• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seaworld may be up for sale

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/10/06/seaworld-may-have-more-suitors-than-you-think.aspx

There are plenty of companies that can benefit from having SeaWorld in their arsenal, especially if they believe that they can turn the three namesake parks around while also benefiting from Busch Gardens, Sesame Place, and its water parks. Merlin Entertainments is believed to be interested in just Busch Gardens Virginia and Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and it wouldn't be a surprise if two companies step up to split the assets, particularly if Merlin is able to pay enough of a premium for those two assets.

Existing SeaWorld partners are logical potential buyers. China's Zhonghong -- the company that shelled out $429 million or $23 a share for a 21% stake earlier this year -- is an obvious candidate. It's more than a fifth of the way there. There's also SeaWorld's partner that's building the first SeaWorld without killer whales in Dubai as a possible acquirer.

We also can't forget private equity. SeaWorld Entertainment has struggled as a publicly traded entity. It's hard to succeed when you have protesters including PETA mocking your financials with every passing quarter. A turnaround would be a lot easier to achieve outside of the fickle stock market with its need for quarterly updates.

However, the more scintillating candidates -- at least from the perspective of retail investors that may want a shot at owning SeaWorld's assets through its attempted turnaround -- are publicly traded stateside companies. I went over the many reasons why Disney (NYSE:DIS) should be interested in SeaWorld, but it won't be. It's a long shot. However, let's not dismiss the strong reasons for Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), Cedar Fair (NYSE:FUN), Six Flags (NYSE:SIX), or possibly a media giant like Discovery Communications (NASDAQ:DISCA) stepping up.

Parques Reunidos is also interested and have apparently bid on it.
https://www.streetinsider.com/Hot+M...+from+Parques+Reunidos+-+Source/13376362.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nidos-is-said-to-explore-purchase-of-seaworld

Supposed offer for 1.6Billion, SeaWorld current market cap is ~1.2B and EV is ~2.75B.
As per wiki, these are the properties that SeaWorld has:

Parks
Busch Gardens Tampa – Tampa, Florida
Busch Gardens Williamsburg – Williamsburg, Virginia
SeaWorld Orlando – Orlando, Florida
SeaWorld San Antonio – San Antonio, Texas
SeaWorld San Diego – San Diego, California
Sesame Place – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Discovery Cove – Orlando, Florida
SeaWorld Abu Dhabi (under construction)

Water parks
Aquatica Orlando – Orlando, Florida
Aquatica San Antonio – San Antonio, Texas
Aquatica San Diego – Chula Vista, California
Adventure Island – Tampa, Florida
Water Country USA – Williamsburg, Virginia

The Seaworld brand is radioactive. Close the parks and release the animals, into the wild if possible or to a scientific establishment that can take care of them.

Volimar

It's a more toxic brand than Trump is. Good luck to whoever buys it. Hope they completely rethink their ideas.

bosseye

GAF should club together to buy it. Lose all the aquatic animals and set up exhibits with posters who can't wipe their arse, answer doors etc; fascinating exhibits for those in the real world.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Was there other animal abuse other than the orcas?
Blackfish did quite a number on them.

I went as a kid, and liked it but I was also like 10.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I've never heard of Aquatica and I've lived in San Diego County since the '70s except living in LA for the second half of the '00s.

The Seaworld brand is radioactive. Close the parks and release the animals, into the wild if possible or to a scientific establishment that can take care of them.

I actually think you can have a theme park that serves as a wildlife conservatory/zoo (Animal Kingdom did a much better job of it than Sea World, for example), but the primary problem would be the actual Sea World name itself, and bringing down costs to meet the expected drop in visitors that would cause.

Also, most of the animals there have been there so long they wouldn't survive in the wild, IIRC.

I think you guys are missing how big an opportunity this is for whoever buys them. We are talking about a big discount here on major theme parks where all the infrastructure and land for the parks are there already, saving on cost. Even if they re-purpose the park (i.e. change seaworld to be a regular, non sea park), the savings would be huge. No one is stupid enough to keep the seaworld name, just like no one is stupid enough to keep the cetaceans in the park (which btw, Disney has 4 dolphins at Epcot Center, they just don't perform in front of people and whatnot). Whoever buys them will rehabilitate the animals and try to get good press. Seaworld ain't getting out of this on their own, the best thing to happen to them is sell and get out, whoever buys them needs to clean house.

There are some challenges for whoever buys them. Getting rid of the stench and public outcry is the major one as we see. Rehabilitating and not having any more cetaceans for show and performing dumb tricks is a must for the buyer. Cedar, SixFlags, Merlin, Parque would all benefit for expansions to their company, and especially to the Orlando area. Zhongdong and Discovery would benefit by getting a footprint in the theme park realm, but for my money, I think Disney or Universal would be the ones with the most to gain by buying them.

I actually think you can have a theme park that serves as a wildlife conservatory/zoo (Animal Kingdom did a much better job of it than Sea World, for example), but the primary problem would be the actual Sea World name itself, and bringing down costs to meet the expected drop in visitors that would cause.

Also, most of the animals there have been there so long they wouldn't survive in the wild, IIRC.

I don't necessarily have a problem with an "ethical zoo," but sea animals are a totally different...well, animal, metaphorically and literally speaking. As far as I know, nobody has ever put forward a legitimate or business-sound idea for an "ethical aquarium" that passes muster. Sea animals like dolphins and orcas just require way too much space than is feasible for an establishment.

Buy it and do whatever is necessary to make it into an ethical place.
Can't have dolphins, for example? So fuckin be it.
Make it a place that works for animals.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's hard to succeed when you have protesters including PETA mocking your financials with every passing quarter.

yes, surely this is the problem and not the company abusing vulnerable animals while laughing off journalistic investigations as irrelevant even as the ground crumbles under their feet

Dyle

Kind of surprising that they're doing this now, the parks have been getting some pretty substantial rides the last few years. I figured they might have moved past this as an option. I can definitely see Merlin being interested, but at the same time I could see them viewing it as cannibalizing their Legoland parks in Florida/San Diego. It's particularly difficult for Seaworld now, because they basically have to wait for the orcas to die off before they can totally rebrand the parks which will probably take at least 5+ years. I wish them success though, their theme park operations have always been good and their mix of rides and animals makes for a well-rounded park that appeals to everyone. Fix the ethical problems, rebrand, and they're set

I dont get these attacks on PETA. They atleast take a stand and try do something for animals, the rights of animal and moving vegetarism forward. Are they not?

PETA is the main reason no one takes vegans seriously.

That and their continued crusade against Pokemon and Mario (no, really) is hilarious.

vtaRQza_d.jpg

I dont get these attacks on PETA. They atleast take a stand and try do something for animals, the rights of animal and moving vegetarism forward. Are they not?

I think the screenshot posted above is pretty sufficient.
Hypocritical as hell, PETA, and "taking a stand" in the worst way. So many indefensible actions.

I wanna add some images of the comics they handed out:

Edit: And how about Cooking Mama Kills Animals?

Hesh

PETA is a sham led by money-grubbing psychos. They don't "take a stand" for anything, and they do publicity stunts for money. If you truly care about animals then support your local shelters. Don't expect multi-million dollar corporations to to the job for you if you cut them a check.

If memory serves, they asked the Warhammer guys if one of the races in the game could stop wearing pelt loincloths, because they thought it promoted killing and skinning animals. That's how dumb they are. They also steal people's animals and kill them, make fake videos all the time etc. They're a bunch of psychotic fuckers.

Universal?

Certainly. Getting a 3rd gate in Orlando would really put the pressure on Disney, plus immediate presence in TX and Dubai would be huge, they would just need to build hotel/resorts in those place because it's their ethos. I think they would sell off BG Tampa and BG VA, but could use them as well. SeaWorld is 20-30 mins from where Universal/IOA resorts are, easy to provide a shuttle and no need for a new hotel at that location. The infrastructure is there and they would just need to retheme it to something that fits their model.

Likewise, Disney getting an immediate 5th gate in Orlando would be huge, they could re-purpose the Orlando park to be like Tokyo's Disney at Sea and get rid of cetaceans. Likewise it's 20-30 mins from WDW, easy to provide a shuttle as well.

Disney would also need to build resort/hotels in other properties, but they had plans to build a "Disney's America" in VA in the 90s that would depict the history of the US and be an educational park. I have been to the park and the infrastructure is all there, it's just a bit disorganized and with crappy rides. It could easily be fixed. Their idea for soarin sucks and had me dizzy.

A Disneyland Texas / Universal Texas with a water park to boot would be a big deal in the midwest. Again, there would be a need for a resort and I'm not sure how cheap land around the park would be there, but it would give a nice presence in the midwest while also getting people excited to visit the bigger resorts in FL and CA. And Disney can actually build Marvel Land in TX. Plus the buyer would get a presence in Abu Dhabi right off the bat. Sell all other properties.

It's a long shot that either one of them would seriously consider it, but they would have the most to gain IMO, especially Disney.

I went to the one in San Diego last year. It seemed real run down. Lots of closed buildings and sections, and just rather unkempt looking all around.

Pizza

I'd love to see sea world rebrand as a mostly-zoo sort of thing. Big open spaces for the animals, ditch the cute shows

Have a professional chilling with a sea lion telling you sea lion facts

Don't keep animals in pens, if you're going to have whales they should have enough space to be comfortable in a simulated environment.

Or, have a rotating cast of animals that hang out at the park after they're picked up to be saved, before being released back into the wild. Have maybe two really well-run parks. Half actual zoo, half amusement park? Rides and shit?

Idk, I like the idea of sea world trying to rebrand themselves as a mostly-humanitarian thing. I think it could work. Sea World gave me a deep love for marine life as a kid and orca whales are still my favorite animals. Not every whale needs to be shamu lol

If they had a huge zoo-quality simulated enclosure for like, dolphins, that was mostly circled by a viewing area that'd be rad. The other half of the walkway around the area could be more tanks full of fish and shit.

Close down most the parks and quadruple down

WaterAstro

Some of these marine animals cannot live outside anymore unfortunately.

Rehabilitate whatever they can, and turn the rest of the place into an actual marine sanctuary aquarium and downscale the "amusement park" aspect.

geomon

Some of these marine animals cannot live outside anymore unfortunately.

Rehabilitate whatever they can, and turn the rest of the place into an actual marine sanctuary aquarium and downscale the "amusement park" aspect.

This. Also they should have to submit to routine and random inspections from any legitimate animal rights organization for the foreseeable future.

slit

There is no way Cedar Fair would be interested. They have never shown interest in running wildlife parks. I think Cedar Point used to have a dolphin show way back when but that is about the extent of it.

Top Bottom