• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

tiijj

lol If I was rich I would buy that one too just for my collection. But I have enough Red 3DS systems o-o;

Can't wait, but I am also getting the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL lol.

I got groudon too but the white 3ds seems to look better with most cover plates. It makes me want the white kyogre version. But I can't change that now.

anyone have any experience sending stuff back to japan? paypal are telling me to send my item back by tracked & signed delivery, which is going to cost me nearly ~£100 by fedex? Is there a cheaper option/what can I do?

Also can anyone tell me the exact weight/dimensions of the n3dsLL w/ box?

anyone have any experience sending stuff back to japan? paypal are telling me to send my item back by tracked & signed delivery, which is going to cost me nearly ~£100 by fedex? Is there a cheaper option/what can I do?

Also can anyone tell me the exact weight/dimensions of the n3dsLL w/ box?

Is this about the system you dropped? You're sending it back to whom? It would be easier (and probably cheaper too) if you just bought a new one.

I got groudon too but the white 3ds seems to look better with most cover plates. It makes me want the white kyogre version. But I can't change that now.
I think all n3DS has removable covers. So never too late to change.
Been playing Hakoboi lately...

Sorry if this was already asked, but is the official n3DS LL charging stand worth it? It costs about $21 to import here. Is it better/worse than the regular 3DS LL cradle?

No, I gave up hope of fixing that, I bought a new one and it came through slightly damaged, now i'm somewhat shafted :(

In that case... Parcelforce? Parcelforce should be about £65, which is still terrible. I really don't know. I've been burned badly by DOA imports in the past :/

Chopper

So, If I told you I owned an OG 3ds first and then got a 3ds xl... What should I go for, a regular n3ds or xl?

It you did the same, do you miss the xl screen size?
I did exactly the same. OG 3DS -> XL -> New 3DS (regular).

I struggled with your decision for a long time, and bit on the Ambassador version. I do not miss the bigger screens one little bit. I've played Mario Golf, Link Between Worlds, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Gunman Clive 2 on the system, and they all look absolutely beautiful.

Not to mention, the cover plates are an hilariously fun feature. Go for it.

Yes, but you need an power adapter since different voltages.
Found some pics:

cXLHSAIl.jpg
35RLWkz.jpg

Do I really need a power adapter? JP says 100-120.

tiijj

I think all n3DS has removable covers. So never too late to change.
Been playing Hakoboi lately...

I gotta purchase another 3ds to change it though which is too expensive but tempting lol. Maybe, just maybe when they release the regular size 3DS here in NA I might get the white one.

I gotta purchase another 3ds to change it though which is too expensive but tempting lol. Maybe, just maybe when they release the regular size 3DS here in NA I might get the white one.
I have been loving my white n3DS so if my word is anything.
If NoA decides to not be stupid and release the n3DS, I will get black to complete the collection.

tiijj

I have been loving my white n3DS so if my word is anything.
If NoA decides to not be stupid and release the n3DS, I will get black to complete the collection.

I prefer black console/portable but the white one really does look great on most cover plates.

Prophane33

Oh yeah, you are right that it converts from 200 volt for you.
So you should be fine.

I always learned from traveling abroad that US plugs are 200+ volt, so more often than not converters are needed.

US Plugs are 120 Volt, JP are 100. The difference in voltage is minimal, hence US and JP plugs being interchangeable. (as well as it listing 100-120V).

I believe UK uses 230v. So only then would someone have to get some sort of converter.

cuilan

So I now have 430 points in my JP Club Nintendo account, and I'm not sure if I should spend them now or wait. I'm mainly interested in games (and eShop credit), and the only two 3DS-compatible games available right now that I'm really interested in are Zelda 1 and Nazo no Murasame-jo. Will there be more items added to the program before it gets shut down?

US Plugs are 120 Volt, JP are 100. The difference in voltage is minimal, hence US and JP plugs being interchangeable. (as well as it listing 100-120V).

I believe UK uses 230v. So only then would someone have to get some sort of converter.
Ah, so that is what I was think of.
My bad! I got UK and US switched.

Also Mario Picross is way more fun than I was expecting.

So I now have 430 points in my JP Club Nintendo account, and I'm not sure if I should spend them now or wait. I'm mainly interested in games (and eShop credit), and the only two 3DS-compatible games available right now that I'm really interested in are Zelda 1 and Nazo no Murasame-jo. Will there be more items added to the program before it gets shut down?
Yeah, internationally new rewards will pop up in Feb.

Edit: Ghosting seems the same. They tout the new 3D mechanic but I lose the effect just as easy as last time. Overall more happy with looks than anything goes else.

Hadn't planned on picking one up because I don't play a ton with my existing JP OG 3DS, but a good deal came up in the BST thread right after a pretty good Vegas trip and I need those Kyary Faceplates... so I folded.

I like how we are at the point where the Manual is the thing that is keeping the box as big as it is.

In that case... Parcelforce? Parcelforce should be about £65, which is still terrible. I really don't know. I've been burned badly by DOA imports in the past :/

Very strange, Royal Mail did it for just shy of £18 with tracking+signature so yeah I'm good to go hopefully.

It really is crappy, and it turned into a bit of a he-said, she-said between Fedex and NY. Not very happy at all. Another shitty thing that I noticed was when I got the n3ds LL on release, they sent me a regular n3ds charging dock instead of a LL one, despite me ordering the LL version. Sadly I didn't really notice in time as I was away at uni, and at this point I'm absolutely sick of them lol. Gonna stick to digital games too for imports now I think..

Vitacat

Edit: Ghosting seems the same. They tout the new 3D mechanic but I lose the effect just as easy as last time. Overall more happy with looks than anything goes else.

You are the first and only person I've seen claiming the new stable 3d feature doesn't work significantly better than the previous models. Not sure what to think.

You are the first and only person I've seen claiming the new stable 3d feature doesn't work significantly better than the previous models. Not sure what to think.
I do notice it does great when 1 foot away, but holding the system at stomach level it does not do so well. So maybe that is why.
The sweet spot seems to be close to the same if you hold it 2 feet away.
Although many people claimed the sweet spot was hard to get when I never had an issue. I will say the sweet spot is much easier to get now which is good.

Oh, I found a video that details each system pretty well.
NEW 3DS vs. NEW 3DS XL - Ultimate Comparison!: http://youtu.be/_wlUnR8DfDU

Edit: Also the 3D tech is the same, but the new system can track your eyes to adjust the effect. So yeah.

Yasawas

Hey, I hadn't even noticed they had downloadable games other than the Picross one I set my account up for ages ago, thanks! Europe seems to be the only region where they don't do this so I'm not used to it. I don't know how much use I'll get out of Zelda or Balloon Fight but I'm as well having them as not.

Hey, I hadn't even noticed they had downloadable games other than the Picross one I set my account up for ages ago, thanks! Europe seems to be the only region where they don't do this so I'm not used to it. I don't know how much use I'll get out of Zelda or Balloon Fight but I'm as well having them as not.
Zelda may be a bit harder if you cannot read the text, but Balloon Fight should be fine.
All Picross games you can do just fine since numbers are in English. Virtual Console selection is very nice.

kubus

There are 20 new Virtual Console games planned for the Japanese Club Nintendo catalog, as well as a special downloadable game/application called "Nikki's Travel Quiz" which will cost 80 points. No idea when they'll add those things to the site though (they said "soon")

meppi

Great thanks for that. What do you recommend first purchase should be then......also its sad to admit I've never played majora's mask.....dont come at me with torches and pitchforks gaf lol.

Depends on what you are looking for really.

For DS classics I'd certainly hunt down the following titles:
Meteos
Zoo Keeper
Catch! Touch! Yoshi! / Yoshi Touch & Go!
Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 1&2
Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary
Picross DS
Megaman ZX
Luminous Arc
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Advance Wars: Dark Conlict
Bangai-O Spirits (this should be at the top of your list ;) )
Elite Beat Agents
The World Ends With You
Soul Bubbles
Ketsui Death Label
Illust Logic + Colorful Ilust (brilliant if you love Picross)
Dragon Quest 4,5,6 and 9
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Rhythm Tengoku
Picross 3D
Luminous Arc 1&2
Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition: Kanzenban
Loopop Cube: Lup * Salad (brilliant underrated platform puzzle game)
Metal Slug 7

That's quite a list, so I'll keep it at that. ;)

As for 3DS I would certainly pick up an New 3DS XL with Majora's Mask.
I've played every single Zelda game besides the Cdi ones, yes, even the Game & Watch. ;)
And Majora's Mask is my favourite 3D outing just like ALTTP is my favourite 2D one with A Link Between Worlds a close second.

You'll certainly find plenty of 3DS recommendations, so I'll just name a couple of indie/DL games that you might want to check out.

Steamworld Dig
VVVVVV
Cave Story
The Sega 3D Classics line
Attack of the Friday Monsters
ePicross series
Hydroventure Spin Cycle
Dillon's Rolling Western
Summer Carnival Recca 92
Pullblox and Fallblox
Paper Plane (DSi)
Bird & Bombs (DSi)
Crimson Shroud
Harmony Knight
3D Classics Xevious if you love the original
Shovel Knight
Sayonara Umiharakawase

Even though I already have a 3DS since launch, and an XL since that one came out, also have an ambassador n3DS and waiting for the release of the XL version as I want to make that one my main system.
I'm getting closer and closer to ordering a Japanese n3DS XL.
I thought there only would be a couple of games that would interest me for it, but I'm surprised when browsing online Japanese shops at how many exclusives never came out over here.

Only have Dragon Quest VII, Ex Troopers and Monster Hunter 4 right now as well as Sayonara Umihara Kawase which I bought before it looked like it was coming to the west.
And even though I know very few people might be interested in it, I just ordered Zoo Keeper 3D, which I didn't even know existed till about 30 minutes ago! :)
It was my first DS game when I picked up my Japanese launch model and still one of the games that I keep going back to year after year. So a 3DS version is an insta buy for me.

Does anyone now how is Puyo Puyo!! 20th anniversary for 3DS? Not Puyo Puyo Tetris but the one that came out before that. The best price edition is pretty cheap right now on amiami, and since tetris is both pricey and difficult to find, I was thinking to buy this one for now.

For what it's worth, I recently ordered this too on the basis of recommendations from Puyo Nexus and other Puyo series fans. From what I understand it's got the most extensive collection of modes of any Puyo Puyo game ever -- 20 modes in total -- and 24 characters you can use. It's also got online play.

If you want a preview of the game you can get the Puyo Puyo 20th 'mini-version' on the JP eShop for like 200 yen. It's basically a paid demo with 4 modes.

Some info on the game and some useful codes are available here:

http://puyonexus.net/wiki/Puyo_Puyo!!_20th_Anniversary

Meffer

Recently got HakuBoy and man is this a great game. It's very simple to the point that anybody can play it since the game shows you the aspects of its gameplay so well, so reading isn't needed. Great music to boot and Haku himself is surprisingly well animated for a square.

Banjoman

For what it's worth, I recently ordered this too on the basis of recommendations from Puyo Nexus and other Puyo series fans. From what I understand it's got the most extensive collection of modes of any Puyo Puyo game ever -- 20 modes in total -- and 24 characters you can use. It's also got online play.

If you want a preview of the game you can get the Puyo Puyo 20th 'mini-version' on the JP eShop for like 200 yen. It's basically a paid demo with 4 modes.

Some info on the game and some useful codes are available here:

http://puyonexus.net/wiki/Puyo_Puyo!!_20th_Anniversary
Thanks. It seems like a great purchase, at least for that price.

Chao

I struggled with your decision for a long time, and bit on the Ambassador version. I do not miss the bigger screens one little bit. I've played Mario Golf, Link Between Worlds, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Gunman Clive 2 on the system, and they all look absolutely beautiful.

Thanks! Still have a couple of weeks before the system launches here, I will check demo units in case they're available before feb 13th

Highwind

Did the same.

Had an ambassador OG 3DS but upgraded to XL cause the hardware was complete shite. Went for the regular n3DS (ambassador edition) as I like the faceplates and the form factor but hate the goliath that is the 3DS XL.

Don't miss the screen size one bit. Image was crappy imo.

I have the DS version of Puyo Puyo 20th, is the 3DS version better?

I don't know what the DS version has but the 3DS version is just arcade mode and versus, nothing extra.

edit: Actually I think the Puyo game I own is Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary: Mini Version which is apparently the full game stripped bare and thrown on the eShop for cheap. Whoops!

There are 20 new Virtual Console games planned for the Japanese Club Nintendo catalog, as well as a special downloadable game/application called "Nikki's Travel Quiz" which will cost 80 points. No idea when they'll add those things to the site though (they said "soon")

Nikki's Travel Quiz is a Japanese Club Nintendo game!?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!

:'(

kubus

Nikki's Travel Quiz is a Japanese Club Nintendo game!?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!

:'(
I'm sure they'll (eventually) release it on the eShop too! I mean, they have to, with Club Nintendo ending :(

Edit: oh wait, you don't have a Japanese 3DS maybe? ........ They'll localize it! Probably!
Maybe :(

I'm sure they'll (eventually) release it on the eShop too! I mean, they have to, with Club Nintendo ending :(

Edit: oh wait, you don't have a Japanese 3DS maybe? ........ They'll localize it! Probably!
Maybe :(

Nope no Japanese 3DS and now maybe no Nikki game too.
This is too much. I'm going to go lie down
...and cry

I just came in here to check out some cool faceplates :(

Halabane

Anyone have Tenso take more than a day after delivery (business day) to post that they got the packages?

Been two days and they usually post the day it arrives. I have sent them an email but no response.

Letep

Grabbed Kid Icarus Uprising again, as I figure the constant chatter will be good for listening practice while I play, and the price is pretty good. The head-tracking is so nice in this game. If you've held off on playing it, there's absolutely no excuse now.

Can you use the c-stick for movement?

Top Bottom