• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jacinda Ardern is next prime minister of New Zealand (after 9 years of right wing)

Alienfan

1501826987226.jpg

Labour leader Jacinda Ardern has led the party to an incredible comeback.
Just seven weeks before the election, Ms Ardern was selected to lead the Labour Party. Several major polls were showing the party's popularity under former leader Andrew Little sinking to 24 percent.
Almost as soon as Ms Ardern took power, the party rose in the polls to a final result of 36.9 percent.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/election/2017/10/the-incredible-rise-of-jacinda-ardern.html

Jacinda Ardern will be New Zealand's next prime minister after a small political party chose to make a deal with liberals following the nation's election nearly a month ago.

At 37 years old, Ardern will be the nation's youngest leader in more than 150 years. She has been compared to other young, charismatic leaders such as President Emmanuel Macron in France and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in Canada.

New Zealand First leader Winston Peters announced Thursday that his party had decided to enter a coalition with Ardern's Labour Party. The liberal Green Party will support the coalition but won't be a part of the government.

New Zealanders have been waiting since the Sept. 23 election to find out who will govern after the election ended without a clear winner.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/article179657486.html

m3k

niceeeeee! haha i was thinking about this the other day and just assumed the right would win

she came out of nowhere lol

Mimosa97

Read an article about her a few weeks ago. Crazy story.

The wave of young politicians winning national elections keeps going : Tsipras, Trudeau, Macron, Kurz etc.. and now her. Pretty refreshing tbh.

Bonus :
The UK hasn’t had a prime minister younger than 40 since 1732 (lol)

About damn time.

The country needed and voted for a change. It might crash and burn, but at least the government will start looking at some seriously neglected corners of NZ society.

Also it's going to be weird having a PM younger than me.

the_id

I voted for her knowing that her party would increase taxes for my bracket. There are so many things that need to be fixed such as housing, healthcare, environment and foreign investments.

lupinko

Read an article about her a few weeks ago. Crazy story.

The wave of young politicians winning national elections keeps going : Tsipras, Trudeau, Macron, Kurz etc.. and now her. Pretty refreshing tbh.

Bonus :
The UK hasn’t had a prime minister younger than 40 since 1732 (lol)

Trudeau is in his 40s.

It was less bummed and more "this is great but Winston Peters."

Still, a Labour/NZ First/Greens coalition will be far, far better than another three years of National. I'm drinking National's tears right now.

Oh god Facebook is awash with salty tears. It's glorious.

I believe since Obama's reelection in Nov 2012, only the following democracies have gone from a conservative to a center-left government.

Italy
Chile
Portugal
Canada
South Korea
Taiwan
New Zealand

Might be forgetting some, and this could be very western-centric.

Sure but he's going to rolled sooner or later. Can't run someone in 3 years who's lost twice before.

Yeah depends how thirsty some of those National MPs are. RNZ made a good argument that keeping English gives them a good "I told you so" package in 3 years should this coalition burst into flames.

Jimrpg

She's one year older than me, and there's no way I could be leader of a country.

Best of Luck to her.

Meanwhile Australia stays losing with old dinosaurs and old values.

Window

Kinda surprised tbh as I imagined there would greater overlap in policy between National and NZ First than Labour/Greens and NZ First. Wonder what compromises were made to arrive at this deal.

Mathieran

Banned
Seems to be the common thread with liberals winning lately is youth and charisma. Get on it democrats. People are shallow and easily charmed.

Huh, this is a surprise. Good on her. Nice to see a left-leaning government for once.

She's one year older than me, and there's no way I could be leader of a country.

Best of Luck to her.

Meanwhile Australia stays losing with old dinosaurs and old values.

Good job, New Zealand. Hopefully we follow you over in Australia as soon as possible.

We'd have turfed the Coalition by now if the realisation that Turnbull is a useless tool had settled in sooner. Fortunately, we're also on-track to give them the boot in the next election, and nothing short of a sudden catastrophe or a complete shift in policy direction will save them, they're a dead government walking. I wouldn't be surprised if Turnbull gets turfed after the 30 Newspolls behind in the polls mark is up and whoever succeeds him cocks things up further for the Libs - there's nobody left in the party as competent as him except maybe Julie Bishop, and there's no chance she's becoming PM because the Libs are sexist bastards.

Meadows

Banned
I believe since Obama's reelection in Nov 2012, only the following democracies have gone from a conservative to a center-left government.

Italy
Chile
Portugal
Canada
South Korea
Taiwan
New Zealand

Might be forgetting some, and this could be very western-centric.

In Taiwan the situation is much more complicated and I'd be very hesitant to lump it in with all of the others. My GF is from Taiwan and I lived there for a while. I read Taiwanese news regularly and have been watching Tsai with a lot of intrigue.

While there is some degree of progressive vs conservative, the over-riding political axis is closer to China vs less dependent on China.

It's very complicated. South Korea as well (because of corruption more than necessarily a shift in the public's thinking).

Bill English doomed to never be elected Prime Minister.
Lol no. You're wrong.
Labour has unfortunately embraced / succumbed to some xenophobic populist crap at times. Winston in government will not help this.

This coalition arrangement is similar to the Clark government with Peters I guess.

I wonder what the Greens get out of this deal. Other than Not National.

It's relatively easy for Labor parties to placate the Greens in Oz/NZ when the two parties aren't doing the political equivalent of product differentiation, the transition between the Left of Labor and the Right of the Greens is generally fairly smooth ideology wise and the lack of FPTP avoids a lot of the US style extremely bad blood.

Random17

The Kansas article calling them the Liberals is cringe.

Anywho, I'm glad there's been a change of government, very dangerous to have anybody in power in NZ for too long. They get... Complacent

Top Bottom