• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

WACK auditions day 2:

Team GANG PARADE came in #1 overall, stole "gives" from BiS. this drew huge laughs.

the three applicants up for elimination are:

アユナ・C
テラヤマユフ
ワキカセユリカ

C8FiGcxVMAA7thw.jpg:large

however, whichever one is able to memorize pi to the furthest decimal point by tomorrow morning will be saved.

BiS decided to eat dinner in swimsuits, but this still didn't save them from coming in last place.

first and second place in the morning marathon were Yua from GanPara (not surprising) and Atsuko from BiSH (very surprising). a bunch of youngsters got beat by the oldest person there. (actually I'm not sure if she or Pour Lui is the oldest, it's close).

Everybody was given a general knowledge test as well, but I don't think the scores have been tabulated yet.

Larsa

rip stump ;_;

WACK day 3:

My two favorites, Gyan and Third Summer are out. Of today's five chosen, the one who's able to gain the most weight by tomorrow will be given another chance.

I want this Hirano meme to end, she's getting by purely by being terrible at everything.

The BiS team came in first and stole Orchestra from BiSH. No one from either side seems happy about this. Curious if they'll actually go through with this.

--

https://twitter.com/kamattechaninfo/status/847377716684783616

Kamattechan's Goodbye AOYAMA might be referring to them leaving Warner? I wouldn't be too upset by this.

akileese

So it looks like after nearly 12 months Envy are back? Tetsuya is still not with the band anymore, but it looks like maybe Nobu is doing vocals. They've got a few shows announced, moved their website, and have new merchandise. Let's see where this goes!

New Koutei Camera Gal track is awesome. Their album is coming out 4/26 if it wasn't already mentioned.

rip stump ;_;

WACK day 3:

My two favorites, Gyan and Third Summer are out. Of today's five chosen, the one who's able to gain the most weight by tomorrow will be given another chance.

I want this Hirano meme to end, she's getting by purely by being terrible at everything.

The BiS team came in first and stole Orchestra from BiSH. No one from either side seems happy about this. Curious if they'll actually go through with this.

What's the point of the competition if the eliminations are going to be seemingly arbitrary? Wasn't Michihayashi Rio one of the highest ranked candidates?

I think Pour Lui stole Orchestra as a bargaining chip more than anything else. Probably the most BiS-like thing she's done since reforming the group.

Larsa

What's the point of the competition if the eliminations are going to be seemingly arbitrary? Wasn't Michihayashi Rio one of the highest ranked candidates?

I think Pour Lui stole Orchestra as a bargaining chip more than anything else. Probably the most BiS-like thing she's done since reforming the group.

It's a combination of the viewer votes and staff votes (supposedly...) Ototoy have the full list of viewer votes. Michihayashi and Gyan were #4 and #5 so today's eliminations felt pretty off.

https://twitter.com/LumpenRecords/status/847447704393236482
You too can relive the awkward tension when they chose Orchestra.

edit: Gyan Maika gained 3.4kg overnight and lives to fight another day.

Kurita

New DADARAY
https://youtu.be/rNoHpWcKXlo
Give me that album now. That'll do while Gesu are away

---
My ears are still ringing, my body hurts, I can barely talk. Yuuup, I went to a SiM concert alright.
Last night's show at Zepp Tokyo was amazing. I knew they were good live but goddamn. The most exhausting live I've been to in my life. I was right in the middle everybody moshing and crowdsurfing. Sooooooo fun. The band's on-stage presence is second to none, MAH is such a charismatic vocalist. Setlist was perfect, I went crazy when they did EXiSTENCE and Get up,Get up. SiM has a lot of songs where the crowd can shout to their heart's content so it's just a blast to do so with everybody. They really are the best hardcore band around.
They also played a dope new song to end the show. Also two dudes said hi to me in the train after the live, guess that means I really went all out lol

Larsa

https://twitter.com/kamattechaninfo/status/847377716684783616

Kamattechan's Goodbye AOYAMA might be referring to them leaving Warner? I wouldn't be too upset by this.

https://twitter.com/0u0HaNako666/status/847825706365014017
This turned out to be true. Unless it's april's fools, they are now on PONY CANYON, same label as Misako's Banmon. Warner sucks so I'm interested to see where this will lead.

also the other song of the single might be an anime theme? somebody found a 15 sec sample of it too. I am so happy that both songs seem to be embracing the "holy" sound of Shinsei Kamattechan.
--

[MV] CY8ER『手と手』

I Was Born - Euramerica

The WACK auditions are an utter trainwreck and I love/hate it. Even the trashiest reality show contests have some sort of logical framework to hang their plot twists from, but last night's four eliminations included the #1 and #3 contestants as ranked by the audience, essentially sending the message that the whole competition is kind of a farce and things are simply going to proceed either according to unseen plans already set in place or by the unstoppable forces of chaos that arise from Watanabe and Pour Lui working together. It's bringing back some of those familiar feelings of what it was like being a fan of the original BiS as their story happened, knowing you're being trolled but feeling invested in the outcome anyways. Like that time they first signed to avex and developed a whole campaign around the idea that they would become much more conventional idols, and a sobbing Watanabe announced he would resign as manager because he wasn't a good fit for their new direction. His crocodile tears were quite convincing back then, as they are now for anyone who's not used to them, and I remember opinion being pretty divided over whether or not it was just another stunt (spoiler: it was). Anyways, I'll be watching to see what sort of surprises April Fools Day brings to this competition.

I kind of wish Yunomi worked more as an arranger for other people's songs because as a composer he just keeps repeating himself over and over. Even so, I'm not tired of this stuff yet.

Larsa

The WACK auditions are an utter trainwreck and I love/hate it. Even the trashiest reality show contests have some sort of logical framework to hang their plot twists from, but last night's four eliminations included the #1 and #3 contestants as ranked by the audience, essentially sending the message that the whole competition is kind of a farce and things are simply going to proceed either according to unseen plans already set in place or by the unstoppable forces of chaos that arise from Watanabe and Pour Lui working together. It's bringing back some of those familiar feelings of what it was like being a fan of the original BiS as their story happened, knowing you're being trolled but feeling invested in the outcome anyways. Like that time they first signed to avex and developed a whole campaign around the idea that they would become much more conventional idols, and a sobbing Watanabe announced he would resign as manager because he wasn't a good fit for their new direction. His crocodile tears were quite convincing back then, as they are now for anyone who's not used to them, and I remember opinion being pretty divided over whether or not it was just another stunt (spoiler: it was). Anyways, I'll be watching to see what sort of surprises April Fools Day brings to this competition.
Yeah, a lot of my investment in this mess was killed in the last eliminations. It feels like all the girls with any kind of memorable personality have been sent home. The viewer points in the BiS audtiions at least seemed to matter somewhat, since they guaranteed Go Zeela a spot Of the remaining girls I guess I'm rooting for Ooshoji, Momoko and Gamiya. Anyone but Hirano please god.

Watanabe's april's fools where Yuyu was told by the staff to wake him up in his room, only to find him in bed with one of the female staff was pretty funny though.

Slowdive

Banned
The new Ryuichi Sakamoto album is really good, wasn't expecting David Sylvian to be on it.

New Cornelius album out June 28th.

I'm 99% sure this isn't an April fools, (but knowing Yoshiki there's a good chance this won't be the release date anyway) new X Japan album finally out June 30th. Was originally supposed to be out in 2011.

The WACK auditions are an utter trainwreck.

That's an understatement! Hirano needs to go, I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it all the way though.

Jake.

The new Ryuichi Sakamoto album is really good, wasn't expecting David Sylvian to be on it.

New Cornelius album out June 28th.

I'm 99% sure this isn't an April fools, (but knowing Yoshiki there's a good chance this won't be the release date anyway) new X Japan album finally out June 30th. Was originally supposed to be out in 2011.

That's an understatement! Hirano needs to go, I wouldn't be surprised if she makes it all the way though.

what's the new cornelius LP called? label?

Kurita

https://twitter.com/0u0HaNako666/status/847825706365014017
This turned out to be true. Unless it's april's fools, they are now on PONY CANYON, same label as Misako's Banmon. Warner sucks so I'm interested to see where this will lead.

also the other song of the single might be an anime theme? somebody found a 15 sec sample of it too. I am so happy that both songs seem to be embracing the "holy" sound of Shinsei Kamattechan.

--

[MV] CY8ER『手と手』
It's the ending theme for the new Attack on Titan season. Looks like the author is a big fan

Also they didn't leave Warner/unBORDE, Pony Canyon is like borrowing them? Lol

Larsa

It's the ending theme for the new Attack on Titan season. Looks like the author is a big fan

Also they didn't leave Warner/unBORDE, Pony Canyon is like borrowing them? Lol

Yeah! I guess it kinda was an April fool's joke, but still true. I don't care about Attack on Titan, but I always respect the anime hustle. The Denpa Onna OP was what introduced me to them after all (I think it was by people on this forum talking about how bad it was lmao), Never did watch that show either.

edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5gyhw6_attack-on-titan-s2-ed_tv
I love it!

Seems like Watanabe's April Fool's prank was that he didn't play any pranks and in fact passed all the remaining eight candidates. It will be announced at the showcase how they fit into existing groups or whether there will be a new group (my guess is the latter). It may take a lot of time and hard work but Hirano will prove the naysayers wrong and become the nation's top idol. Also, Orchestra is a Gang Parade song now.

Namie Amuro has a new song called "Just You and I" that will be a tie-in. She also will be celebrating her 25th with a special live in Okinawa. Maybe some other things as well?!

Side note- She's going to be 40 this year!?!?!?!?! Ugh the genes of that women, why can't it rub off on me!

Kurita

New MV by The Mirraz (they played it when I saw them last month, was looking forward to it)
https://youtu.be/xrSatE_HBaw

Their new album is fantastic. They're doing a garage-ish sound now, after 2 years of EDM infused rock, which gave us some amazing songs! そして、愛してる, 鳴呼。今思いつくのはそれだけだ。, VAM!VAM!VAMPIRE!, +81(0)にて... great stuff all around. Bon Appétit released two months ago was damn good. Kinda hope they'll still do some EDM tracks in the future.

neshcom

Banned
Namie Amuro has a new song called "Just You and I" that will be a tie-in. She also will be celebrating her 25th with a special live in Okinawa. Maybe some other things as well?!

Side note- She's going to be 40 this year!?!?!?!?! Ugh the genes of that women, why can't it rub off on me!
God I hope that 25th show works out. It's a goddamned shame the 20th show was rained out by the monsoon.

Larsa

Well the WACK auditions ended in a pretty boring and lame way. Gang Parade gave BiSH Orchestra back since Watanabe seems afraid to mess with them, Ooshoji and Hirano (...) will be joining BiS, no new members for BiSH or Gang Parade. Gamiya Saki and Momoko Gumi inc. will be part of a new group in cooperation with Avex tentatively called "Proejct aW.". There will be further audtitions for more members for this group, since I guess that's the only way Watanabe gets it up anymore. The 4 remaining candidates were ignorered, even though they were told earlier that they had passed.

Oh and Saki from Gang Parade and Aya from BiS will be trading places from May to October for some reason. I guess it's just that time of year where they decide to torment Saki.

I really hope she's able to perform the 25th anniversary concerts this time. I can't believe it's been 5 years since then! time flew https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjMC63PYN4

Was also watching old Namie performances, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88wQ8iSff0 how gorgeous can someone be?

Yeah I watched the stream last night and was struck by how much it felt like the outcome was predetermined from the start. I felt the worst for the four girls who were strung along for an extra day. If they were let in to the Project aW group I would be fine with how things turned out, but it's apparent that avex has their own plans since the two chosen were probably the two most conventional idol types of the whole competition. Don't think I'll be interested. It was also pretty lame how Orchestra was simply given back before even a day had passed. I figured there would be some sort of scripted competition for BiSH to win it back but avex probably put their foot down. The member swap seems pointless but it's only temporary and at least Kika gets to be in the same group as Saki for a while.

God I hope that 25th show works out. It's a goddamned shame the 20th show was rained out by the monsoon.

I remember really looking forward to that concert too. Such a shame indeed. Hopefully this year the show will go on!

I really hope she's able to perform the 25th anniversary concerts this time. I can't believe it's been 5 years since then! time flew https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjMC63PYN4

Was also watching old Namie performances, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88wQ8iSff0 how gorgeous can someone be?

Time really has flew! With all these years passing, I'm more and more nervous because I know she must be thinking about retiring soon and I really would love to see her live just once. Plus, I don't know what I'll do without my yearly Namie tours to watch!
I'm so jealous of her, she's been very blessed with youthfulness!

So apparently the limited 3-disc version of the new tricot album went up on Tower a few hours ago, but I can't figure out if it's already sold out or not? Google translate just says "no online shop available."

Superfly's 10th Anniversary Greatest Hits album is releasing today. My copy is coming soon I hope and from what I've seen looks soooooo nice! I've always adored Superfly's limited edition packaging.

Zoe

I lucked out cause I actually bought tickets but ended up not making the trip. Still lost some money due to changes in the exchange rate, but it wasn't a big loss ^^;

Jintor

Finally listening to the new charisma dot com album.

I think it's dope even if the ratio of songs made entirely out of simmering rage is lower than usual

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, that's the new song Kyary performed when I saw her in Osaka a few weeks ago. It sounds even worse than when I saw it live. I remember being very confused with the bagpipes came on at the show.

Kurita

Hooooold up, Creepy Nuts is on the Asian Kung-Fu Generation Tribute album!?
Hell yesss!
The whole album is amazing, didn't expect to love it that.
Highlights are definitely Rewrite by Creepy Nuts, Solanin by yonige and Kimi to iu Hana by KANA-BOON.
Every act managed to showcase what's good about the originals while making it their own. Definitely can feel that they all love and respect Ajikan

So apparently the limited 3-disc version of the new tricot album went up on Tower a few hours ago, but I can't figure out if it's already sold out or not? Google translate just says "no online shop available."
it's an in-store Tower exclusive, and your copy must also be spoken for by phone. So unless you're in Japan or have a hookup there, you'll need to use a service like Accio Tokyo to order one as I did. And yes, it's very expensive to go that route!

Top Bottom