• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrival |OT| Director Denis Villeneuve, Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (11/11 wide)

Kvik

I saw this on the weekend, came out very impressed and thought about it a lot on the way home.

A very touching story with a bit of science to drive things forward. I didn't realize OCR has become very advanced whilst I'm not looking.

Although I don't have family of my own, I can relate on how Louise chooses her future and her actions, although she knows how it would end up.

Would definitely add this to my Blu-ray collection.

MattyG

Banned
Oh. My. God. That was one of the most beautiful, powerful films I've ever seen. Totally exceeded my expectations (and made me tear up/cry about 6 times).

We are assuming that only Louise was the only one given the gift of circular memory... Louise was "1 of 12". Perhaps Shang was also given the gift? Perhaps the gift was given to a person at each landing site?

It's simpler than that. We see a flash forward of her published book on the language and her teaching a class/seminar on it. It can be implied the general learned a little of it himself. No "gift" needed to be given or anything like that

Also, I have to say I LOVE
circular time travel stories. But I always dread the GAF discussion when people always go "Well x and y would cause a paradox...". STOP. The second you start thinking of paradoxes, the second you apply linear time logic, and the second you ensure you're not going to understand

number11

I'm confused how other people can be confused about the ending. It's not like the film was subtle in explaining what happened.

Toothless

Arrival really works. Villeneuve has been a rising director that has intrigued me, but never really made a truly fantastic film until now. The twisty plot is constantly compelling, and for once, grounded in an actual emotional story. The other two films of Villeneuve I've seen are cold, methodical movies; this is a warm piece of cinema, thanks to the strongest script Villeneuve has directed yet, along with a new sense of scope for his directing style to sink into.

But enough about Villeneuve; it'd be a shame not to talk about Arrival's cast. Mainly, Amy Adams gives one of her best performances yet. She takes an impossible experience, and allows the audience to experience it alongside her with her monumental sinking into her character. It's powerful, and one of the best aspects of an already great film. Renner is a likable presence too, and the few points where he has more to work with, he delivers absolutely phenomenal acting. The film is pretty much a two person show, but that's fine, really.

Technically, the film is at the top of its game. The visual effects are very good, and Johan Johansson's score is the first time he's really impressed this reviewer. It's ethereal and haunting in an elegant manner that also has its own unique flavor. Also, one might've been worried without Roger Deakins for cinematography, but Bradford Young more than delivers a beautiful film; there are plenty of iconic shots in this to go around.

There's a lot to talk about in-depth for Arrival, but it'd be best for audiences to just go out and discover it for themselves. Arrival is one of the best science fiction films in years, with fantastic direction, a really magical script, and an incredibly strong central performance. This film must not be missed.

watershed

Banned
Arrival really works. Villeneuve has been a rising director that has intrigued me, but never really made a truly fantastic film until now. The twisty plot is constantly compelling, and for once, grounded in an actual emotional story. The other two films of Villeneuve I've seen are cold, methodical movies; this is a warm piece of cinema, thanks to the strongest script Villeneuve has directed yet, along with a new sense of scope for his directing style to sink into.

But enough about Villeneuve; it'd be a shame not to talk about Arrival's cast. Mainly, Amy Adams gives one of her best performances yet. She takes an impossible experience, and allows the audience to experience it alongside her with her monumental sinking into her character. It's powerful, and one of the best aspects of an already great film. Renner is a likable presence too, and the few points where he has more to work with, he delivers absolutely phenomenal acting. The film is pretty much a two person show, but that's fine, really.

Technically, the film is at the top of its game. The visual effects are very good, and Johan Johansson's score is the first time he's really impressed this reviewer. It's ethereal and haunting in an elegant manner that also has its own unique flavor. Also, one might've been worried without Roger Deakins for cinematography, but Bradford Young more than delivers a beautiful film; there are plenty of iconic shots in this to go around.

There's a lot to talk about in-depth for Arrival, but it'd be best for audiences to just go out and discover it for themselves. Arrival is one of the best science fiction films in years, with fantastic direction, a really magical script, and an incredibly strong central performance. This film must not be missed.

Did you just copy and paste a review or are you referring to yourself as "this reviewer?"

A-V-B

Didnt love this movie like most, but I will say everything about the first encounter sequence was A+. The dramatic build-up by placing us directly in Dr. Banks shoes, by having only as much information as she does, the behind the head shots with the deep focus of all the background activity, the superb physical performance of Amy Adams, Bradford Young's wonderful photography, that great alien droning sound from Johann Johannsson, the fantastic CG for the alien ship and the aliens themselves, how the quiet tension is interupted by very specific noises on the sound design(the sudden jolting grab of Weber on Banks' suit, the bird chirping). Its hard not to invoke Kubrick because of the 2001-esque black monolith, but there's an exactness in all the elements of craft to create a very specific tone or feeling Villeneuve wants the audience to experience. Just a lot of things working in unison to create a really awesome sequence. And I mean "awesome" in the original sense, that it inspires awe. I cant remember the last time an alien meeting seemed so ominous.

I don't need to say anything, this is pretty much everything lol

Dennis is one hell of a director

Aselith

Man, this movie is really great! Beautiful and very moving at the end. I was goddamn choking up at the end there. Renner surprised me in this because I generally don't like him. Not that he was particularly great but he at least didn't take me out of it with hammy acting. From the trailers, I was a little worried about Amy Adams performance as some lines hit me a little weird but she was, of course, fantastic.

I can't wait to see what Villanueve does with Blade Runner and I need to go back and watch his stuff I haven't seen. He's two for two with me between this and Sicario. I actually have Prisoners but never got around to it so it's time! :p

Was this filmed in 60fps? It had a weird look to it that I associate with 60FPS like a BBC-ish ness if that makes sense? I wasn't sure if it was the filmic technique or a projection issue.

watershed

Banned
Man, this movie is really great! Beautiful and very moving at the end. I was goddamn choking up at the end there. Renner surprised me in this because I generally don't like him not that he was particularly great but he at least didn't take me out of it with hammy acting. From the trailers, I was a little worried about Amy Adams performance as some lines hit me a little weird but she was, of course, fantastic.

I can't wait to see what Villanueve does with Blade Runner and I need to go back and watch his stuff I haven't seen. He's two for two with me between this and Sicario. I actually have Prisoners but never got around to it so it's time! :p

Was this filmed in 60fps? It had a weird look to it that I associate with 60FPS like a BBC-ish ness if that makes sense? I wasn't sure if it was the filmic technique or a projection issue.

Not 60fps. That would have looked awful. I'm not aware of any special filming technique. Definitely plays at a normal fps though.

Saw it and liked it--the brainy bits at least. It was as intelligent as I expected Interstellar to be.

Movie was a little uneven, though. Amy Adams performance was the highlight for me, but Renner's character was eh, and Whitaker's accent annoyed the hell out of me.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Really enjoyed it but I tilted my head at the way that Amy Adams' character
convinces the Chinese General to stand down
The movie kind of sets up
time as being as being linear and defined. If she learned his wife's dying words in the future to cause that future isn't that paradoxical? Her memories if you can call them that are restricted to a timeline in which she gets with Renner and has a child and the child dies of a rare illness. If they had shown her seeing all kinds of stuff that'd be more in line with a multiverse theory but that's not what we have here. Also the way she finds out was weirdly on the nose, "You told me my wife's dying words","Oh yeah, here's my private number." What?

Great movie otherwise.

I think you mean "non-linear". The point is time isn't linear at all to people or creatures that can perceive the 4th dimension which is time.

Number45

I'm confused how other people can be confused about the ending. It's not like the film was subtle in explaining what happened.
I feel like everyone in the showing I went to came out disappointed that there were no explosions. I'd only seen a single trailer though and part of me understands why they went in expecting something like Independence Day.

Went in almost completely blind (I had a few hours to kill in a strange town and it was the only film I could see in that time) and I absolutely loved it from start to finish. Will probably pick it up on Blu-Ray.

number11

What was your interpretation of the ending?

I mean..
Learning the language allowed Amy Adams to perceive time in a non linear way. The scenes with her daughter were in the future
. I know some people are discussing the film on a deeper level, but that part should be obvious right?

Absolutely wonderful. Adult, eerie science fiction with an incredible message. You won't be ready. Adams 'puts on a clinic' as the youths say.

Soundtrack is The Shining and 2001 levels of perfection.

I mean..
Learning the language allowed Amy Adams to perceive time in a non linear way. The scenes with her daughter were in the future
. I know some people are discussing the film on a deeper level, but that part should be obvious right?

That's what I thought, which is why I'm confused why some people are making the ending out to be super open ended

I had a major death anxiety attack after the movie :-(

existential-dread.jpg

shira

I wasn't aware there was even room for multiple interpretations

I mean..

I watched it twice and I have a theory there is a different interpretation

You can check it out on the spoiler thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224395731&postcount=261

I mean..

But
there is no future.

MattyG

Banned
This is less about the movie and more about something that's stemmed out of how much I adore it after only one viewing, so sorry if this is too personal or anything. It's just something I've been thinking about a lot. (Also it's 230am here and I can't sleep, so please excuse my rambling and pontificating.)

I want to know if there's any rhyme or reason to how the filmmakers wrote the language. This movie feels like it has had more of an impact on me than any I've seen in years, mostly due to its messages, and because of that, I want to know how to translate a specific word into
heptapod (I'll put it in spoilers since they didn't really ever say the aliens names in marketing)
. I'm not 100% on it, but I'd like to get a certain word or phrase in that language as my first tattoo.

Without getting too into it, my dad is sick, has been for years and will probably pass within the next few. I've always known I was going to get a tattoo in his honor, I just didn't want it to be a generic/corny one so I waited until something interesting came to mind. I think the
message/reason behind why the language is written how it is combined with the revelation that it brings Adams' character about her daughter, that even knowing how everything will end if she has her she still chooses to live the moments in between, is a really cool thing that can be summed up in one small symbol.

I doubt that they actually fully developed the language since that would be a huge undertaking, but it'd be really cool if there was a way to figure it out.

frontovik

Banned
I got to say I was intrigued by the film's premise and the GAF hype, and I was frankly disappointed and bored with it. I felt that it had similar themes with Interstellar, and that movie was far better in conveying its messages.

Helmholtz

I got to say I was intrigued by the film's premise and the GAF hype, and I was frankly disappointed and bored with it. I felt that it had similar themes with Interstellar, and that movie was far better in conveying its messages.
I feel the same way. Honestly I thought a lot of the plot points were pretty dumb. Like if you think about some of the stuff that went on in this movie it's laughable. When the title came up on the screen at the end I couldn't help but think, 'that's it?'.
I feel like with this premise and some of the visuals it had going on, there could have been a good, interesting movie here. But instead it just felt pretty dumbed down and I just didn't buy much of it.

Absolutely loved this movie. The way they took the really relevant theme of communication and wove it into a twisty, spacetime sci-fi plot was wonderfully done. And that's not to mention the great effects, powerful soundtrack, and beautiful camera work. This is up there with Green Room as my favorite movies of the year.

God I'm excited for Blade Runner 2049.

Vazduh

Amazing movie that only cements (at least for me) Dennis Villeneuve as one of the best directors working today. For the fans of sci-fi, this is a must watch, although I'd easily recommend this to anyone.

Expecting only incredible things from Blade Runner 2049.

d00d3n

This just came out in Sweden, so I had to watch it immediately due to my Denis Villeneuve fandom. I really enjoyed the movie, and Amy Adams was spectacular in it, but the linguistics aspect seems incredibly oversold in the pre-release information and the reviews. I was fully expecting the protagonist to come up with clever interpretations of an unknown language based on logic to show her competence, but we got very little of that in the first 90 minutes, followed by the movie abandoning linguistics entirely in favor of
time travel mechanics
for its resolution. A bit disappointing.

Number45

This just came out in Sweden, so I had to watch it immediately due to my Denis Villeneuve fandom. I really enjoyed the movie, and Amy Adams was spectacular in it, but the linguistics aspect seems incredibly oversold in the pre-release information and the reviews. I was fully expecting the protagonist to come up with clever interpretations of an unknown language based on logic to show her competence, but we got very little of that in the first 90 minutes, followed by the movie abandoning linguistics entirely in favor of
time travel mechanics
for its resolution. A bit disappointing.
You might want to check out the spoiler thread. There's no
time travel
in this film.

d00d3n

time travel
in this film.

I don't want to sound condescending, but what is your point? The distinction that you want to make seems like splitting hairs and has no bearing on the point I was trying to make.

Number45

I don't want to sound condescending, but what is your point? The distinction that you want to make seems like splitting hairs and has no bearing on the point I was trying to make.
Suggesting that it's a lazy way out, like it wasn't an integral part of many scenes in the film from the very beginning.

nomis

I had a major death anxiety attack after the movie :-(

Fascinating that I had the exact same response about 50% of the way through and by the finish did a complete 180 to a remarkable sense of calm about life like a film has never given me before

This was some beautiful shit

Just saw this tonight. Beautiful movie. Really loved how the aliens were REALLY alien. Amy Adams deserved a Oscar nod; heart-breaking performance.

time travel
in this film.

Nah he's right.
Whether there's physical transportation or merely information passing back and forth, the same paradoxes and logic issues apply. For example, if you physically go back in time and kill yourself, preventing your future travel, that's a paradox. If you passed a message along to someone else in the past through a text message and convinced them to kill you, preventing you from sending the future message, the same paradox applies. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Number45

Nah he's right.
Whether there's physical transportation or merely information passing back and forth, the same paradoxes and logic issues apply. For example, if you physically go back in time and kill yourself, preventing your future travel, that's a paradox. If you passed a message along to someone else in the past through a text message and convinced them to kill you, preventing you from sending the future message, the same paradox applies. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.
But the issue he took isn't with any
paradoxes. It's that time travel was a lazy way out, as if it was just a neat convenient way to close out the story that was otherwise nothing to do with being able to "be" in multiple moments non-sequentially

But the issue he took isn't with any
paradoxes. It's that time travel was a lazy way out, as if it was just a neat convenient way to close out the story that was otherwise nothing to do with being able to "be" in multiple moments non-sequentially

It certainly was an easy way out though, since it provided a super fast way for her to say the magic words and solve the plot at the end. She didn't think of anything that might change his mind, instead the answer was delivered on a silver platter by an illogical time paradox.

Top Bottom