• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jóhann Jóhannsson (Prisoners, Sicario) will score Blade Runner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

Hmm. The Vangelis score for Blade Runner was so perfect for the film I'm not sure how a different sound will work. Still,mix liked his other work so here's hoping it fits.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I don't remember anything from the Sicario OST save for the drone.

Was really hoping Vangelis would be brought back, or maybe someone who understands dark/retro synth, maybe even from the synthwave scene.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This movie is really shaping up to be something special. I hope it delivers.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Was really hoping Vangelis would be brought back, or maybe someone who understands dark/retro synth, maybe even from the synthwave scene.
Who is to say johansson doesn't have a few tricks up his sleeves? He's a very adept musician and you can hear all sorts of influences in his music. I think we're in for a hat trick here.

jett

D-Member

Yes. It's not a particularly thought-provoking choice. Just Villenueve bringing along his mate.

Watch him score a better soundtrack than Vangelis did thirty years ago.

The odds on that are microscopically small.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
He's an excellent musician. I should go listen to more of his music.

His work on Sicario is incredible.

Watch him score a better soundtrack than Vangelis did thirty years ago.

Most probably that will not happen, in the same way that even if the movie turns out to be excellent, it will not top Blade Runner.

I hope Johannsson pays a bit of homage to Vangelis style of composition, while at the same time brings his own flavour.

Strax

Jóhann has come a long way

2467_500.jpg

Mr. Hyde

Why not an instrumental perturbator soundtrack? I love Johann though. I listen to fordlandia a lot. I hope for the best.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Why not an instrumental perturbator soundtrack? I love Johann though. I listen to fordlandia a lot. I hope for the best.

They should totally get Perturbator or Dynatron for this. Hell, even Makeup and Vanity Set. But I guess having a big-ass composer helps in marketing or something.

-Mikey-

I wanted to call this in the last thread, dammit!! Any worries I had about a sequel are completely gone at this point. Looking forward to teaser in the future!

Ridley327

They should totally get Perturbator or Dynatron for this. Hell, even Makeup and Vanity Set. But I guess having a big-ass composer helps in marketing or something.

I don't think there's are too many synthwave acts that have done scoring before. Off the top of my head, it's basically MAVS and Protector 101. I guess you could lump in John Carpenter in with that crowd these days, but that's super cheating.

Jóhannsson is an obvious pick, but I've loved his work on Villeneuve's films in the past, and I doubt this will be any different. Vangelis casts a long shadow, but I think it's OK to not rehash his work.

jett

D-Member
0.1% chance of that I'd say. Not even in a ones better than the other way but BR soundtrack is lightning in a bottle good/unique and the odds are simply againts the guy.

Vangelis's Blade Runner is simply one of the best soundtracks of all-time. My personal favorite, I listen to it on a nearly weekly basis. Saying that Johannsson is going to top it with such conviction is just ridiculous.

I expect something that fits the movie Villeneuve makes, and that's about it.

JSR_Cube

Could have been worse composers to score it so I am okay with it.

Honestly, I love the original soundtrack but I am not surprised that Vangelis isn't doing it. Do we know he was even interested in doing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom