• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jóhann Jóhannsson (Prisoners, Sicario) will score Blade Runner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Could have been worse composers to score it so I am okay with it.

Honestly, I love the original soundtrack but I am not surprised that Vangelis isn't doing it. Do we know he was even interested in doing it?

That would depend on someone finding him to be able to ask that question in the first place!

All kidding aside, he is definitely a guy that values his privacy.

Fjordson

Vangelis' work for the first Blade Runner is maybe my favourite film score ever, but I'm kinda glad he isn't doing this. I feel like it'd be so hard to match the original, even for him, and it could fall into being just an imitation of that first movie. Feels right to have someone fresh doing it.

I was hoping they would get Johnny Jewel for this. He scored Ryan Gosling's directorial debut Lost River. A pretty forgettable movie, but a hell of a soundtrack with some cyberpunk vibes. He's a great producer.

Aurongel

I kind of admire the idea of moving away from the most immediately iconic parts of the first film. Plus his work on Sicario added SOOOO much to the tension of that film. If it wasn't going to be Vangelis or Disasterpeace then this is an acceptable pick.

Atenhaus

Okay, real talk - who has actually listened to Vangelis outside of the Blade Runner OST? If so, you'll know he's... not that great.

Nice. He's a good composer and the more Villeneuve makes this his own rather than aping Ridley's movie, the better it will end up in the long run.

Simo

Very cool.

Warner Bros. officially confirmed it today and sent out a press release:
Jóhann Jóhannsson, the Golden Globe-winning, Oscar, BAFTA and Grammy-nominated composer has been announced as the composer for the upcoming Blade Runner sequel's score. Directed by long-time collaborator Denis Villeneuve, who have worked together previously on films The Prisoner, Sicario, and the upcoming film Arrival, (out November 11 in the US), the film stars Harrison Ford, Jared Leto, and Ryan Gosling, amongst others. The upcoming Blade Runner sequel is currently slated for a theatrical release on October 6th, 2017.

-shadow-

Really disappointed that Vangelis won't be doing the soundtrack. I have never heard anything of the new guy so I'm not against it. But really wish Vangelis would've been brought back. That soundtrack he did is absolutely insane!

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/16/31/480x240/landscape-1470328666-alexander-gif.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Good soundtrack, shame that it had it's painfully obvious roots in the soundtrack of 1492.

Johannsson is great, Fordlandia and The Miners' Hymns are some of my favourite albums ever, he has an uncanny talent for expressing complex moods or feelings.

jett

D-Member
Okay, real talk - who has actually listened to Vangelis outside of the Blade Runner OST? If so, you'll know he's... not that great.

mYJHM4u.gif

Moxica and The Horse

Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria

Antarctica

Alpha

Memories of Blue

Heaven and Hell - Movement 3 (from Symphony to the Powers B)

Missing

Conquest of Paradise

His 1492 soundtrack is fantastic, I'd be hard-pressed to choose between it and Blade Runner.

Expected. I really liked his Sicario work, can't remember a thing about the Prisoners one.

I'm kinda sad. It's a lost opportunity. I love Blade Runner as a whole, but I would probably put Vangelis work as the most positively differentiating factor of the movie. Without that sound texture it's a whole different thing. You can listen to similar sounds and that imagetic is immediatly projected to you. Cause of Vangelis.

wut

Dude's discography is amazing. He's a fucking legend.

-shadow-

I have almost every single album/soundtrack he has put out on CD and most on vinyl. So yes. Yes I have and never have I seen such a false statement.

mYJHM4u.gif

His 1492 soundtrack is fantastic, I'd be hard-pressed to choose between it and Blade Runner.
As amazing as 1492 is, and thank you for bolding Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria (Into Eternity) people always go for the obvious main theme, might I add a couple of non soundtrack related pieces of music?

Albedo 0.39 - Alpha
Spiral - To The Unknown Man/Spiral - To The Unknown Man 2 (only released as a single until (2013)
China - Himalaya
Opera Sauvage - Flamants Roses
Technically a soundtrack, but who's seen the film anyway?
Mask - Movement Part 4
Direct - Elsewhere
The City - Procession
Voices - Losing Sleep (Still My Heart)
El Greco - Movement X (Epilogue)
Oceanic - Fields of Coral
Alexander - Roxanne's Veil

And let us not forget the fucking entirety of 666!

And because I can't leave this out because I freaking love this track, but it's really different from the rest Spiral - Spiral

I have almost every single album/soundtrack he has put out on CD and most on vinyl. So yes. Yes I have and never have I seen such a false statement.

As amazing as 1492 is, and thank you for bolding Pinta, Nina, Santa Maria (Into Eternity) people always go for the obvious main theme, might I add a couple of non soundtrack related pieces of music?

Albedo 0.39 - Alpha
Spiral - To The Unknown Man/Spiral - To The Unknown Man 2 (only released as a single until (2013)
China - Himalaya
Opera Sauvage - Flamants Roses
Technically a soundtrack, but who's seen the film anyway?
Mask - Movement Part 4
Direct - Elsewhere
The City - Procession
Voices - Losing Sleep (Still My Heart)
El Greco - Movement X (Epilogue)
Oceanic - Fields of Coral
Alexander - Roxanne's Veil

And let us not forget the fucking entirety of 666!

And because I can't leave this out because I freaking love this track, but it's really different from the rest Spiral - Spiral
Ooh, some of my absolute favourite Vangelis pieces of music right there! Himalaya is fucking amazing when played LOUD (as in 500 watts loud).

Fluvian

Banned
If they drop Harrison ford and not make it a direct sequel to Blade runner it will be perfect.
All I want is a new Blade runner movie set in that universe, I don't care what happened to Deckard after the first film.

choco-fish

I was hoping that M83 might get to score this, the Oblivion soundtrack was the best thing about that film and I really think they'd have done something amazing. New album and tour probably ruled them out.

JSR_Cube

I was listening to 1492 the past two days after Vangelis got trashed a bit in this thread. What a great soundtrack.

Noirulus

People are so cynical nowadays after all the remake flops but this sequel has real talent behind it.

I'm not denying the talent behind it. I'm just certain that it'll go for another high budget film style and maybe do well critically, but miss the style, look, and pacing of the original Blade Runner entirely.

HariKari

I'm not denying the talent behind it. I'm just certain that it'll go for another high budget film style and maybe do well critically, but miss the style, look, and pacing of the original Blade Runner entirely.

Are you familiar with Villeneuve's work, though? If I had to make a bleak, dystopian movie, he'd be in the top 3 of appropriate directors. I don't think Roger Deakins needs any real explaining. He can make the movie look and feel right, without question. Johansson isn't Vangelis and is perhaps the biggest unknown but if you look at how his scores have worked into Villeneuve's movies before, I'm not worried in the slightest.

I don't think missing the point or style of the original factors into the equation for anybody involved in this.

Moonkid

The people coming to the conclusion that there won't be music similar to that of the original film are being silly. First off it's not exactly a rare talent to make that kind of music, and secondly considering that Johannsson has more than dabbled in electronic music before, I would expect he's going to flex his muscles there again. Even if he had no experience with it before, what's stopping him from just picking it up and learning by getting some help/consultants? He's a prolific composer in Europe for pete's sake, even if he doesn't know any electronic music makers personally he could get in touch in a day. Maybe if he was a folk band I could see where people are coming from but he's a composer! He's not pigeon-holed into one style and any composer worth their salt should be able to make a synthy soundtrack if need be. I also wouldn't be surprised if they got one of the retro wave musicians to contribute to a track or something.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The people coming to the conclusion that there won't be music similar to that of the original film are being silly. First off it's not exactly a rare talent to make that kind of music, and secondly considering that Johannsson has more than dabbled in electronic music before, I would expect he's going to flex his muscles there again. Even if he had no experience with it before, what's stopping him from just picking it up and learning by getting some help/consultants? He's a prolific composer in Europe for pete's sake, even if he doesn't know any electronic music makers personally he could get in touch in a day. Maybe if he was a folk band I could see where people are coming from but he's a composer! He's not pigeon-holed into one style and any composer worth their salt should be able to make a synthy soundtrack if need be. I also wouldn't be surprised if they got one of the retro wave musicians to contribute to a track or something.
Basically all this. The pessimism in this thread is just absurd. Vangelis was fine. He made a great soundtrack 30+ years ago but he's influenced a base of musicians since then that have grown and developed their own textures and pallets the world has yet to fully experience. Closing yourself off and pretending like the soundtrack could have no equal honestly makes you sound like a rather boring person with bland taste and closed ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom