• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak and Daxter PS2 Trilogy (and Jak X) coming to PS4 via PS2 Classics

rackham

Banned
Great games for their time but I won't be buying this again.

Where my .hack games and yu yu hakusho games Sony?

So that means that almost all of Playstation ND games are or will be playable on PS4. Lets hope Crash Trilogy sells enough copies to get a CTR remake.

Aren't the Jak games difficult to emulate because of their bespoke programming for the PS2? May be half-remembering something I heard years ago. But the PS4's PS2 emulator must be fairly accurate.

Good. I already got the Jak trilogy collection but it'll be nice to be able to play Jak X again. Especially now that I'll own a copy that doesn't wipe out my entire PS2 memory card...

Also, I love you Naughty Dog, but this...

hqdefault.jpg

Trophy name for getting Ellie to play an arcade version of Jak X

Just made you look insecure and pretentious.
Lmao what the fuck? They just poking a little fun. Christ.

Can. Not. Freakin'. Wait.

Jak 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. I never beat it and haven't played it since release and have been itching to play it for, like, years.

Marquis

Banned
Shit on my dick ! Boy have I been waiting for these for so long. Why does it take Sony so abysmally long to release new PS2 classics. Can you guys imagine the PS4 if PSN was actually a good service? Games upon games to play.

Onaco

Aren't the Jak games difficult to emulate because of their bespoke programming for the PS2? May be half-remembering something I heard years ago. But the PS4's PS2 emulator must be fairly accurate.

They touched the PS1 side of the console to help make loading times smoother. That was a no-no according to Sony because they feared it could break. (I think they planned to axe the PS1 side of the PS2 slim and realized they now had to keep it).

Hexa

It's a downgrade, unfortunately. And I'm sure it willl be an expensive one at that

This is what I'm worried about. The PS3 remaster had a lot of extra work put into it. If this is just straight up emulation, it'll be lacking.

Fisty

This is what I'm worried about. The PS3 remaster had a lot of extra work put into it. If this is just straight up emulation, it'll be lacking.

Oh god, I just had a daymare where they released emulated versions of Ico and SOTC on PS4 instead of the PS3 Remasters

giphy.gif

Announcing Jak And Daxter PS2 Classics for PS4 at this period is really a good sign. Before the only way to play them is either on PS2 or on PS3/PS Vita in the HD Collection. No way to play them on PS4. This is the first time they re-release an already released series in HD Collection on previous gen as PS2 Classics to be played on PS4.

Jak And Daxter on PS4 will happen surely and it will be a sequel and not a reboot anymore. I have no doubt in that now. Now E3 will still hold some new surprises.

Now let's hope the PS2 Classics version will be as good as the HD Collection with reworked graphics.

I dont get this, with the Jak collection whats the point. Other than buying just one game and jak x wasnt in the collection.

This is strange as the HD remasters are great and I haven't played any PS2 to PS4 games that look or play as good..

Jak X never got the remaster treatment though

I don't see why I'd rebuy these on ps4 when ps3 has better versions that I own.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Own em on PS2. Own em on PS3. Own em on Vita. Why not PS4 too! Count me in!

I also hope Sony releases the Ratchet games as well. Give me a super series collection with the PS2 and PS3 titles on PS4. I'm begging you, Insomniac and Sony! I want more R&C on PS4! Also, perhaps a PS4 Jak and Daxter is in the works? Seems random to have them suddenly announce the entire series being re-released on PS4. I'd love another J&D. I'm one of the few who actually really enjoyed the 3rd one, it seems. Part 2 was too frustratingly hard for me to enjoy it, but I thought 3 was great. 1 is still the best, in my opinion. Daxter on PSP was also really fun.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Like what? It had bugs and glitches that original games didn't have, it was sub-720p and had worse framerate than PS2 games. Jak 1 was *cropped* top and bottom to fit a wide screen (thanks guys, every TV can do that if someone wants...). Assets were not changed at all.

This will be 1080p, better framerate than originals, and no new bugs. The one thing that PS2 emulator on PS4 can't fix, the lack of mip-mapping in PS2 games, was as far as I can remember never a problem in J&D games.

Oh god, I just had a daymare where they released emulated versions of Ico and SOTC on PS4 instead of the PS3 Remasters

giphy.gif
I would actually prefer the emulated PS4 version of US Ico to a remaster we got on PS3. Or at least it would be nice to have both in high res treatment.

BigEmil

I'm letting this announcement give my hope of a new Jak game a bit more life. Even if just to daydream about it a bit.
Yeah, I'm 100% sure Naughty Dogs don't want to make another Jak game so i was hoping maybe Sony gave the Jak franchise to another studio to work on similar to Jak 2, 3 !!

What about Jak and Daxter: Lost Frontier?!

Ah. Probably for the best that one isn't included. It's not terrible, but nothing special either.

DrD

Announcing Jak And Daxter PS2 Classics for PS4 at this period is really a good sign. Before the only way to play them is either on PS2 or on PS3/PS Vita in the HD Collection. No way to play them on PS4. This is the first time they re-release an already released series in HD Collection on previous gen as PS2 Classics to be played on PS4.

Jak And Daxter on PS4 will happen surely and it will be a sequel and not a reboot anymore. I have no doubt in that now. Now E3 will still hold some new surprises.

Now let's hope it will be as good as the HD Collection with reworked graphics.
Is there a reason you think we're getting a new Jak and Daxter aside from the trilogy coming to PS4?

I'd love a new Jak and Daxter. I thought the environmental artwork Naughty Dog had for their cancelled Jak and Daxter PS3 game looked really good and was disappointed that it was cancelled.

VLiberty

Now let's hope it will be as good as the HD Collection with reworked graphics.

kid-crying-interview.gif

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh, I was referring to the port on the PS3. I thought it had problems, but it seems that it was the Vita version that was not up to par. That's all!
VIta version was worst, but the PS3 version was by no means something I'd call good either. Nowhere near the level of Bluepoint of Hexadrive mastery.

I would actually prefer the emulated PS4 version of US Ico to a remaster we got on PS3. Or at least it would be nice to have both in high res treatment.

Wat. The US version was by far the inferior version of Ico.

TBH I'm not sure what to think about these releases. On the one hand, I like that more games are being added to the PS4's PS2 Classics lineup because it's been pretty dire compared to PS3's PS1/PS2 Classics but on the other, it seems like a step backwards compared to the native ports we got on PS3/Vita, even if those ports could be dodgy at times. At least we're getting Jak X, I guess, though I'd prefer Daxter.

reKon

Banned
Nice! Out of all the PS2 games, this one of them that started, but didn't get to complete even though I really enjoyed the first 6-8 hours. I remember playing this many many years ago on PS2 and being extremely impressed with the dialogue and the fact that there was NO loading. You just run from one world to the next. That was awesome for a open world adventure game. Now they just need to add SoTC and the PS4 reaches another inch towards being God-tier.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wat. The US version was by far the inferior version of Ico.
I used to think that until I played EU version remaster. Now I think that almost every thing added to the EU version was to the detriment of the game. The two extra puzzles were really dumb and frustrating - totally uncharacteristic to the rest of the game, and the changed music timing at the very end of the game was a terrible decision. I see it as an example of author over-tinkering with his work.

Arc

It really is tho. Haters keep crying about the difficulty level. Give me a challenge over the cakewalk that is J&D anyday.

I played it again in the PS3 collection and it was way less difficult than I remember it being. Some of the harder missions (like the Dock Escape mission already mentioned) have tricks that make them pretty easy.

Super hyped for Jak X, haven't played that for like 11 years.

Jak & Daxter was also my first Plat, looks like I'll be plat-ing the same game twice!

Tagg9

According to Eurogamer PS3 version was missing some effects and rendered at 720p

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-04-03-jak-and-daxter-games-are-coming-to-ps4

"According to Digital Foundry's John Linneman, this PS2 version on PS4 will likely look better than the previous PS3 remaster.

"The PS3 HD version was missing visual effects," Linneman explained. "The shiny metallic surfaces, for instance, were all missing. If you emulate the PS2 original and bump the resolution up to 1080p or more, it should wind up looking better than if you just ported the HD versions."

Another exciting part of this restoration is that it includes Jak X: Combat Racing, which has not been available in any form outside of its 2005 retail release."

I don't usually disagree with John, but I have to here.

It's true that some very minor effects were missing in the PS3 remaster, but instead we got:
- Improved textures
- Better anti-aliasing
- Anisotropic filtering

However I don't think they reworked the geometry at all.

Prologue

According to Eurogamer PS3 version was missing some effects and rendered at 720p

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-04-03-jak-and-daxter-games-are-coming-to-ps4

"According to Digital Foundry's John Linneman, this PS2 version on PS4 will likely look better than the previous PS3 remaster.

"The PS3 HD version was missing visual effects," Linneman explained. "The shiny metallic surfaces, for instance, were all missing. If you emulate the PS2 original and bump the resolution up to 1080p or more, it should wind up looking better than if you just ported the HD versions."

Another exciting part of this restoration is that it includes Jak X: Combat Racing, which has not been available in any form outside of its 2005 retail release."

But is the resolution being bumped up?

Have a lot of you not played ps2 on ps4? They all have really bad , jittery frame rates.

They just do not run smoothly from the 10 or so I played. some are worse than others, manhunt is really bad, max payne is down right a mess for me.

It could just be my ps4 though as I do get bad frame rates in many games the longer the system is on I guess.

Tagg9

Have a lot of you not played ps2 on ps4? They all have really bad , jittery frame rates.

They just do not run smoothly from the 10 or so I played. some are worse than others, manhunt is really bad, max payne is down right a mess for me.

It could just be my ps4 though as I do get bad frame rates in many games the longer the system is on I guess.

I've only played Dark Cloud 2, but that seemed to be fine. Is this a common complaint?

Top Bottom