• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Is it really that much bigger than Pokemon at it's peak? I was under the assumption it was comparable but didn't think it eclipsed it by that much.

It's as big as Pokemon was at its peak in Japan - arguably bigger (I'm pretty sure that the anime and manga components are bigger than Pokemon was in those areas). It's much, much bigger than anything else ever has been outside of Japan, to the point where if you don't understand how Japan can be about these things you cannot possibly be imagining just how prevalent something can be.

Impotaku

It may not matter, since the Amazon Japan prices for the first game aren't that good, but usually you can get it for veeeery cheap here. Seems like it was semi-successful enough to get a sequel, but I predict the prices on this one will fall very soon, so you are better off waiting. On a side note, the first game wasn't really good to be honest.

Thanks for the info, yeah i'll definatley be holding off a while yet as it has quite a high price on Amazon like you say, i'm curious was there ever a regular version of the 2nd game? all i can find is either a premium edition or a bonus edition i'm guessing the bonus edition is probably the normal version, will start with the 2nd game and wait for the first one to eventually come down in price. Been grinding away on the demo 10 hours in and a lot of stuff ready to carry over to the proper game with the save transfer when i pick up a cart copy, with the auto battle function i can watch tv and just fight without looking at the screen much.

Before I moved away from Germany, I used www.japan-codes.com to buy the codes I wanted. Back then the EUR-JPY rate was pretty good too, so that's that. I may set up a prepaid card site someday lol.

I can totally recommend that place as well, i have used them many times in the past to get hold of Japanese itunes credit, their prices are pretty reasonable they don't seem to have a huge markup compared to what play asia charge.

aza

Before I moved away from Germany, I used www.japan-codes.com to buy the codes I wanted. Back then the EUR-JPY rate was pretty good too, so that's that. I may set up a prepaid card site someday lol.

Thanks for the link! Looks perfect and prices seem fair. I think I'll set up a prepaid card and use that. Either the MasterCard or Visa should be good to go on Yahoo Auctions, right?

D

Deleted member 480362

Unconfirmed Member
I got Youkai Watch 2 Shin-uchi in the mail today. Will play when I get home.

For now I'm just looking at the case and marveling at the shiny. The shiny. SHINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. 10/10 game because SHINY.

Do you recommend getting the first one first or skipping it straight to the Shin-uchi version?

Nevermind, I didn't see the posts right below this guys post asking the same thing.

So I caved and bought the n3DS in black. Also got the Jibanyan, Blue/White Stripe, Green and Blue Gingham faceplates. I want the mint one next :)
I placed a preorder for Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, I don't know if it will be coming over but just to be sure, I went ahead and preordered my copy.
Wondering now if I should grab Project Mirai Deluxe, I want the free theme lol, but I may just hold off and stay with the American version which I already have preordered at Amazon. Hopefully America gets the Miku theme :)

D

Deleted member 480362

Unconfirmed Member
VEb5gws.jpg

My current collection. More on the way! I'm studying Japanese and figured that this could help a bit so I put my tax return to good use.

One trick I really like to use for parts that I want to know what its saying is to use the Google Translate app to point my camera at the screen "scan" the screen and it will translate everything on the screen. it works very well for menus and parts where I have choices/options but not so well for story stuff (which doesn't matter much since I got these to practice reading anyways, but the google translate app trick really helps out for answers I need immediately)

One thing I'm pretty surprised about is when I downloaded the Final Fantasy Explorers Lite version the menus were much easier to read then Dragon Quest Monsters 2's menus are to read. FFExplorers has much more katakana so far.

I'm loving the badge collecting crane game thing so far. Already spent about ¥500 on that so far so I gotta be careful with that one.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 was one of my favorite gameboy games as a kid and it's really good so far, I'm just a little disappointed that, so far, my party of monsters don't follow me like they used to in the gameboy game!

the capcom game "gaisuto" is pretty fun but the main thing I like about it so far is full voice acting with Japanese text. Seems like it's nice for practicing reading.

I haven't played Senran Kagura 2 yet.

I'm also loving how nice the normal New 3DS feels, it just feels really high quality and the default plates kinda feel like they are even made of metal too. Very solid nice system.

Has anyone that ordered the Majora's Mask and Kirby faceplates gotten theirs shipped yet? I preordered with PlayAsia as soon as they went up back in January and they are sold out. My order status still reads as "Preparing Order" with them at the moment and I'm beginning to find this pretty frustrating as it is now several days after the plates officially launched....

Has anyone that ordered the Majora's Mask and Kirby faceplates gotten theirs shipped yet? I preordered with PlayAsia as soon as they went up back in January and they are sold out. My order status still reads as "Preparing Order" with them at the moment and I'm beginning to find this pretty frustrating as it is now several days after the plates officially launched....
Still waiting on my Nin-Nin order as well. From what I emailed, they say that they should be shipping Amiibos and cover plates this week.

I'm also loving how nice the normal New 3DS feels, it just feels really high quality and the default plates kinda feel like they are even made of metal too. Very solid nice system.
Yeah, I was skeptic about the new line, but playing my Japan import for awhile and it is easily the best 3DS currently. Getting my PAL version in March. Most of my cover plates from EU are expected late Feb/early March as well. Gonna Monster Hunter the system up yo!

Still waiting on my Nin-Nin order as well. From what I emailed, they say that they should be shipping Amiibos and cover plates this week.

I'm hoping they come soon for both our sakes >.< Can't wait as I currently put the Dire Moon theme on the system and the Majora's Mask Faceplates will definitely compliment it.

On the subject of Nin-Nin, I am also happy to say that I FINALLY got around to preordering the Bravely Second Collector's Pack, so now the long wait to April begins... But at least I have MH4U and Majora's Mask to take up that time

At this point, while there is also a part of me that hopes the smaller system will come to the US at some point this year, I'm really tempted to maybe import the standard n3DS from the UK at this point....

At this point, while there is also a part of me that hopes the smaller system will come to the US at some point this year, I'm really tempted to maybe import the standard n3DS from the UK at this point....
I jumped the gun because Amazon.fr was selling it for $130 EU with $10 EU shipping.
That is $160 USD which will be cheaper than if the system came here.

Although I really want the regular system to come here as well because I want people to be able to buy it here.

Holy crap at that markup. All of the nope.
Edit: Also 8000¥ at Nin-Nin for both Zelda plates. Is it going to be that limited?

I just want Play Asia to ship the items I paid for at this point and will consider not purchasing from them again after I receive my Magnolia Arch statue this April.... Seriously, there should've been no reason for the plates to be this delayed...

tiijj

Should have hit that when it was $22. I think shipping is why I didn't ($17 minimum to states)

I think it was less than that. The expensive ones are the ones that will get to you in a couple or so days. The cheaper alternative was less than a 1000 yen but it will take a couple of weeks.

I bought 2 plates from nippon yasan and I was billed 1,090 yen for eco sal registered (2-3 weeks with tracking and insurance). I checked by adding 2 plates and it's now showing 1,340 yen. I think they increased the postage as well LOL.

DoctorZ

Are there EU retailers that ship to the US and will have faceplates in stock or are they already sold out? I didn't really the look of the MM ones to be honest, but seeing how rare these are I feel like I want to get my hands on one.

I have a question and hopefully it hasnt been answered already.

Are there any japanese 3ds games that are in full english as well?

I imported a new 3ds while I wait for gateway for my games, is there anything I can buy that will work in the japanese new 3ds but be in full english or anything with an option to enable english

Thanks All !

I have a question and hopefully it hasnt been answered already.

Are there any japanese 3ds games that are in full english as well?

I imported a new 3ds while I wait for gateway for my games, is there anything I can buy that will work in the japanese new 3ds but be in full english or anything with an option to enable english

Thanks All !

Bravely Default: For the Sequel is completely playable in English. After the initial cutscenes, you can select it from the in-game menu. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is also completely playable in English.

Bravely Default: For the Sequel is completely playable in English. After the initial cutscenes, you can select it from the in-game menu. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is also completely playable in English.
You can also do well with games that are not text heavy.
Hakoboi is my favorite one.
Taiko no Tatsujin is very fun.

chadi

Aside from those 2, there's also Pokemon. Can't really think of anything else other than those.

Anyway, DAMN. Play-Asia is not selling those EU-exclusive MonHun faceplates. D: Can't order from Amazon.de due to the high cost of international shipping. The Zelda ones are also either overpriced or sold out everywhere except Amazon.de...

tiijj

Aside from those 2, there's also Pokemon. Can't really think of anything else other than those.

Anyway, DAMN. Play-Asia is not selling those EU-exclusive MonHun faceplates. D: Can't order from Amazon.de due to the high cost of international shipping. The Zelda ones are also either overpriced or sold out everywhere except Amazon.de...

If you're looking for a black one, game.co.uk has one. I was thinking of picking one up and I tried to check the costs of shipping to toronto, it is 2.99 gbp. It costs a little bit more since it's in gbp vs the amazon.de which uses euro.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/new-3ds-co...6892?pageSize=20&searchTerm=plate&catGroupId=

chadi

If you're looking for a black one, game.co.uk has one. I was thinking of picking one up and I tried to check the costs of shipping to toronto, it is 2.99 gbp. It costs a little bit more since it's in gbp vs the amazon.de which uses euro.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/new-3ds-co...6892?pageSize=20&searchTerm=plate&catGroupId=

Thank you! I tried ordering one but unfortunately they're not shipping to the Philippines. :\ I know there are forwarding services that ships from US to PH though so I guess there's still hope. Hopefully it won't cost too much... ^^;

kubus

so, any idea when we'll be able to pre-order that xenoblade faceplate?

The Spreadsheet is completely updated, I've been eyeing all sites like a hawk. Looks like Nippon-Yasan will be our only hope, if they ever do decide to list the Xenoplate. All other sites are sold out or asking scalper prices (lol nin-nin game)

You live in Japan right? I think amazon.co.jp is already sold out but maybe better luck at other JP stores :(

Zornica

Banned
The Spreadsheet is completely updated, I've been eyeing all sites like a hawk. Looks like Nippon-Yasan will be our only hope, if they ever do decide to list the Xenoplate. All other sites are sold out or asking scalper prices (lol nin-nin game)

You live in Japan right? I think amazon.co.jp is already sold out but maybe better luck at other JP stores :(

yeah, thanks. I guess I missed my chance T_T
haven't seen any pre-order offers anywhere yet, but I'm sure I'd be able to buy one on launch day from a 2nd hand store, unopened for 6000 yen. fucking scalpers.

btw, thanks for all the work you put into the spreadsheet!

there should be another site I used to order from about 2 years ago.. to bad I can't remember their url (or that shops name)
but they were quite cheap - usually cheaper than amazon. I only remember the green design layout of their website...

chadi

Thanks for doing this. The spreadsheet is really helpful. :) Too bad stuff get sold out way too fast... And those that have some in stock have exorbitant prices!

So far I'm interested in getting 4 cover plates (MH Black, MH White, Triforce, Xenoblade) and none of them are available on the 2 sites I usually order from: Play-Asia and Nippon Yasan. Haven't tried AmiAmi yet cos I never got the chance to since they're always sold out. Lol.

New Kirby plate turned up today, looks fantastic.

IMG_0509%20res.jpg

IMG_0510%20res.jpg

18 plates to the collection & counting lol.

That looks amazing especially on white. :)

hi there fellow New 3DS importers. i had asked this question in the wrong thread so maybe someone here can help me out. i just received my Japanese New 3DS today and i was wondering what games are available in the eshop that don't require too much knowledge of the Japanese language. any help would be most appreciated. thanks

D

Deleted member 480362

Unconfirmed Member
hi there fellow New 3DS importers. i had asked this question in the wrong thread so maybe someone here can help me out. i just received my Japanese New 3DS today and i was wondering what games are available in the eshop that don't require too much knowledge of the Japanese language. any help would be most appreciated. thanks

If you go in the eshop, on the lower categories you will see one with the image of youtube on it. This is where most "Free" games are located. get all the free games and software. One you will get while doing this has a pink face on it. This is a crane game that lets you play daily to try and win badges/stickers you can place on the homescreen either are decorations or replacement icons for the default system software such as the eshop icon or the streetpass plaza icon.

I would say just go through and test all the free stuff you just got from this though. then after you have a feel for how other games might feel in japanese.

Here is a trick if you REALLY want to know what you are answering when you are asked something. use your android phone and get the google translate app. you can use this to "scan" the screen and translate the japanese you see. it will be a really bad translation but it should give you some kind hint as to what is being asked and whet the choices do. most the time though if you don't care what the questions are asking hitting "a" is usually the good answer

If you really want to open your options up learn katakana. I have found that most menus in the games I've tried use Katakana, the japanese "characters" that are used to write out foreign words that actually sound very english most of the time,
for example, &#12473;&#12486;&#12479;&#12473;&#12288;= su te ta su, or status

Drago

New Kirby plate turned up today, looks fantastic.

IMG_0509%20res.jpg

IMG_0510%20res.jpg

18 plates to the collection & counting lol.
Dang, that looks really nice. Matte, too!

Will have to consider it, it looks great. Right now I'm just waiting for my wood plates to show up from Amazon UK.

does anybody here know how to display english text in Bravely Default: For The Sequel? i read a couple pages back you can do it after the initial cutscene but i'm so lost. any help is appreciated!

Etria

So zero chance to find the xenoblade/black triforce plates now correct? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

The triforce faceplate is coming soon to AU/NZ, Germany, and Italy, iirc.
Depends on where you live, I guess, and if you can import from any stores.

EDIT: Haven't heard anything about the Xenoblade faceplate though. Hoping that it doesn't stay in Japan...

does anybody here know how to display english text in Bravely Default: For The Sequel? i read a couple pages back you can do it after the initial cutscene but i'm so lost. any help is appreciated!

Open the in-game menu, select "Tactics" (the last option), select "Config" (the last option), then select "Message Settings" (third option).

The first two options on this screen are "Voice" and "Text" settings respectively. English is the last option from the options available after selecting "Voice" and/or "Text". Exit the menu with "B" and the in-game text should change.

I hope I didn't over explain the process. Lemme know if you need more help!

D

Deleted member 480362

Unconfirmed Member
Open the in-game menu, select "Tactics" (the last option), select "Config" (the last option), then select "Message Settings" (third option).

The first two options on this screen are "Voice" and "Text" settings respectively. English is the last option from the options available after selecting "Voice" and/or "Text". Exit the menu with "B" and the in-game text should change.

I hope I didn't over explain the process. Lemme know if you need more help!

It should also be noted that this only works in the physical retail version of the game. the new free to play version doesn't have these options

ryushe

Man, I'm worried my tenso package might've been picked up by customs or worse. It's been about 4 days now (I did the EMS option), and still no package or shipment update. :/

It should also be noted that this only works in the physical retail version of the game. the new free to play version doesn't have these options
the free to play version was the one i have unfortunatey. when i hit the eshop button it doesn't have a purchase option. why even put the eshop button in the first place?

D

Deleted member 480362

Unconfirmed Member
the free to play version was the one i have unfortunatey. when i hit the eshop button it doesn't have a purchase option. why even put the eshop button in the first place?

That version does not in any way have an English option, you have to buy the actual physical version of "Bravely Default: For the Sequel" The digital one doesn't have the option at all, even once you fully purchase it. (btw you purchase the full game in game, not from the eShop, but if you want English don't)

catmario

I tried to get Xenoblade faceplate for new 3DS at Amazon Japan, but I couldn't catch that.

More hilarious thing is that, the scalpers now reselling this at nearly 9000 yen, right after when this completely sold out.

Curse you scalpers. :(

tiijj

I tried to get Xenoblade faceplate for new 3DS at Amazon Japan, but I couldn't catch that.

More hilarious thing is that, the scalpers now reselling this at nearly 9000 yen, right after when this completely sold out.

Curse you scalpers. :(

Third party sellers price for the xenoblade plate has always been around 9k yen. When amazon.co.jp got some stock, the price went down to the msrp of 2k+. It's difficult to avoid scalpers on limited edition products.

Top Bottom