• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan DS/PSP Sales Charts

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
if PSP didn't have Monster Hunter, would it be pretty much Non-existant in Japan?

Avellon

Being as there are around 6 million psps in japan, and about 2 million copies of monster hunter sold so far. I'm going to say no, it wouldn't be non existant. There probably wouldn't be as high of a tie ratio though.

ziran

Thanks Dalthien and Rock_Man.

Since the release of DS it's been obvious Nintendo has been publishing more titles than they have previously, so I looked through their Japanese site to see how many titles they released on existing systems and was surprised at just how much they've grown.

Wii: 13 titles over 9 months

DS: 78 titles over 2 years 9 months
(incl. Pictochat and 1 title being 5 Point and Speak Phrasebooks)

GC: 54 titles over 5 years 4 months
(55 listed, incl. FFCC)

GBA: 76 titles over 5 years 6 months
(3 titles being 10 Famicom Mini games each)

N64: 45 titles over 4 years 11 months

SNES: 29 titles over 6 years 4 months

GB/GBC: 65 titles over 12 years 3 months

Nintendo has already published more titles on DS than any other system since the GB/GBC, (probably more than they ever have, NES info wasn't available), and has passed GBA's total in half the time! Also, with the upcoming release of Mario Strikers Charged, Nintendo is publishing Wii titles at 1.5x the rate of GC (14 games over 15 months on GC, 14 games over 10 months on Wii).

Defuser

WildArms said:
if PSP didn't have Monster Hunter, would it be pretty much Non-existant in Japan?
Maybe...till Crisis Core comes into the picture.

Pureauthor said:
Um, dark10x, before you say Singapore has good taste, remember that we love our Maple Story and Korean MMOs. :lol

And anyway, where did anyone get concrete info on what's more popular in S'pore in the first place?
Anecdotal sight,I'm seeing lot's of people with PSP on bus/train/schools and very little DS everywhere.

Defuser said:
Maybe...till Crisis Core comes into the picture.

Hardware moves at a decent clip, but software wise... enh.

wow, 3rd parties are doing alot better on the PSP

psyduck.gif

titiklabingapat said:
This is what mediocre tie ratio but overwhelming userbase looks like.

I don't think its their fault. There's been a rush of new software every week, for the past year. And most casual users are hardly going to have more than 3 games in the DS's lifetime. Hopefully, there will be a large weight pushing the DS forward in coming years, and lots of old games will continue to be sold in the 1000's every week.

There needs to be a ban on new games, so people have a chance to save up, and buy some of the games already made. Well that's how I feel anyway.

Pureauthor said:
Hardware moves at a decent clip, but software wise... enh.

psyduck.gif

Why do people slam PSP sales so much? This chart proves only that its definitely profitable to make stuff for the PSP and DS both.

BANDAI Released 2 Dragonball Z games for PSP and DS each.

DS Total Sales: 317,078 + 136,441 = 453,519
PSP Total Sales: 140,863 + 78,227 = 219,090

If you were in charge of Bandai...

Why would you NOT want to make a game for PSP and make more money? To please haters?

Linkup

UntoldDreams said:
Why do people slam PSP sales so much? This chart proves only that its definitely profitable to make stuff for the PSP and DS both.

Why would you NOT want to make a game for PSP and make more money? To please haters?

because the next DBZ game could definitely end up below 70k and that isn't profitable?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
UntoldDreams said:

u do realize that thos psp shin budoukai games were as great as those ps2 games - and that both ds games sucked yes ?

larvi

Nuclear Muffin said:
That DS tie ratio should really be better. It looks like the majority of people stick with certain types of games really.

Still, it`s not too shabby really. Handheld tie ratios are historically low anyway.

One thing is that affects the ratio on the handhelds is that a good percentage people own more than 1, i.e a DS + DSL, and from a family perspective quite a few more. We have 3 DS phats between the kids and I right now and eventually it will be 3 DS phats + 3 DSLs. A few games such as pokemon you buy a copy for each family member but a lot of other games you buy one to share for the whole family and take turns. If there were a way to track tie ratio per person or family instead of per handheld it would be substantially higher. You have this to some degree with consoles too but nowhere as much.

Tabris

The DS is declining and the PSP is increasing in both hardware and software sales the last 2 months in Japan. The tide is turning.

The PSP just has positive movement and feedback all around. We will settle into a comfortable 35/65 by the end of the market's life which should be considered a success by Sony for having taken 35% of Nintendo's market.

jarrod

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo's MH3-tri deal means no 3rd Portable iteration too? Aren't the Portable games largely based off the console titles?

Makes me wonder if Nintendo was more looking at stealing the most successful PSP series versus nabbing a specific PS3 exclusive?

Saitou

Banned
Tabris said:
The DS is declining and the PSP is increasing in both hardware and software sales the last 2 months in Japan. The tide is turning.

The PSP just has positive movement and feedback all around. We will settle into a comfortable 35/65 by the end of the market's life which should be considered a success by Sony for having taken 35% of Nintendo's market.
facepalm.gif

Parl

Tabris said:

DS is possibly on track to selling 35-40 million when it's all said and done (in about 4 years, or more).

Are you saying that if DS gets 35 million, PSP will get 19 million? :lol

jarrod

Banned
Tabris said:
which should be considered a success by Sony for having taken 35% of Nintendo's market.
Well, since Nintendo's set to eat ~75% of Sony's console market, seems like a fair trade. :lol

donny2112

Tabris said:

Looking at the last 8 weeks:
PSP: 718,998
DS: 632,168

PSP: +86,830

LTD up to that point:
PSP: 5,879,599
DS: 19,100,856

DS: +13,221,257

If you look at the last 10 weeks, DS is ahead of PSP by 108K. Also, DS has been ahead of PSP for the last 3 weeks.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
I wonder if Nintendo's MH3-tri deal means no 3rd Portable iteration too? Aren't the Portable games largely based off the console titles?

Makes me wonder if Nintendo was more looking at stealing the most successful PSP series versus nabbing a specific PS3 exclusive?

Do we even know if MH3 is time-exclusive or not? Or only a Wii exclusive concerning consoles? I don't remember how detailed the exclusivity was described in the press release.
I don't see why they suddenly would stop making PSP versions though, when clearly there's profit to be made on the platform. Well, unless they're getting a lot of money-hats or similar from Nintendo of course.
But I'm sure we'll see a PSP version sooner or later. Just slap a different subtitle on the box, throw in some extra material and call it a day. After all, Capcom is hardly unfamiliar with that routine. :p

Kenka

donny2112 said:
Looking at the last 8 weeks:
PSP: 718,998
DS: 632,168

PSP: +86,830

LTD up to that point:
PSP: 5,879,599
DS: 19,100,856

DS: +13,221,257

If you look at the last 10 weeks, DS is ahead of PSP by 108K. Also, DS has been ahead of PSP for the last 3 weeks.

The revelance of your post just wowed me. It's one of the cleverest posts I've ever seen on GAF. And one of the most cool-downing response on the console war subject.

Jammy

Banned
Tabris said:

Do you think Nintendo would really care? The DS will surpass 60 million worldwide by the start of next year. So what if Sony sells 20 million PSP systems? For Nintendo, the DS is their biggest boon pretty much ever, so why look at market share?

And what tide? :lol DS is going to explode this holiday season everywhere. PSP just doesn't have the software to back it up. Go look in the stickied weekly releases thread. DS's Japanese line-up is just full of heavy hitters.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Do we even know if MH3 is time-exclusive or not? Or only a Wii exclusive concerning consoles? I don't remember how detailed the exclusivity was described in the press release.
I don't see why they suddenly would stop making PSP versions though, when clearly there's profit to be made on the platform. Well, unless they're getting a lot of money-hats or similar from Nintendo of course.
But I'm sure we'll see a PSP version sooner or later. Just slap a different subtitle on the box, throw in some extra material and call it a day. After all, Capcom is hardly unfamiliar with that routine. :p
Yeah, I guess it really all depends on the details of the exclusive deal. Even if it's a year, I can see Port 3rd coming after that...

Drek

Nintendo DS by Publisher

# of games - Publisher - Total sales - Average sales per game

80 Nintendo - 51,498,065 Avg - 643,726
12 Square Enix - 4,746,359 Avg - 395,530
28 Bandai - 3,962,256 Avg - 141,509
23 Sega - 2,725,047 Avg - 118,480
12 Capcom - 2,011,083 Avg - 167,590
32 Konami - 1,835,333 Avg - 57,354
17 Namco - 1,475,827 Avg - 86,813

So does this finally end the argument that Nintendo completely obliterates all other 3rd parties on their formats?

Seriously. No one should ever bitch about 3rd party support on Nintendo platforms again. Look at those numbers, what 3rd party in their right mind wouldn't run like mad away from that?

SE is the only one who's average game is even half of Nintendo's average game. Why compete in such a lopsided market when MS and Sony will effectively pay you not to?

Busaiku

Drek said:
So does this finally end the argument that Nintendo completely obliterates all other 3rd parties on their formats?

Seriously. No one should ever bitch about 3rd party support on Nintendo platforms again. Look at those numbers, what 3rd party in their right mind wouldn't run like mad away from that?

SE is the only one who's average game is even half of Nintendo's average game. Why compete in such a lopsided market when MS and Sony will effectively pay you not to?
You know, just cause a game published by a 3rd Party doesn't sell as well as one that is published by Nintendo, that doesn't mean the companies aren't finding raging success.

jarrod

Banned
Drek said:
Look at those numbers, what 3rd party in their right mind wouldn't run like mad away from that?
One who's only alternative was a strunggling software platform like PSP? Maybe?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
48,000 Famicom Wars DS (Advance Wars: Dual Strike) (Nintendo) (6/23/05) - rounded off through July 2/06 (MC)

/tear

Drek said:

You might want to look at a metric (or series of metrics) that's even remotely representative before you draw a conclusion here. Say, apples-to-apples comparisons of series performance from GBA -> DS (most of which are notably up), or individual performance of top games from different publishers. It's also probably worth checking in again this winter, after some of the huge third party DS titles (which have essentially no first-party competition this holiday) get counted.

The DS is absolutely not the Nintendo system that has any justification for the "trouble for third-parties" stigma.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Drek said:

Get a PSP sales by publisher and get the average per game, then we can talk.

It doesn't matter that sales are bad if there is no base to compare it to.

If a company A has 130,000 sales on Console A, it really is absurd to compare it without looking at the sales on Console B and view other stuff like production costs and overall profit.

ethelred

Drek said:

This position is kinda lacking in nuance, isn't it? I've tried to address this point before, but basically looking at flat averages is a lot less instructive than looking at the sales of specific games. Would these games have performed better on a different platform? Would the company have gotten better sales just flat out making another game on a different platform?

Tecmo's just released a new game that's already outsold all their Ninja Gaidens in Japan and looks like it'll outsell DoA4 as well as their recent Deception/Gallop Racer games (the other top two franchises for the company). Are these bad sales for Tecmo because a Nintendo game has sold more? Level-5 published its first game on the DS and it's sold more than their three Sony-published PS2 games combined. Should they consider that a disappointment? Look at my older post and you can see how Atlus's Etrian Odyssey sales stack up against the sales they got on the PS2 for various games. Sega got its second million seller in its entire history on the DS, so you know, I think they're probably seeing that as a success.

The problem with looking at averages and nothing but the averages is that you're seeing the positive sales dragged down by shovelware that sells poorly, is designed to sell poorly (because it's so cheaply made), and would sell poorly on any system. Bandai's totals are lowered by something like Treasure Gaust -- do you think that would've sold well on any system?

To provide some context here...

Code:
Company:	NDS Total:	PSP Total:	NDS Avg: 	PSP Avg:
Square Enix	4,746,359	1,458,950	395,530		243,158
Bandai 		3,962,256	1,451,544	141,509		69,121
Sega		2,725,047	880,861		118,480		58,724
Capcom		2,011,083	2,672,232	167,590		222,686
Konami		1,835,333	1,915,853	57,354		79,827
Namco		1,475,827	1,925,716	86,813		101,353

Marvelous 	781,287 	176,708		71,026		25,244
Hudson 		601,047 	88,076		42,932		22,019
Spike		465,770		13,990		77,628		6,995
Banpresto 	456,532 	140,483		91,306		46,828
EA		250,723		159,589		35,818		14,508
Atlus		168,881		35,466		56,294		17,733
Taito		199,376 	29,296		18,125		17,406

You're right that a lot of these averages aren't astonishing, and even some of the totals aren't... but they're not going to be unless the quality and calibre of the games are increased, too. For instance, there are a few publishers that, just in looking at the averages, have clearly done better on the PSP -- Capcom, Konami, and Namco. In Capcom's case, it's obviously because they haven't seen anything sell nearly as well as the two Monster Hunter games (their median sales on the PSP are a frightfully low 33,000). Konami and Namco are the two companies that have had the most drastic and noticable difference in quality support for the PSP versus the DS, and they've seen the appropriate pay-offs for that.

Or how about we look at it this way:
Code:
Company:	NDS Total:	PS3 Total:	NDS Avg: 	PS3 Avg: 
Sega		2,725,047	151,838		118,480		37,960
Konami		1,835,333	81,068		57,354		40,534

Put in this light, why in the world would Konami or Sega continue PS3 development? Clearly the DS is a much more lucrative arena...

Dalthien

Hcoregamer00 said:
Get a PSP sales by publisher and get the average per game, then we can talk.
Actually, we're working on putting that together right now. We should have it up shortly, and then it will be updated on a regular basis along with the charts.

Edit - although for the time-being (until we get the PSP publisher breakdown finished), ethelred seems to have done a nice job. :D

Drek said:
That was never really an argument though. The truth is that Nintendo obliterates all other publishers regardless of platform. You can add all the platforms together, and Nintendo still dominates any and every other publisher.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
jarrod said:
Yeah, I guess it really all depends on the details of the exclusive deal. Even if it's a year, I can see Port 3rd coming after that...

I can't imagine that Capcom would agree to anything that would eliminate a third game on the PSP. Actually i'd be more inclined to believe Capcom chose the Wii over the PS3 for MH3 because it'd be easier to port a Wii game to the PSP than a PS3 game.

Haunted One said:
oh snap. :bow ethel

Eagerly awaiting Drek's response to that post.
That was a backhanded bitchslap if I ever saw one.:lol

There's a reason I knew of ethelred years before I joined.

Unabrashed uncontrolled truth. Nintendo fans seem to hate him for that, and I'm starting to think Sony fans might soon too.:lol

Heh, I really like the NeoGAF.

after seeing those Ds numbers, the psp software sales are pretty lackluster.

If you're any company looking to design a game.. the DS is without a doubt the choice. way bigger user base, cheaper development costs.

ccbfan

edwardslane said:
after seeing those Ds numbers, the psp software sales are pretty lackluster.

If you're any company looking to design a game.. the DS is without a doubt the choice. way bigger user base, cheaper development costs.

Nah its not that bad at all for the PSP.

If you take out the first party games for both systems, they're both pretty comparable. Remember good first party sales have never translated to good third party sales for nintendo systems and third parties know that. Even then though DS still beats the PSP pretty handily but its not a day and night difference where Developers steer away from PSP development.

Heck sadly the company thats giving the PSP the largest cold shoulder is sony.

Tabris said:

Yes, Lets use the sales during the general period crisis core launched as a basis for all future sales.

ethelred

ccbfan said:
Nah its not that bad at all for the PSP.

If you take out the first party games for both systems, they're both pretty comparable. Remember good first party sales have never translated to good third party sales for nintendo systems and third parties know that.

Wow, it's almost like I never posted at all.

Tell me, what do you consider "comparable?" Because if I take out first party sales for the DS and the PSP, it certainly looks to me like third parties have sold twice as much software on the DS compared to the PSP. This is "comparable?"

Hey, guys, seriously, I know it's fun to just spout off whatever nonsense pops into your brains, but when all the numbers are right here, it wouldn't actually kill you to do a bit of simple stats beforehand.

schild

Guys, DS games don't make that much money :( The margins are pretty shitty. Please don't compare the UMD to it. It's just silly. Very, very few companies are getting 1 money hat off the DS let alone MANY money hats.

Now Wii vs PS3 is a different story. But then, if you're putting it out for the Wii, you might as well put it out on the PS2 also.

ccbfan

ethelred said:
Wow, it's almost like I never posted at all.

Tell me, what do you consider "comparable?" Because if I take out first party sales for the DS and the PSP, it certainly looks to me like third parties have sold twice as much software on the DS compared to the PSP. This is "comparable?"

Hey, guys, seriously, I know it's fun to just spout off whatever nonsense pops into your brains, but when all the numbers are right here, it wouldn't actually kill you to do a bit of simple stats beforehand.

Like I said its not that bad.

If you look at the numbers the only major companies that blow the PSP numbers out of the water is Sega and Bandai.

Sega is mostly based off of the love and berry game while Bandai mostly from Taiamgcuhi (no clue how to spell it) and jump superstars.

Like I said its not like a game on the DS have a much better chance to succeed than a game on the PSP. (DS is better but not much better)

Mar

schild said:
Guys, DS games don't make that much money :( The margins are pretty shitty. Please don't compare the UMD to it. It's just silly. Very, very few companies are getting 1 money hat off the DS let alone MANY money hats.

Now Wii vs PS3 is a different story. But then, if you're putting it out for the Wii, you might as well put it out on the PS2 also.

Wow.

Top Bottom