• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese GAFers: Are you standing in line for Wii? At all? Please?

Ashodin

There's really no latenight thread for the Japanese GAFers (or, early morning, as you might put it), so let's start one! If you're heading out to wait in line, or just going to try to pick one up tomorrow at the store ( :lol ), post on in.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i have a preorder (and a US Wii) so i'm golden.

Strangely , several non-gamers at work have emailed today asking where the best place is to go to queue...

it's going to be absolute mayhem tomorrow

Juice

DCharlie said:

Strangely , several non-gamers at work have emailed today asking where the best place is to go to queue...

Yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if the American media picked up on it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i might go take some snaps - i just hope there is a seperate queue for component cables :(

Troidal

DCharlie said:
i might go take some snaps - i just hope there is a seperate queue for component cables :(

But, component cables delayed to Dec. 9th now. So no need to line up man.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`ll probably take photos, but I have a US Wii waiting for me for christmas.

I have some photos of the US lines in Colorado (taken by my family living in the states) that I`m going to post on www.hdrlying.com in a bit.

Devo

If the NA launch is any indication of the hype... then in Japan this is going to be... indescribable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Devo said:
If the NA launch is any indication of the hype... then in Japan this is going to be... indescribable.

Shit`s going to get crazy. There`s a Toys R Us near my office that I`m going to drop by. I work in a country side town, so photos may not be as nutty as in the city, but I`m sure they`ll still be photo worthy.

Don't worry, DCharlie, it's only the D-video cable that's been delayed to the 9th. RGB component cables *will* be available here tomorrow.

(First post - yay!)

thetrin

KyotoDaisuki said:
Don't worry, DCharlie, it's only the D-video cable that's been delayed to the 9th. RGB component cables *will* be available here tomorrow.

(First post - yay!)

That sucks for me. My TV has D-Terminal.

(Kyoto love, eh? Do you live in Kansai?)

I'm pretty sure, Trin, you can get a simple adapter that will fudge those three component ends into one D-Video jack. Probably Y500 from Midori. I'll have to check.

(Kyoto-dweller, aye.)

thetrin

KyotoDaisuki said:
I'm pretty sure, Trin, you can get a simple adapter that will fudge those three component ends into one D-Video jack. Probably Y500 from Midori. I'll have to check.

(Kyoto-dweller, aye.)

I`m sure I can find one at Ca Den or Yodobashi Umeda. It`s not a huge deal. I don`t have my Wii until christmas, anyway.

(I live between Kobe and Osaka, btw. I`ll buy you a drink some time)

thetrin

Where`s tetsuoxb? He`s the only gaffer with good access to kansai city lineups. If only I could take the day off work tomorrow. :(

I think he's in Takatsuki, between Kyoto and Osaka.

Me and the missus will be at Umeda Yodoabshi tonight. Anyone else plan to be there?

thetrin

KyotoDaisuki said:
I think he's in Takatsuki, between Kyoto and Osaka.

Me and the missus will be at Umeda Yodoabshi tonight. Anyone else plan to be there?

Oh, I know where he lives. I just mean, where is he right now? :p

I`d love to be at Yodobashi, but I have work tomorrow. :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I reserved a Wii back in March or April, so I'm number two on the list. Getting one will not be a problem. Also today at work (school), I've had kids asking me if I'm lining up to try to get one. Only one kid asked me about the PS3 at launch; it's obvious more kids want the Wii than the PS3, and that alone is going to make tomorrow absolute chaos I think...glad I'm not lining up.

So after flip-flopping over buying a Wii for a while, and then deciding not to get one since I used the money to buy a new HDTV instead, I went to the game store a few days ago, armed with 25 games. I figured at the least I'd get around 2man, but I ended up getting 4man!!! o_O So I am definitely getting one tomorrow. :) I then went and reserved even more stuff...probably got at least 65,000 yen worth of stuff reserved right now...doubt I'm going to get it all, but I want to spend extra on a second controller and nunchuk, as I get the feeling those are going to be hard to find for a while. I am currently down for:

-Wii System
-Odoru Made In Wario (hope this is good)
-Zelda TP (guess I'll be practing my Japanese with this one...hope it plays well too)
-Red Steel (hope it's DECENT)
-Swing Golf Pangya (for some reason, this is my most-anticipated game)
-Wii Sports (wasn't going to get this, but it sounds good for my gf and friends)
-Hajimete No Wii w/ Wiimote (why not get some more mini game crap with the controller?)
-Wii Nunchuk

There's also a Moneyball-like game from Taito (IIRC) that looked pretty nice, but I'll wait for reviews first. Skipping Necronesia; I get the feeling it's going to be crap. I dunno if I'll buy any Wii points for the store.

And then I'm going to pick up a used GC controller and PN03, possibly Beach Spikers, Naruto 4, and MGS Twin Snakes (if I can find it) too, although the GC stuff takes a back seat to the Wii stuff. Heavily considering grabbing some more stuff and selling it to lower the price even more...as it stands right now, I'm basically paying for the system and getting most everything else with the money I got from selling the games off...not bad.

Does the Wii need Game Cube memory cards to save GC games?

TheTrin said:
That sucks for me. My TV has D-Terminal.

Mine too. I take it that the Wii doesn't use older Nintendo TV cables? Ah well, shit picture for a week. GOOD JOB NINTENDO

CalTopDog

This will be my first console launch in Tokyo, and I'm not sure what the best course of action should be. I should have made a reservation, but I didn't. I have a local video game store that will be getting some units near my place, but I don't know if lining up at Yodobashi or Bic Camera in Shinjuku will be a better choice. Any advice?

Lyte Edge

CalTopDog said:
This will be my first console launch in Tokyo, and I'm not sure what the best course of action should be. I should have made a reservation, but I didn't. I have a local video game store that will be getting some units near my place, but I don't know if lining up at Yodobashi or Bic Camera in Shinjuku will be a better choice. Any advice?

Go and ask the local store if they took reserves. If they did, waiting there is pointless. You're going to have to line up if you want one tomorrow. You might want to put your name down at a store that takes reservations anyway; if the Wii ends up being like the DS Lite and you don't get one in line, you'll be glad you did. DS Lites STILL sell out around where I am every week. It's insane.

CalTopDog

I have two game stores nearby my place, and one of them said they won't be selling them tomorrow because they've already fulfilled their reservations. I'll put my name down anyway just in case people don't show up.

At the other game store near my place, they have signs saying they won't be taking reservations, but they will start selling them at 9AM tomorrow morning. Right after work, I'm going to check if a line has formed already, and if not, I'll monitor it every couple hours. But if there's already a queue, I think I may head down to Shinjuku and stand in line all night for one near Yodobashi or Bic Camera. I don't even own a TV, but I've already been given the okay to set up the Wii at work on our LCD here. I can't wait.

rareside

I'm heading to DeoDeo near my house around 4pm today to check it out. I know they'll get only 30 units in. It's gonna be a cold night...

Luckily some friends will join and we'll get some Mario Kart DS goin on for a good portion of the night.

This is the first time I've ever waited in line for a home console (I waited in line 5 hours for a DS Lite last March).

Jonnyram

Lyte Edge said:
There's also a Moneyball-like game from Taito (IIRC) that looked pretty nice, but I'll wait for reviews first.
You mean Kororinpa from Hudson? I preordered that too and it got shitty reviews in Famitsu last week, 4s, 5s and 6s, so I dunno if I'm gonna get it or not. Same for Wing Island. But I know Famitsu is pretty harsh on Hudson due to lack of ads, so I might just go for it so at least one gaffer can report on their cruddiness.

Does the Wii need Game Cube memory cards to save GC games?
I asked before the US machine came out and people said it did, and I haven't read otherwise since then. I got the one from Club Nintendo because the colours match the Wii :)

tetsuoxb

There is 7 people in line at Yodo right now according to 2ch.

Again, I've got a preorder so I don't care too much. I hear that they'll have perhaps 2500 units.

obsolete

Bic has been taking preorders for those peeps with bic+suica+view cards. Both Bics in Shibuya are doing a lottery system for the rest of us. Hopefully they'll have more than 45-50 wiis (like they did for PS3s).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
KyotoDaisuki said:
Woah! Already people in line at Yodo, eh? Better get the next Rapid Express to Osaka!

You in 京都?

john tv

Yeah, DC, component cables are GO for tomorrow. It's D-cables that won't be available until next Saturday.

I preordered component so it's all good. No more shitty SDTV Zelda for me!

Jake.

DCharlie said:

maybe i'm retarded but why would you get both? especially since you live in japan anyway.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
KyotoDaisuki said:
English Zelda, Jake, would be one pretty good reason.
and the fact that he buys everything at least twice...

john tv

Jake XXX said:
yeah but if he lives in japan i'm presuming he can read japanese.
I got two as well. Best of both worlds! Zelda hits US first? Buy the US version! Wario Ware hits Japan first? Buy the Japan version!

Japan Virtual Console shits all over US Virtual Console? No problem!

etc. etc.

Lyte Edge

KyotoDaisuki said:
English Zelda, Jake, would be one pretty good reason.

If I find that I really want to play Zelda in English so badly, I'll just get the English Game Cube version and a freeloader instead.

But hey, two Wiis is the same price as one 20gb PS3!

thetrin

Jake XXX said:
yeah but if he lives in japan i'm presuming he can read japanese.

I`m eventually getting both, as well. Some games just don`t hit America, but when they hit America first, I can play them in English. Best of both worlds. :)

DENKO

I am a Tokyo living by the Japanese.
The participant such as game discussion bulletin boards of Japan is inspecting
NeoGAF well. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
DENKO said:
I am a Tokyo living by the Japanese.
The participant such as game discussion bulletin boards of Japan is inspecting
NeoGAF well. :)

2chのスパイ?

thetrin

sp0rsk said:
2chのスパイ?

He has to be. GET HIM!

KyotoDaisuki said:
Also, that's not necessarily a good presumption to make when talking with people who live in Japan.

haha, so true.

Top Bottom