• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan DS/PSP Sales Charts

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, PSP sells no software so selling a little more on DS after 3 years means they aren't selling software there either, right?
The streams have crossed?

ethelred said:
Well, on Konami's side, it's mostly just a matter of volume. They still haven't had any DS games that have sold nearly as well as their top-selling PSP games. Namco has (Mojipittan and Taiko have sold great). And pretty much all of Konami's stuff aside from the Power Pro Pocket series has sold really poorly.
Yeah I know, I was just making fun of the statement really since it's clearly not true.

Konami's stuff has sold poorly across the board, hopefully After School Boy does better than their other efforts to reach the DS userbase in Japan.

donny2112

Looking at just Famitsu data, I have PS2 at 170 million in eight years. DS is over half the way there in less than half that time. :)

JeremyR

Looking at the lists, it's somewhat curious as to how few games are on both platforms.

Granted, the abilities of them are quite different, but you see a lot of Western titles on both. It's also curious that EA didn't release NFS: ProStreet on the DS in Japan, but did on the PSP (even though the PSP version was delayed 4 months after the other versions of the game and is just horrible)

Space Invaders Extreme seems to be the closest to each other (based on screenshots, anyway) but appears to have flopped on both systems (3800 on the DS vs 2500 on the PSP).

Dungeon Explorer was sort of close on both systems. There the DS version did worse, apparently 4800 vs 15000 on the PSP

Dungeon Maker seems to have also done worse on the DS, 1700 copies vs 17000. Dunno how close the games are, other than the names.

There's also Itadaki Street. I dunno how close the two versions are, but the DS version wiped the floor with the PSP version, 400,000 to about 100,000.

And Daisenykau (sp?) sold 6000 copies on the DS; I know there are PSP versions but they don't seem to have charted at all

jarrod

Banned
JeremyR said:
Looking at the lists, it's somewhat curious as to how few games are on both platforms.

Granted, the abilities of them are quite different, but you see a lot of Western titles on both. It's also curious that EA didn't release NFS: ProStreet on the DS in Japan, but did on the PSP (even though the PSP version was delayed 4 months after the other versions of the game and is just horrible)

Space Invaders Extreme seems to be the closest to each other (based on screenshots, anyway) but appears to have flopped on both systems (3800 on the DS vs 2500 on the PSP).

Dungeon Explorer was sort of close on both systems. There the DS version did worse, apparently 4800 vs 15000 on the PSP

Dungeon Maker seems to have also done worse on the DS, 1700 copies vs 17000. Dunno how close the games are, other than the names.

There's also Itadaki Street. I dunno how close the two versions are, but the DS version wiped the floor with the PSP version, 400,000 to about 100,000.

And Daisenykau (sp?) sold 6000 copies on the DS; I know there are PSP versions but they don't seem to have charted at all
There's significant release gaps between Dungeon Maker, Itadaki Street and Daisenryaku though (all favoring PSP). Itadaki Street DS was also a ground up original release (featuring DQ and Mario characters) while the PSP version was a PS2 port (featuring DQ & FF characters).

Another good comparable might be Puyo Puyo Fever 2 and the recent 15th Anniversary game, though the latter had a DS release lead.

Top Bottom