• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron: "I’m in the Avatar business. Period. That’s it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Avatar 2 should focus on the Navi becoming more advanced. Instead of having bronze-age technology, an industrial revolution is started and they have to deal with the whole nature vs. technology thing again. It's like Princess Mononoke, but nowhere near as interesting.

And nowhere near as many arrow based decapitations.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
*googles Roger Dean*

Hmm, can't really see it, sorry. Yeah, he seems to have a penchant for luminous colours, but that's were the similarities end for me. You make it sound like they simply lifted his work wholesale.

He also has a thing for floating rocks and big trees

And big trees on floating, luminous rocks.

JB1981

Aww A thread about Avatar where people attack the plot. It's been awhile. Next up on gaf a thread where people worship an average alien invasion movie with no tension, Michael Bay style action, nothing original going for it outside of having well known characters that most geeks have had a connection with since childhood, and... Wait, that thread is going on as we speak.

Saying the plot of Avatar is like Fern Gully/Dances is useless when the director said he used a well known story on purpose.

James Cameron has said, more than once mind you, that the sequel would have a very different tone and story.

Now the talks of an Avatar 4 scares me...

Man Avengers was so much fucking better than Avatar

Ridiculous answers as always, the hate for Avatar is strong on Gaf, such a classical behavior. Cameron does whatever the fu ck he wants to do, he doesn't give a sh it about what you want him to do.

Looking forward to Avatar sequels, it's gonna be spectacular. Story was simple but the execution was fantastic, that's what matters. Now that Cameron knows that he has an audience, he'll be able to do something more complex and I guess suited to the haters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ridiculous answers as always, the hate for Avatar is strong on Gaf, such a classical behavior. Cameron does whatever the fu ck he wants to do, he doesn't give a sh it about what you want him to do.

Looking forward to Avatar sequels, it's gonna be spectacular. Story was simple but the execution was fantastic, that's what matters. Now that Cameron knows that he has an audience, he'll be able to do something more complex and I guess suited to the haters.

Fcuk da hat3rs

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

Saying anything bad about Avatar on GAF at its release saw you ripped to pieces.

Time has just let the hype die down and the film be seen outside the bubble of its own creation that's all.

Saying anything bad about Avatar on GAF at its release saw you ripped to pieces.

Time has just let the hype die down and the film be seen outside the bubble of its own creation that's all.
Well this is the opposite of te truth. I talked about Avatar for YEARS and dealt with ridiculous hate leading up to its release. Then came the big crow feed where some ate it handily whilst others just became more bitter.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Well this is the opposite of te truth. I talked about Avatar for YEARS and dealt with ridiculous hate leading up to its release. Then came the big crow feed where some ate it handily whilst others just became more bitter.
That's because you tend to ridiculously hype shit before seeing it. The hate wasn't about Avatar dude, get real.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, and it still stands as a well constructed blockbuster set in an interesting world (comparatively speaking) telling a simple story, and displaying superlative technical wizardry.

Is it Citizen Kane? No.

Is it a cut above the usual Hollywood Blockbuster bilge? Hell yes.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

The hype consumed most people, the OT was a lovefest. I remember posting in it, baffled at the response to the film.

The view on GAF is far more reflective of the actual quality of the film now in my opinion, as well as the desire to go back for any more of it.

CassSept

Futuristic mechs fucking up a bunch of 9ft bipedal aliens that can plug themselves into a somewhat sentient planet full of gargantuan bioluminescent fauna and flora (of which they can also conscious interact with), shadowed by floating mountains and pterodactal-like things that they fly?

Fucking YAWN.

Give me more explosions in downtown New York City any day.

You've just described a single sequence from the movie that's preceded by over 2 hours or so of dooze-inducing blabber about bland, unoriginal world and zero-dimensional characters.

NinjaBoiX

You've just described a single sequence from the movie that's preceded by over 2 hours or so of dooze-inducing blabber about bland, unoriginal world and zero-dimensional characters.
Yeah, there's barely any action in Avatar. It's the definition of a "talkie".

Bring it on. I greatly enjoyed the first. One of the best cinematic experiences I've had. Loved both the design of Pandora and all the human tech. The story was simple and familiar but it did it's job of pulling you through the world and led up to a fantastic battle sequence in the final act.

Sadly, it's probably going to be at least 4 or 5 years before the film comes out, probably longer.

Violet_0

Banned
on one hand, I wasn't a huge fan of Avatar

then however, more sci-fi movies is always great news. And who knows, with Pandora and the Na'vi behind us now (hopefully), the next one might even be good.

If James Cameron was listed to make a mass effect movie it would cause the biggest meltdown on this forum.

Bioware and James Cameron - not really sure why everyone hates what they do when they both make excellent examples of their genres.

I loved all 3 Mass Effects

I love Terminator, T2, Aliens and Avatar.

Seriously, is it just the cool thing on this forum to hate James Cameron films and shit on everything bioware does, no matter how good it is?

nyong

Banned
Avatar had amazing visuals but the script was paper thin and had so many annoying, juvenile political digs ("shock and awe" har har). I cringe to think where he's going to take the storyline next.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If James Cameron was listed to make a mass effect movie it would cause the biggest meltdown on this forum.

Bioware and James Cameron - not really sure why everyone hates what they do when they both make excellent examples of their genres.

I loved all 3 Mass Effects

Seriously, is it just the cool thing on this forum to hate James Cameron films and shit on everything bioware does, no matter how good it is?

Where did this come from? The good, old gaf hivemind boogeyman? Not to mention Terminator and Aliens doesnt get hate around here.

That's cool James, but it seems I'm no longer in the business of giving a shit about your films. Enjoy milking your cash cow, you won't see a penny from me. Although, if your brand of over-hyped, over-budgeted sci-fi nonsense encourages studios to take greater risks on other director's sci-fi films, then please, carry on.

Violet_0

Banned
Avatar had amazing visuals but the script was paper thin and had so many annoying, juvenile political digs ("shock and awe" har har). I cringe to think where he's going to take the storyline next.

first exclusive pictures of Avatar 2

eVyUh.png

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is this where James Cameron turns into Brian Wilson and hides in his beach sand filled bedroom for 10 years with little to no contact with other humans?

Solo

Sad that he won't do anything else, but I also respect a man that does what he wants on his own terms.

How can he make a sequel to Avatar when there was no sequel to Pocahontas.

Hehe.

Yeah, terribly tame film. Shame to see Cameron's obvious talents go to waste like this.

You honestly think Avatar measures up to those other three films? Come on now.

on one hand, I wasn't a huge fan of Avatar

then however, more sci-fi movies is always great news. And who knows, with Pandora and the Na'vi behind us now (hopefully), the next one might even be good.

That would be good news, but I haven't seen any indication of that. And even if it were the case, there's no reason the next film won't be just as family friendly.

Also, this thread is a goldmine for quotes if the sequel is fucking awesome.

The odds aren't exactly in the sequel's favor. I remember your theory on why Cameron now has free rein for the next film. But he's goddamn James Cameron, you don't think he could have done what he felt like with the first film? I think this is what he honestly wants to do.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What Cameron needs to add in the sequel to win a "niche" crowd:

1)Add violence, lots of it.
2)Transform Navis into closed-minded rednecks who are averse to anything new, progressive and are judgemental pricks to the boot. edit: some scenes of them torturing humans
3)Transfrom humans into humans. The generals now will be carrying out the orders reluctantly and will question the motives of these orders!

The "niche" crowd will lap it up.

Amir0x

Banned
There's plenty of well worn tropes for the sequels, James Cameron can phone it in for generations to come.

We've done the natives-who-are-more-in-touch-with-nature-than-your-dirty-scientific-and-brutal-imperialistic-ways, but they've still got the natives-are-brought-to-a-big-city-and-stand-around-in-awe-at-all-the-modern-conveniences-while-teaching-you-something-new-about-living-a-simple-life trope.

Then there's the sequel to the above trope called 'native-isn't-happy-in-the-big-city-and-must-return-to-his/her-people-leaving-you-behind-but-never-forgetting-the-time-you-two-spent-together'.

The final one can be 'modern-dude-who-has-been-changed-by-his-experience-with-the-natives-goes-before-a-congressional-hearing-to-argue-passionately-for-why-they-deserve-protection-to-the-sneers-and-snickers-of-senators-who-say-things-like-"why should we protect the savages, be realistic!"-to-your-increasing-horror-as-you-must-make-one-final-war-to-take-down-the-imperialists-before-they-destroy-the-natives-for-good.'

Plenty of well worn territory for James Cameron to phone it in with a $300,000,000 budget on each one.

The odds aren't exactly in the sequel's favor. I remember your theory on why Cameron now has free rein for the next film. But he's goddamn James Cameron, you don't think he could have done what he felt like with the first film? I think this is what he honestly wants to do.

Buddy, it's a James Cameron sequel. Nobody has a better track record at popping out stellar sequels than James Cameron and he's only made seven movies in his entire career.

There's plenty of well worn tropes for the sequels, James Cameron can phone it in for generations to come.

We've done the natives-who-are-more-in-touch-with-nature-than-your-dirty-scientific-and-brutal-imperialistic-ways, but they've still got the natives-are-brought-to-a-big-city-and-stand-around-in-awe-at-all-the-modern-conveniences-while-teaching-you-something-new-about-living-a-simple-life trope.

Then there's the sequel to the above trope called 'native-isn't-happy-in-the-big-city-and-must-return-to-his/her-people-leaving-you-behind-but-never-forgetting-the-time-you-two-spent-together'.

The final one can be 'modern-dude-who-has-been-changed-by-his-experience-with-the-natives-goes-before-a-congressional-hearing-to-argue-passionately-for-why-they-deserve-protection-to-the-sneers-and-snickers-of-senators-who-say-things-like-"why should we protect the savages, be realistic!"-to-your-increasing-horror-as-you-must-make-one-final-war-to-take-down-the-imperialists-before-they-destroy-the-natives-for-good.'

Plenty of well worn territory for James Cameron to phone it in with a $300,000,000 budget on each one.

So basically he should make Jungle 2 Jungle.

What exactly is Battle Angel about? Is it a successor to Dark Angel?

The series is set in the post-apocalyptic future and focuses on Alita, a cyborg with an organic brain who has lost all memories and is found in a garbage heap by a cybernetics doctor who rebuilds and takes care of her.

Cameron has described it as featuring absolutely crazy, mind-bending action and we all know he is well versed in post apocalyptic futures with cyborgs.

Coming from the god of action himself, I can't wait for Battle Angel. :(

Buddy, it's a James Cameron sequel. Nobody has a better track record at popping out stellar sequels than James Cameron and he's only made seven movies in his entire career.

Friend, they were sequels to Alien and Terminator. Incredible films to begin with.

Since Avatar is rather tame, and not very incredible, the situation isn't that similar. Add to that the fact that the last time he made a genuinely awesome film, this was actually new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom