• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan PS3/Wii/X360 Sales Charts

Dalthien

Charts updated again.

Note that the tie ratios for Wii and PS3 on these charts will be lower than the actual tie ratios because only a few games have charted thus far, and with such a small number of games out, those sales that aren't included here have a bigger effect than normal on the tie ratios listed here. Even so, it is a safe bet that the real PS3 tie ratio is still less than one, and the system has now been out for more than a month. But the X360 tie ratio listed here should be very close to the real one.

It is also interesting to note that Famitsu had Wii hardware sales at 109k last week (Dec 4-10) which is quite a bit higher than Media Create had it. If Famitsu tracks this week (Dec 11-17) similarly to MC, then Famitsu would now have the Wii at just under 600k.

Dalthien

Charts updated!

Note that there haven't been many updates to the PS3 and X360 charts, just because nothing from those systems has made the Top 30 in several weeks now. But a few titles were included in the data which was presented in the final yearly charts. Thanks to cvxfreak for that data.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
360 sales have been an average of 17K units per week over the past month (excluding the 35K outbreak that was caused by Blue Dragon)

Where's LP?

ethelred

Forgotten Ancient said:
PS3: 280,977

Wii: 2,250,172

Holy effing dung.

Considering that Zelda's the only game on the Wii and it's been bombing, the comparison is more like:

PS3: 280,977
Wii: 285,274

Not such a huge disparity.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh man...a 1:10 difference is too much for the PS3. Sony has to produce more PS3 first, then low this damn price and finally ship some Killer-App.

Perrin? Is that you, Perrin?

Dalthien

dirtmonkey37 said:
Where's LP?
u_neek said:
Well, it's obviously missing some games - Amored Core 4 for example..
Both games released the same week. AC4(PS3) was #26 and Lost Planet (X360) was #28 on Media Create that week. Unfortunately, MC only provides data for the Top 10, and Famitsu, which does provide data for the Top 30, only did a Top 20 chart for two weeks during the holidays, and only did a Top 30 for that 2-week period combined during that time because of the holidays. Neither game made the either or the Top 20 charts or the Top 30 combined chart for that 2-week period. So I don't have any accurate data for either game.

If it helps, Sinobi reported that both games did roughly 30k in their debut weeks, but if I don't know a game's sales to within 1,000 units, then I don't include it in the charts.

The PS3 tie ratio is higher than listed here, because AC4 is missing, as well as the sales data from the first week in January for the Top 3 games, but even so, the PS3 tie-ratio is still below 1.0, which has to be worrisome after almost two months on the market during the holiday shopping season.

Bo130

It's funny, when Every Party was announced, I thought it would do very well in Japan. I totally bombed :/. And I see Wing Island is actually the worst selling next-gen game to date, it seems...

Oh, and how did Super Monkey Ball do for GameCube? This one bombed as well...

Rock_Man

dirtmonkey37 said:
How come you didn't update the 360 one? And why didn't you update the PS3's tie ratio. I think it's higher by now :)

We haven't got any 360 sales data lately. The PS3 tie ratio is updated, but lower than the actual one as Dalthien pointed out.

ioi

Banned
Dalthien said:
I'm not about to start updating the chart with random guesses for each game. The purpose of this chart is to present the latest Famitsu/Media Create data that I have available to me.

No, because that would be silly.

It's better to put Genji sales at 9k because you know "exactly" (according to one estimate from one tracking firm) how much it sold that week rather than put it at the more realistic figure of 60k which it is likely to have sold by now, and not even bother with sales of Armored Core, Motorstorm etc and try to paint a more complete and realistic picture.

PS3 total software sales are more like 580k for a tie ratio of just under 1.

Ridge Racer 7 has sold more than Resistance and not far behind Gundam, Tamogotchi, Trauma Center etc have sold much more than that on Wii etc etc.

This thread is misleading.

ioi said:

It's better to put Genji sales at 9k because you know "exactly" (according to one estimate from one tracking firm) how much it sold that week rather than put it at the more realistic figure of 60k which it is likely to have sold by now, and not even bother with sales of Armored Core, Motorstorm etc and try to paint a more complete and realistic picture.

PS3 total software sales are more like 580k for a tie ratio of just under 1.

This thread is misleading.
This is old and boring. We all know that you represent one of the factions in the war on how best to count sales, but really at this point, you and everyone else who feels the need to state thier opinion on how best to count sales are beating a rotting horse carcass. We get it already. You think your way is best and can't help but to blather on about it whenever someone shows a differing opinion. Now shut up about it and get on with your life.

Jonnyram

Actually, Genji has sold closer to 9k than 60k, but whatever, ioi, you're entitled to post bs as much as anyone else.

ioi

Banned
bmf said:
This is old and boring. We all know that you represent one of the factions in the war on how best to count sales, but really at this point, you and everyone else who feels the need to state thier opinion on how best to count sales are beating a rotting horse carcass. We get it already. You think your way is best and can't help but to blather on about it whenever someone shows a differing opinion. Now shut up about it and get on with your life.

It's not a case of how to best count sales, but counting them full stop.

The figures in this thread are massively incomplete and cover a range of different time periods and so are misleading, as many people have found in complaining about PS3 tie ratios and so on.

You have Media Create positions down to 50 every week, most weeks you get sales number of odd games futher down the charts. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say that sales must be "at least" blah based on this. So if Genji was at #35 one week and the #38 game sold 4,300 copies then you can add at least 4,300 to the Genji total.

It would at least make the data a little more representitive than just including odd first week sales, and you can always update when more accurate data comes in. I'd imagine Famitsu / MC will publish one of their "top Wii / PS3 / X360" type lists sometime in the near future as with DS / PSP a few months after launch.

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Then make your own thread. :)

I give up trying to have a reasonable conversation with you people

So you're obviously all happy with the data as it is then? In your honest opinion, this is the best possible list that could be made of how well X360 / Wii / PS3 title have sold in Japan? You obviously think it's flawless and perfectly representitive.

Dalthien

ioi said:
Yeah - it would be silly. As you quoted yourself, the purpose of these charts is to keep a compilation of the latest Famitsu/Media Create data that we come across. Nothing more - nothing less. Filling them up with guesses and estimates sort of defeats that purpose, because then it is no longer a compilation of Famitsu/Media Create data.

It is clearly listed in the chart what tracking firm the data is from, along with the exact date that the data corresponds to. In addition, there is a note at the bottom of the charts which clearly explains that there is data missing from these charts, as well as the fact that the actual tie-ratio for each system is greater than that which is listed here. So I don't see why the thread is misleading. This is simply a convenient place for anyone who has an interest in quickly looking up the latest publically available data from Famitsu/MC for Japanese titles. I've never argued it to be anything else.

Anyway, if you have any Famitsu or MC data that is more recent than what is included in these charts, please feel free to share it, and I'll include it here and give you the credit for it. As for interpolating results from the charts, Rock_Man and I do that as well, but only if we can determine with certainty the LTD sales of a title to within 1,000 units. In that case, the title will be rounded off to the nearest thousand.

cvxfreak

ioi said:
I give up trying to have a reasonable conversation with you people

So you're obviously all happy with the data as it is then? In your honest opinion, this is the best possible list that could be made of how well X360 / Wii / PS3 title have sold in Japan? You obviously think it's flawless and perfectly representitive.

We're fine waiting for the half year charts, full year charts and occasional top 500 leaks, like we've done for the last half decade.

Holy crap . . . when the xbox 360 is beating the PS3 in Japan, you know Sony is screwing up bad. WTF SONY?!?! GIVE US SOME GAMES!

Jonnyram

I think most of the people here who want sales data want something that has a source and a specific timeline. I would also imagine that most of us don't expect to see semi-naked pics of women when visiting a site about sales figures. I'm sure that'd go down well in our equity research department :lol

Oh yeah, and your site lists Genji: Days of the Blade for PS3 as Genji. The original Genji for PS2 is nowhere in sight. What's that all about? I love your last 10 weeks of guesswork for the sales of this particular game too. What on earth made you think the sales had jumped so much?

DarkRage

The first 7 titles for X360 are titles developed by Japanese companies. Even some crappy titles like Rumble Roses sell more than PGR3, GRAP and other big titles from Western Countries.

But yes, some people say Japan is not a protective market and they don't care about if a title is from a foreign country as long as it is a good game... whatever.

Shame on that market... we shouldn't care a lot about that market, it is a different world.

I care about that market.

Because outside of FPS and sports games, Japanese devs make some of the best action, adventure, RPG, racing, simulation, fighting, and horror games period.

Whoever takes Japan will get a lot of support from Japanese 3rd parties, and almost by default, a good number of worthwhile titles in those said genres.

DarkRage

soundwave05 said:
Whoever takes Japan will get a lot of support from Japanese 3rd parties, and almost by default, a good number of worthwhile titles in those said genres.

Looking at the numbers we can see that the impact of Japanese market is not that big for those games that have good acceptance in Western countries. Yes, it is another factor, but it is not the most relevant. Figures in Europe and of course in USA are mucho more relevant for gaining support, even from japanese companies.

DarkRage said:
Looking at the numbers we can see that the impact of Japanese market is not that big for those games that have good acceptance in Western countries. Yes, it is another factor, but it is not the most relevant. Figures in Europe and of course in USA are mucho more relevant for gaining support, even from japanese companies.

Every system that has won Japan has gotten a lion's share of Japanese 3rd party support. I don't see this changing any time soon either, especailly with the Japanese market on the rebound.

I could also care less if something like Okami or Vagrant Story or Soul Calibur sells less than 50 Cent Bulletproof in the US. If those types of projects in the future go to Nintendo rather than Sony (to the victor go the spoils), then I as a gamer am more than satisified.

Winning or doing well in Japan = a library for the Wii more like the NES/SNES/GB/DS and less like the GC/N64. Which is fine by me.

theBishop

Banned
the girl next door said:
so 2/5 of PS3 owners didn't get a game with it? what are they using it for? the internet??? *is baffled*

when PS2 launched, there were all kinds of reports that Japanese consoles were being used as DVD players.

Blu-Ray FTW?

ziran

soundwave05 said:
Every system that has won Japan has gotten a lion's share of Japanese 3rd party support. I don't see this changing any time soon either, especailly with the Japanese market on the rebound.
i agree. japanese development is still very important, and as capcom has shown a japanese developer can make a product predominatly for a non-japanese market, whereas i can't think of any non-japanese developers who have done the reverse.

also, i think whichever system ends up with the largest japanese support will be the biggest selling console this generation.

theBishop said:
when PS2 launched, there were all kinds of reports that Japanese consoles were being used as DVD players.

Blu-Ray FTW?
i doubt br is that big a factor, besides we're talking about really bad sw sales. ps3's total sw sales in japan are nothing short of terrible. ps3 cannot become a machine for only major games, it needs to be able to shift a decent amount of units for a whole range of third party sw. sony has a lot of work ahead of them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Blu-Ray FTW?

you'd need stores to be actually bothering to stock Bluray disks for that to happen - two or three are and it's an incredibly token effort. Baring a total relaunch of Bluray and HDDVD , both formats are pretty much dead in Japan.

It's better to put Genji sales at 9k because you know "exactly" (according to one estimate from one tracking firm) how much it sold that week rather than put it at the more realistic figure of 60k which it is likely to have sold by now

... joke post... ?

The problem with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (and even the PS3 to an extent) is in Japan, HDTV penetration also is not that big.

The odd software attach ratio for the PS3 might be better explained by some people replacing their PS2 with the PS3 but staying with PS2 software for now.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DCharlie said:
you'd need stores to be actually bothering to stock Bluray disks for that to happen - two or three are and it's an incredibly token effort. Baring a total relaunch of Bluray and HDDVD , both formats are pretty much dead in Japan.

... joke post... ?
There is no doubt in my mind that both formats will fail. Maybe one (most likely bluray) will become the next laser disc with a cult following, but none will be a mainstream success.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The problem with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD (and even the PS3 to an extent) is in Japan, HDTV penetration also is not that big.

huh? it's doing pretty well - the thing is with digital signals already available, HD content has been available for years.

With DVDs FINALLY at a reasonable price, the jump back up to 4980 per Bluray/HDDVD is just probably too much - and the selection right now is, quite frankly, crap.

D.Lo

Good thread Dalthien, I appreciate it. IMO it's good that you only report properly reported data (and quote all sources), rather then include a bunch of guesses, formula estimates and baseless speculation.

116,000 Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire) (Bandai) (11/11/06) – rounded off through Jan 14/07 (MC)

Holy crap people are actually buying this turd? While Armored Core 4 bombed? Jpn is ****ed up.

Mobile Suit Gundamn needs to be banned! What a horrible piece of shit. MotorStorm, F1 bombed as well?

Blimblim said:
There is no doubt in my mind that both formats will fail. Maybe one (most likely bluray) will become the next laser disc with a cult following, but none will be a mainstream success.
my feelings exactly. the best they can do is laser disc levels, but there's nothing wrong with that. laserdisc was a decent success with a good library of titles that satisfied the AV enthusiast market until something came along that satisfied everyone.

maybe if they started releasing tv shows in SD on blu-ray or hd-dvd then people would be like 'wow, a whole series on one disc!' but frankly i don't see that happening.

actually, at this point, i wouldn't be surprised if blu-ray becomes the main format in america and hd-dvd the main format in europe (where studio support is nowhere near as obviously one sided).

but lets not get into that here :)

interesting charts for sure. it's pretty amazing how quickly the wii has taken the lead over in japan, and it's going to be interesting in a month or two when we know for sure if the slow ps3 sales are down to shortages or down to low demand.

Here are the latest Japanese console hardware sales for the week of Jan 8 - 14:

Platform Sales Total
Wii 93,708 289,039
DS Lite 89,287 434,165
PSP 48,804 166,990
PlayStation 3 25,531 95,475
PlayStation 2 22,663 74,700
Xbox 360 9,035 27,270
GB Micro 1,959 5,270
GBA SP 1,547 3,911
GameCube 611 1,869
GBA 79 136
Nintendo DS 41 116

why so low?

clashfan

Blue Dragon at around 120K is pretty good. I wonder if it can reach the MS goal of 200K? I know Sakaguchi was hoping to sell 100K.

Top Bottom