• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
Yay! Guest list again, so I'm gonna see Nothing's Carved in Stone, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, and The Back Horn next week. I'm excited!!

Aizo

Banned
Tricot tonight for me. I'll probably grab a tour shirt as long as the prices aren't "Japanese expensive"
I truly hope they aren't for your sake. I actually own 3 tricot shirts, and I don't like the material used for any of them. haha.

I bought a Nothing's Carved in Stone shirt that was expensive, and the collar started to rip within a few months. You'd expect quality from artists, considering the prices, but it's really all over the place. I've actually had better luck with Indie artists in that regard—cheaper shirts with higher quality. Odd.

ikuze

Tricot tonight for me. I'll probably grab a tour shirt as long as the prices aren't "Japanese expensive"

Be sure and ask them to sign it for you, if you are into that stuff. They are pretty cool about that. Got a signed T-Shirt from them, too. :)

Edit: Can you report afterwards, what kind of merchandise they are selling this time? Europe always seems to fall short on merchandise of japanese artists...

faridmon

I truly hope they aren't for your sake. I actually own 3 tricot shirts, and I don't like the material used for any of them. haha.

I bought a Nothing's Carved in Stone shirt that was expensive, and the collar started to rip within a few months. You'd expect quality from artists, considering the prices, but it's really all over the place. I've actually had better luck with Indie artists in that regard—cheaper shirts with higher quality. Odd.

While its not comparable since they focus mainly on international market, Merch for Kikagaku Moyo and Taffy were quite cheap actually when they came to my town to play live. Taffy especially was selling their vinyl for £10 (which is nuts!!!!) £8 for CD and 15 for T-shirts. Kikagaku Moyo was not too dissimilar to other non-British bands' price when it came to their Vinyl and Tees.

I wish Tricot came to Birmingham. Them and Lite are playing at fucking Leicester which is ridiculous since its way smaller town.

PillarEN

Yes yes. I will report back. I'm pretty excited myself even though some of you might remember I wasn't that into the band. Still haven't listened to the new album. I should probably do that before the show lol.

PillarEN

Alright alright alright. First off great show. Funny band too. At one point the lead guitarist had a to leave for several minutes. I'm pretty sure she couldn't find her cappo for her guitar haha. So the lead singer was trying to talk to us. I learned that she went to the Momo cafe here in Prague. The whole band I guess as they were talking about what food they had. Now at the cafe is also some Miyazaki film stuff. Like Totoro plushies and stuff. Well turns out she never saw My Neighbor Totoro! Give up your citizenship girl.

As for merch. This is close to the end of their Euro tour so I think most merch was gone., Only the main shirt and vinyl of 3. The shirts no longer came in M though which is what I needed. Only S, L, and basement dweller NEET size. :(
So I didn't grab any merch.

Oh and here is the set list.
Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GJ14y1M.jpg[/IMG]

Alright alright alright. First off great show. Funny band too. At one point the lead guitarist had a to leave for several minutes. I'm pretty sure she couldn't find her cappo for her guitar haha. So the lead singer was trying to talk to us. I learned that she went to the Momo cafe here in Prague. The whole band I guess as they were talking about what food they had. Now at the cafe is also some Miyazaki film stuff. Like Totoro plushies and stuff. Well turns out she never saw My Neighbor Totoro! Give up your citizenship girl.

As for merch. This is close to the end of their Euro tour so I think most merch was gone., Only the main shirt and vinyl of 3. The shirts no longer came in M though which is what I needed. Only S, L, and basement dweller NEET size. :(
So I didn't grab any merch.

Oh and here is the set list.
Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GJ14y1M.jpg[/IMG]

When they came to Toronto, nearly all the vinyl they brought with them sold within minutes of the end of the show, and they had to turn away a ton of people. So you were probably screwed no matter what!

In my head canon, this is a companion video to the Spring of Life video where they are hooked up to the machines and this is the simulation they are in beforehand.

IXu4tz2.png

That is quite the concept.

Regarding their best video – Fushizen na Girl, Natural ni Koishite, VOICE are all up there.

----

Namie Amuro has announced a new song "Showtime" and launched a website counting down to her 25th Anniversary http://namieamuro.jp/25thanniversary/

llehuty

Kurita

東京カランコロン「どういたしまして」
Their input over the past two years has been on point. Really excited for that new album.

フレデリック Mini Album「TOGENKYO」
Trailer for their new mini album, some interesting stuff in there! They never disappoint anyways.

Mrs. GREEN APPLE - WanteD! WanteD!
A killer upbeat tune, quite different from their previous single which was a ballad. They really went all in with the "party people" vibe though lol. I mean they're 5 cool youngsters so hey.

Kurita

Damn, Keyakizaka46's live version of 不協和音 looks amazing
https://youtu.be/twQq645Jf_M?t=934
Fighting, throwing ashes (or whatever? lol) at each other. Then raising from the dead. Chills lol
Hirate's "Boku wa ya da"
n6DZ7.png
n6DZ7.png

Really looking forward to a new single, they're just so fucking cool.
Hope they keep their emo vibe lol

broz0rs

Fighting, throwing ashes (or whatever? lol) at each other. Then raising from the dead. Chills lol
Hirate's "Boku wa ya da"
n6DZ7.png
n6DZ7.png

hmmm.. here's a no frills performance of Fukyouwaon that's just powerful to say the least lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7NT_SQrlvI

vanty

Just noticed yesterday that my favourite 48Ger Tanaka Natsumi joined both twitter and instagram a couple weeks ago (in addition to a ton of other HKT and NGT members), and then looking through her tweets also noticed that AKB48's YouTube channel is no longer blocked in countries with YouTube Red. I think all the other sister groups are still blocked except NMB which was always accessible anyway.

AdamT

Possibly controversial opinion time:

Perfume solo projects or producer change when? I would love to see them branch out a bit more. The last album and singles haven't been exciting me like their older stuff. I think I've spun Tokyo Girl and If You Wanna maybe 10 times and kinda forgotten about them. I admire the sound of If You Wanna, but it's far too bland for my tastes.

I keep hoping they'll pull a Utada and take a break (not several years!) and come back with a really solid album that touches on their older material while still providing something fresh and mature. That's why I liked when they gave TV a shot, because it was something different and a break from churning out singles that miss.

I honestly think the weak point is Nakata. He's been lucky with early Perfume and KPP as well. However, if he'd stop producing tracks on his laptop and let someone else in an actual studio contribute, we may see better material from them before their time in the spotlight is up.

Sorry for the rant. I had to fire a contract engineer at work today that kept missing deadlines and budget issues and wanted to vent by writing about Perfume that I've been feeling for a while but haven't put into words. I'm curious if any else feels similar?

PillarEN

No I get it. I think what bums me out is that I'm a Nakata fan. Guy delivered for me since the highs of Capsule like Fruits Clipper (man I love the song Dreamin Dreamin). And then he pretty much made KPP what she is in music form. Her appearance sort of reignited my interest in Jpop.

Kurita

Not really, current Perfume is my jam.
Cosmic Explorer is my 3rd favorite album after Level3 and JPN.
Loved the singles released this year.

llehuty

I can understand people not liking some of their singles, since they have a really wide variety of sounds and style, but they have yet to release a bad album IMO. I'm not worried about their output.

AdamT

Thanks for the opinions, everyone.

After thinking on it some more, I do agree it's not them who needs a break. I may have been stretching for a resolution to a problem I created and didn't think that through. Nakata has made some really good songs for them, and it's okay to not like one or two.

Comparing physical sales, they're still selling around the same 50-60 thousand CDs the last few singles and filling seats in tours, so they're not exactly on a decline. I bet digital is doing phenomenally as of late for them, too.

So, some of my fears of a decline is premature. Thinking back to previous singles and albums, there's always that one song or two I skip, either because the song isn't that great or edges on a genre I'm not too big on or in the mood for, so this isn't exactly new. I really enjoy Cosmic Explorer(and still do!), so I shouldn't worry so much.

At the end of the day, I still love Perfume and I'm happy they're still making music.

Kansoku

What disappoints me about the whole Nakata / Perfume thing is that I see a potential for greatness, but lately he hasn't been delivering on this potential IMO. In the case of Perfume (and KPP too for the matter) I constantly see some nice ideas here and there, but they're surrounded with things I don't like, and they kill my enjoyment of the whole. For example, I really like Sweet Refrain, but the album version is awful to me. The changes are small but still strong enough to overshadow all the good things about the song.

And it all reminds me of the interviews he did about CAPSULE's CAPS LOCK. I wish he could do this with Perfume, having a time where he doesn't have to cara about commercials of live shows or whatever. To do a Perfume album without outside pressure, without expectations. It seems that 2013 was the last time he could be free of that, as almost everything that came after wasn't as good IMO (almost, because I do like Pika Pika Fantajin =P)

Possibly controversial opinion time:

Perfume solo projects or producer change when? I would love to see them branch out a bit more. The last album and singles haven't been exciting me like their older stuff. I think I've spun Tokyo Girl and If You Wanna maybe 10 times and kinda forgotten about them. I admire the sound of If You Wanna, but it's far too bland for my tastes.

I keep hoping they'll pull a Utada and take a break (not several years!) and come back with a really solid album that touches on their older material while still providing something fresh and mature. That's why I liked when they gave TV a shot, because it was something different and a break from churning out singles that miss.

I honestly think the weak point is Nakata. He's been lucky with early Perfume and KPP as well. However, if he'd stop producing tracks on his laptop and let someone else in an actual studio contribute, we may see better material from them before their time in the spotlight is up.

Sorry for the rant. I had to fire a contract engineer at work today that kept missing deadlines and budget issues and wanted to vent by writing about Perfume that I've been feeling for a while but haven't put into words. I'm curious if any else feels similar?

Already discussed, but I agree that this isn't particularly controversial. I think a lot of people in this thread feel similarly. LEVEL3 and CAPS LOCK are the last albums I really enjoyed with Nakata as producer, and I can't say the stuff he's done with KPP and Perfume recently have inspired much confidence. (Capsule I just assume is dead; certainly the Capsule I loved from a decade+ ago is.)

I went through some older videos when people were talking about their favourite Perfume MVs, and it just reminded me of how amazing Perfume was around the time of JPN/LEVEL3 and how disappointing they've been in the Cosmic Explorer era (minus Pick Me Up, which is still outstanding).

Aiii

So not worth it
Hirate's "Boku wa ya da"
n6DZ7.png
n6DZ7.png

God I love this song, and I love the choreography on it. I have watched the MV for this way too many times.

Kurita

God I love this song, and I love the choreography on it. I have watched the MV for this way too many times.
I hear you. It's the first idol CD I've ever bought lol
Like, I just saw the video and it blew my mind, grabbed the single on its release day. I never really paid attention to them before (I thought Silent Majority was interesting) but this song opened my eyes. The potential of this group is pretty insane imo, they've got something that I don't find in AKB or Nogizaka.
I guess it helps that I watch their show and know all the members... lol (Shida and Akane 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻)

It's like a remix of moon. I'd never heard it before, so I just assumed it was a new version of that song.

Yeah you're right

Aiii

So not worth it
I hear you. It's the first idol CD I've ever bought lol
Like, I just saw the video and it blew my mind, grabbed the single on its release day. I never really paid attention to them before (I thought Silent Majority was interesting) but this song opened my eyes. The potential of this group is pretty insane imo, they've got something that I don't find in AKB or Nogizaka.
I guess it helps that I watch their show and know all the members... lol (Shida and Akane 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻)

Yeah they're oddly fascinating. I have no interest in idol music except Keyakizaka (and I suppose Babymetal count as well), but there's just something about this group that's different.

Not sure, maybe I'm just buying into it. I wouldn't even have properly known they existed had Amazon not been streaming Tokuyama Daigoro wo Dare ga Koroshitaka?

FYI My thoughts on the new Perfume "If You Wanna" seem to cover the whole spectrum I'm reading here. At first I was like "Hmm more recent stale Nakata stuff" but then after listening to it a couple times and watching the video I am all about it. Nothing revolutionary but a solid banger.

Slowdive

Banned
Seiko Oomori deleted her twitter, due to some sort of drama but it seems like it might be a publicity stunt since the lyrics in Ryusei Heaven mention virtual suicide. I didn't know DMs got deleted too, I should've saved them. :(

Mariko Goto is back on Twitter.

Top Bottom