• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jade Raymond leaves Ubisoft

jelly

Good luck to her wherever she lands.

Only thing we should be interested in, can she propel a team to make a great game not a lone creative game genius responsible for Assassins Creed etc. which is unfair to her and other Ubisoft staff, let alone ludicrous. So many cooks involved. Like any other studio, certain people step up for PR.

We don't hold Frankie up as the genius behind Halo or is he just hiding in plain sight.

Wthermans

Banned
Yeah, posting that was extremely unnecessary
I do not agree reminding people of horrid gaming history (that can be found with a GAF search) is unnecessary.

I do agree it was unnecessary for PA to create that content. I would also say it was unnecessary for Ubi's to focus on her looks instead of the game like they did during the pre-launch interviews.

Edit: the content was created by Chugworth Academy.

Nah, it was the guy that did Chugworth Academy, not PA.

Pyccko

Ask Penny Arcade.

IIRC they were responsible. Don't forget the dickwolves controversy.

My though is they were trying to showcase Ubi's constant promotion of her but very little of the other team members.

Nah, it was the guy that did Chugworth Academy, not PA.

FluxWaveZ

I do not agree reminding people of horrid gaming history (that can be found with a GAF search) is unnecessary.

I do agree it was unnecessary for PA to create that content. I would also say it was unnecessary for Ubi's to focus on her looks instead of the game like they did during the pre-launch interviews.

I don't even see how posting that was relevant to this discussion, or even to the person you were replying to. Why do you think we should be reminded of that here, of all places? It's unnecessary and irrelevant.

jett

D-Member
I doubt she'll have a hard time finding work. Here's hoping she gets a huge check to go get Metroid back on track over at Nintendo.

...what do you expect Jade Raymond to bring to the Metroid franchise? :lol She's not a game designer. I expect her to find work managing vast resources of people again, since that's what she knows.

Crocodile

I hadn't heard a lot about her since AC1 so I had no idea what she was doing since. Unfortunately, I know exactly why I hadn't heard a lot from her and its a shame as I feel it prevented her from building much positive notoriety in game development that a lot of other key figures built up over the years :( Hope she has a good time at whatever new employment opportunity she finds herself in!

Wthermans

Banned
I don't even see how posting that was relevant to this discussion, or even to the person you were replying to. Why do you think we should be reminded of that here, of all places? It's unnecessary and irrelevant.
He asked why her looks were an issue. I cited the sources of the controversy and YOU clicked on the NSFW link with a description of the content.

It's completely relevant to the quote I replied to.

Why everyone is talking that Toronto studio is doomed or that Splinter Cell is doomed? Yeah Ubisoft spent millions of dollars to create state of the art studio and it will turn it in support studio after one department.
I don't know, but having $263 Million dollars over 10 years in tax breaks for hiring 800 staff to do support may not be too bad of an incentive. Bides them enough time to figure out whether they can actually go through a full AAA production.

Fake Edit; god damn, that article from 2011 is an interesting look at history to see how much has changed in Ontario alone.

Dachande

I wonder what she'll do now.

She hasn't been in the news much recently, which probably doesn't mean much anyway, but still interesting to note. I guess she was just constantly head-down keeping Ubi Toronto running the past few years. Not exactly press-friendly work, after all.

Karkador

Banned
...what do you expect Jade Raymond to bring to the Metroid franchise? :lol She's not a game designer. I expect her to find work managing vast resources of people again, since that's what she knows.

She should go put the team together that will make Shenmue 3. After all, what were the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors made of? Jade.

Best of luck to her.

Just gonna call this out, what's been their main game in Toronto after Blacklist? For a studio setup to do Splinter cell, it's certainly not doing a lot of that. Also, she's not the first relatively high profile departure post Blacklist. Patrick Redding also left for WB Montreal.

From the Unity dev videos it seems they're having an integral role in it. Also there was an article where it was said they're working on multiple games, the Ubi way I presume, where multiple studios are working on one game.

Genio88

She's been gathering a lot of money in 15 years at Ubisoft, maybe now she'll start her own game studio just like Cliffy B did previously

PrestigiousGargantuanCrownofthornsstarfish.gif

This. Never really payed attention to her, last I knew of her she was at an E3 stage playing the first AC. Shame as the story was intriguing and very interesting but now it got in a blender of clusterfuck of a mess due to milking.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
From the Unity dev videos it seems they're having an integral role in it. Also there was an article where it was said they're working on multiple games, the Ubi way I presume, where multiple studios are working on one game.
Yeah, it just makes me wonder if they will ever be leads on a game again or if they're just going to be the support team that works on a dozen other Tom Clancy titles making art assets or whatever.

Vespene

She never struck me as a creative force or anything of the like in gaming. If anything, she was the pretty face behind the initial Assassin's Creed 1 marketing blitz. That was in 2007... is she all that relevant still?

Go back and look at all the assassins creed 1 promos and marketing, she was in everything. I am not saying she was just a pretty face, as I said , the game being awesome is also why it succeeded.

She took a back seat after ac1 but I remember her being pushed front and centre ALOT for AC1.

well i never even purchased ac1 and cant remember any adverts of the game but if u are seriously suggesting people bought ac games just because she was a director then my mind is blown.

Top Bottom