• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Goodall: 'Close down Seaworld'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane Goodall: SeaWorld 'should be closed down
Jane Goodall is best known for her work with primates, but she is making waves for saying SeaWorld should be shut down.

In an interview with the Huffington Post, Goodall said whales and dolphins should never be held in captivity and that the theme park famous for its orcas should be put out of business.

"They definitely should be closed down," Goodall told HuffPo in an interview published Monday.

SeaWorld (SEAS)has come under fire for its treatment of killer whales, or orcas, after the sharply critical documentary "Blackfish" aired in theaters in the summer of 2013 and on CNN in the fall of that year.

Goodall points out that whales and dolphins communicate with sonar-like sound waves. Keeping them confined in tanks means those sound waves bounce off of the walls and echo back, creating what she called an "acoustical hell" for the animals.

SeaWorld said in a statement that it works with experts in "bioacoustics" to measure the noise level in its enclosures, which it says are quieter than the "ambient ocean."

The company suggested that Goodall may not be familiar with recent research on whales and dolphins kept in zoos.

"Jane Goodall is a respected scientist and advocate for the world's primates, but we couldn't disagree more with her on this," SeaWorld said in a statement. "Zoos and marine mammal parks like SeaWorld allow people to experience animals in a way that is inspiring and educational."

More broadly, Goodall said she is hopeful that humans are becoming less interested in watching orcas perform and more sympathetic to their plight in captivity.

"It's not only that they're really big, highly intelligent and social animals so that the capture and confinement in itself is cruel," she said, but also that "they have emotions like ours."

Goodall's comments come amid an ongoing backlash against SeaWorld.

Attendance at SeaWorld parks, which are located in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio, has declined since "Blackfish" premiered.

"Blackfish" recounts the 2010 death of veteran SeaWorld trainer who was killed by a whale named Tilikum. It challenges the concept of keeping killer whales for entertainment and suggests that Tilikum had been driven to madness by captivity.

The company has also lost some of its long-standing corporate sponsors, including Southwest Airlines (LUV), which dissolved its 26-year-long partnership with the company. Mattel (MAT), which made a SeaWorld-themed Barbie, confirmed last week that it would not renew its licensing agreement with the company.

Meanwhile, SeaWorld's stock price has gone into a tailspin, falling roughly 48% since the documentary debuted.

The Jane Goodall Institution did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
For those who don't know, Goodall is a pioneering scientist that lived among chimpanzees and led breakthrough studies on primates from her findings.

BamfMeat

I thought she was killed by a gorilla and had a movie about mists or something made about her.

Also:

"Jane Goodall is a respected scientist and advocate for the world's primates, but we couldn't disagree more with her on this," SeaWorld said in a statement. "Zoos and marine mammal parks like SeaWorld allow people to experience animals in a way that is inspiring and educational."

Of course they would disagree with her on this. Their $ comes from these shows. They're not going to speak up against that or let anyone take their meal ticket away willy-nilly.

tumblr_lilhilPPDY1qh8t3yo1_500.jpg

IronRinn

Seaworld: "ok" :(

Seriously, I don't think I can recall seeing something like what's happened with SeaWorld and Blackfish. I was watching something last week and there was a fucking commercial fro SeaWorld with trainers desperately trying to convince viewers that the place was really great and the whales love it there. Crazy.

HORRORSHØW

blackfish was eye-opening in the context of how marine animals are cared for in captivity. i can only imagine that the same treatment extends to zoos as well. these are antiquated forms of exoticism from a bygone era. sanctuaries for injured animals are fine; exploitation and profiteering are not.

guek

Banned
Zoos that don't make their animals put on trained shows are usually pretty good. Many of them actually lengthen the lifespan of the animals and protect them from habitat destruction and the like.
Yeah depends on the zoo and the show. I like raptor shows that are essentially just birds flying between posts for treats.

Pastry

Banned
I've been seeing a sea world commercial lately where they're claiming dolphins and whales live just as long in captivity. It might be a regional commercial since we have a Sea World in San Antonio.

rrvv

I actually wondering if there is a way to enjoy animal show without actually hurting the animal itsef

HUELEN10

Don't close down sea world.

Why the fuck does releasing orcas mean SeaWorld has to close? Marine parks like SeaWorld, Marineland, and Miami Seaquarium help animals and raise awareness. They help injured Florida sea cows (what some of y'all call manatees), and our Sea Turtles. Without them, many injured animals of Florida's waters would die.

I care too much for my local wildlife to call institutions like this to abruptly close. Change, maybe, that is valid and fair, but don't close them.

Hazmat

I didn't realize their stock had fallen the much, damn. I saw a commercial they did to dispute the stuff in Blackfish, I guess this is why.

Don't close down sea world.

Why the fuck does releasing orcas mean SeaWorld has to close? Marine parks like SeaWorld, Marineland, and Miami Seaquarium help animals and raise awareness. They help injured Florida sea cows (what some of y'all call manatees), and our Sea Turtles. Without them, many injured animals of Florida's waters would die.

I care too much for my local wildlife to call institutions like this to abruptly close. Change, maybe, that is valid and fair, but don't close them.

I don't think people have to say "gradually close down Sea World in a way that doesn't endanger the animals" rather than simply "close down Sea World" in order to get the point across.

Redd

I've been seeing a sea world commercial lately where they're claiming dolphins and whales live just as long in captivity. It might be a regional commercial since we have a Sea World in San Antonio.

Been seeing the same thing all the time in Virginia lately. Now I see why it's been happening.

HUELEN10

I don't think people have to say "gradually close down Sea World in a way that doesn't endanger the animals" rather than simply "close down Sea World" in order to get the point across.

Yes they do. They are demonizing all the good these places do and why they exist in the first place if they don't.

TheXbox

Seaworld sucks anyway. It's like an ultra shitty aquarium with some sketchy whale shows. I think I've been to all the major theme parks in Florida and Seaworld is by far the worst.

actually they're all pretty bad, but Seaworld is the worstest. Epcot rules

Mimosa97

Yes they do. They are demonizing all the good these places do and why they exist in the first place if they don't.

Did you watch BlackFish ?

And the few " good " things they do aren't done for charity purposes. They only care about money. It's either PR stunts or because they know those animals they're helping will ultimately help them make money.

Ronin Ray

I keep seeing this same commercial and I wonder if it's national

Somnid

Whatever issues with SeaWorld exist, this is actually presented in a very troublesome way. Jane Goodall as far as anyone knows is not any sort of expert on marine wildlife and therefore has no special reason to present info. Secondly, this dispute seems easily provable. Measure the sound in the tanks. SeaWorld says they do measure the sound in the tanks and that's it's less than the ambient ocean. If that's true then this is simply presenting bad information and will likely get repeated because SeaWorld is perceived to be unethical.

Never been to Seaworld, never going.

How are aquariums though for those who are more activist about it? I like the Birch Aquarium in San Diego and the Monterrey one in N cali, I assume those are better for the animals involved since afaik they don't keep dolphins or whales.

Volimar

Seaworld is a victim of its own success. If it weren't for them no one would give a shit about Orcas in the first place. Doesn't justify the captivity, just kind of funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom