• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizz

I can't believe this isn't getting more media coverage. If this was a space program, people would be all over it. Wtf. :(
Maybe because it's kind of late, at least here in the states? Hopefully there should be more coverage later today.

It does seem sadly low profile. As cliché as it sounds, I wouldn't have been aware if it hadn't been for GAF/Internet. (Perhaps that says more about me)

Cmagus

Yeah I doubt most will pick it up till he at least returns. I mean CNN is saying tune in so they obviously aren't gonna rush the content online for at least a day or two so they can show coverage on tv. Hopefully NatGeo talk abit about it and don't hold too much back for whatever they undoubtedly have planned.

duckroll

Maybe because it's kind of late, at least here in the states? Hopefully there should be more coverage later today.

I mean in general. It does get reported in the news but it's mostly a hohum kinda thing where its just one super rich movie director doing some deep dive. The fact that he had to fund it all himself to even make it happen shows how little interest there is at large to explore the depths of the ocean. Kinda sad isn't it? This is part of our planet, shouldn't we be interested in knowing more about it?

Nizz

I mean in general. It does get reported in the news but it's mostly a hohum kinda thing where its just one super rich movie director doing some deep dive. The fact that he had to fund it all himself to even make it happen shows how little interest there is at large to explore the depths of the ocean. Kinda sad isn't it? This is part of our planet, shouldn't we be interested in knowing more about it?
Sadly, I could see mainstream media being like "oh it's just Cameron and his obsession with the ocean again" type vibe. So much unexplored territory, our oceans.

TeegsD

Haven't been paying much attention to this until now. It would be really cool if he found something down there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ocean exploration has always been far more interesting to me than outer space.
Please donate $60K to me so I can go see Titanic, Gaf :D
And of course, Cameron's documentaries are usually very well done.

Unless whatever he finds down there decides to wipe us all out. :(

The GAF threads would be gold.

'Oh ffs. First he forces 3D down our throats and now my family can't walk down the street without being attacked by previously slumbering civilizations of deadly see urchins. Thanks a lot Cameron, you fucking blowhard.'

duckroll

Well, I love space too, but I'm more interested in the idea of developing things in space, than the exploration of space itself. I want fucking space colonies in my lifetime. :( Could be a great solution for growing populations!

Ocean exploration is really interesting though, because unless space exploration, we actually KNOW there are things to be found down there. :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Space exploration being superior is no contest.

It looks like sea exploration will ramp up tho. Apparently there's three other teams working for Mariana Trench dives this year.

Angry Fork

Most people don't know that we haven't explored most of the ocean. It's just about the lack of education. Also people think there probably isn't anything interesting in the ocean and it's just a bunch of dark deep nothing, where as space you already know what's out there and people are captivated by it because of hubble images, what they see in the sky etc.

edit - On that thought how come there hasn't been some kind of ocean telescope? lol Is it possible?

Most people don't know that we haven't explored most of the ocean. It's just about the lack of education. Also people think there probably isn't anything interesting in the ocean and it's just a bunch of dark deep nothing, where as space you already know what's out there and people are captivated by it because of hubble images, what they see in the sky etc.

edit - On that thought how come there hasn't been some kind of ocean telescope? lol Is it possible?

Isnt it because of the way water refracts light? like you wont get a clear image to the bottom, plus its dark as shit down there!

Angry Fork

F6l09.png

sankao

What are the chances of Cameron ultimately making it to the moon ? I could really see him putting down the 50 millions for a falcon heavy.

What are the chances of Cameron ultimately making it to the moon ? I could really see him putting down the 50 millions for a falcon heavy.

Not large. He was originally going a month on board the ISS, before the Russians he was going with had their launch cancelled. I think that was back in 2003/2004.

I fear he's too old to start planning another space endeavor.

Nizz

Cant wait for the footage, I am all for exploring our oceans, don't wake up Cloverfield!
Yep, can't wait to see whatever footage he gets from this trip. Man, it's almost 3:00am here. Think I'm going to hit the bed and hope to hear more about this later.

LOCK

Would be cool if he made such a remarkable discovery that he felt compelled to tell the world immediately instead of waiting for a movie.

Mr. Robot

I bet that Cameron put some explosives on the submergible just so that he can get an action shot and some drama into the documentary.

On another note, this could give him great publicity for a new monster movie.

JimCameron I only tweet when I have something worth saying.
bigtroyjon said:
His first tweet in about a year.
Jim Cameron sounds like a Jim Cameron basher.
Cameron's Green Machine submarine has reached the bottom of the Marianas Trench on remote control.
GhaleonEB said:
I was wondering about this. I knew he did some deep test dives, but not as deep as he's going. I'm relieved it's gone down that deep already.
How does that work, if loss of communication is a big problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom