• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak & Daxter The Precursor Legacy PS4 vs PS3 Graphics Comparison

Schlomo

I'm a huge fan of this game and just got my code, so I tried it out immediately to compare the versions.

The biggest visual issue of the PS4 version hasn't been mentioned yet as far as I've seen: Ground textures use extremy low res mip-maps (I hope that's the correct term), so the whole ground becomes a single-color blur the further away it's from the camera. The PS2 probably couldn't handle large ground textures, but it probably also wasn't that much of an issue at the original resolution. The PS3 version fixed this completely and looks much nicer IMO, especially in the big open areas of the game.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that camera control is now inverted compared to the original version with no option to change it back (or non-inverted, by modern standards), so if you're used to that it's a little jarring.

IQ-wise, I had hoped the higher resolution of the PS2 emulator would make a difference, but the jaggies look about the same to me.

The framerate gets choppy at certain points when you're at the edge of a large area and turn around to see everything. That's probably accurate to the PS2 version (I can't really remember).

So, in summary:

PS2 on PS4 version:
+ 4:3 aspect ratio option
+ more accurate effects
- super blurry ground textures
- low res blocky shadows
- more framerate hiccups (using 60 Hz and PS4 Pro Boost mode)
- inverted camera controls only

PS3 version
+ fixed ground textures and shadows
+ better framerate
+ option for standard or inverted camera
- no 4:3
- some shiny metal effects missing

Overall, I prefer the PS3 version due to the ground textures, since the widescreen has never bothered me.

Ash735

Always amazed at how Sony never updated their OWN emulator to work with the PS4 Pro, at least throw on some additional AA.

VG Tech.
Jak and Daxter PS4 vs PS3 vs PS Vita Frame Rate Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ28THLx3ug

Huh.

Weird, and disappointing.

So, in summary:

PS2 on PS4 version:
+ 4:3 aspect ratio option
+ more accurate effects
- super blurry ground textures
- low res blocky shadows
- more framerate hiccups (using 60 Hz and PS4 Pro Boost mode)
- inverted camera controls only

PS3 version
+ fixed ground textures and shadows
+ better framerate
+ option for standard or inverted camera
- no 4:3
- some shiny metal effects missing

Overall, I prefer the PS3 version due to the ground textures, since the widescreen has never bothered me.

Thanks, this is a really useful breakdown.

OP, any way to add the much superior VG Tech comparison video and this breakdown to the OP?

Always amazed at how Sony never updated their OWN emulator to work with the PS4 Pro, at least throw on some additional AA.

They don't even update their own games for the Pro lol

This clearly should have been PS4 ports of the PS3 version, not sure what the hell they were thinking. Straight up botch.

topplehat

Considering the work done for the PS3 versions this definitely feels like a "lazy" port. Which is odd considering how few PS2 ports they have done on the PS4.

Tiberius

I swore that the Lost Legacy pre-order store page listed that Season Pass owners, Explorer's pack, etc... got Jak free as well. Unless I did miss something in the fine print? Where did you quote that text from? Got a link?
Bought the season pass, uc lost legacy was free to preorder 2 days ago on eu store and got jak and the dynamic theme

I guess it's double buffer v-sync that's dropping the frame rate to 30 in cutscenes? Really hope that can be patched. I'll probably still pick up this version.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'd also agree that the PS3 version overall looks better. Missing effects be damned, it performed and looked just better. This truly is just the PS2 version with seemingly very little done through emulation to improve it. The frame dips are pretty constant, the visuals(especially texture blending) really do appear very aged, and there is a severe lack of AA or other beneficial filtering to clean up the grunge.

That said, I'm having a great time revisiting it all the same, but PS3 collection owners aren't missing out by skipping(unless you want another platinum).

Bought the season pass, uc lost legacy was free to preorder 2 days ago on eu store and got jak and the dynamic theme

It's a specific NA issue. (Just lots of rumors surrounding a last minute promo change, and confusing wording on the LL pre-order page)

Drakhyrr

Ouch, I skipped the ps3 collection on the last sale because it was coming for ps4. Now I just wish I had bought it.

Is there a chance they may patch some improvements into this version? Well, I will just wait for either that or another ps3 sale, whatever comes first.

Timu

512*448 was a common PS2 resolution. I assume the doubling of the horizontal resolution only has to do with the game originally being interlaced.
Yeah, though I meant for the PS4 since that's not even a common res for PS2 to PS4 games. And yes, the game was originally interlaced.

PS4 not missing details like the stars in the beginning, shiny effects on metals, textures look sharper, colors are faithful to the original game and not altered like the PS3 version and the ressolution is better.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ascii42 said:
512*448 was a common PS2 resolution. I assume the doubling of the horizontal resolution only has to do with the game originally being interlaced.
It's still doubling both axis - if vertical resolves at exactly 448 that just means the deinterlacer on the emulator must be really bad (I've noticed similar with Dark Cloud 1, now that I think about it).

Also I'm pretty sure Jak was supersampled vertically (so each 224 field is downsampled from full 448 buffer), giving a 2xSSAA effect. But with PS4 emulator doing post-process on top it's probably hard to measure that.

Timu said:
Yeah, though I meant for the PS4 since that's not even a common res for PS2 to PS4 games. And yes, the game was originally interlaced.
See above.

kc44135

I apologize for making this port/emulation sound better than it was. I didn't run into very many dips yet, likely due tothe Boost Mode on PRO, but they're clearly there for OG PS4 users, which is a shame. Also, I'm shocked at how low the resolution is. Clearly I was mistaken I thought things looked a tad fuzzy perhaps, but chalked chalked it up to PS2 era textures These games are marketed as "PS2 Classics in HD!" , but this release doesn't come close to any kind of HD resolution.

I will say that the VG Tech video did make an error in saying the HD Collection was 720p, but it's actually only 640p, and not truly HD. Really, I still don't think the PS3 version is superior to this, as even with the higher resolution and smoother performance, the missing effects and especially the cropped widescreen are dealbreakers for me. The game also feels pretty good on a DS4. But still, I'm disappointed with how little effort was put into this. I mean, at least get the game running in HD like every other PS2 Classic, and make sure it's running smoothly, y'know? I wonder if the other Jak games will be the same? Poor Jak. :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm enjoying the game on PS4 but yeah, they should've ported the PS3 versions instead.

that costs a lot more money and effort than simply dumping the ISO and brute forcing the original game to run.

Inverted camera only? Not even going to bother now.
You do remember that the Y axis on the camera doesn't do anything in this game normally, right?

Surprised at the posters preferring a port of the PS3 version here. As an owner of every version of Jak 1 - this new version is my favourite.

dracula_x

I hate this icon so much:

RYciM67.png

^ too messy

Finally had a chance to boot this up.... I don't think I can play this version, the texture streaming issue is too egregious, especially when a perfectly competent PS3 version exists. I probably wasn't going to play it in 4:3 anyway, so I guess I'll give this a miss :(

Been playing this though the weekend, framedrops are annoying, but luckily still playable.

it's incredible how well Jak controls, I booted up the Crash Remaster again afterwards and man the Bandicoot controls like shit in comparison.

KyleCross

I hate this icon so much:

RYciM67.png

^ too messy

What is with the sudden influx of people getting upset at icons? First there's the Snake Pass thread and now this. They're thumbnails that you click on to launch the game, that's their purpose. They're not art. You're not just sitting there staring at your home screen admiring it.

dracula_x

What is with the sudden influx of people getting upset at icons? First there's the Snake Pass thread and now this. They're thumbnails that you click on to launch the game, that's their purpose. They're not art. You're not just sitting there staring at your home screen admiring it.

wait, you ask me why people don't like unaesthetic and ugly stuff?

Leatherhide

Neo Member
Got the game for free with Uncharted, never played this series, is this game still good enough today?

Yes. I missed out on the original game cause my parents bought me an Xbox instead back then, but I played the PS3 remake about 4 or 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. Unless you're not into platformers, I highly recommend playing it.

Auctopus

Not sure if people are still playing this but the latest patch today introduced some severe frame drops (12-15fps). Runs even worse.

I'd like to warn everyone: Patch 1.02, which forces the game to 60Hz crashes the game in cutscenes. I'm guessing the PAL version could run 60Hz in gameplay, while it reverted to 50Hz in cutscenes, thus resulting in crashes when forced to 60Hz throughout.

I hope they fix this!! Otherwise the game is impossible to complete 100%

I'd like to warn everyone: Patch 1.02, which forces the game to 60Hz crashes the game in cutscenes. I'm guessing the PAL version could run 60Hz in gameplay, while it reverted to 60Hz in cutscenes, thus resulting in crashes when forced to 60Hz throughout.

Was just gonna post about this.

I am about 80% into it now but every time I talk to these two NPC's and a cutscene happens the game will crash at some point during the cutscene.

Real annoying.

Googling and people on reddit are yelling about it too and it looks like it effects every medium to long cut scene and even getting through the intro is a lottery of its own now.

They bothered to remove the 50hrz toggle so I hope they are bothered enough to fix whatever the broke removing it.

dracula_x

I'd like to warn everyone: Patch 1.02, which forces the game to 60Hz crashes the game in cutscenes. I'm guessing the PAL version could run 60Hz in gameplay, while it reverted to 60Hz in cutscenes, thus resulting in crashes when forced to 60Hz throughout.

btw, they pushed new update today – 1.03 (no any notes in change log except "Bug fixes"). So maybe it's already fixed.

Can confirm, patch 1.03 fixes the crashes - the performance also seems improved.

Nice. Hopefully they can get it running identically to the PS2 version at some point in the future.

I'm still annoyed by the inverted camera controls. I know that technically they're not inverted now, and in line with most 3rd person games nowadays, but 16 years of muscle memory is hard to change.

Top Bottom