• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan is using NHK to rewrite its role in WWII

Status
Not open for further replies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ing-its-role-in-second-world-war-9115827.html

Naoki Hyakuta says Japan was lured into the Second World War by America while liberating Asia from white colonialism.

He denies war crimes such as the 1937 Nanjing massacre, when Japanese troops killed thousands of Chinese civilians. Such views are common among revisionists in Japan. Mr Hyakuta, however, sits on the board of the nation’s public service broadcaster.

NHK has annual revenue of more than $6bn (£3.7bn), putting it close to the BBC. Like the British broadcaster, it is obliged to be impartial and aloof from the political fray, so the company is under intense fire for the extraordinary views of four its governors, all reportedly handpicked by the right-wing Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe. The 12-member board controls programming policy and budgets.

The furore began two weeks ago in a press conference by NHK’s new chairman, Katsuto Momii, who stunned journalists by saying it was “only natural” that NHK should follow the government line on Japan’s territorial disputes with its neighbours. “When the government says ‘left’ we can’t say ‘right’,” he said. He then defended Japan’s wartime system of sex slaves, saying such a system was “commonplace” in war.

Next up it was the turn of board member Michiko Hasegawa. In an essay written a month before her appointment, she eulogised an ultra-nationalist who committed ritual suicide a decade ago in protest outside Japan’s liberal-left Asahi newspaper. “There could be no better offering,” said Ms Hasegawa.

Mr Hyakuta is a vocal supporter of Toshio Tamogami, the candidate for Tokyo governor who was sacked as air-force general in 2007 for denying the accepted narrative of the war. In a speech last week campaigning for Mr Tamogami, he called the Nanking Massacre a “fabrication”.

The appointments have crystallised lingering fears about Mr Abe’s agenda. He wants to radically overhaul three of Japan’s basic modern charters: the 1946 pacifist constitution, the education law and the security treaty with the United States.

Critics say such a far-reaching project would have profound consequences for Japan, but the NHK controversy seems to show that Mr Abe intends to shut debate down.“Momii is perfectly willing to, in effect, turn NHK into a propaganda mouthpiece of the current administration,” thundered an unusually fierce editorial in The Japan Times.

The battle lines around Mr Abe’s agenda are set to harden. His ruling Liberal Democratic Party is preparing to challenge the constitutional ban on collective self-defence, a pillar of Japan’s post-war pacifist stance. Opinion polls suggest that more than half of the public oppose Mr Abe’s pet project. Having the state broadcaster on your side no doubt helps

Wow, this shit is pretty fucking disgusting. Imagine the BBC or PBS having Holocaust deniers on their board of directors.

Wiktor

611535-79415_2.jpg
Satō was right, it's all a damn conspiracy

EVOL 100%

Yeah, fuck this shit

He then defended Japan’s wartime system of sex slaves, saying such a system was “commonplace” in war.

Apparently atrocities are a-okay if everybody does it. Nice to hear!

Next up it was the turn of board member Michiko Hasegawa. In an essay written a month before her appointment, she eulogised an ultra-nationalist who committed ritual suicide a decade ago in protest outside Japan’s liberal-left Asahi newspaper. “There could be no better offering,” said Ms Hasegawa.

Well you can always offer yourself too you piece of shit

Mr Hyakuta is a vocal supporter of Toshio Tamogami, the candidate for Tokyo governor who was sacked as air-force general in 2007 for denying the accepted narrative of the war. In a speech last week campaigning for Mr Tamogami, he called the Nanking Massacre a “fabrication”.

lol not going to even touch this one

Critics say such a far-reaching project would have profound consequences for Japan, but the NHK controversy seems to show that Mr Abe intends to shut debate down.“Momii is perfectly willing to, in effect, turn NHK into a propaganda mouthpiece of the current administration,” thundered an unusually fierce editorial in The Japan Times.

Nice to see there is some sense. I can only hope that these disgusting pieces of shit are shut down

Russia and Japan both seem to be sinking back into their WWII "glory days", back when we ripped them a new one economically and imperialistically. This shouldn't be happening after how far they progressed—pre-Putin, Russia wasn't doing too well, but religion was back and (representative) democracy becoming a part of daily life, and Japan had it all before the bubble burst.

Tokyo 2020's gonna be awkward!

aznpxdd

Fucked up. I guess this is one of the reasons why almost every mainland Chinese I know absolutely dislike Japan.

Wiktor

Russia and Japan both seem to be sinking back into their WWII "glory days", back when we ripped them a new one economically and imperialistically. This shouldn't be happening after how far they progressed—pre-Putin, Russia wasn't doing too well, but religion was back and (representative) democracy becoming a part of daily life, and Japan had it all before the bubble burst.

Well, in case of Russia those are pretty damn good memories for them. They won the war, became true superpower and allies were so scared of them they bassicaly handled Stalin all easter europe countries as a gift. No wonder some people feel nostalgic about those times.

EVOL 100%

Fucked up. I guess this is one of the reasons why almost every mainland Chinese I know absolutely dislike Japan.

It's not fair to paint every Japanese under the same brush(the article is about NHK being under shit for doing this) but with the stunts that the right-wing pull there, yeah, it's a pretty fucked up situation.

Well, in case of Russia those are pretty damn good memories for them. They won the war, became true superpower and allies were so scared of them they bassicaly handled Stalin all easter europe countries as a gift. No wonder some people feel nostalgic about those times.
Yeah, this is how they see it. Things were less chaotic after the war, at least once the Thaw hit, than they were when Yeltsin took over. But I'd have thought they could persevere anything with or without perspective on the events, guess not.

Japan's problem at the moment is a history of laughable, imperialist politics (going back to the Meiji Restoration when the emperor took back power) and a generational divide that's preventing business structure from reforming. This leads to nothing but an economic quagmire that's pushed people to a breaking point, and all the votes are going to the nutjobs anyway.

linsivvi

It's not fair to paint every Japanese under the same brush(the article is about NHK being under shit for doing this) but with the stunts that the right-wing pull there, yeah, it's a pretty fucked up situation.

Yeah it's not fair and having such a radical leadership helps the Chinese government to push that agenda.

Best thing the Japanese people can do is to push for a law against WWII war crime denial, make it a crime, much like what many European countries do, including Germany.

Not going to happen though.

Chichikov

At least the soviets beat the Nazis, they did some terrible things in WWII, sure, but they got a lot of things to be proud of as well.
Japan on the other hand, fuck, that's like celebrating the Nazis.

The Japanese don't know any better: history's being rewritten for them and they still don't know much about the Holocaust. Despite all this, their schooling models them to be glorious German citizens in a vacuum.

massoluk

Banned
Japan was lured into the Second World War by America while liberating Asia from white colonialism.

It's amazing they really believe this. If this was true, all Asian countries would have lined up to defend Japan during their trials after the war.

dan2026

Can't they just let World War 2 go?

Why all these years later when pretty much everyone involved is dead, do they still care so much about it?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Why all these years later when pretty much everyone involved is dead, do they still care so much about it?

Forgetting World War 1 is kind of a big reason why World War 2 happened though :p This attitude by the Japanese government is why the Chinese and Korean don't like them. What Japan need to do to calm its neighboring countries is to remove their WW2 war criminals from the shrine. Publically denounce these kinds of people and their behaviour back in WW2. Construct some memorials dedicated to the war crimes they committed (WW2 memorials are everywhere in Berlin !). Overhaul their education system to not gloss over their participations in WW2. These are the things that Germany did after WW2 and it showed that they learned from their mistakes.

Forgetting World War 1 is kind of a big reason why World War 2 happened though :p This attitude by the Japanese government is why the Chinese and Korean don't like them. What Japan need to do to calm its neighboring countries is to remove their WW2 war criminals from the shrine. Publically denounce these kinds of people and their behaviour back in WW2. Construct some memorials dedicated to the war crimes they committed (WW2 memorials are everywhere in Berlin !). Overhaul their education system to not gloss over their participations in WW2. These are the things that Germany did after WW2 and it showed that they learned from their mistakes.

Pretty much other way around. WWII happened exactly because germans didn't forget WWI and the humiliating defeat.

Keyouta

When I lived in Japan, a guy in my class (not sure how many agreed with him) thought Hitler was amazing and someone to be looked up to. That he would do so much for his country.

I hope the large majority of people know the correct history and their role in WW2, but I also know their history education is pretty bad.

Thats the problem though, they "let it go" to such a point were they aren't learning, teaching or even discussing it enough.

Younger people probably hear this crap and believe it because they don't learn enough to know the truth, or at least form their own opinion on it.

Sheroking

Over the last fifty or so years, the Japanese have a lot less to apologize for than the Chinese.

But yes this is kind of fucked up. You did some evil, were spanked, and rebooted yourself to be a (mostly) cool Country. Don't ruin it, Japan.

beast786

When I lived in Japan, a guy in my class (not sure how many agreed with him) thought Hitler was amazing and someone to be looked up to. That he would do so much for his country.

I hope the large majority of people know the correct history and their role in WW2, but I also know their history education is pretty bad.

I am sure there are people in US/UK Who love hitler also. People have good or bad opinions.

to be fair Allies weren't the nicest guy either. both side were horrific in WW2

Daft_Cat

People love that excuse. I think it was also used by the allies when it came to firebombing

I was going to say this. It's not like Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the Tokyo firebombing raids weren't war crimes.... and yet I don't recall any public official admitting to that. It certainly wasn't taught with any sort of critical eye at school.

It strikes me as bizarre... all of those things were pretty much inarguably war crimes by any sort of standard. That was a brutal fucking war from all directions.

My point? It seems like the public consensus in general is full of revisionism and foregone conclusions. I think we all have a lot to reconsider. Not just Japan.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The feeling one gets from reading this reminds me of how I felt about America in the post-9/11 years, thinking a lot about the W. Bush administration and the right wing, fuming over what Fox News said this time... It took me some time to realize the nuance: that half the country was just as disturbed about it as I was.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Pretty much other way around. WWII happened exactly because germans didn't forget WWI and the humiliating defeat.

Germans didn't know how bad WW1 was because it was mostly fought outside of Germany though. They must have forgotten the terrible stories of trench wars and only focused on being pissed they have to pay reparation... either way, it's not a good idea for Japan to wash away its crimes during WW2.

faridmon

Stuff like this makes me respect Germany even more. Bloody hell what a country! Not only did they become a country that recognised its fault, but they didn't go into delusions about the whole thing and respects history as it is. And now, its the best, most culturally diverse country in Europe!
r
Japan could learn a thing or two from them, and for people who say its all administrative voice, I have met few people who have similar ideas on WWII

Business

Disgusting but understandable, nobody wants the stigma of their past wrongs. In USA throwing two atomic bombs to civilians was actually good because it ended the war and that saved lives. Probably Germany is the country that dealt with it better.

BocoDragon

Stuff like this makes me respect Germany even more. Bloody hell what a country! Not only did they become a country that recognised its fault, but they didn't go into delusions about the whole thing and respects history as it is. And now, its the best, most culturally diverse country in Europe!
r
Japan could learn a thing or two from them, and for people who say its all administrative voice, I have met few people who have similar ideas on WWII
I've had to make the same point in a few threads recently but:

War guilt was imposed on Germany by the Allies because it was prudent to do so, stamp out Naziism, and prevent a repeat of the post-WWI victim mentality. Being divided by the iron curtain only intensified this re-education tendency.

War guilt was not imposed on Japan, because it was more prudent to leave the Emperor in power and re-direct the people and the lucrative post-Empire economy towards serving American needs.

If we want to say that Germany is better off for it... Yeah probably! But if you use words like "respect" I protest a bit because I don't think it had anything to do with strength of character. It was more about the extent to which each country was forced by their occupiers to re-educate future generations.

Fritz

I've had to make the same point in a few threads recently but:

War guilt was imposed on Germany by the Allies because it was prudent to do so, stamp out Naziism, and prevent a repeat of the post-WWI victim mentality. Being divided by the iron curtain only intensified this re-education tendency.

War guilt was not imposed on Japan, because it was more prudent to leave the Emperor in power and re-direct the people and the lucrative post-Empire economy towards serving American needs.

If we want to say that Germany is better off for it... Yeah probably! But if you use words like "respect" I protest a bit because I don't think it had anything to do with strength of character. It was more about the extent to which each country was forced by their occupiers to re-educate future generations.

That is really belittling the efforts done by this country to this day.

Forkball

NHK is like the PBS of Japan. Pretty awful that the people in charge now can quickly cause the station's reputation to plummet. Please retire again Abe, and take your friends with you.

Clov

This is inexcusable. As interested as I am in going to this country as a teacher, sometimes it does things that are just disgusting.

If half the population is against this, won't Abe suffer during the next election? When is the next election, anyway?

BocoDragon

That is really belittling the efforts done by this country to this day.
Why? The re-education was struck while the iron was hot after the war.. It is no surprise that the tendency to teach guilt for the war continues on.

Much harder for Japanese to just flip a switch to "war guilt" after 60 years of never having to.

amrihua

Another reason not to pay for them. I keep sending them back every time they ask for money. Why pay when I don't watch their programming?

Mononoke

Banned
This is inexcusable. As interested as I am in going to this country as a teacher, sometimes it does things that are just disgusting.

If half the population is against this, won't Abe suffer during the next election? When is the next election, anyway?

Yeah, I'm moving there in April. But the more I hear about this stuff...

icy_eagle

It's not like Japanese PM stay around anyway

It's always been interesting how Japan has decried war spoke about the evils of things like the atomic bomb, and yet when it comes to things like Nanking they don't use that as an opportunity for a teaching moment. Of course, I don't want to generalize everyone there, but that's the impression I got from people who have gone to genbaku dome and other musuems.

BocoDragon

Don't most countries have ~50% knuckleheads?

Jimothy

I've always felt the reason for Japan not being pressed to own up to its war crimes was because the vast majority of their victims weren't white people. Most of the shit they did in China and Korea is just as, if not more fucked up than what the Nazis did in Russia and Eastern Europe, but not many people know about it because the victims don't have much presence in western society, aka poor Asian people.

BocoDragon

I've always felt the reason for Japan not being pressed to own up to its war crimes was because the vast majority of their victims weren't white people. Most of the shit they did in China and Korea is just as, if not more fucked up than what the Nazis did in Russia and Eastern Europe, but not many people know about it because the victims didn't have much presence in western society, aka poor Asian people.
It is kind of bizzare how guilt and blame does seem to be racial - or at least regional.

Seems like all Western countries have a bone to pick with America but love Japan.

And all Asian countries have a bone to pick with Japan but love America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom