lot of info on Pikmin 3, TW101, ALTTP2 that they can share - but can't take away too much for 3D Mario, Kart, etc.

Also, will we see a Wii U Sports?

ALM5252

I feel like most of the people who have this sentiment are the same people who talk about how they don't like Nintendo games to begin with.

I agree with you, though it would be nice for Nintendo to create more new IPs (which they already are, Pushmo, Dillon, etc) I would kinda prefer Nintendo go back to IPs they have neglected. I want a new Star Fox game, either like 64, Adventures, or Assault (They can compromise, can have the cinematic feel of Adventures with the gameplay like 64, with the multiplayer of Assault!

The franchises they should revisit for Wii U are:
Metroid (Like Prime or Super Metroid)
F-Zero (Should be like the Batman Arkam games, but with C.Falcon, the bounty hunter...just kidding! Haha)
Star Fox (Should have mega online space dog fights and be a great third person shooter)
Paper Mario (like 64 or TTYD)
Donkey Kong (3D Platformer)
Geist (Could be Nintendo's answer to the FPS market)

Wii U should be like the GameCube was in terms of the many franchises it had. It had pretty much every major Nintendo franchise. Mario, DK, Zelda, Star Fox, F-Zero, Metroid, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Smash Bros., etc. (I mainly named the franchises from Smash, lol, but it's true, it had tons of Nintendo series represented as full games)

Linkhero1

I'd love to see Nintendo partner up with a Western 3rd Party company. Crytek + Nintendo for Timesplitters 4. I like that they're doing collabs but I want to see them expand it outside of their Japanese support.

I'd love to see Nintendo partner up with a Western 3rd Party company. Crytek + Nintendo for Timesplitters 4. I like that they're doing collabs but I want to see them expand it outside of their Japanese support.

If this were to ever happen, all my attention would completely go to Nintendo. *0*

AzaK

Yup, me too. They need to work with bigger, western companies. They're doing well on the Japanese front and have released a number of smaller IP's in the last few years but they have some gaping holes.

Discuss? As in just talk about it?

Is that a joke!?!?!?!

They better have live, playable demos at E3!!!!! AT THE VERY LEAST!!!!

Linkhero1

Yup, me too. They need to work with bigger, western companies. They're doing well on the Japanese front and have released a number of smaller IP's in the last few years but they have some gaping holes.

CryEngine3 already runs on the Wii U. I can't see why they wouldn't find it to their advantage to partner with a western developer for a new ip. It seems so simple, yet Nintendo doesn't seem to want to do this. I wouldn't mind them collaborating with n-Space again for something new. Geist wasn't perfect but it was fun and it was something new.

Meelow

Banned

Timesplitters 4 Wii U exclusive...The reactions.

Timesplitters 4 Wii U exclusive...The reactions.

Nintendo needs bombs!

Mario 64 2! Mario Kart All-Stars! Smash Bros. Universe! Metroid Dread! Raven Blade! Xenoblade 2! Time Splitters 4! Earthbound 4! Sonic Lost World! Yakuza 1&2 HD for the West! Yakuza 5 Wii U! Pokemon Stadium 5! Ghost & Ghouls U! Trauma Team U! Monster Hunter 4 HD! Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles! The World Ends with U! F-Zero Freefall! 1080 Snowboarding Summit! Mega Man Legends 3! Pac-Man Versus! Kingdom Hearts 3! Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and a partridge in a pear tree!

Meelow

Banned
Nintendo needs bombs!

Mario 64 2! Mario Kart All-Stars! Smash Bros. Universe! Metroid Dread! Raven Blade! Xenoblade 2! Time Splitters 4! Earthbound 4! Sonic Lost World! Yakuza 1&2 HD for the West! Yakuza 5 Wii U! Pokemon Stadium 5! Ghost & Ghouls U! Trauma Team U! Monster Hunter 4 HD! Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles! The World Ends with U! F-Zero Freefall! 1080 Snowboarding Summit! Mega Man Legends 3! Pac-Man Versus! Kingdom Hearts 3! Project H.A.M.M.E.R. and a partridge in a pear tree!

I honestly think if PS4/720 conferences close GAF for a few hours that just Timesplitters Wii U would close GAF for a day.

Top Bottom