• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy PS4 vs PS3 Graphics Comparison

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

I got mine shipped from Best Buy but no code yet. They're usually pretty good about sending out codes. So I don't know what's going on but would love to know.

I find it hard to believe there are that many people who thought, on the day the PS2 on PS4 remaster is released, that this was a Jak PS4 announcement. The OP title should have been clearer, but come on.

So the HD collection controls were a perfect representation of the Ps2 version?

I expected a lot from Jak 1 as it was considered a classic, but I found it tedious to play on Ps3. Sorry that my experience didn't match yours.

It absolutely is considered a classic and almost everyone still feels the game holds up wonderfully - the Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin magic.

I don't object to you not having a great experience with the game, I object to an overstatement like "played like shit" and this being attributed to the controls somehow - I don't know what you were expecting, but the platforming controls, animations, double jumping and Jak's movement are all super responsive. I can't think of many non-Mario examples that have better platforming controls tbh. What specifically bothers you about how it controls?

Yes, the PS3 remaster was a perfect representation of the PS2 versions controls - there were other issues with that remaster, but control was not one.

I have it but will not bother downloading it if is has the PAL refresh rate issue the GTA games had.

Can you remind me what that issue was? I have the PAL version of the PS4 Jak. The game does contain a 50/60HZ option toggle in the menu. It was at 50HZ when I first loaded the game, but I switched it to 60HZ and the game seems fine.

Ash735

I have it but will not bother downloading it if is has the PAL refresh rate issue the GTA games had.

Jak games in PAL regions had a 60Hz toggle anyway (and progressive scan from Jak II onwards). In these cases emulators auto opt for the 60Hz mode.

Guymelef

Pal version had 60hz option but I can see how emu people are going to fuck this not letting us to choose.
Rogue Galaxy had 60hz on the original release and it launched at 50 on PS4... with no option to choose.

SkylineRKR

When I saw the title I knew this was about the freebie. There is no way we'll see a PS4 announcement anytime soon..

It absolutely is considered a classic and almost everyone still feels the game holds up wonderfully - the Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin magic.

I don't object to you not having a great experience with the game, I object to an overstatement like "played like shit" and this being attributed to the controls somehow - I don't know what you were expecting, but the platforming controls, double jumping and Jak's movement are all super responsive. I can't think of many non-Mario examples that have better platforming controls tbh. What specifically bothers you about how it controls?

Yes, the PS3 remaster was a perfect representation of the PS2 versions controls - there were other issues with that remaster, but control was not one.

The timing of jumps, and the gliding for example. It felt like there was input lag, I couldn't really get into it. I played it a for a good few hours and then shelved it. The collectathon was something I didn't really expect when I started it, not the biggest fan of that too but I had mostly issues with jumps etc. I love Crash 2, Ape Escape etc but Jak I couldn't really get into.

Schlomo

It's surprising that it looks MORE jaggy than the PS3 version. The higher resolution helps with textures, but without AA it still manages to look worse IMO. I hope the framerate will be just as good as the PS3 version at least.

Can you remind me what that issue was? I have the PAL version of the PS4 Jak. The game does contain a 50/60HZ option toggle in the menu. It was at 50HZ when I first loaded the game, but I switched it to 60HZ and the game seems fine.

Are you able to confirm true 16:9 vs the zooming solution from the PS3 remaster?

BigEmil

It's why I only buy PS2 classics on my NTSC US PSN account to ensure 60hz

Iirc some games in UK PAL version 50hz games got patched to 60hz in update like Rogue Galaxy

Luckily this one got 60hz toggle option
It's surprising that it looks MORE jaggy than the PS3 version. The higher resolution helps with textures, but without AA it still manages to look worse IMO. I hope the framerate will be just as good as the PS3 version at least.
It adds post process AA according to DF when they analysed PS4 PS2 emulator, though not that extensive as more proper AA solutions

When I saw the title I knew this was about the freebie. There is no way we'll see a PS4 announcement anytime soon..

The timing of jumps, and the gliding for example. It felt like there was input lag, I couldn't really get into it. I played it a for a good few hours and then shelved it. The collectathon was something I didn't really expect when I started it, not the biggest fan of that too but I had mostly issues with jumps etc. I love Crash 2, Ape Escape etc but Jak I couldn't really get into.

Huh, well that's surprising - as platformer fan, I would have thought you'd have felt this compared favorably control-wise with most other platformers, on release or now. It was certainly one of the game's praised elements when it came out (though most focus was on the outstanding technical aspects of the visuals, which came to define ND).

but the game's ... precise control system help to make it a pleasurable experience
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_jakdaxter_ps2

Even simple things like walking, running and jumping all feel so much better in this game than in most other character-based games that have preceded it. It has what I like to call that "Mario feel", where the control is so finely tuned and so perfect that it's fun just to move the character around in the world while doing nothing of significance.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2001/12/05/jak-and-daxter-the-precursor-legacy

Anyways, it may not have felt great to you and that's all that matters. I'm just trying to make the case that myself and other felt it's one of the more responsive platformers and has a great feel in general.

I can confirm zoom. I actually took two screenshots - one in 16:9 and one in 4:3 just to check for myself. Give a few minutes - I'll get them off the PS4 and host 'em somewhere.

Ah fuck. The screenshots would be great, if you can post them though - thanks

Okay here's the screenshots that show the zooming in 16:9 mode. Game looks better in 4:3 to me.

jakanddaxter_theprecub7sgp.png

Just for those on the fence. I can confirm the UK release does indeed have the 50hz, 60hz option. However, the game does NOT hold 60fps in quite a lot of cases. There are a fair few dips.

Vashetti

Banned
Just for those on the fence. I can confirm the UK release does indeed have the 50hz, 60hz option. However, the game does NOT hold 60fps in quite a lot of cases. There are a fair few dips.

I imagine the Pro could even that out.

Shame the PS2 emulator is still not Pro enabled. I've no idea if Boost Mode even works with it.

VanWinkle

Played the game for a couple of hours this morning. Overall, very nice. There are some framerate drops unfortunately, but I'm sure there were on PS2, as well. It's 60fps at at least 90% of the time. Image quality isn't great, but it's still a good bit better than on the PS3 HD collection.

The game holds up. It honestly still looks really nice. The only nag I have with it is the double jump doesn't seem to work every time. But it may be a matter of timing. It's been a long time since I played through this game.

FvLttmK.jpg

Okay here's the screenshots that show the zooming in 16:9 mode. Game looks better in 4:3 to me.

Sigh. Agreed, but my sick brain can't seem to play things 4:3 on a 16:9 TV

Not surprising, these PS2 on PS4 remasters seem to always have performance issues

Reminder that the PS3 versions were not HD either.

They were running at 640p with missing graphical effects.

agreed - was one of the reasons I was looking forward to this release

Vashetti

Banned
Surely this is 4K 60fps on Pro?

Nope, the PS2 emulator isn't Pro enabled.

These aren't ports, they're just the PS2 .iso files running in the PS4's PS2 emulator.

Also, none of the PS2 Classics render at 1080p, they're scaled up from their original PS2 resolution, see:

Original PlayStation 2 titles ran at a range of pixel counts, but 512x448 and 640x448 were commonplace (God of War 2 even let you choose between the two). It's still early days in our analysis, but first impressions suggest that the emulator resolves a native resolution of 1292x896. Two black lines are added top and bottom to the image, before receiving a final upscale up to full 1080p. In effect, we're looking at around 4x the pixel count - possibly higher, depending on the title. Texture filtering also looks improved, but on close inspection we think that the increased quality is probably down to the extra resolution alone.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

RSchmitz

Played the game for a couple of hours this morning. Overall, very nice. There are some framerate drops unfortunately, but I'm sure there were on PS2, as well. It's 60fps at at least 90% of the time. Image quality isn't great, but it's still a good bit better than on the PS3 HD collection.

The game holds up. It honestly still looks really nice. The only nag I have with it is the double jump doesn't seem to work every time. But it may be a matter of timing. It's been a long time since I played through this game.

FvLttmK.jpg

Good vibes, shame it was lost in the sequel.

Yeah there is definitely some weird kind of artifacting going on with this game on the PS4. For example if you stand still, and look at objects you can see the edges move back and forth on things that have no animation. Kind of like the scaling being used to make it up to 1080 cant decide a lot of the time the best thing to do.

Still, minor issues aside, it plays well.

Nope, the PS2 emulator isn't Pro enabled.

I thought this thread has several examples of boost-mode related performance improvements in PS2-on-PS4 titles, no? I apologize I'm on an impossibly slow connection now and given that thread is image based, it won't fully load for me.

Yeah there is definitely some weird kind of artifacting going on with this game on the PS4. For example if you stand still, and look at objects you can see the edges move back and forth on things that have no animation. Kind of like the scaling being used to make it up to 1080 cant decide a lot of the time the best thing to do.

Still, minor issues aside, it plays well.

Huh - that is worrisome. I can tolerate some framerate drops, but that sounds like it would be irritating.

OverQ

So can we say this is pretty much the best version available for this game now? I'm really looking forward to testing it out but my UK code isn't working so I'm assuming it won't be added to the store until tomorrow.

For me the PS3 release is automatically ruled out since it has the cropped widescreen mode (vertical minus) and no option to switch to 4:3 (so I've read).

I've been looking at the PCSX2 emulation and and it seems to have some annoying glitches.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I platinumed the trilogy HD versions on PS3, i really don't want to do it again. Hopefully this means that they are going to/are making a new one.

kevin1025

Banned
Got my code from Amazon last night, downloading it now. It's going to be a Naughty Dog week!

I think it looks good, maybe not as great as the PS3 version. I remember there were pictures from a few days back where it may have looked a little cleaner, but I guess in motion it's a little less so.

Vashetti

Banned
I thought this thread has several examples of boost-mode related performance improvements in PS2-on-PS4 titles, no? I apologize I'm on an impossibly slow connection now and given that thread is image based, it won't fully load for me.

By Pro-enabled, I mean the resolution is no different to playing the games on a base PS4.

Framerate may be better with Boost Mode though.

spad3

Just throwing this out there, idk if it was mentioned earlier, but all 4 main series Jak games are coming to PS4 this year.

Precursor Legacy is free if you reserved U:LL while Jak 2, 3, and X will be made available later this year on the store (obviously a standalone J&D:pL as well)

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

Pre-ordered the game last night for in-store pick-up @ BBY. Picked up the game an hour or so ago and was emailed the redemption code ~5-10 mins after picking up.

kc44135

I got mine shipped from Best Buy but no code yet. They're usually pretty good about sending out codes. So I don't know what's going on but would love to know.

Pre-ordered the game last night for in-store pick-up @ BBY. Picked up the game an hour or so ago and was emailed the redemption code ~5-10 mins after picking up.

Call Best Buy?

Yeah, I ended up having to call BB. I got my code quickly thereafter. If anyone else didn't receive their code, this probably what you gotta do.

kc44135

By Pro-enabled, I mean the resolution is no different to playing the games on a base PS4.

Framerate may be better with Boost Mode though.

I'm playing on PS4 PRO, and I'm not sure where the drops are supposed to happen, but so far, the game has very smooth performance for me. From what I understand, Boost Mode should work for PS2 Classics as well, and certainly seems to be in this case, at least so far. Also, I think this game looks much better than the PS3 remaster so far. It seems much sharper looking, and also offers the original 4:3 aspect ratio, which IMO is much better than the cropped BS they force on you in the remaster. Really terrible that they didn't offer that option in PS3 (The God of War collection was another instance of this, which is why I'm hopeful we get God of War I and II as Ps2 Classics before GOW PS4 hits).

It's obvious that it's just an emulator, but I expected more effort put towards the PS4 version

The game deserves to look better than this

Have you been keeping up with what PS2-on-PS4 emulation is like? This is par for the course, they're not dedicated remasters. The notion of "effort" doesn't really make sense in this context.

Top Bottom