• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy PS4 vs PS3 Graphics Comparison

Have you been keeping up with what PS2-on-PS4 emulation is like? This is par for the course, they're not dedicated remasters. The notion of "effort" doesn't really make sense in this context.

Sure. We all would expect more effort in the PS4 version but this is the PS2 version. Effort has nothing to do with it.

I know

I missed that this would be a 'PS2 on PS4' title

Thought it would be a fixed HD Collection Jak

gafneo

Banned
I think it looks like a fine port. I am playing in widescreen. Doesn't look like a remaster since jaggies and texture warping is present. I'm pretty sure the fps is 30 at all times & not 60. Just a PS2 game running smoothly on an HDTV. This doesn't let you correct the inverted look when you press triangle. Controls are what they are and that's that. I think you should at least buy this if you want a Jak & Daxter sequel. Don't buy Jak 2 & 3 if they port those if you are like me & just want the cute version.

kc44135

I think it looks like a fine port. I am playing in widescreen. Doesn't look like a remaster since jaggies and texture warping is present. I'm pretty sure the fps is 30 at all times & not 60. Just a PS2 game running smoothly on an HDTV. This doesn't let you correct the inverted look when you press triangle. Controls are what they are and that's that. I think you should at least buy this if you want a Jak & Daxter sequel. Don't buy Jak 2 & 3 if they port those if you are like me & just want the cute version.

It is 60 FPS. It's very obvious if you stand still and rotate the camera left or right.

BigEmil

It is 60fps, if you own a PAL version go into the game settings and turn on 60Hz mode. By default it's on 50Hz mode.

wellll the PS2 game was 60fps so...

Ultimately this is Sony's fault in terms of confusion regarding PS3 versions that were remasters and these PS2-on-PS4 games which are just emulation, but man, there is a looot of confusion out there

FaintDeftone

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

They email it to you after you pick it up.

Gitaroo

Ps2 classics arent rendered at 4x resolution are they. Just some advance upscaling. How can jak 1 looks jaggier than ps3 hd collection when it is suppose be to rendered in higher res. Ps4 version looks way to rough to be rendering at higher res.

Can you remind me what that issue was? I have the PAL version of the PS4 Jak. The game does contain a 50/60HZ option toggle in the menu. It was at 50HZ when I first loaded the game, but I switched it to 60HZ and the game seems fine.

Thank goodness it has a toggle! I bought the Uncharted: Lost Legacy bundle on the EU store yesterday! Looking forward to playing both!

Got a download code for this even though I didn't preorder. :)
Glad to see it has a 60Hz option for PAL players, since I refuse to purchase any PS2-PS4 games that use that terrible interpolation.

Hey, did anyone pick this up from Best Buy? You're supposed to get Jak free for pre-ordering right? I picked up my pre-ordered copy today, but there's no code for His included in the game case, or on the receipt? What gives? Did anybody get Jak after pre-existing the game at Best Buy?

You should receive an email from BB with the code shortly after you pick the game up. So I'd first check the email you used to order.

Tagg9

I need a DF analysis. I still maintain that the game simply CANNOT be running at 1080p with this image quality.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It really is surprising how dated this looks now. Granted I haven't touched it since the PS2 launch, but my memories had a real wake up call. Didn't realize the PS3 collection had so many subtle issues either.

Still enjoyable though. Area variety is great and much of the platforming is well done. The streaming world is still kind of impressive as is the instant loading on death, and the day-night transitions . I sort of appreciate that Jak 2 delivered more of a narrative flow though. It's pretty nonexistent in Jak 1 as stereotype-addled NPC's just demand collectible hunts and say nothing pertinent.

ffvorax

Best J&D game of the series! I loved the chars, but the sequels lost the platform feeling that the first game had...

Nice that is free for me 'cause I preordered lost legacy, I already played the ported Vita version (the only decent porting out of the three games), but I will play it again on PS4 on spare time for sure.

LAA

Starting to feel I'm in the minority preferring Jak 2 to Jak 1..., though I still enjoyed Jak 1 of course.
Suppose I would have liked Jak 1/Jak 2 to branch off into separate games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Starting to feel I'm in the minority preferring Jak 2 to Jak 1..., though I still enjoyed Jak 1 of course.
Suppose I would have liked Jak 1/Jak 2 to branch off into separate games.

Your the minority but i agree. Jak 1 was a nice throwback to crash, but jak 2 and 3 really upped the ante in scale, story and actual things to do in the world. Loved collecting all the weapon mods

DF should do a quick video on this, wonder what is the best version of this game.

I'd definitely like to see that, too.
I'd be happiest if it runs identically to the original PS2 version, except at a higher resolution, so that the speed run community can move to, or at least have the option of choosing, these versions, as it's easier to stream these than it is the PS2 ones

KORNdoggy

oh god, the fishing mini game made me smash a controller against a wall on PS3. i'm a little scared to play this again. lol

kc44135

I need a DF analysis. I still maintain that the game simply CANNOT be running at 1080p with this image quality.
It's not 1080p. Most PS2 Classics render at 896p on PS4, I believe.
Damn it! :-(

They fucked up?!

IMO, it's fine for me so far. Really, I think it's the best (official) release so far, simply by virtue of being at a much higher resolution than the original PS2 version (which looks horrid on an HDTV), and allowing you to play it in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio. The "HD" Collection (which wasn't actually even in HD) forced you to play it in the "wide-screen" mode, which was terrible, and basically the same 16:9 implementation as seen on the original PS2 version (it basically just cropped off half the screen, and was the equivalent of zooming in the picture with your TV). Also, it runs reasonably well for me on PS4 PRO with Boost Mode enabled, at least. Only a few minor dips here and there.

oh god, the fishing mini game made me smash a controller against a wall on PS3. i'm a little scared to play this again. lol

Swap the screen to 4:3. Widescreen crops the top and bottom of the picture, so with 4:3 you'll have more time to react to them.

IMO, it's fine for me so far. Really, I think it's the best (official) release so far, simply by virtue of being at a much higher resolution than the original PS2 version (which looks horrid on an HDTV), and allowing you to play it in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio. The "HD" Collection (which wasn't actually even in HD) forced you to play it in the "wide-screen" mode, which was terrible, and basically the same 16:9 implementation as seen on the original PS2 version (it basically just cropped off half the screen, and was the equivalent of zooming in the picture with your TV). Also, it runs reasonably well for me on PS4 PRO with Boost Mode enabled, at least. Only a few minor dips here and there.

Oh, so it has dips? Sounds like it's accurate to the PS2 version then.

JP

Played a couple of hours last night and I'm very happy with it, certainly in comparison to the HD collection on PS3.

As already mentioned, whatever you do, don't play it in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The implementation isn't quite as poor as the GTA games on PS2 but by zooming in you lose far too much of the screen and you get a much closer look at the inconsistencies you'd expect from a PS2 game.

One of my absolute favourite PS2 games and it's so good to be going back to it now.

rjc571

Banned
Swap the screen to 4:3. Widescreen crops the top and bottom of the picture, so with 4:3 you'll have more time to react to them.

Jak 1 framerate never dropped below 60 on PS2 except for one particular section of the lava portion of the overworld, you're thinking of Jak 2 and 3.

Jak 1 framerate never dropped below 60 on PS2 except for one particular section of the lava portion of the overworld, you're thinking of Jak 2 and 3.

I did play it at 50Hz on the PAL version, mind you, and it was like over a decade ago when I last played it properly.

I'm sure I remember some drops in performance though. Nothing major, but certainly not locked.

I'm glad it has 4:3 at least, but I'm not to happy about the dips I hear. I have a standard PS4 too.

kc44135

When I say dips, I should clarify that they're very minor, and very brief. Basically just quick moments of noticeable judder. Also, it's something I've only noticed in cutscenes so far (I've only played an hour or so thus far, cuz Uncharted is awesome). I haven't tried the game with Boost Mode off yet, so I'm not sure how well it runs without it, or on a base PS4.

When I say dips, I should clarify that they're very minor, and very brief. Basically just quick moments of noticeable judder. Also, it's something I've only noticed in cutscenes so far (I've only played an hour or so thus far, cuz Uncharted is awesome). I haven't tried the game with Boost Mode off yet, so I'm not sure how well it runs without it, or on a base PS4.

Oh, OK.
I've not had chance to try it yet, but I'll do a full playthrough over the weekend. My PS2 is still hooked up to a CRT with RGB cables, so I'll be able to compare the two.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gitaroo said:
Ps2 classics arent rendered at 4x resolution are they.
They are - but 4x PS2 resolution is somewhere between 1280x1024 and 1024x896 (depending on the game).
At max - you're looking at a 40% increase over 720P in vertical-only resolution - at worst you're looking at 1:1 match, with a different ratio of horizontal/vertical.

Ps4 version looks way to rough to be rendering at higher res.
720P still looks quite rough without a comprehensive AA (as most of PS3/360 era titles showcase) - even native 1080p is far from clean on its own really, and you're getting something in the middle of the two. More to the point, Jak1 on PS3 was using MSAA to best of my recollection, so it deals with geometry aliasing better than post-process AA used on emulated classics on PS4, which accounts for most of the difference you're seeing.
The other thing that probably has an effect is that Jak was a field-rendered game on PS2 (supersampled, but still) so after de-interlacing you lose some vertical resolution there, further increasing the aliasing - this effect is noticeable even when emulating PS2 on PC at much higher resolutions.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Does it have stereoscopic 3D like the PS3 version?

I'm guessing no. So nice of devs to keep stripping out a feature that current gen hardware could handle much better.

JakR

I'm guessing no. So nice of devs to keep stripping out a feature that current gen hardware could handle much better.

There is nothing stripped out the PS4 version is the original ps2 game emulated.

Played a couple of hours last night and I'm very happy with it, certainly in comparison to the HD collection on PS3.

As already mentioned, whatever you do, don't play it in the 16:9 aspect ratio. The implementation isn't quite as poor as the GTA games on PS2 but by zooming in you lose far too much of the screen and you get a much closer look at the inconsistencies you'd expect from a PS2 game.

One of my absolute favourite PS2 games and it's so good to be going back to it now.

This is great to hear, thanks for the impressions.

Game still looks fantastic on PS2 on a crt tv.

I mean, for sure but very few of us still have our ps2s hooked up, and even fewer have CRTs. I was sort of hoping for a ps2 perfect version here

IMO, it's fine for me so far. Really, I think it's the best (official) release so far, simply by virtue of being at a much higher resolution than the original PS2 version (which looks horrid on an HDTV), and allowing you to play it in it's proper 4:3 aspect ratio. The "HD" Collection (which wasn't actually even in HD) forced you to play it in the "wide-screen" mode, which was terrible, and basically the same 16:9 implementation as seen on the original PS2 version(it basically just cropped off half the screen, and was the equivalent of zooming in the picture with your TV). Also, it runs reasonably well for me on PS4 PRO with Boost Mode enabled, at least. Only a few minor dips here and there.

Yeah I think for better or for worse the pro is the best way to play ps2 classics on PS4, it seems to eliminate a lot of the performance inconsistencies.

Oh, OK.
I've not had chance to try it yet, but I'll do a full playthrough over the weekend. My PS2 is still hooked up to a CRT with RGB cables, so I'll be able to compare the two.

This would be great to hear impressions on. Ultimately we need a DF ps2 vs PS3 vs PS4 (vs vita for lols). Someone should PM John!

Vashetti

Banned

How many times...

It's not a port/remaster.

It's literally the PS2 .iso file running in the PS4's emulator. They can't strip out a feature that didn't exist in the PS2 version.

This would be great to hear impressions on. Ultimately we need a DF ps2 vs PS3 vs PS4 (vs vita for lols). Someone should PM John!

I obviously don't have the equipment to make a technical comparison, but I'll certainly be able to tell if there are any major differences in performance on this version (say if there's any drop in performance that can be repeated consistently on the PS4 that can't on the PS2 etc.). Considering it's giving a 50Hz/60Hz toggle, I assume it's the PAL version that is being used for this.

Noticed a few framerate dips/slowdown in the precursor ruins of the Forbidden Jungle. It seemed to happen mostly while getting close to the plant boss or when launching on those pads. Otherwise I haven't noticed any big issues.

Does anyone know if the rest of the Jak games had proper widescreen, or is it the same zoomed in implementation as this?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I was dreading it myself, but I beat it on my 2nd try. It's actually more lenient than I remember(you can sort of 'side-catch' thankfully, so long as your net makes contact its all good).

The patterns I was getting almost never forced me to move the net long distances and followed a pretty clean trail with light movements back and forth. Even my first attempt was super close.

Gitaroo

Noticed a few framerate dips/slowdown in the precursor ruins of the Forbidden Jungle. It seemed to happen mostly while getting close to the plant boss or when launching on those pads. Otherwise I haven't noticed any big issues.

Does anyone know if the rest of the Jak games had proper widescreen, or is it the same zoomed in implementation as this?

I think they were all cropped 4:3 unfortunately. Ps2 power is very limited, happy that the old games even had 480p output.

Ps4 running worse thanm PS3 in a lot of scenes there. Right off the bat in the cutscene especially.

Yeah, I think its the video that is trash. They put a 30 fps ps4 video next to a 60fps ps3 video. Hard to do a proper comparison in that case.

(could be that PAL issue people are mentioning, either way the ps3 video is noticeably smoother and I doubt its running better than the ps4 one in reality)

*EDIT* There are a few parts where the PS4 version looks worse as well such as this blocky shadow
EoDTGM1.jpg

Top Bottom