• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros.3D Mario game, Mario Kart etc @ E3

AntMurda

I wonder how many of those same people will be fawning over the next Xbox when Halo, Forza and Gears are announced for it, with maybe a Perfect Dark reboot.

I think a lot of Nintendo fans would love if we were getting Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero XY, and Star Fox Z. But we are getting Mario, Mario, Mario, and more Mario. Oh and Luigi. Well the older ones anyway who migrated over to the HD twins in desperation.

Well I couldn't care less about Smash or Mario Kart.

The new Mario and other titles better be amazing.

They really need some new IPs, I'm tired of playing the same Nintendo retreads every generation.

Phazon

I think a lot of Nintendo fans would love if we were getting Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero XY, and Star Fox Z. But we are getting Mario, Mario, Mario, and more Mario. Oh and Luigi.

And suddenly everyone forgets about LEGO City, Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda, Pikmin, etc. ..?

Wii U is getting two real Mario games in a year and a kartgame, that's it.

MCN

Banned
I've always thought E3 demos should be publicly available and spread across Best Buys in NA is a good step, but I don't know why they wouldn't just offer them online. An online SSB4 demo after E3 would get me to buy a Wii U immediately.

Because the code is unfinished and could potentially damage your console or open up security vulnerabilities.

Darryl

Banned
I think a lot of Nintendo fans would love if we were getting Metroid Prime 4, F-Zero XY, and Star Fox Z. But we are getting Mario, Mario, Mario, and more Mario. Oh and Luigi. Well the older ones anyway who migrated over to the HD twins in desperation.

we're not getting much Mario at all on the Wii U so far, lol

FluxWaveZ

Because the code is unfinished and could potentially damage your console or open up security vulnerabilities.

It would be that serious? If so, I suppose it makes sense as to why they're not offered, but I wouldn't have thought those demos could cause such severe technical problems.

Meelow

Banned
I've always thought E3 demos should be publicly available and spread across Best Buys in NA is a good step, but I don't know why they wouldn't just offer them online. An online SSB4 demo after E3 would get me to buy a Wii U immediately.

Well we really don't know what Nintendo's plan for it is, it's possible that Nintendo could put it on the eShop and make a exclusive deal with Best Buy for something.

- 3D Mario
(- Mario Kart) (it's an All-Star Game)

- Wind Waker Remake
- Next Zelda
- X
- Fire Emblem x SMT
- Wonderful 101
- Bayonetta 2
- Yoshi's Epic Yarn
- Game & Wario
- Pikmin 3
- Smash Bros.
- Retro Game (not Mario)

jmizzal

They may offer them online on the eshop too, but they also need to sell the WiiU to people in bestbuy.

MCN

Banned
Well if its just floor demos ala Lost Planet for the 360 so many E3 ago, that should be fine?

Not really. Floor demos are tightly controlled by Nintendo, and if a console breaks, they just quietly replace it, plus it can't get into the hands of the kind of people looking for security vulnerabilities. If demos started breaking customers' consoles, then that would be an absolute PR disaster. Remember, with those demos, they are usually rushed out at the last possible minute to meet the E3 deadline, as that cannot be pushed back. They're pretty untested, and have staff members nearby to try to steer people through the parts that actually work.

MisterHero

I have a feeling there will be a significant reason for Best Buy and E3. Maybe besides the demoes there will be some mini-swag.

A.E Suggs

Nintendo definitely needs some new IPs from their main teams.

Fuk that I just want good games. As long as other teams make new Ips on nintendos system it shouldn't really matter. Unless you just want 1st party IPs for the sake of being able to use said characters for mario cross-over games like smash and such.

Teknoman

They may offer them online on the eshop too, but they also need to sell the WiiU to people in bestbuy.

Best course of action right here. Generate buzz through current WiiU owners, have curious people check out the demos in Best Buy.

Also as far as Metroid goes, they need to just go ahead with Metroid V. 100% 2D gameplay, high quality 3D graphics. Need to see what happens after Fusion.

Not really. Floor demos are tightly controlled by Nintendo, and if a console breaks, they just quietly replace it, plus it can't get into the hands of the kind of people looking for security vulnerabilities. If demos started breaking customers' consoles, then that would be an absolute PR disaster. Remember, with those demos, they are usually rushed out at the last possible minute to meet the E3 deadline, as that cannot be pushed back. They're pretty untested, and have staff members nearby to try to steer people through the parts that actually work.

Sure, for far off release games, but what about stuff thats right around the corner? A Pikmin 3 demo that lets you play the first 2 days, Game and Wario with a few mini games, or Wonderful 101 with a mini boss battle?

Meelow

Banned
You know what I just thought off.

Lets say Nintendo made a deal with Best Buy to put some exclusive demons up in their store, and than also have exclusive E3 demos on the Wii U eShop.

So people can go to Best Buy and try the demos only available at Best Buy and they could also buy a Wii U and buys games with it and try the exclusive demos on the eShop.

What do you guys think?

'Discuss' doesn't mean show video or have demos of. Hopefully I'm over thinking it and they'll all be playable at the show though.

Nintendo already confirmed at the January Direct that they will show off 3D Mario, Mario Kart 8, and Smash Bros at E3 2013, and 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 will have playable demos.

awm8604

Banned
'Discuss' doesn't mean show video or have demos of. Hopefully I'm over thinking it and they'll all be playable at the show though.

AzaK

We all knew the Direct was focusing on Summer/Spring games, why set expectations that high when no one ever expected new games out of this?

Quite frankly I'm shocked we got at least two new games announced for the console belonging to franchises people really like. I'd have expected that for the next Direct.
And for one they just showed the logo.

It was more smoke and mirrors at worst and a sad attempt to look like you have games at best. Just because they said it'd only be summer releases in the direct makes everyone forget that what they showed us is all we've got in the first 8 months of a new console. So no megaton summer release even. And really from what we know, no Christmas megaton either. Just Kart and 3D Mario, great games but not megatons.

Lets say Nintendo made a deal with Best Buy to put some exclusive demons up in their store, and than also have exclusive E3 demos on the Wii U eShop.
Not sure about on eShop but in store only exclusive demos might very well be smart for Nintendo and retailer relations.

So people can go to Best Buy and try the demos only available at Best Buy and they could also buy a Wii U and buys games with it and try the exclusive demos on the eShop.

What do you guys think?

Redundant.

Sendou

Yes, you are. Mario Kart and 3D Mario will have a trailer and be playable at E3. SSB will have at least screenshots. This much was confirmed. Directs include a whole lot of talking about games but it's rare not to have a trailer also.

And for one they just showed the logo.

It was more smoke and mirrors at worst and a sad attempt to look like you have games at best. Just because they said it'd only be summer releases in the direct makes everyone forget that what they showed us is all we've got in the first 8 months of a new console. So no megaton summer release even. And really from what we know, no Christmas megaton either. Just Kart and 3D Mario, great games but not megatons.

Megaton isn't something we know of IMO. Retro's game can be a megaton. There will probably be games nobody could even guess. Please be excited etc.

Neiteio

NINTENDO DIRECT SEQUENCE OF EVENTS

1) Open with Super Mario WiiU, much like how they opened with Skyward Sword one E3
2) On the topic of Mario, transition to Mario Kart WiiU
3) Still on a Mario-related note, transition to Yarn Yoshi for WiiU
4) On the topic of Yoshi, transition to Yoshi's Island for 3DS
5) Continuing the 3DS, transition to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2
6) Still on the topic of Zelda, proceed to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
7) Proceed to another fall WiiU title, namely The Wonderful 101
8) Still on the topic of Platinum Games, transition to Bayonetta 2
9) On the note of third-party collaboration, go to SMT x Fire Emblem (unlikely, but still)
10) On the note of epic RPGs, transition to Monolith Soft's X (and 3DS title, why not)
11) Touch on story-driven games for NA: Bravely Default, Layton vs. AA, MonHun 4
12) Highlight major RPGs Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (first simultaneous global launch)
13) Focus on expanded audience: Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Wii Sports U
14) Return to "core" and drop the Treasure 3DS project Bob-omb
15) Then drop the Retro Studios WiiU project Bob-omb
16) Reggie: "One more thing" -- SUPER SMASH BROS. 4

MCN

Banned

You are overthinking it. English is not Iwata's first language, and translating between Japanese and English is a difficult process, with a lot of ambiguity.

Plus, playable demos were already confirmed way back in January.

How about announcing some new ip. Would that really hurt for once?

They announce new IP all the time, matter infact, one of those new IPs you people don't even consider a system seller. [W101]

Here we go again!

ibcYFKzPBNfyYW.gif

For real this time, but we already knew this anyway.

Can we please get this gif redone with Sonic in it? Shit is awesome.

Teknoman

1) Open with Super Mario WiiU, much like how they opened with Skyward Sword one E3
6) Still on the topic of Zelda, proceed to The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
9) On the note of third-party collaboration, go to SMT x Fire Emblem (unlikely, but still)
10) On the note of epic RPGs, transition to Monolith Soft's X (and 3DS title, why not)
11) Touch on story-driven games for NA: Bravely Default, Layton vs. AA, MonHun 4
12) Highlight major RPGs Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (first simultaneous global launch)

Best conference direct ever.

Meelow

Banned

You forgot Sonic Lost World, and other titles, as well as new unannounced titles.

If it went even half this well, I'd be content. And that's leaving out other 3rd-party projects like Sonic Lost World, as well as new games we haven't heard of at all yet.

Too well-planned and well-paced. Won't happen. And the funny thing is that you're really not extrapolating too much stuff that they haven't announced already. Only Retro's game and Treasure's game.

Back when Nintendo was still doing the press conference thing, I always thought they should've hired a director of live events to plan these things for them. A little foresight (like what you've done) goes a long way towards making a compelling event and showing off your products in the best light.

Alienous

That would be perfect if it ended with Iwata saying "Please understand", giving the cameras a cheeky smile, then walking off stage.

Despite I'd love this to happen, there's a big deal.

There won't be new announcements.

All of this are titles we already know that exist.

We need new games.

Volotaire

Despite I'd love this to happen, there's a big deal.

There won't be new announcements.

All od this are titles we already know that exist.

We need new games.

Well yes and know. We know there's a 3D Mario and retro game but we know nothing about them except what we can decipher from developer quotes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

tumblr_ly24uxnFXb1r4jpm5o1_500_zpsea610d8c.gif

Top Bottom